[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 218 KB, 461x567, hume.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10789976 No.10789976 [Reply] [Original]

Is the life dedicated to art or inquiry, e.g. that of philosophy, science, literature, incompatible with the married life? Philosophers like Plato, Rousseau, and Neetchee seem to believe that they are incompatible. There are also a significant number of unmarried philosophers, scientists, artists, etc. in history. What are your thoughts on this, /lit/?

I'm hopelessly in love and I need to know whether or not this sentiment is wrong. I need books for this feel my friends.

>> No.10789996

>>10789976
jus be yourself

>> No.10790239
File: 184 KB, 703x785, fox.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An excerpt from Xiaofei Kang's "Sex with Foxes: Fantasy and Power in Traditional Chinese Stories"

Its hard to truly devote yourself to higher pursuits when you'd rather bust nuts in the woman you love.

>> No.10790260

Chuang Tzu's wife died. When Hui Tzu went to convey his condolences, he found Chuang Tzu sitting with his legs sprawled out, pounding on a tub and singing. "You lived with her, she brought up your children and grew old," said Hui Tzu. "It should be enough simply not to weep at her death. But pounding on a tub and singing - this is going too far, isn't it?"

Chuang Tzu said, "You're wrong. When she first died, do you think I didn't grieve like anyone else? But I looked back to her beginning and the time before she was born. Not only the time before she was born, but the time before she had a body. Not only the time before she had a body, but the time before she had a spirit. In the midst of the jumble of wonder and mystery a change took place and she had a spirit. Another change and she had a body. Another change and she was born. Now there's been another change and she's dead. It's just like the progression of the four seasons, spring, summer, fall, winter.

"Now she's going to lie down peacefully in a vast room. If I were to follow after her bawling and sobbing, it would show that I don't understand anything about fate. So I stopped."

>> No.10790262

>>10789976
OP do you really expect to be at the caliber as those guys?

>> No.10790278

>>10789976
I mean... You're gonna end up spending more time with your loved one if you want to be a good partner, so naturally you're gonna have less time to pursue whatever artistic desire you want to dedicate your life to.

Especially if you want to dedicate your life to philosophy or some sort of spiritual pursuit, which goes indepth about how desire of the flesh will only taint your soul.

So I'd say, depending on your definition of a life dedicated to the art of inquiry, it doesn't make it outright incompatible, but does make it somewhat more difficult.

>> No.10790298
File: 8 KB, 287x300, socrates.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."

>> No.10790778

>>10790262
I'd like to be, which is why I'm asking. Although I do think that the very fact that I'm asking already excludes me from that group

>>10790298
>A married philosopher belongs in a comedy, that's my principle. And Socrates, the exception, the malicious Socrates, it appears, got married ironically to demonstrate this very principle.

>> No.10791783

>>10789976
A relationship costs. Mental energy, time; once you fell in love, your mind starts to pollute. But this can produce art, if you know how. The real problem is living together: to be unable to stay in solitude, with yourself, to be unable to think alone and produce something worthwile.

>> No.10791786

>>10790778
He was wrong and also secretly admired Soc

>> No.10791789

nigga i just love big booty bitches