[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 45 KB, 300x400, zizek hegel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10759466 No.10759466 [Reply] [Original]

According to [what I think I understand from] Zizek, whatever attempts at social models we come up with and claim are "modern", are truly just many different ways of trying to come to terms with a fundamental "struggle" that lies at the core of our lives, in every aspect. This "struggle" is not something we can push aside, but rather is the thing from which we start, the departing point of our way of thinking, so to speak.

All fine and dandy, but now I'd like to consider things such as this opinion piece about Japan ( https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/05/how-japan-weaves-caring-and-sharing-into-all-layers-of-society ). In this (and also in other sources) it is claimed that the Japanese are effectively removing "struggle" from their society (at least in the way I understand it, which is also open to correction). They are "polite" or "orderly" to the point that everyone clearly knows which directions to take in order to do absolutely anything. They don't have to truly come into contact with anyone unwillingly, there are no doubts of where to go and daily conflict has virtually been eliminated.

Now, I assume this trend is able to disseminate into other areas of their lives (or even stemmed from there, if the archetypes about their work ethics are to be true), which means that, regardless of whether or not there is still "struggle" in this society, their participants have been made to largely ignore and/or suppress it through social order. Which leads me to my point (of which things like https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/05/20/national/media-national/miserable-case-unhappiness-surging-japan/#.WpNbt-fQ_Dc are related to): if people needed to start from this "struggle" in order to build their relations with external things, is a society like Japan not taking away their humanity rather than becoming more humanized? Are they not practicing something akin to "inhumanism", that we should actually not strive to get to? I'd very much like to read more about this (from the point of view of a society like Japan's), are there actually any books which *criticize* Japan's (and I guess any other insular society like theirs) "politeness"?

>> No.10760281

>>10759466

Shameless bump from the n-th page

>> No.10760334

>>10759466
I only just recently watched pervert's guide to ideology and although I understand what he's talking about, his lisp make it so I have to rewind and listen again. Why do all recent intellectuals have horrible voices? Like Jordan Peterson sounds so stupid man. I question to think what other philosophers sounded like.