[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 255 KB, 566x848, question mark.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1075567 No.1075567 [Reply] [Original]

Have you ever withheld a recommended for a book to someone who you think would like it just because you really enjoyed it?

I do this sometimes and I feel a little ashamed. When I read something I really connect with sometimes I don't want to share it with people close to me even if I think they would love it. I'm not entirely sure why, it sort of feels like watching a lover fall in love with someone else.

>> No.1075571

... No, dude. I can't say I've ever done this. Ever. Frankly I think that's kinda weird. If anything, I'm the opposite; I get cut when friends ask me for recommendations only to not follow them at all.

>> No.1075572

I'm the opposite.

When I connect with something and really, truly enjoy it, I want to share it with everyone I know. I want them to feel as great as I felt when I made that connection.

Not like watching a lover fall in love with someone else, though. I am a very jealous man.

>> No.1075573

I do the opposite by avoiding books I know people I hate enjoyed even if the books themselves seem completely alright.

>> No.1075576

Yeah I figured I was a freak. it's weird because I do like giving recommendations and fitting the right book with the right person but sometimes if it's a book I really love I just want to keep it to myself.

>> No.1075583

>>1075576
Or if I find out someone else loves it I feel like they couldn't possibly understand and connect with it the way I do.

The move I try to put the feeling into words the more it reminds me of the feeling you get when an ex-girlfriend starts seeing someone else.

>> No.1075588

>Have you ever withheld a recommended for a book to someone

Wait, what?

>> No.1075601

i understand what you're getting at OP

if I knew anyone irl who read I might consider doing it. Or at least saying "You wouldn't like it, 2deep4u" but in a nicer way.

>> No.1075624

>>1075583

I used to hate when I gave someone a perfect book and they just didn't get it ... espcially someone I had a crush on :P

>> No.1075651

i don't usually share the books I've read, but the one time I read Neuropath I told everyone to stay the fuck away because it was depressing and made life look bleak, yet it was a good book. It was pure evil.

>> No.1075679

>>1075651
I just read the summary and it doesn't sound great, but I'll take your word for it. Have you read 'Feed' by M.T. Anderson? It's YA sci-fi (I guess), but holy fuck is it a depressing read. And it just gets more and more depressing as you go. I loved it, but I like depressing media.