[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.81 MB, 1200x1834, 1_LVhpseA3efRrIu41tA3g0g.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10713300 No.10713300 [Reply] [Original]

ALL RIGHT so PER the schedule we should be finishing up Ficciones today/tomorrow, but since the last stories are 4 to 7 pages in length, I feel it appropriate we call it today and discuss over the next day or two. This thread is for that discussion and also for the discussion of what we should read next. We will all vote in this thread until we have reached a consensus, and we will make a comfortable schedule for anons. If all this plays out and the threads still die with little to no response from anons, I will quit trying to make this a thing. Last we spoke of this, we seemed to be in between The Trial by Kafka and If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Calvino. What are anon's thoughts???

>> No.10713326
File: 85 KB, 1000x563, blodrom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I didn't know you guys had a reading group but I recently read Ficciones so I'll be lurking to read what ya'll think of it and maybe I'll chime in.

>> No.10713343

>>10713300
New costumer here. I’m finishing The Brothers Karamazov tomorrow or monday. I’d propose either Notes from the underground, The death of Ivan Ilych or Catcher in the rye for the next novel, since I got them physically. I would also be interested on participating in the discussion of The Trial but I rather ‘we’ choose something I haven’t read yet.

>> No.10713405
File: 54 KB, 400x498, IMG_0318.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10713326
Yeah man we were reading a story a day until the 18th, I decided to go ahead and finish it today. Every time I made a thread anons let it die so I said fuck it but I still feel like a short story/novella reading group is a good idea, the original OP of this thread will probably join back in too now that he sees its up. Maybe it was just the fact most of /lit/ are brainlets and wont contribute to discussion on Borges because they feel as if they don't get it and don't wanna leave themselves open to elitist autist attacks on this board. I, personally, encourage any contribution that can be made so any anon can provide rebuttal or clarification, ignoring autism is a learned trait you acquire if you browse enough :) (duh) in admitting that, I would be considered a brainlet.

My favorite personal stories were Tlon, Approach to Al Mu'tasim, The Garden of Forking Paths, Funes the Memorious, Death and The Compass and The Sect of the Phoenix. I still feel as if a lot of it went over my head, re reading it will be such a pleasure though in acknoledging Borges as a writer, in his style and way of abstraction when referring to ideas.

I would vote Kafka, just because of Kafka's phil. and it wouldn't be too hard for most anons to get into. I love Calvino as well so I won't mind it going either way. Also anons can post their own choices that aren't between those two and whichever has the highest consensus is what we will read.

>>10713343
Exactly, contribute a book you want to read, we can have 100 different contributions as long as 1 stands out above the rest, even if by a slim margin.

>> No.10714587

BUMP we should read The Trial

>> No.10715492

Fucking fag has good taste in literature fucking nigger faggot

>> No.10715578

>>10713405
I see you didn't list Babel's Tower on your list, it was my favourite by far. In fact, I liked it so much I wish Borges would have stopped being a bitch and wrote an actual novel set inside the library. The way he described the fanatics who started burning books, the idiots who tried to look up for the books predicting their future, the theories made about the library, it's such top notch material that it makes me sad he only wrote such a small story on it. It's also so ingenious you can start thinking about how language works, or even data complexity and language.