[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 60 KB, 361x600, Neuromancer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1071306 No.1071306 [Reply] [Original]

Just finished it, great book but I was confused by the ending.

it says he sees himself with linda lee, neuromancer, and he hears flatlines inhuman laugh.Also it says he never sees molly again.Does case die?

Also, ordered count zero and mona lisa overdrive from my local library, havent read them yet, no spoilers please

>> No.1071319

Reading MLO will answer a lot.

>> No.1071344
File: 20 KB, 359x322, artist_Idunno7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

At first, I thought Case died in the hacking run and lived on as a construct just as you said
But it turns out
Gibson pulls complete bullshit in his third book and says case retires and marrys to live a long and happy life. FFFFF-

>> No.1072217
File: 441 KB, 1024x768, 1281271905493.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not that big on sf. It's the writing that gets me. I never really got accustomed to it. I'm talking Philip K Dick here. His ideas and speculation have always appealed to me. I think this is why a lot of sf writers don't make it out of genre lit: they just don't have the writing ability that readers can ignore.

So, I know this is "cyberpunk" and there's a lot of "hacking" and technology involved. So, what's the prose like?

>> No.1073108

>>1072217
gibson steals heavily from William S Burroughs. first few pages, Case says to Ratz "What kind of creep joint you running here?"

>> No.1073162

>>1073108
Pretty much. Part of what makes Gibson noteworthy is that he's a big fan of the Beats. I read Neuromancer for the first time off of a run of Kerouac books and felt right at home. I'm all for sci-fi not being all dry, hard crap, or pew-pew pop fiction, so that part I felt was good. Still Gibson doesn't rise far above that point.