[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.11 MB, 3564x2097, 1512186472895.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10560323 No.10560323 [Reply] [Original]

Rate my prose

In any case I was writing a book, one that I hoped would make my contemporaries see how petty and misguided their lives were, how worthwhile my sacrifices, how refreshing my repudiations, how heroic my stubbornness, etc.
Eli and Marta, for their part, were trying to have a baby. They would spend the ensuing year attempting to get pregnant, and eventually they would, and later this baby, and their second baby, would grant them some reprieve from the confusion we were all afflicted by in those years. But before they had their baby, during the week when this story takes place, they had decided to do every last thing that a baby precludes, every last irresponsible thing, so as, I guess, to be able to say, Yes, I have lived, I have done the things that mean you have lived, brushed shoulders with the lurid genie Dionysus, who counsels recklessness and abandon, decadence, self-destruction, and waste. The Baby Bucket List, they were calling it.
And I was game. Though I was not planning to have a child anytime soon, I thought we could all stand to chemically unfasten our fingers from their death grips on our careers and wardrobes and topiarian social lives and ne-plus-ultra __vacations in tropical Asia. The words “we” and “our” are somewhat figurative here; I remain unsure whether I rounded out our group’s eclecticism or stood in contrast to it. But we were, in any case, a particular sort of modern hustler: filmmakers and writers (screen, Web, magazine), who periodically worked as narrative consultants on ad campaigns, sustainability experts, P.R. lifers, designers or design consultants, social entrepreneurs, and that strange species of human being who has invented an app. We rubbed elbows with media moguls and Hollywood actors and the lesser-known but still powerful strata that include producers and directors, and C.F.O.s, and the half-famous relatives of the more famous. We listened to U2 and Morrissey and Kylie Minogue post-ironically, which is not to say, exactly, sincerely. We donated to charity, served on the boards of not-for-profits, and shepherded socially responsible enterprises for work. We thought we were not bad people. Not the best, a bit spoiled, maybe, but pleasant, insouciantly decent. We paid a tax on the lives we lived, in order to say in public, I have sacrificed, tithed, given back. A system of pre-Lutheran indulgences. Of carbon offsets. A green-washing of our sins. We were affiliated. We had access.

>> No.10560345

>>10560323
bored/10

>> No.10560448

bump

>> No.10560856

>>10560345
Expand on this

>> No.10560870

>>10560323

Why are most of them looking away from Hermes in that scene? They're supposedly begging him to stop the march into doom, but also not doing so at all?

>> No.10560874
File: 2.99 MB, 252x263, 1433568568915.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10560909

>>10560323
I know your style is ironic here, but seemed to me that you overdid with the pseudo intellectualism. If you wrote a narrative piece, it could interesting.

>> No.10560980

How about some constructive feedback

>> No.10561060

>>10560323
Not bad. It feels a bit like telling more than showing or "feeling" but I suppose that's the point if the repetition is any indication.

>> No.10562962

>>10560323
are you that swedish guy with the meme battlestation? I know he has the same wallpaper