[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 446 KB, 1236x907, 1515964031838.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10541881 No.10541881[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Since /lit/ is the most intelligent board on 4chan I decided to post it here.

Why does stuff like this keep happening?

I don't understand why is Abloh doing this? Is he testing people's stupidity or something? Trying to see how fucking ridiculous his products and prices can be while still profiting?

I don't get it. Are there people out there who will actually buy this? What does it say about our society?

More info on this brand: https://032c.com/virgil-abloh-duchamp

>> No.10541888
File: 291 KB, 1000x1000, IMG_4999.JPG?auto=format&fit=max&h=1000&w=1000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>went to grog website
>A marker cost around 5 bucks
>6*5=30
>142-30=112

Paying 112 for "the meme"???

They almost quadruple the price...

>> No.10541888,1 [INTERNAL] 

well I typed this all out and the thread died but maybe OP will see this here:

>>10541881
I read a fair bit of it until it started getting redundant. The ideas seem valid but in practice it just seems another way for people to use the clothes they wear to say "I'm popular, I follow the trends" which is hardly unique to streetwear but personally I quit dressing according to that idea in Junior High. Or put another way you could say his designs say "I'm in on the joke" or put another way "virtue signaling," which it seems like Abloh would agree with, if I'm getting this right. Signalling that "I understand a lot of background minutia" in clothes is something I did for a while as an adult via graphic tees but those ideas died for me in the 2000s when computerized printing and ordering/worldwide shipping just glutted the market. For god's sake, there are TV commercials for guys who'll make custom tees for your kids birthday party now. Abloh might reply "yeah, but i'm playing that game to win, and self-aware of that," to which I'd say "Yeah, but it still sucks."
Aesthetically it looks lame but you're the one that has to wear it, so what do I care? The only valid response I can really give is "I don't like it."