[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.93 MB, 245x246, not so sensible chuckle.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10506809 No.10506809 [Reply] [Original]

Can someone please explain to me the trend of adults reading YA? I can understand it if you're an editor or reviewer, but if you're going to read shitty books, why not read shitty books written for adults instead?

Asking because I recently had a grown-ass man(mid-thirties) talk to me about how much he loves the Percy Jackson books.

>> No.10506817

but Percy Jackson is a children's series

>> No.10506822

>>10506817
Did you read OP's post

>> No.10506824

i’ve asked myself this also, my consideration is that they’re actually not aware of the main target. same with tv shows, all of that very late millennial obsessing over stranger things or the OA. they also critically comment those things, they talk about how they didn’t get some lines, they buy merchandise. plain lack of awareness

>> No.10506849

>>10506817
My apologies, the only other people I've heard talking about it were teenagers, so I assumed it was YA. But my original question still stands.

>>10506824
I thought Stranger Things was supposed to be pandering to the late millennial age range as part of the 80s cultural revival that's been going on the past few years.

>> No.10506917

arrested development. many millennials don't want to (or can't) mentally progress to the adulthood. they identify more with the struggles of the young protagonists (fighting against authority, struggling with identity issues, romance issues, etc.), more than they would identify with the issues of an adult character in an adult book.

>> No.10506931

>>10506822
Children's and not YA

>> No.10507087

>>10506849
it’s a series for kids, really. i’m not being sarcastic about that, but you’re right as in the sense that producers probably knew it would be loved by an older target. a pro abou ST is that actually the 80s setting is not even that loud and flashy, if you look at the characters outfits they’re very normal, everyday people who could fit even today. not an 80s glitter-crazy hair-crazy make up type of thing. i really just think that people open up netflix and look whatever they find there, especially if the media is reporting a lot about that. they just go on with obeying audience patterns to fit and out of fear of missing out. classical millennial obsession with pop culture.

>> No.10507126

They want easy entertainment, but also want to be viewed as smart, and seen as an adult.
This is why they read instead of just playing Zelda, or watching Dragon Ball Z. Because they associate reading with adult intellectuals.

>> No.10507130

>>10506809
personally, I read adult fiction primarily, but I like YA because it feels nostalgic and comforting.
also I write YA and it helps to keep up to date with what the market is buying.

>> No.10507140

>>10506917
this is why i still really enjoy a lot of books like how you described, im 20 and i still feel like a kid in a lot of ways

>> No.10507217

How do I into adult literature?

>> No.10507301

>>10507217
wilhelm meisters apprenticeship

>> No.10508332

>>10507217
>find a book that sounds interesting
>read it
>repeat

>> No.10508449

>>10507140
i am critical of this but i do feel i am sort of a hypocrite because i still have a great fondness for cartoons (a much younger target age). i guess, even in my adulthood, i appreciate the simplicity and whimsy that goes into an episode of Clarence that makes me want to watch that more than, say, an episode of House of Cards. being an adult doesn't mean "serious adult business all the time" but if you ONLY consume YA or children's lit, there may be an issue there.