[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.19 MB, 1317x889, nenenereading.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10500661 No.10500661 [Reply] [Original]

anyone here ever get published in a poetry journal?

if so, what was the experience like?

>> No.10500711

>>10500661
Nice R.O.D. reference, I like that series, and the music is also great. While not poetry journals, I have taken part in events in which one displays their own work, preceded by a public pamphlet (online and physical) displaying the authors and excerpts of their work. My poetry was met with mostly positivity, particularly when describing natural and interior surroundings, as well as conveying moods. Criticism mainly came from my work regarded as leaning towards old fashioned qualities, with capital letters formed at the beginning of each line, as well as quite advanced vocabulary at times, over more simplistic words and more dialogue-like phrasing, elements which are points of contention. There appears to be pressure for modern poets to conform to what had been established from the 1950s Beatnik generation, onwards, rather than come up with work which purposefully recalls earlier conventions too closely. I have always preferred some older details over newer conventions, and rarely read much else than 18th, 19th, and early 20th century literature, with later 20th and 21st century historical fiction works as my main exceptions.

>> No.10500808

>>10500711
Did you feel the poems in your publication were overly similar in subject matter in addition to style? Were they "politically charged"?

I sort of figured there wouldnt be rhymes or formal styles anymore.

>> No.10500831

>>10500808
I don't do politics, in which case that may have led to some of those criticisms. At the moment, there is heavy pressure to make politically-motivated work, in artistic circles, due to the results of the American election. Rhymes and formal styles still exist for some, but yes, they are becoming increasingly loosened and seen as old and boring. I think the first convention to go was the one in which each letter is capitalized at the beginning of the line.

>> No.10500833

>>10500808
As for similar in subject matter, I think that is true, and with some more distinct themes, it may have cleared this up for some people.

>> No.10501410

Anyone else with experiences writing poetry? I'm also interested in cases where one gets published, and what it involves.

>> No.10501603

>>10501410
my online experience was rather simple. it was a print journal with an email submission address. i emailed three poems, the editor responded that they liked the second one and gave me some revisions to make. i made them and they agreed to publish it. a few months later i got a copy of the magazine as payment.

>> No.10501846

>>10500661
Was published in a poetry quarterly a few years ago.
Got two free copies of the issue I was published in.
No one I knew cared.
Nothing happened.

>> No.10502418

>>10501846
Same here.
Had a professor submit my work.
Said "thanks."
Published in something called Suisun Review in CA.
And that was it.

>> No.10502421

>>10501603
Congrats, slave

>> No.10502427

As a matter of fact, I found out just this past week that I'm going to have a poem published in an academic and cultural journal. It was fairly straightforward. I emailed them my poem, they emailed me back about two weeks later telling me they wanted to publish it, and asking that I send along a copy of the poem in a Word document. They also wanted my full name and home address so they could send me a copy of the issue my poem will be in. They're actually paying me, too, which is pretty cool.

>> No.10502485

Got published in my city's writers guild's magazine. Won their annual award for prose for, what I consider, a prose poem I wrote. Judge was a winner of Canada's Pulitzer over a decade ago. Apparently the contest was open to the world, with 160 entrees.

It felt good for a while. Mom was proud. Got people in my life to respect my desire to write. Won $125, which I probably wasted on something I didn't need.

Scared of telling people I meet now.
1) They'll think I'm full of shit, and disengage.
2) They google it later, and being as young as I am, it's perceived as some social accost to them.

I'm still on unemployment. Cheap rent though.

>> No.10502490

>>10502485
Whoops, Canada's equivalent*** of the Pulitzer

I'm slightly drunk.

>> No.10502510

>>10502485
entries**

Holy hot cock, batman, are my hands greasy!

>> No.10502925
File: 539 KB, 1280x720, pjsalami.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10502421
how does that make me a slave?