[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 104 KB, 560x315, Old science fiction.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10488332 No.10488332 [Reply] [Original]

So recently I got into reading older (pre-1980) science fiction novels,(such as those by Asimov, Wells, Bradbury and so forth) and I am currently trying to find good books of that sort. What novels would you suggest on this topic? It was a bit difficult to find a list or catalog on this specific topic, so I decided to see what you guys come up with.

>> No.10489351

/sffg/ has a decent chart they throw around. If you havent found anything it's because you haven't tried.

The stars my destination by Bester
Childhood's end by Clarke
Rendezvous with Rama by Clarke
The first Lensmen by E E Smith
Left hand of darkness by Le Guin
Starship Troopers by Heinlen
The moon is a harsh mistress by Heinlen
The dying earth by Jack Vance
Voyage if the Space Beagle by Vogt
Dune by Herbert
A Canticle for Liebowitz by Miller
Gateway by Pohl
Ringworld by Niven
Solaris by Lem

>> No.10489677
File: 305 KB, 1280x913, tumblr_m1z3hhkD9T1qezj1no1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

book of the new sun

>> No.10489686

>>10489677
no, he said "Science fiction", not fantasy / magic realism.

OP: read all of Edward Elmer Smith's Lensman books; they're silly, but they have a lot of scope. follow them up with Smith's Skylark series - four books - at the start of the first book the protagonist is a lowly government assay chemist, and by the end of the fourth he's destroying entire galaxies.

>> No.10489748

>>10489677
Seconding this.
>>10489686
It's science fiction masquerading as fantasy. The distinction between sci-fi and fantasy is quite arbitrary in my opinion anyway. The only thing that separates the two is aesthetic, but even then they overlap a lot.