[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 44 KB, 496x384, 1281237692679.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1040253 No.1040253 [Reply] [Original]

I am incapable of writing fiction because I feel so little and I always compare myself to masters. And whenever I think I'm doing something good, I feel it suddenly take a turn and become shit. What is wrong with me? Why do I feel so pressured to write a masterpiece?

>> No.1040270

>>1040253
>what's wrong with me?
You're a shitty writer.

It doesn't mean anything's wrong with you, it just means you should do something else.

>> No.1040271

A wise man once said, "You just gotta shit it out."

>> No.1040277 [DELETED] 

>The next level is much smaller. These are the really good writers. Above them—above almost all of us—are the Shakespeares, the Faulkners, the Yeatses, Shaws, and Eudora Weltys. They are geniuses, divine accidents, gifted in a way which is beyond our ability to understand, let alone attain. Shit, most geniuses aren’t able to understand themselves, and many of them lead miserable lives, realizing (at least on some level) that they are nothing but fortunate freaks, the intellectual version of runway models who just happen to be born with the right cheekbones and with breasts which fit the image of an age.

>Good writing, on the other hand, teaches the learning writer about style, graceful narration, plot development, the creation of believable characters, and truth-telling. A novel like The Grapes of Wrath may fill a new writer with feelings of despair and good old-fashioned jealousy—“I’ll never be able to write anything that good, not if I live to be a thousand”—
but such feelings can also serve as a spur, goading the writer to work harder and aim higher. Being swept away by a combination of great story and great writing—of being flattened, in fact—is part of every writer’s necessary formation. You cannot hope to sweep someone else away by the force of your writing until it has been done to you.

(Stephen King)

>> No.1040276 [DELETED] 

>The next level is much smaller. These are the really good writers. Above them—above almost all of us—are the Shakespeares, the Faulkners, the Yeatses, Shaws, and Eudora Weltys. They are geniuses, divine accidents, gifted in a way which is beyond our ability to understand, let alone attain.
Shit, most geniuses aren’t able to understand themselves, and many of them lead miserable lives, realizing (at least on some level) that they are nothing but fortunate freaks, the intellectual version of runway models who just happen to be born with the right cheekbones and with breasts which fit the image of an age.

>Good writing, on the other hand, teaches the learning
writer about style, graceful narration, plot development, the creation of believable characters, and truth-telling. A novel like The Grapes of Wrath may fill a new writer with feelings of despair and good old-fashioned jealousy—“I’ll never be able to write anything that good, not if I live to be a thousand”—
but such feelings can also serve as a spur, goading the writer to work harder and aim higher. Being swept away by a combination of great story and great writing—of being flattened, in fact—is part of every writer’s necessary formation. You cannot hope to sweep someone else away by the force of your writing until it has been done to you.

(Stephen King)

>> No.1040278

>The next level is much smaller. These are the really good writers. Above them—above almost all of us—are the Shakespeares, the Faulkners, the Yeatses, Shaws, and Eudora Weltys. They are geniuses, divine accidents, gifted in a way which is beyond our ability to understand, let alone attain. Shit, most geniuses aren’t able to understand themselves, and many of them lead miserable lives, realizing (at least on some level) that they are nothing but fortunate freaks, the intellectual version of runway models who just happen to be born with the right cheekbones and with breasts which fit the image of an age.

>Good writing, on the other hand, teaches the learning writer about style, graceful narration, plot development, the creation of believable characters, and truth-telling. A novel like The Grapes of Wrath may fill a new writer with feelings of despair and good old-fashioned jealousy—“I’ll never be able to write anything that good, not if I live to be a thousand”— but such feelings can also serve as a spur, goading the writer to work harder and aim higher. Being swept away by a combination of great story and great writing—of being flattened, in fact—is part of every writer’s necessary formation. You cannot hope to sweep someone else away by the force of your writing until it has been done to you.

(Stephen King)

>> No.1040283

>>1040278
Stephen King is a faggot

>> No.1040285
File: 47 KB, 315x395, 1278630763305.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1040283
Go back to /b/

>> No.1040287

>>1040278
yeah, only Faulkner wasn't a really good writer. Now, Steinbeck...

But what would King know, he writes about mechanical wolves and extradimensional pistoleros.

>> No.1040290

>>1040287
He is nevertheles qualified to teach English

>> No.1040291

>>1040285
That's what you should be doing, quoting crap writers

>> No.1040292

>>1040287
>yeah, only Faulkner wasn't a really good writer
yeah, you might think this if you're an uneducated child

>> No.1040296

>He writes genre fiction and he's popular, he must be shit!

>> No.1040299

>>1040292
writing in the folksy language of southern agrarian folks might have been thought a good idea in the 1930s, but now it's an unintelligible mess.

>> No.1040302

>>1040296
Yeah, but also that he's bad at writing.

>> No.1040306

>>1040299
I have no idea what you're reading but he's not unintelligible at all

>> No.1040335

It's unintelligible if you're a fucking moron. If you have any self-respect, it's beautiful

>> No.1040338

you guys are lames, stephen king is quality writing

his stories are just shit
so shitty it's like wtf was he thinking