[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 32 KB, 179x300, 1281173887701.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1037959 No.1037959 [Reply] [Original]

Can I read Jingo without reading the other Guards-novels (with the exception of the first one, Guards! Guards!)?
The story of Jingo seems awesome to me, but I'm too poor right now to afford more than one novel.
Also, will I be disappointed after reading it if I expect it to be as cool as the picture on the cover?

>> No.1038012
File: 2 KB, 300x57, lancre links.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

there are a few nods to other books but you can easily read it without the rest, it is awesome as the pic might suggest, but different, its about war and diplomacy and about how other countries are actually just the same as us

pic is my captcha, super fucking related

>> No.1038064

>>1038012
Ah, great! Then I think I'll go ahead and order it.
Maybe I'll skip a dinner next week and also order Soul Music...heh.

>> No.1038095

>>1038012
Yep! There's never really all that much continuity in discworld... well, okay, there's some in the much later books. But there's not too much really important continuity in the Cops series until, like, Fifth Elephant, and in Granny Weatherwax until Lords and Ladies.

However, literally any Discworld book is well, well worth reading, so, yeah, don't sweat it.