[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 65 KB, 575x383, vaginabug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1034175 No.1034175 [Reply] [Original]

I just finished reading 'Starship Troopers' having read it only because I heard that it was a fascist crock of shit. This has been affirmed. Next I'm reading the 'Forever War' series by Joe Haldeman. Can /lit/ recommend any other books/series?

>> No.1034176

Time enough for love if you enjoy incest

>> No.1034203

Stranger in a Stranger Land by Heinlein is interesting.

>> No.1034212

A lot of what I see Heinlein writing sounds autobiographical. And 'Time Enough for Love' sounds like he had some oedipaean problems as well. Any other authors out there with a similar theme?

>> No.1034220

I made it to around page 25 (pdf) of Starship Troopers.

Had to stop there because of the retarded military wanking. This guy makes Goodkind look like a reasonable and intelligent man.

>> No.1034226

>>1034175
What specifically didn't you like about Starship Troopers? I'm just curious.

>> No.1034289

The fact that he left out all descriptions for basically anything bugged me (pun intended). The needless 'God, Country, Corps', TALK TO A RECRUITER NEAR YOU BS is great and all, you should feel better if you serve than the average person, but he took it to an extreme. He made his military too utopian and the people in it took cookie cutter. The fact that the main character joins just to prove to his dad that he is an adult is, in my opinion retarded, but I guess it is a true reason. It was troubling reading that part and going "Good god man, come up with some excuse to make it sound legit." And in the end he did it because it's what his friend was doing and then [spoilers] NEIL PATRICK HARRIS GOES AND DIES! [/spoilers]

>> No.1034311

>>1034289

I don't think it was necessarily utopian. Shit worked and of course people are going to drum it up. That's how people in militaries think.

Your problem is that you're assuming that the author believes in everything he's writing all the time. This is probably the case in Starship Troopers, but you're going to get into a lot of trouble if you take that attitude elsewhere.

>> No.1034414

Being one of the 'people in militaries,' I am going to disagree with that. For the most part everybody that I know would execute and relish in the fact that they could quit at any time. Now I understand that not everyone would quit, I for one wouldn't because of the fact that I still have debts and wouldn't get full benefits, but to say that everyone is in the military to 'serve the greater good of humanity' is rediculous. The whole concept of having the government ruled by veterans and veterans alone would be horrendous: Anyone worthwhile enough to become notable in a military usually does so by individual efforts; few become famous for planning, strategy and leadership, and even those have their flaws. I know that all men aren't created equal, but all men are given the opportunity to succeed. You CAN be a good person and not have served in a military. (summary statement)

>> No.1034430

use your imagination. its a what if kind of thing.

>> No.1034492

>>1034203
No it isn't. It's also awful.
Heinlein is a plain terrible writer. Everyone and everything is so cardboard.

>> No.1034510

>>1034492

According to /lit/, everyone is a terrible fuckin writer.

If I allowed /lit/ to dictate my tastes in books, I wouldn't know what to believe anymore.

>> No.1034922

>>1034414
But the military was a lot bigger than just Armed forces, it effectively included stuff like the Peace Corps just because of all the volunteers. I really liked the idea that you had to invest something fairly major in order to have a say in how the country would be run.

>> No.1035018

>>1034922

It's not a bad idea at all. It's just teenage rebellious 'boo military' mentality that causes most to disregard the idea in the book completely rather than put forth a real argument against it.

I don't even agree with the book.

>> No.1035035
File: 67 KB, 413x600, 1269376906011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Read it earlier this year and fucking loved it. Whole book was dripping with testerone. HOO RAH!!! MOBILE INFANTRY MADE ME THE MAN I AM TODAY!!!!

>> No.1035042

Some people don't like fascism because it lacks subtlety, but the net result is roughly the same. I for one, would not mind a government that didn't feel they had to lie or trick me in to working for them if I wanted a say in what they did. Also, fuck bugs. If we find alien bugs we're going to have to kill them, and you all know that is true.