[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 26 KB, 192x286, PostOffice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1025325 No.1025325 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, I don't visit you much, despite the fact that I read quite a bit. I'm going to talk about books I like (or have read lately and didn't like for some reason) and you can call me a faggot or tell me I have good taste. If this thread gets a decent ratio of fag:god responses I'll keep talking, if not I'll go do something else for a while.

Lately I've been getting into Bukowski, read the novel pictured and a few books of his poetry. He's pretty cool, I love his gritty, realistic style, and I really like how bold he is when describing his approach to life (even though it's certainly not how I choose to live mine). I really liked his description of the horrible bureaucracy of the post office in this novel, reminds me of the bullshit I have to deal with at work working for a big corporation.

>> No.1025329
File: 22 KB, 199x334, Sm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Before that I read Silas Marner. For something described as "classic", it was pretty bad. I mean, the writing style was technically excellent, but the story wasn't compelling or particularly interesting, and none of the characters were developed particularly well. Meh.

>> No.1025336
File: 228 KB, 800x1240, cold_mountain_novel_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another recent read was Cold Mountain (no, I haven't seen the movie). Another technically excellent book (AMAZING descriptive writing, good characters) - but as a student of history, and as someone who likes a good story I was disappointed. More than anything, I didn't really like this book because the author didn't really make any coherant statement about the nature of life and living. Basically, it was like he painted a good picture of a bowl of fruit - pretty, but not really interesting.

>> No.1025347
File: 12 KB, 167x254, bbcf_81.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One author I really like and NEVER gets mentioned is Shusaku Endo. He's interesting because he's a Japanese Catholic who writes about religion and faith (not just Christianity). Pic related to my favorite book of his - in Deep River he draws together Shinto, Buddhism, Christianity, and Hinduism. It's quite moving, and to my way of thinking, everyone should have to read it to gain some insight into the value of religion and the commonalities present in all of them.

And then they should read 'Fools Crow' by James Welch and realize that THE EXACT SAME THING happens in every human civilization.

>> No.1025355
File: 43 KB, 336x500, Of_Human_Bondage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

And here's what I'm reading right now: Of Human Bondage. I'm maybe 1/3rd of the way through and so far I like it - the author does a great job capturing the feeling of youth - passionate beliefs, desire for independence, desire for both comradery and individuality, the gradual coming of maturity, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes next....

>> No.1025358

I like you. You seem cool. I like Bukowski a lot - I agree re: style and boldness. Also loved Cold Mountain - at least until the ending, which was pretty deeply unsatisfying, probably for the reason you mentioned.

You should read Brideshead Revisited, by Evelyn Waugh. I would be curious to see what you thought about it.

>> No.1025361

I dislike you. You seem like a faggot and I hate your taste on literature.

>> No.1025363
File: 96 KB, 576x850, 002074.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No comments?

Anyways, another author I want to recommend to you is P.G. Wodehouse - the father of modern British comedy. He's tough reading because most of his work satirizes the Victorian and Edwardian eras, but they're remarkably funny once you get used to the style and understand what's going on. Douglas Adams is so good BECAUSE he subverts the tropes firmly established by Wodehouse.

>> No.1025366

>>1025363
YES Wodehouse is incredible. Dude, You Are Rad.

>> No.1025372
File: 33 KB, 307x475, the_windup_bird_chronicle.large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1025358
Thanks, that's going on my list.

Yes, the ending to Cold Mountain was completely unsatisfying - it was abrupt, but the abruptness wasn't used to make any kind of statement, it was just a lazy, boring way to end the novel. For a good counter example - in Post Office, the ending is abrupt, but it ties the novel together.

>>1025361
And thanks as well

I also like Haruki Murakami quite a bit, anyone else read 'the Trilogy of the Rat'? His early works are rough and unpolished, but it's really neat to see how his style has developed over time.

>> No.1025381

>>1025366
yay, I'm not the only one who has read him!

Has anyone else read Man Ray's autobiography? (Self-portrait). It's one of my favorite books on a single person, he somehow manages to stay objective and neutral about his own life, and manages to keep a consistently good pace throughout.

>> No.1025383

>>1025372
I read Sputnik Sweetheart, and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. Stylistically, he's pretty decent (at least as far as I can tell in translation), but the whole device of the other world (or w/e, it's been a while since I read it) didn't do anything for me - I mean, I can see the point, it just seemed like it was unnecessary. Interesting character study, I guess.

>> No.1025384
File: 123 KB, 579x600, manray_self-portrait.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1025381
Is OP btw.

>> No.1025395
File: 30 KB, 319x475, Theodore-Rex-0394555090-L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1025383
Sputnik Sweetheart is more or less typical of his work, if you didn't like it, you probably wouldn't like the rest. If you want to give him another shot, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle is the best one, because it includes the strongest thematic development.

Pic related to my favorite biography - meticulously researched, captures TR's manly essence while at the same time explaining how that manliness was in large part due to great public relations.

>> No.1025405

Maybe I'll write a novel, I thought.
And then I did.

One of my favorite endings to a book ever.

>> No.1025444

What's your favorite Bukowski book OP?

>> No.1025451

OP: Have you ever read Chesterton