[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 497 KB, 2130x3200, 1507701568133.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10228351 No.10228351 [Reply] [Original]

Why does it seem like the past is more real or "present" than the future, when both are just as just non-existent? There is no way we can know if the past looked anything like the art from it represents it, or how history says it was; just how we can't know if "futuristic" (not just as in the italian futuristic art) art or science-fiction portrays the future as it "will" be.
If tradition comes from the
past, everything anti-tradition comes from the future?
Aren't the "progressive", "non-traditional" ideas just as oppresive towards the tradition (past) as the tradition is oppresive towards "new ideas" (future)?
Are there any books on this?

>> No.10228625

Bump

>> No.10228697

>>10228351
Pretty much every book about nostalgia ever encompasses that feeling of the past feeling more real, but our memory of it being flawed.
We like the past and romanticize it and want to go back to it because we know what happened then (for the most part), but the future is always frightening because it is unknown.
I'm not too sure what you're asking exactly, though, you want books that discuss fear of the unknown future and disdain of the antiquated past as being equal sides? That definitely sounds pretty interesting. I don't think I've ever read a book quite like that, but I would be very interested to. Or maybe that sort of idea is discussed in books where people try to eliminate the past, or look down on previous generations? It also reminds me of the fucking GLOBALIST PARASITE which kills cultures. And I honestly mean that completely unironically.