[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 40 KB, 329x500, tothelighthouse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1022431 No.1022431 [Reply] [Original]

I'm finding this very difficult to get through, my mind keeps wandering as I'm reading and before I know it, several paragraphs have passed and I haven't paid attention at all.

Is it worth continuing?

>> No.1022435

Well yeah. I mean, they do get to the lighthouse eventually.

>> No.1022444

Read Mrs. Dalloway.

>> No.1022464

>>1022444

>> No.1022666

>>1022431
Personally I didn't like it, a couple of times I connected with what was going on, but overall it was just a bore.

Then again it really wasn't my kind of book, I only read it because it was assigned for a class. If you are reading for your own enjoyment and it's not entertaining for you why read it at all? Just put that shit down.

>> No.1022679

try to read a whole book in this mind wandering state, i just woulod like to know if you actually remember that shit after or not, would be an interesting experiment i think

>> No.1022682
File: 24 KB, 240x320, billmurrayreaction.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1022694

I find Woolf's prose to be quite enchanting.

Honestly, by the time you get to the second part [Time Passes - (where the house is described by omniscient narrator, without the presence or interference of characters)], it either has you hooked, or you'll have no intention of finishing it. At least give it through there.

>>1022444
As for Dalloway, you'd have more trouble. The narration is even more fractured between characters and events.

>> No.1022711

>>1022679
I retain it, I think it's actually the best way to assimilate information.

Read a few sentences, stare off into space for a while, read a few more, repeat until it's time for videogames

>> No.1023792

This is truely one of the worst books I have ever read. I mean, I troll a lot, but most of the time it's about books that aren't half as bad as this one. This book is the Hussain Bolt of literary diarrhoea.

Do not continue. I repeat: do not continue.

>> No.1023808

>>1023792
> nothing substantive about the novel in question
> nonsensical Track & Field reference intended to be convincing

It's actually a pretty great book. Mrs. Dalloway is superior, but To the Lighthouse is modernist literature par excellence.

>> No.1023818

To the Lighthouse: great book or greatest book?

Seriously, it's in my top 3 books of all time. Just read--stay awake and it'll all come together.