[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 309x475, 6750[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10197537 No.10197537 [Reply] [Original]

i'm one third into this. it's a pretty fun and engaging read although i think there are implications and metaphors i'm missing since i'm not all that familiar with wittgenstein and derrida (i only have a slight awareness of modern linguistics and poststructuralism basics). i'm wondering - what's up with the alphabet chapter tagging?

other than that, what did you think of it? how is it compared to IJ?

>> No.10197564

>>10197537
I actually hated it. I had only read DFWs nonfiction and bought into the whole idea of him being some kind of genius, then I read this and nearly pulled my hair out. It's just so ... insufferable.

>> No.10197734

>>10197537

Broom of the System is like everything wrong with pretentious MFA students trying to write their "experimental literary masterpiece," except done in a way that actually managed to make me laugh, so I give it a lot of credit for that.

If I have a problem with the book, it's mainly that I don't really give a shit about any of the characters, since the characters are really just there for Wallace to explore philosophical concepts. Rick can be a funny character, but I never really connect to him as a human because of the way Wallace writes the book.