[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 38 KB, 600x387, Comedy_by_hungerartist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1018909 No.1018909 [Reply] [Original]

It's obvious the "lone swordsman" character has been done before.
Watching the short, Comedy, it brought a fun little spin to it so I wanted to ask: what are some unique things done to this character archetype to keep it interesting?
Speaking only in the fantasy genre, of course.

For Comedy the traits were:
-Does not get compensated in anything but books of a particular genre - Comedy - and must read until he knows he received a good book.
-Does not speak.
-Cannibal.
-Inhuman hunger. Can eat two-hundred men in a single night and not look to have gained any weight.

>> No.1018912

I doubt many of you guys would take an old fantasy stereotype seriously but this thread is worth a shot.

>> No.1018928

I haven't read that much fantasy and I'm pretty sure any ideas I'd come up with would have been already used.

However, here's a bump.

>> No.1018931

>>1018928
Much oblige.

>> No.1018960

I think this happened in the Discworld books ,but then again I never passed the first book. Good luck Op.

>> No.1018968

-Blind but regains his sight for a minute every time he kills someone.

>> No.1018972

>>1018968
I'm thinking about that...
...how the hell?
Sucks to be that guy.

>> No.1018976

-His sword is a violin bow. Every time he strikes at someone the bow vibrates so intensely at such a frequency it can kill a man. Yet every time he strikes there is a very dissonant sound much like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfBVYhyXU8o

>> No.1018979
File: 96 KB, 412x305, shock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1018976
>that piece

>> No.1018986

>>1018976
actually, now that I think about it. The swordsman lives in a world where musical instruments are used as weapons. Whenever his bow clashes with another bow, that dissonant sound bursts through the air.

>> No.1019000
File: 25 KB, 232x351, rimbaud.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

-The swordsman is actually Arthur Rimbaud (symbolist poet) in a different universe. He travels through the ever shifting landscape of images and colors, searching for artistic truth.
His sword can bend the fabric of reality. A swing in this direction and the right word and a river of rose petals falls from the sky upon the opponent. A slice there and the distant mountains dissolve into an ocean in a instant.

>> No.1019002

>>1018986
>The swordsman lives in a world where musical instruments are used as weapons
Okay, I have to ask, is this just coming to you or is this from something?

Because if this is your own work I believe it would make the swordsman's features more meaningful if he were to not live in a world where everyone uses weapons like that
Also the idea of violin bows fighting in droves is silly

>> No.1019007

>>1019002
I've been thinking about violin bow swords for a bit but a world of that does sound a bit silly.
whatev

>> No.1019008

>>1019002

The Orchestra is coming! TO THE HILLS!

This is great.

>> No.1019012

>>1019000

Stop doing this, please. This will be terrible.

>> No.1019015

>>1019007
I like the idea though. Having a guy that who can do that would be very neat to see.
That youtube video is still haunting me a bit. I wish I didn't listen to all of it.

>> No.1019017

>>1019008
-brass musicians are the bombardiers and artillery
-Percussion musicians are the defense, creating walls with every beat they use. The beat they play must match the incoming attacks. Play in the wrong time and you're fucked.
-String musicians are the swordsmen.
-finally, the conductor is the general

I have too much freetime

>> No.1019020
File: 55 KB, 850x600, goodtimes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1019017
DEAR LORD
It's so silly it just might work.

>> No.1019022

>>1019017
>>1019017
>>1019017
>Play in the wrong time and you're fucked

This could make a great video game.

>> No.1019024

>>1019017
I like to think of the tuba as a grenade launcher type of weapon while the trumpet is like a musket

>> No.1019029

>>1019024
ORCHESTRA WAR GENERAL

>> No.1019035

The composers, however, are the heart behind the army. They draw up the battle plans for the conductor to follow. They try to write attack strategies that will predict the other sides dynamics, rhythm and harmonies and try to find a weak spot in it.

I'll stop now

>> No.1019047

>>1019035

asssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

>> No.1019071

-Every time the swordsman kills his opponent, he takes on their race. It's hard finding clothes can fit both a human and a towering half-orc

>> No.1019083

-everytime the swordsman kills someone OP is a faggot

>> No.1019101

-The swordsman is cursed so that everytime he kills someone his nipple grows out an inch, he becomes %10 more clumsier and his voice becomes girlier and girlier. However, the curse also makes him much more stronger than the average human

>> No.1019104

>>1019083
I didn't expect that at all.
Good show.

>> No.1019107

>>1019000
>>1019000
>>1019000
besides this guy right here and the op no one else has said anything besides how the swordsman fights and some curse shit
I am not pleased.

>> No.1019110

The swordsman lives in a world where all the great poets we know are reality bending wizards. With a few words they can create entire landscapes and bring down complete hellfire upon their enemies.
The sword is not the weapon people wield here, it is language.

>> No.1019118

The swordsman lives in a world where whales roam the sky. However, there has been a plague among the many skywhales and they have been dropping out of the sky like flies. However, the survivors of the plague have turned into flying killing machines.
Good luck swordsman!

>> No.1019127

The swordsman is actually a 12 year old boy with a small metal shrapnel sword living in a post-apocalytpic world. He survives an attack on his small town by a group of raiders yet his entire family is slaughtered. However, his sister is captured and forced into slavery.
Now he must set off into this dangerous world and try to find his sister. The stories of brave heroes past guide his actions throughout his journey.

>> No.1019131

>>1019127
I would so buy that.

>> No.1019142

>>1019131
I've been thinking about this story for some time now. If only I could write ;_;

>> No.1019153

>>1019131

Really? I assumed that whole post was a joke; shit sounds hackneyed as hell.

>> No.1019159

>>1019127
The boy thinks he can be a hero just like in the stories his parents told him.
The story opens up with a makeshift shadow projector on a candle lamp rotating slowly, showing rough cutouts of brave heroes fighting monsters. His parents tell him and his sister stories.
The boy spends his free time fighting imaginary monsters in the field with his little scrap metal sword his father made for him. The boy imagines himself becoming a great hero one day, that he will defeat the evil monsters that roam the night.

>> No.1019162

>>1019153
It sounds thrown together but the potential of the idea I like a lot.
I would change the goal if I were writing it.

It's an interesting take on the line swordsman stereotype as it's a growing into that kind of character.

>> No.1019404

-Everyone is cursed. When someone sneeze they turn into a giraffe.

>> No.1019451

-All the giraffes are cursed. When they sneeze they turn into a panda bear