[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 78 KB, 674x506, Arthur-Schopenhauer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10183474 No.10183474 [Reply] [Original]

There was a thread that just got deleted where OP was saying that art is a perversion. He thought things should just be like they were in the Paleolithic era, nothing but the drive to keep coming up with new ways to survive.

OP, the drive itself is perverse. It is the perversity to end all perversity. Nature is an inexcusable monster. Humanity has gone through many stages of consciousness but there has always been pain, completely needless pain, often intense pain, and the fact that some humans have actually been able to step back, analyze the reality of their situation, and say "Fuck this" and opt out, is really a beautiful thing, no? Schopenhauer pic so thread is literature-related.

>> No.10183480
File: 267 KB, 1200x1429, bp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>When I consider the short duration of my life, swallowed up in the eternity before and after, the little space which I fill, and even can see, engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces of which I am ignorant, and which know me not, I am frightened, and am astonished at being here rather than there; for there is no reason why here rather than there, why now rather than then. Who has put me here? By whose order and direction have this place and time been allotted to me?

>> No.10183504

Why isn't it our nature to rise above our nature, so to speak?

I think we've come to implicitly accept the idea that humans are dog-eat-dog, Hobbesian creatures. Not that we are fundamentally ingenious and creative. For humans, art is as primordial as the will to survive.

>> No.10183702

>>10183474
the horrible and terrible being horrible and terrible say nothing of all that is good.

Paleolithic, new ways to survive?

Was he saying there should be no art, painting, drawing, movies, plays, stories, but only living, no flourishes, no decorations, no flair, no fashion,

can make technology, and nice restaurants and bars, and inventions, but just no entertainment. no music. Only working, working out, eating, space travel, sex, and having a good time

is sport considered art?

>> No.10183740
File: 328 KB, 729x1213, maximos_14.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>When God created human nature, he did not create sensible pleasure and pain along with it; rather, he furnished it with a certain spiritual capacity for pleasure, a pleasure whereby human beings would be able to enjoy God ineffably. But at the instant he was created, the first man, by use of his senses, squandered this spiritual capacity--the natural desire of the mind for God--on sensible things. In this, his very first movement, he activated an unnatural pleasure through the medium of the senses. Being, in his providence, concerned for our salvation, God therefore affixed pain alongside this sensible pleasure as a kind of punitive faculty, whereby the law of death was wisely implanted in our corporeal nature to curb the foolish mind in its desire to incline unnaturally toward sensible things.

>Henceforth, because irrational pleasure entered human nature, pain entered our nature opposite this pleasure in accordance with reason, and, through the many sufferings (παθηματα) in which and from which death occurs, pain uproots unnatural pleasure, but does not completely destroy it, whereby, then, the grace of the divine pleasure of the mind is naturally exalted. For every suffering (πονος), effectively having pleasure as its primary cause, is quite naturally, in view of its cause, a penalty exacted from all who share in human nature. Indeed, such suffering invariably accompanies unnatural pleasure in everyone for whom the law of pleasure, itself having no prior cause, has preconditioned their birth. By that I mean that the pleasure stemming from the original transgression was ‘uncaused’ insofar as it quite obviously did not follow upon an antecedent suffering.

>After the transgression pleasure naturally preconditioned the births of all human beings, and no one at all was by nature free from birth subject to the passion associated with this pleasure; rather, everyone was requited with sufferings, and subsequent death, as the natural punishment. The way to freedom is hard for all who were tyrannized by unrighteous pleasure and naturally subject to just sufferings and to the thoroughly just death accompanying them.

>> No.10183872

>wanting to opt out of being a human being
What are you planning to become instead?

Pain signifies a lack of something you want / need, and the pursuit of what you lack gives meaning to life. A person who can instantly have anything he wants is not going to be happy. Happiness is only present in the pursuit.

>> No.10184226

>>10183474
Picked up Turtles all the way Down in the Grocery store yesterday and noticed that the epigraph was from Schopenhauer. What did he mean by this?
>the bit on 'Man can't will what he wills'

>> No.10184271

>>10183474
Beating their wings
Against the white clouds,
You can count each one
Of the wild geese flying:
Moon, an autumn night.

>> No.10184740

>>10183474
Nature isn't perverse until it reaches maturity.

>> No.10184745
File: 4 KB, 190x250, tips antinatalism.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10183474
Even more beautiful than that is when another person can analyse this reality, make it through the pain and choose to not bring more life into this world, knowing that would only just bring more pain.