[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 1200x630, Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander, Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne and David Cameron react as Shadow chancellor Ed Balls response after Osborne delivered his Autumn Statement.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10181484 No.10181484 [Reply] [Original]

I've been reading all these recent Oxbridge topics, along with that Oxford copypasta, with some bemusement. I went to Oxford and did a PPE degree. I have also read a lot of bitter posts about poshness but I did see a grain of truth: that the public school upbringing shielded you from feeling offence. It's true. It's always jarring when I come across a /lit/ type in real life, one of those fiercely attempting to climb the class ladder through erudition and intellect alone. It is embarrassing on both sides.

On the one hand, this person, so used to being the towering intellect in their Durham-LSE-UCL (oh spare me about English Literature rankings!)-Warwick social circle (Bristol, Edinburgh, and St. Andrews seem to produce only jolly clowns, not these types), is visibly mortified while realising how much the Oxbridge natural brilliance shines through. What's funny is that they are invariably better read than me. Tolstoy's lesser known works and so on. But they are still visibly insecure, in many cases shaking. Sometimes I use my 3-to-1 tutorial hewn bullshitting technique to pretend that I have read as much as them but I always reveal that I am joking and this terrifies them, as if realising I have been boxing with both hands behind my back. Please, you guys, DON'T come across so try hard.

I now float in and out of fashionable South Kensington, Russel Square, and, when I feel like knobbing that hipsterish girl you cooed over in your 30 person English tutorials as a Chinese teaching assistant failed to draw ANY original thoughts from the class, Camden mileus on these autumnal and winter Friday and Saturday nights. It's quite funny really, my friends and I were academically brilliant, on many occasions being invited for individual wine sessions with multiple tutors from Economics, Law, and English Literature, and being begged to continue on with further study- on one occasion my tutor postponed his meeting with the Presidents of the World Bank and IMF where he would advise them of the Venezuela situation, in order to plead with me to develop a Hegelian line of attack on the similarities of English common law and Constantinople law that I had mentioned in a throwaway comment- and yet, in these fashionable parties, the most easily brilliant and witty people were the Oxbridge colleagues among us who had done so academically badly. Lowly Atillas, lazy Desmonds, narcoleptic Douglases: who knew they were so brilliant? But I guess that's Oxbridge for you!

>> No.10181501

>>10181484
>on one occasion my tutor postponed his meeting with the Presidents of the World Bank and IMF where he would advise them of the Venezuela situation, in order to plead with me to develop a Hegelian line of attack on the similarities of English common law and Constantinople law that I had mentioned in a throwaway comment

dead

>> No.10181751

>>10181484
Very nice, made me smile a little bit

>> No.10181761
File: 309 KB, 822x796, 1453585208526.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be stuck in traffic
>start swearing
>start shouting about how the internal contradictions of american society will be our downfall what with the auto industry and its importance in our lives and the stockholm syndrome we all have with cars
>mfw my history and philosophy degree made me into someone who gets eloquent when he has road rage

>> No.10181769

>It's quite funny really, my friends and I were academically brilliant, on many occasions being invited for individual wine sessions with multiple tutors from Economics, Law, and English Literature, and being begged to continue on with further study- on one occasion my tutor postponed his meeting with the Presidents of the World Bank and IMF where he would advise them of the Venezuela situation, in order to plead with me to develop a Hegelian line of attack on the similarities of English common law and Constantinople law that I had mentioned in a throwaway comment-
This is the funniest thing I've read in weeks

>> No.10181770

That last paragraph was actually quite comfy

>> No.10181778
File: 36 KB, 400x386, 1459340012279.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>the Venezuela situation
got me

>> No.10181779

Trying to bluster over the time the Bullies stripped you nekkid?

>> No.10181786

burger here. whats with the names in the last paragraph? is it a stereotype for posh people to have an s at the end of their name?

>> No.10181792

>>10181786
that's how you turn a singular noun into a plural noun in our shared mother-tongue, my fellow clapper

>> No.10181796

This is fantastic. *tips top hat*

>> No.10181806

>>10181484
>Please, you guys

Allegedly all the best English public schooling money can buy and you still speak like a twat who has spent too long inside watching yank TV. How embarrasing.

>> No.10181807

>>10181792
ah, i see now

>> No.10181822

>>10181484
Sorry it's not doing it for me.
The original Oxford pasta is king. This is shit.

>> No.10181829

>>10181822
this
the original one is so much better than all of these shitty "witty" sequels

>> No.10181833

>>10181822
same here. way too obvious.

>> No.10181968

>>10181484
'Public school' means 'private school' in the UK dipshit. You meant 'state school' here.