[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 77 KB, 960x720, self-pride.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10152488 No.10152488 [Reply] [Original]

Tell it to me straight. Is this guy a meme or is his work actually worth something? Where should I start?

>> No.10152505
File: 51 KB, 500x562, spooks6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>is his work actually worth something?
Yes.

Start here:
https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/max-stirner-the-ego-and-his-own

Then:
https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/max-stirner-stirner-s-critics
https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/max-stirner-the-false-principle-of-our-education

>> No.10152789

>>10152488
Hes both a meme and worth reading, like a lot of authors.

>> No.10152794

>>10152488
His observations were revolutionary and quite interesting. His prescriptions are retarded. Still worth reading, absolutely.

>> No.10152800

>>10152488
Meme, not worth reading. The fact that he's know only in internet circles speaks for itself.

>> No.10152823

>>10152505
Alright I'm tired of Stirner memes but I really liked this one

>> No.10152940

>>10152488
he is a meme. His stance lacks logic, if implemented it would be chaotic and redundant.

>> No.10152970

>>10152940
Yea but would it matter? You're thinking from a societal point of view. A true egoist cares about fulfilling his own goals more than keeping society going.

>> No.10152995

>>10152970
True egoist wants a comfy life, I don't see how a world where everyone has to work in the bakery to make their own bread, is comfy. egoist wants a comfy life and I don't see how his subordinates constantly keeping him on his toes is comfy. Stirner formula is okish when you are the only egoist in the area but when everyone is an egoist it goes to shit. even when you are the only egoist, society makes sure to punish your egoism, so you may end up being an "egoist" who lost the fight for dominance and has to subordinate himself like all the other "sheep" except unlike the sheep you are unhappy

>> No.10153168

>>10152995
>egoist wants a comfy life
What a subjective missrepresentation. Wrong, and egoist wants the life he disires, I for once, wish I lived in a post apocaliptic society full of strife, or at least enough to wead out those who lack determination and power of will, know at least two others who think alike.

>> No.10153170

>>10152995
Being egoistic isn't about "dominating" in the sense of making people subordinate to you in a hierarchy. Where did you get this idea? Certainly not from Stirner.

>> No.10153228

>>10152488
Stirner is certainly worth a read. Sometimes I wonder if I should just abandon /lit/ for it's pompous incompetence in butchering several philosophers, memes aside and all.

Let's see what Stirner himself had to say:

>Sacred things excist only for the egoist who doesn't recognize himself, the involuntary egoist, for the one who is always out for his own, and yet does not consider himself the highest essence, who only serves himself and at the same time always thinks of serving a higher being, who knows nothing higher than himself and yet is crazy about something higher; in short, for the egoist who doesn't want to be an egoist, and degrades himself, i.e., fights for his egoism, but at the same time degrades himself so that he will "be exalted," and thus gratify his egoism. Because he wants to stop being an egoist, he looks about in heaven and earth for higher beings that he can serve and sacrifice himself to; but however much he shakes and chastises himself, in the end he does everything for his own sake, and the disreputable egoism never gives way in him. This is why I call him an involuntary egoist.

>His effort and care to get away from himself are nothing but the misunderstood drive for self-dissolution. If you are bound to your last hour, if you must babble today as you did yesterday, if you can't transform yourself in every instant, you feel yourself in slave's shackels and frozen. This is why, beyond each moment of your excistence, a fresh moment of the future beckons to you, and developing yourself, you get away "from yourself," i.e., from your current self. As you are in each moment, you are your own creation, and now in this "creation," you don't want to lose yourself, the creator. You are yourself a higher essence than you are, and you outdo yourself. But that you are the one who is higher than you, i.e., that your are not mere creation, but likewise your own creator, this you fail to recognize as an involuntary egoist; and so the "higher essence" is for you an alien thing. Every higher essence, like truth, humanity, etc., is an essence over us.

>> No.10153263

I read The Ego and his own, it had an interesting genealogy of ideas - not much more to be said of it, I didn't understand all the egoist arguments

>> No.10153301

What is the connection between the creative nothing and Hegel?