[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 45 KB, 424x600, attendingshennanegans.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1013687 No.1013687 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/

Planning out my dissertation for Advanced Higher English, know I want to use 1984 in some way.

Need to have another book either by the same author or with similar themes. I'd rather be more original and go for a book with similar themes than pick Animal Farm.

So can anyone rec a book with similar (or even contrasting) themes? Cheers.

>> No.1013705
File: 7 KB, 154x251, why.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>1984

Other dystopian fiction seems to be the obvious answer. If it's high school, just use Fahrenheit 451 or BNW, but that's probably not impressive enough for a college-level paper. Honestly, if it's college-level, I wouldn't do 1984 at all.

>> No.1013736

>>1013705

Ironically, your own pic asks the very question that your own post raises.

>> No.1013746

>>1013736
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

>> No.1013753

be original
BNW

>> No.1013758

>>1013736
I dunno, I mostly consider Orwell's fiction (Animal Farm and 1984, anyways) to be high school level. They're obvious commentary on the historical events of the time, and what can be said about them has pretty much already been said. There's no challenge to the interpretation, it's pretty clear and even people who haven't read it know the general idea.

From what I've seen, my college courses generally wanted something a bit more challenging, less general, that you can back up a new assertion about, (then again, I mostly wrote art history papers). I'd imagine that would especially be the case if it's your dissertation.

Why are you so set on it? What new things do you think you could say about it?