[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 17 KB, 320x303, 6a00cdf3a54d98cb8f0110166d6c93860d-320pi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1004512 No.1004512 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /lit/ I'm quite new to literature in general,and I want to start writing now (ideally everyday), and I want to start writing short stories, problem is I can't think of any ideas and I'm always waiting for some muse. How does /lit/ get their ideas for stories or any kind of writing? I feel like I can't practice improving because I'm hindered by writer's block and this somewhat demotivates me.

I've read how Bradbury does, using single nouns as a source of inspiration so I've heard, but that doesn't seem to work for me, what are your methods /lit/? Let's hear them.

>> No.1004519

Think of something - have an idea of some sort. Twist it around in your head - think of the implications and relations and consequences and, in general, everything connected to it. Write it down and percolate. Repeat. Combine ideas to form story.

>> No.1004527

Don't try to force your creativity. Go outside and experience life, you aren't going to find inspiration leaning over a computer staring at a blank word document.

>> No.1004542

Would keeping a journal improve your writing at all? It just seems to me like a journal forces you to spews out nonsensical ideas and too much randomness that only nurtures the habit of writing horribly, kind of like a blog.

>>1004527

Also do you record your experiences from daily life too?

>> No.1004554

Just write. Make it a point to at least write a bit every day. Thirty minutes, an hour, whatever fells comfortable. You're not going to sit down and start crackin' out novels right off.

It's kind of like exercising. As you work your brain, you find new ways to use it, and it'll get STRONGS.

Lots of what you write is going to be shit. But, if you write, you'll have a good chance of coming up with something good eventually. When you get to something good, well, take it more seriously than whatever else you're working on.

>> No.1004569

Why do you want to write if you don't have anything to say?

air browbeats

>> No.1004571

One character wants something that the other character has but is unwilling to give up for some reason.

There. There's your prompt. Write something.

>> No.1004572

>>1004569
This.

>> No.1004573

>>1004571
There is a character we like and identify with. He wants something, but obstacles are placed in his way. There is a character we like. He is placed in danger. There are two characters we like. They are in love, but there are obstacles in their way.

Build characters, make us like them, and then make life really shitty for them.

>> No.1004577

>>1004571

Thanks I will try to come up with something, I guess prompts help.

>>1004569

I usually do have a lot to say in my head, I just find it hard to put that down on paper sometimes, or I just feel the effort of writing anything down is trivial because my thoughts are just random fragments of ideas or reflections with no structure, I guess the same applies to everyone though.

>> No.1004579

>>1004577
Fragmentary ideas need to be developed and nurtured. Write them down and then come back to them.

>> No.1004581

>>1004579

Good point, similar to the drafting process I go through with my analysis papers for English class.

>> No.1004604

Don't write. Go live. Then write.

>> No.1004609

Have you ever pulled down your pants, sat down on the toilet and just pushed for an hour or so even if you didnt have to shit?

Dont force it.

Also write drunk and edit sober.

>> No.1004611
File: 33 KB, 320x240, intellectual.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1004604

I'd rather live vicariously through my protagonists.

>> No.1004619

But don't live too much. For instance the Beats...

>> No.1005744

Try reading Stephen King's book on how he does it, google it