[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 17 KB, 257x389, The_Disaster_Artist[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10027369 No.10027369 [Reply] [Original]

I don't know how I should be feeling about this. I don't know if I should be ashamed of myself (as I often am), or if I should be thrilled about being this excited about something. I've read a couple of books in my life but never before I was actually seduced by a book. You probably know the feeling when you read non-stop and you can't wait to know what's going to happen next. Although I could sense and appreciate the vision of many classic authors, I never felt motivated to continue reading their books. However, something strange happened yesterday. I heard about how Hollywood was making a film based on The Room, telling the behind-the-scenes story of that trainwreck. Later I discovered that this movie was based on the book "The Disaster Artist" and, since I was curious about how the mind of someone like Wiseau works, I decided to give it a shot. And I'm glad I did. I didn't even want to sleep because I was so hooked on this damn thing, and I know I must sound like some kind of shill but I really was. The book is nothing special, it has no special literary merit or anything, but I just thought it was so funny that I couldn't put it away. I feel like the biggest pleb in the world, I even feel beneath the readers of GRRM and other fantasy crap, but I just can't lie that I felt more engaged by some stupid book about some model-looking white guy enjoying all the priviledge of being white and beautiful with his very peculiar and rich friend than with the biggest classics of literature.

Does this mean that I'm a pleb or I should just read more? Maybe I should look for different kinds of books? This is a very strange feeling, familia.

>> No.10027380

>>10027369
you fucking moron. You absolute fucking idiot

read whatever you like, it doesn't matter what some virgins on an image board think about your taste

>> No.10027395

>>10027380
I don't care about morons, or virgins even. The thing is, I'm actually intrigued about this. You have to understand that I'm a very contemplative person; I enjoy challenging films and in-depht discussions about Kant's transcendental aesthethics and Habermas' theory of communicative action. I take pride of the identity that I created for myself, but now I think it was all a lie all along. I feel strange, and I think I'm in my right to feel this way.

>> No.10027546

I've had the same experience OP. I read so much for the pseud cred that when I come across a book I really like it becomes shocking to me and I suspect the book may be bad because of it.

How can a book be good if it doesn't have purple prosed moralistic monologues or lolsorandumb post modern style kookiness? I can barely believe it

>> No.10028678

>>10027369

>Does this mean that I'm a pleb or I should just read more?

Yes, that's exactly what it means.

Ignore this retard >>10027380

>> No.10029620

Entertaining book. A few years ago I listened to an audio version read by Greg Sestero. Like most people, I saw The Room and my curiosity about Tommy Wiseau was never satisfied, which lead me to the book some years later.
Much like you, I looked forward to just about every line. I think it's a unique story, unmatched, funny,sad, etc. It's not a fun ride every second (the way I remember it.) That one part about Wiseau having "I do not choose to be a common man" tacked above his bed, was depressing yet empowering. There were little moments of humanity like that I enjoyed.

Tommy Wiseau is a mystery. After watching his movie, listening to the book, and even watching interviews, I'm still wondering if the whole thing is an elaborate hoax pulled off by a man much more committed than Andy Kaufman.
Andy Kaufman interests me too. There's nothing wrong with having interests, OP. By no means should you feel ashamed. Actually, you should go back and read your favorite parts, if not the whole thing, again.

And as for classics...
Once again, it's a matter of interests. Know your interests, and don't be ashamed.

>> No.10029655

>The Room originated as a play, completed by Wiseau in 2001. Wiseau stated he then adapted the play into a 500-page book, which he was unable to get published.

I want to read that book.

>> No.10030225

Yes it does mean that you are a pleb. Some people just watch marvel movies or read genre fiction, it's what they are equipped for. It's not even a matter of intelligence, it's a matter of the soul.

>> No.10031212

>>10029620
Thanks anon, I feel more accepted. And yes, it's not funny all the time. I'm almost finishing it and it actually made me get quite sad a couple of times. The figure of Tommy is quite tragic, specially because I can't pin down any mental illness on him. Then again, maybe I shouldn't.

>> No.10032371

Dishonourable sudoku.

>> No.10032409

that book is actually really good, the people calling you a pleb hasn't read it.

t. certified patrician that has read the meme trilogy

>> No.10032466

>>10027369
The book has a lot of great anecdotes, but the writing gets insufferable after a while. It's got that ghostwritten thing going on where every paragraph ends in a joke or a wacky simile.

>> No.10032685

>>10027380
fpbp

>> No.10032754

>>10027369
Yeah book definitely has a bit of a ghostwritten feel to it. But I totally feel you OP, I could not put this book down. Finished it in one sitting. The editor did a great job with piecing together the book. There's a little bit of everything in here though -- some comedy, some drama, some examination of the character that is Tommy Wiseau. Highly recommend it!

Really bummed about Tommy Wiseau not agreeing to release the 'Room Full of Spoons'. The documentary looked so good from the trailer. I want to understand who Tommy Wiseau really is and where he came from. 'The Disaster Artist' did give some insight into Tommy's history but still was rather vague. Hopefully one day he agrees!

But anyway...how's your sex life?