[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 857 KB, 850x1493, 1270882932152.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1002679 No.1002679 [Reply] [Original]

pic unrelated

I started learning Latin a couple months ago and after about 10 hours of study I'm losing motivation. I haven't worked on it in a week or two.
Everywhere I look I see latin, It seems every where I turn I see latin and it reminds me about what I started and haven't continued.

TR;DL : Anybody else learning a foreign language? How do you stay motivated?

>> No.1002686

It's getting into a routine, I find.
Currently working on Latin, German and French

>> No.1002700

>>1002686

What learning material are you using for latin? I really wish I could afford to use and support Rosetta stone. I found a couple textbooks with answ keys at a site called textkit with a decent forum for latin and greek. Also I'm subscribed to a youtuber who has a series called "learning latin with virgil" which was my starting point.

>> No.1002710

read. reading in a different language is the best way to learn and is interesting at the same time.

>> No.1002758

I have been doing a number of languages for years now, including latin and ancient greek.

The trick, at least for me, is to do a little every day, and not a lot in one big go, say one or two words a day, that's it.

And you have to keep it relevant, learn passages from famous texts, or a few proverbs.

And yeah, Latin and Greek are everywhere - about 90% of English words come from Latin, and so also from Greek.

Keep at it.

>> No.1002794

[Spoiler]No.[/spoiler]

>> No.1002815

>about 90% of English words come from Latin

you best be trollan

>> No.1002824

>>1002758
90% is an exaggeration methinks. English vocabulary is made up of Latin, some Greek, quite a bit of Norman French (thus indirectly Latin), and of course Old English (Germanic) words. All of these are in the Indo-European family, and so are likely to be related to Greek and Latin words in one way or another.

>> No.1002848

>>1002824
>>1002815

> Wikipedia: Estimates of native words (derived from Old English) range from 20%–33%...

So I was out by 10-20%, meh. The majority of words are still of a Greek/Latin/Romance languages origin.

>> No.1002854

I did briefly search for Rosetta Stone's Latin and wasn't able to come up with good results. Can anyone provide good sauce for RS; Latin?

cap: " Onda feet,"

>> No.1002859

>>1002854

textkit.com

Loads of old textbooks on there.

Don't wanna scare you, but I find Greek easier than Latin, maybe it's just me though.

>> No.1002868

>>1002710

the you-tuber whose series I was following teaches you beginner latin as he tells you a story that you are able to read passages from as you are integrated. It's pretty entertaining and offers a dash of challenge. What are some great beginner texts for me to read in latin?

captcha : "northbound inquiries"

>> No.1002883

>>1002868

After a couple of months' study? None. You'll be too inexperienced.

Apparently Livy is easier to understand, but I've studied Latin for about 10 years now, and shit's still difficult.

>> No.1002896

I learned Italian. It was easy. That's my advice. That it was easy.

>> No.1002968

Is somebody here French or learned it? I'm currently going through the RosettaStone course but my main goal is to read French poetry (Rimbaud and Baudelaire, but I figure they may be too advanced). I'm thinking of beginning to read and I thought maybe Antoine de Saint-Exupery's Litte Prince or Sartre's Les Mots could be good as an introduction. Is this a good plan? Note that I only know some basic things so I'm looking for something that could teach me sentence structures and words like to be or to play.
Any help would be appreciated.

>> No.1003040

>>1002868
Get Orberg's Lingua Latina. Thank me later.

It's an all-Latin textbook that gives you Latin reading in increasingly difficult passages. Grammar explanations are given in Latin with pictures. You learn to read Latin fluently instead of translating from your native language first.

Learning this way is also a lot more fun: instead of doing verb drills every day, you're actually reading Latin and following a story.

By the end of the first book you're reading unadapted Classical Latin texts.

>> No.1003144

>>1002854
try TPB

>> No.1003150

>>1003040
Where can I get it? Is there really no English anywhere?

>> No.1003176

Learned French in school (late immersion program)

Not really that hard, but completely different than independent study.

Sorry

>> No.1003177

>>1003150
Orberg was Norwegian or something. There really is nothing but Latin in the book. Even the copyright page is in Latin. It's still supposed to take you from complete n00b to skilled reader by the end of the series. One advantage of a textbook like that is you can sell it anywhere without translations.

It should be available on line somewhere. Look and you'll find it.

There are student guides written for most languages, plus a series of additional readings after you've finished the first two books. The idea is that you are a great reader and understand grammar naturally and fluently but your vocabulary isn't very big when you're finished. With a good Latin dictionary you can read anything though.

>> No.1003393
File: 49 KB, 300x300, bookshelf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

front page of digg, 30 Books to read before turning thirty.

agree, disagree? I like having a small description of each over on the side, I added 5-10 books to my 'to-read' list.

>> No.1003395
File: 23 KB, 332x332, lebowski_walter_freaks_out.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1003393
>Digg
Go away.

>> No.1003407

"foreign language"
LOL

>> No.1003441

>seems every where I turn I see

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn?

everything's fine, OP.