[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 155 KB, 1487x2343, 71bTG3H4l4L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10016134 No.10016134 [Reply] [Original]

What do I need to read in order to understand Society of the Spectacle?

>> No.10016149

>>10016134
Realize everything you've read was a spectacular image and you need to jam capitalist culture. So steal the book and burn without having read it.

>> No.10016151

It's pretty easy to get into. Lukacs would probably help, but nothing is necessary.

>> No.10016191

I'll summarize.

So take an event like Trayvon Martin. Basically nobody gives a shit about the truth of what happened with Trayvon Martin and the only thing people give a shit about is that their side "wins", because everyone is too emotionally invested. People want to feel good.

You only see small fragments of "important spectacles" or events and with the way media works, they are increasingly cut and chopped into fragments that sell a certain story. Also media and technology that appear to connect us push us farther from human interaction.

The context of what is "good and will make you happy" is constantly framed by media.

The author thinks of people as more sheepish, but in reality I think people know this stuff generally and don't care. Like all writers he killed himself masturbating to isolated smart-sadness and his own alcoholism or something because he was "too smart to be happy." or whatever the writer thing is.

>> No.10016204

>>10016134

It is very helpful to have a basic understanding of Marx and 19th-20th century European history in general. In particular, you should know a little bit about how Capital V. 1 is laid out, and how it it starts with "the commodity". Like the very first chapter of Capital, this is the reason why Debord starts "going into cases" in the second chapter, by comparing the commodity with his own spectacle-paradigm - Debord is framing his analysis in terms of Marxism, and particularly with regard to Capital V. I.

>> No.10016449

Commodity Fetishism by Marx, that's really it.

>> No.10016559

guy debord - the society of the spectacle

>> No.10016930

>>10016559
Good post

>> No.10016935

>>10016191
This seems more like McLuhan than Debord. The Spectacle is more pervasive than just the media since it is based on Marx and the economy of human production.

>> No.10016942

>>10016134
I'm not sure, but you would definitely have to read Society of The Spectacle

>> No.10017233
File: 87 KB, 466x600, IMG_2075.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10016935
This. Or Baudrillard.

In the situationist notion of spectacle, every once lived experience has receded into a re-presentation; that is, 'life' is not even directly lived any longer. It is the furthest redevelopment of Marx's theory of alienation, where under the current stage of capitalist production, workers are not merely alienated from the product of labour, but are severed from all directly lived experience through an economy of re-presentatory images that take the place of 'Real Life'.