[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 65 KB, 577x533, 1215276723673.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
978245 No.978245 [Reply] [Original]

Have you ever chatted with a real Jap, Anon? Not with a weaboo or a non-native, but a genuine native Eleven who speaks moonspeak fluently.

Whether it be face-to-face (INCOMING SHITSTORM) or just via net, /jp/, if it's a native speaker, talking with them is one of the most self-embarrassing things you'll ever do.

If it's in English, you'll be trying hard not to laugh at their horrible grammar, if it's in moonspeak you can guess that they're doing the same. Actually, it'll feel even worse if it's in English. You might get one who feels offended without the honorifics, and typing them will make you feel like even more of a faggot. Saying them out loud? Forget it.

I hate the word "Japanese," but explaining Eleven/Moonspeak/Moonrunes/etc. to a Jap just... isn't something to be taken lightly. I'm afraid of what might become of it.

Try typing "How was your day, Takeshi-san?" without cringing. You can't do it, Anon.

There's really no point to this。

>> No.978261

Sure there is. You're helping break-in the 'report' and 'delete' buttons.

>> No.978277

Okay, thank you.

>> No.978275

>>Try typing "How was your day, Takeshi-san?" without cringing. You can't do it, Anon.

I laughed and said "Yes I can" at first, but then I tried it.

Fuck you, Anon.

>> No.978285
File: 42 KB, 704x396, 1215661502000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>978245

>> No.978297

For a long time I was friends with a Japanese immigrant in Texas and he spoke better English than the majority of the state. I remember his parents being a little too polite, but I didn't find it all too awkward at all. He wasn't that different from any American I've met. How many Japanese have you actually met OP?

>> No.978298

I never use titles in English. I find it very strange when one of the other guys I work with uses -san in English when commenting on Japanese bugs in the database....

I do tend to use familiar speech instead of formal, so I'm sure I've pissed off some people before.

>> No.978306

I study anthropology and my first field work was on japanese immigrants, so I spoke with a few japanese elderly men and their familiars. I don't know moon and I don't live in an english-speaking country, though. However, they don't seem to have much interest in my native language(what was quite interesting for my work), so the whole conversation was horrible either way.

>> No.978314

Uhhh... I speak with them on a daily basis in Moon? I've been dating one in Moon for the last two years? IT'S NOT THAT HARD PEOPLE.

>> No.978336

>>978314
>>I've been dating one in Moon for the last two years

Over the internet, right? RIGHT?

>> No.978352

>>978336
You dropped your sage. Good thing I found it.

>> No.978354

I usually say Sir or Mame when addressing people. But I haven't spoken to a real person in years.

>> No.978359

>>978336
No, up close and personal. SORRY.

>> No.978372
File: 44 KB, 640x480, 1215662109184.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>978314

Two years? It shouldn't take you that long to beat Moon.

>> No.978375

>>978359

Fuck you. I don't believe you.

Photo or bullshit.

>> No.978378

>>978359
...then what are you doing here?

>> No.978451
File: 510 KB, 2592x1944, 1215662906157.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>978378
Waiting for packages to be delivered. I was in Tokyo yesterday and wasn't here to sign for them.

>>978375
One of the only pictures I have with both of us in the frame together; I don't take many pictures myself, so the bulk of them are from his camera.

>> No.978471

>>978451

Ohhhhh I see....

>> No.978476

>>978451
Wait... so you're both dudes? In Japan?!

What's that like?

>> No.978477

>>978451
well played

>> No.978478

>>978451
Makes more sense if you're a fruit, just don't ever bring up dating again and you can go on your merry way.

>> No.978491

uh, my japanese teacher.

i never really had actual conversations with him in moon, other than what we did in class, but his english is really good.

>> No.978502

I worked as a salesperson in moonland a few years ago. My moon is actually pretty painful, so it was quite... challenging.

>> No.978521

>>978354

I say Kawaks and MAME.

>> No.978526

>>978476
Well, things are slightly more complicated than that; we met in Japan two years and some months ago, and started a relationship, but already at that point he had plans to move to the States. I followed him back (i.e. went home) a few months after he made his move; I, however, have been back in Japan for the last few months doing research/living off US tax payers' money, but I'll be heading back in a month or so. In summary, most of our "dating" has been in the States/North America, and not Japan, but I can tell you that one of the secondary reasons (after professional decisions) for his wanting to go to the States was because being gay is somewhat more constricting in Japan than it is in a comparable environment in the West.

>>978478
It's not too hard for foreign men to snag Japanese girlfriends, though -- several of my colleagues have been hard at work in that department (admittedly with varying success). I've had some offers from the female set, as well, but, well, you know.

>> No.978555

>>978526
What are the chances of an average foreign man like me snaging loli? In a consentual way.

>> No.978557

>>978526
I heard there are some gay-friendly areas of Japan? Very small gay-friendly areas?

>> No.978572

>>978555

Don't make me get Hansen-san.

>> No.978635

>>978555
I'm not sure that your chances are very good -- most lolis aren't quite into the whole idea of being snatched, considering the fact that they are NOT SEXUALLY DEVELOPED. Visiting 4chan has made me uncomfortable with the lolis, though, because, despite THE GAY, I imagine you loli-hunters chasing your prey. I work part-time (in a volunteer capacity) at a local cafe, and a family with the most adorable little girl (somewhere between two and four, probably?) came in, and ultimately had me hold her and took a picture. I felt so awkward being asked -- EXPECTED, even -- to touch her, considering my knowledge of loli-love. She sure was cute, though.

>>978557
Shinjuku's 2-Chome district is probably the most well-known gay hub in Tokyo; Osaka and Kyoto, as well as other cities, have their share of gay bars and what have you tucked away here and there, but "gay areas" in Japan tend to lean more towards "night life" than "community," since many gay Japanese very much lead double lives. Even online, many gay men will have a "public" mixi for their straight friends and acquaintances, as well as a separate, gay one, where they are open about their sexuality. Interestingly, Japan doesn't have a real history of "gay bashing" or any actual cultural/moral sanctions against homosexuality (that, and any truly negative attitudes towards homosexuality are really Western imports coming in during the 文明開化 period) -- it's just that being openly gay isn't well understood and isn't accepted inasmuch as it doesn't follow the prescribed social framework

>> No.978712

>>978635
Cool beans, thanks for the firsthand.

>doesn't follow the prescribed social framework
And therefore is not actively reviled, but quietly shunned. Yeah, that pretty much fits with what I understand.

>> No.978740

>>978712
No problem; I'm always open to fielding questions.

>> No.978760

There is a family that moved here from Japan near where I live, and the son and daughter both go to the same university that I work at. I bump into them regularly, and try to help them out. I can tell you that their English is not all that great but it isn't as bad as some of the children I have met as exchange students. The parents on the other hand are a different story. The father speaks only Japanese and the mother speaks VERY broken English at best, and if I want to talk to either of them I have to have one of the children translate for me.

>> No.978780

I speak with my cousin in Moon. She just came from Japan on a student visa to go to college here. Her English isn't that good(Actually better than most Chinese immigrants like my parents) and my Japanese is only 2 years of college classes. Basic conversation we have no problem. If we get a bit technical we end up sounding like retarded children trying to explain what we want.

>> No.978783

>>978780
You sound like a retarded child.

>> No.978799

>>978451
Dude, I think you missed "her" Adam's Apple.

>> No.978807

I've talked to some elevens on 2ch in English, it was like talking to any other foreigner.

Anyway, how was your day, Anonymous-san?

>> No.978823

>>978807
I'll be translating Getter Robo Go.

>> No.978831

Move to Japan and become an English teacher and then you will be /paid/ to talk to Elevens.
I guarantee you will never want to talk to another one again after a few weeks.

>> No.978843

>>978823

Don't play with my heart. It can't take it anymore.

>> No.978848

>>978245
Because everyone in /jp/ is a monolingual weaboo.

I'm in Japan as an exchange student and speak Japanese on a daily basis.

>>978451
Cool. Hope it works out for the both of you. Do his parents know of him being gay?

>> No.978852

>>978848
Underage.

>> No.978853

>>978843
No, really. Volume 1-2 are already translated, some guy on /m/ will get volumes 3-5 in French and scan them for me. From there, it's easy translating until volumes 6 and 7, which are still moon-only and will take a lot more time to translate.

>> No.978857

>>978853

I love you.

>> No.978861

>>978852
Uhm. I'm an exchange student at a universities graduate department.. How did you manage to go from "exchange student" to "under age"?

>> No.978863

>>978861
Um. Excuse me sir. Please leave quietly.

>> No.978866

>>978848
No, which made it kind of awkward when I met them, and now when I occasionally hang out with his sister. His situation is pretty typical vis-a-vis the whole coming-out thing, but he's gotten more open about it since moving to the States (for instance, he no longer gives me a vagina when talking about his "significant other" with his friends). I've never been very interested in the gay scene on either side of the Pacific, so my experiences aren't as grim and gritty as some, but I have enough friends who are knee-deep so as to live vicariously through them.

>> No.978868

>>978863
Because only high schools have exchange programmes, amiright?

>> No.978879

>>978245
>Try typing "How was your day, Takeshi-san?"
I'd never do something as retarded as that.
And if the person can't speak english or german,he/she should fuck off.

>> No.978881

>>978866
Well, good luck for the future. Coming out publicly seems pretty difficult even in my rather liberal home country of the Netherlands. I can imagine it being even more difficult in the US and downright painful here in Japan.

I suppose one of the few benefits is that any people you befriend and who accept your nature are at the very least proven to be open-minded.

>> No.978910

>>978866
>I've never been very interested in the gay scene on either side of the Pacific, so my experiences aren't as grim and gritty as some, but I have enough friends who are knee-deep so as to live vicariously through them.
I identify with this.
+polite sage

>> No.978925

I talked to a japanese exchange student when I was in high school. I think my words were "tell your government to apaologize to the koreans already" his host student sure got pissed

>> No.978945
File: 216 KB, 1200x1600, 121548696133.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>978925
I lol'd heartily
>>978780
cool story, bro

>> No.979031

During my Japanese courses we would have native speakers available to spend time with in the ESL building on campus. First 2 semesters was great they needed native speakers of English so badly that I got two study companions each term. Then last year some idiotic professor got it in his tiny little mind that he would give extra credit to anyone who spent time with the ESL students ... anyone who knows the habits of students understands that the people who need extra credit the least are most likely the ones to get the extra credit, I couldn't even get in the door they had too many people sign up BEFORE they even started sign ups.

Damned idiot. Haven't spent time with a native speaker since, well besides my professor.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action