[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 136 KB, 1024x768, 2823621.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9628054 No.9628054 [Reply] [Original]

Why is Muv Luv Alternative so overrated? It's an 7 or 8 out of 10 at best, not the second coming like so many people say or think it is.

>> No.9628095

Because manchildren.

That's really as much as needs to be written.

The ridiculous fanservice(that they always fall over themselves trying to explain away in the most hilarious ways imaginable), the stupid drama, the DEEP and MATURE themes, the pants-on-head retarded military elements... It's all fodder for barely pubescent teenagers(or adults with mentality of barely pubescent teeagers) to wank over.

It's got its strong points, but all the nerds treating it like the second coming of christ is just... embarrassing to watch.

>> No.9628097

Because it's translated.

>> No.9628122

The info dumps and Original Hive were easily the worst parts of the game... maybe even eroge history.

>> No.9628144

Its a Micheal Bay movie in VN form

>> No.9628155

Worst VN ever made and everyone on /jp/ will agree with that

>> No.9628162

>>9628095
Can't believe manchildren would be interested in a medium so focused on escapism.

>> No.9628170

>>9628095
Tell us what you think about FSN

>> No.9628607

>>9628122
Chomp, BETA rape, and "I'm going to die for the man I love" were the worst parts actually

everyone else agreed

>> No.9628619

Why is Touhou so overrated? It's an 7 or 8 out of 10 at best, not the second coming like so many people say or think it is.

>> No.9628621

muv lul?

lyl

>> No.9628651

>>9628054
How much people like the game seems to depend largely on how much they like mecha and other sci-fi. If you like mecha MLA is like the second coming of christ, if you like military sci-fi but aren't into mecha that much it's still a damn good game because of the plot and infodumps and If you don't care about mecha and/or sci-fi, it's a melodramatic gorefest full of stupid infodumps.

>> No.9628689

>>9628651
>if you like military sci-fi

No, that's the goddamn thing - if you DO like military sci-fi then you're most likely going to hate Muv Luv because it's laughably bad at doing it.

Unless you don't read books and the only thing you consume is Japanese entertainment, I guess.

>>9628170

It's... about as good as its current opinion on /jp/ seems to be I guess? I mean, sure, 2/3 of the VN needs to be edited out, but no one other than most hardcore TM fags really seems to be holding it to as anything more than it is.

Plus, I respect it a lot for Saber - now, personally, I'm not a fan of her, but she's a character other writers should take lessons from(and oh, boy, did they ever) when writing moe.

>> No.9628745

>>9628689
Saber is quite possibly the shittiest lawful good knight girl I've seen in anything Japanese. There is nothing satisfying or original about her.

Also you can't "write moe". What the fuck does that even mean? More /a/ shit?

>> No.9628762

>>9628689
I read lots of military sci-fi, hate most Jap military SFand I love MLA. The infodumps were great and it was a hell of a lot more realistic with regards to the actual military aspects than most other military-centric sci-fi that comes out of Japan. Sure it had plenty of bullshit in it, particularly whenever action scenes cropped up, but by and large I found that the parts that weren't YAMATO DAMASHI GOTTA KILL THOSE BATERS were well-executed.

On an unrelated note, I agree with you almost entirely about Saber.

>> No.9628787

>>9628689
>other writers should take lessons from(and oh, boy, did they ever) when writing moe
She's boring and basically her moe is incredibly basic. Strict->dere, so well written, she needed a fuck to go dere.

>> No.9628795

>>9628787
>so well written, she needed a fuck to go dere.

Basically. Saber was no better than any Muv-luv character.

>> No.9628886

>>9628689
>Unless you don't read books and the only thing you consume is Japanese entertainment, I guess.
I read lots of books but not sci-fi or other genre fiction since it's an inferior form of pulp entertainment.

>> No.9628945

>>9628886
...but you think MLA is good?

Holy mother of autism.

>> No.9629103

>>9628945
It's good for what it's supposed to be but is not without some significant flaws.

>> No.9629120

I usually dislike science fiction and titles with military themes but I honestly loved Muv-Luv.

>> No.9629208 [DELETED] 

>>9628054 (OP)
Because Extra and Unlimited act as a filter for Alternative.

Only people who are interested enough in Alternative to wade through Extra and Unlimited get to play it. This causes a strong bias where people who aren't hyped about Alternative will likely not play it (due to being unable to wade through Extra and Unlimited), and thus do not rate it or talk about it (because only trolls argue about the quality of something they haven't played). Because the only people playing Alt are people who are hyped up for it and were able to trudge through Extra and Unlimited (which requires a certain amount of the series' less appealing elements), all votings and talk about Alternative are more positive than would be representative of the average VN reader.

>> No.9629215

>>9628054 (OP)
Because Extra and Unlimited act as a filter for Alternative.

Only people who are interested enough in Alternative to wade through Extra and Unlimited get to play it. This causes a strong bias where people who aren't hyped about Alternative will likely not play it (due to being unable to wade through Extra and Unlimited), and thus do not rate it or talk about it (because only trolls argue about the quality of something they haven't played). Because the only people playing Alt are people who are hyped up for it and were able to trudge through Extra and Unlimited (which requires a certain amount of tolerance for the series' less appealing elements), all votings and talk about Alternative are more positive than would be representative of the average VN reader.

>> No.9629220

>>9629208
Personally I thought Unlimited was actually fairly good, sure it had some bad parts but overall it was good.

>> No.9629232

My favorite chuuni shit kusoge

>> No.9629247

>>9629215
That would make sense if Alternative wasn't the weakest part of Muv Luv.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action