[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 62 KB, 704x480, If he can do it why cant you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9602150 No.9602150 [Reply] [Original]

Why haven't you made a VN yet, /jp/?

I just run into an unfinished script I wrote two years ago that I managed to completely forget about. Reading through it now, it's not even that horrible.

Since recently I'm in the mood for some creativity, maybe I'll finish something this time around.

Do you have any interesting ideas for a VN? Have you ever started working on one? It's been a while since we had one of those threads, so lets do this again.

>> No.9602166

The story of a 9 year old who got pregnant.

>> No.9602167

How do you write a VN script?

You can't do it linearly, obviously.

>> No.9602179

But I have.

However...I hate the only VN I created that was popular, and the rest of the things I write are always ignored.

>> No.9602183

>>9602167
You could just make the choices irrelevant

But then it's an WRPG

>> No.9602252

>>9602167
I'm not sure I understand your question.

VN are basically:

Common route + short scenes for each option and each choice(not necessarily only directly after each choice) + split routes affected by the flags the choices set + optional bad ends.

You just write each element. Of course, you could make a VN where every single choice means starting a completely different branching path, but that's suicide once you have more than a couple choices.

>> No.9602265

The survival story of a 20~25 year old guy that's struggling to survive in a world devastated by an apocalyptic nuclear winter. Most of the population, men and woman, were dead before the event since they were forcefully conscripted. Most of the other survivors MC finds are young children, of both genders, living in what's left of the world's cities buried under a thick layer of eternal snow.

At first MC is by himself. The people he had been with up until that point killed each other over what little food they could grasp. He sets out on a journey to find an inhabitable place to live while recruiting other survivors he finds along the way. Choices would include things such as accepting a new person into your group, quelling internal strives, and other survival dilemmas.

>> No.9602289

>>9602167
>You can't do it linearly, obviously.

What do you mean? Of course you can, just look at Cripple Fuck or Type-Shit. You just need to have a couple of Bad Ends, but since those storylines never continue it doesn't matter.

>> No.9602335

>>9602265

That's something like Swan Song, which it's already a VN, or El Eternauta, a graphic novel.

>> No.9602343

I'm working on some LN's.
Does that count for something?

>> No.9602346

A weakened veteran astronaut seeks help from a snooty master-doctor in hopes of finally returning to Earth.

Do you rike it?

>> No.9602359

Some guy on /jp/ made a VN a while ago, can't remember what it's called.

On another note, how is that loli catch game coming along? Haven't seen a thread in a while.

>> No.9602370

I expected /jp/ to understand VNs better than this...

VNs do not necessarily need to branch or have any choices. There are plenty of VNs that are completely linear (Higurashi, Umineko, Planetarian, Narcissu, True Remembrance, etc). There is also no definite template for how a VN has to be branched; many options are possible. The most popular one is giving each girl a route, then having a common route preceding it where choices raise or lower affection points for certain girls (all hidden to the player, naturally). At the end of the common route, the player then enters the route of the girl with the most affection points, or he faces a bad end for not having enough affection points with any girl. (You can see this in most moege.) Another (recently?) popular way to do it is to have one long running storyline, with routes branching off from the main storyline if a certain choice is made or a girl's affection points are high enough. (You can see this in Steins;Gate and G-Senjou no Maou, for example.) But there are also various other options; Saya no Uta provides two choices, the first one leading either to a continuation or an ending and the last one leading to two separate endings; Remember11 is linear with wrong choices causing bad endings; and 999 just uses random combinations of flags to determine which ending you get (seriously, fuck systems like that). There are countless ways to go about it, and every way of branching (including none at all) is valid.

>> No.9602374

>>9602359
You probably mean "Rita Please Respond" and it's not very good.

I want to make a commercial voiced VN like sake visual is doing but ill do a freeware one first

>> No.9602381

I can't think of any ideas and when I do I have trouble sticking to them please help me /jp/.

>> No.9602393

As for how to write branching stories, it depends on what kind of branching story you're trying to write and what the team is like. If you're going solo you can just vaguely plan what you want to write and then start writing, revising the common parts as you go.

Professionally, as far as I know (I haven't worked in the industry or anything), a VN team has a director, a scenario planner and one or multiple writers (and these roles can also be combined). The director pretty much paints the big picture, the scenario writer chops it up in scenes (this is the scene where the protagonist bumps into the tsundere with toast in her mouth, this scene has the protagonist confessing his love for the osananajimi, etc). The writers tend to get one or multiple routes to write on their own each, and they collaborate on the common route.

>> No.9602429

Me and another guy were working on an erotic VN. He was writing, I was drawing. The working title for the project was LoRIn, the letters of which stood for Loli, Rape, Incest.
Unfortunately, I think he got writer's block and felt guilty or something. He hasn't emailed me in two months.
We spent hours and hours planning, I spent hours sketching.
To just never hear from this dude... it's sort of sad seeing our hard work go to waste.

Oh well.
I'd like to try and make my own one day, but I'm not great at coming up with scenarios.

>> No.9602439

I'd like to do voices in a VN sometime. Perhaps a VN of a sexual nature even.

>> No.9602435

>>9602429
That's probably the saddest thing I've read in a long time.

I'm sorry to hear that

>> No.9602444

>>9602359
I think he gave up, I have seen any news from him in forever, and no one has mentioned anything new any time it's been brought up since then.

Shame, that.

>> No.9602446

>>9602435
Thank you for your sympathy. I was looking forward to a summer project too.
Maybe some other time.

>> No.9602454

>>9602393
Is that really how it works?
I guess that's why you see so many these days that only have the main route worth anything at all, while the rest are completely neglected.

>> No.9602455

>>9602359
>>9602444
He's been hanging out in /vg/, getting help from the amateur game dev threads and still being mocked for his coding.

>> No.9602461

>>9602455
Oh, so it's like an offboard thing now?

It'll probably suck then. And I had faith in him, too.

>> No.9602470

>>9602461
/vg/ is too close to /jp/ to be considered off board. It's like they're non-blood related step siblings.

>> No.9602475

Is there any reason not to use ren'py?

>> No.9602479

Now all you have to do is putting your ideas into actual work. Oh, you're too lazy for that? Too bad, you can sit in the same corner like all the other oh-so-creative lazy bastards with the same idea.

>> No.9602480

>>9602470
I don't know. If he stopped updating here, it's like he abandoned us. I can't give someone like that my support.

And with other people from some other board commenting on it, it'll be like a totally different project.

>> No.9602544

I did quite a bit of work on one about a year ago, even got one route done. I'd like to try again sometime when I get a good idea. However it's basically impossible to find people to do the art/music so that's a significant roadblock.

>> No.9602572

>>9602544
You could do a sound novel with stock art and no cost royalty free music

>> No.9602599

>>9602359
>>9602444
>>9602455
What VN are we talking about here?

>>9602470
Bullshit. /a/ is closer to /jp/ than /vg/ is. They're nothing like us, which is why I dislike /vg/'s VN discussion. Just because they have some overlapping subjects with /jp/ and many other boards doesn't mean they're not totally different.

>>9602544
Post stuff and ask for help. In the unlikely case your stuff is any good, you'll be able to get an artist and musician for your project. I'd be willing to make music for a VN project, but only if that project is any good (and my standards are kind of high).

>> No.9602612

I wrote the story last year, and I started learning how to draw in March to make my own sprites. I plan to finish by 2017.

I'm not being sarcastic. Drawing is really fucking difficult.

>> No.9602619

>>9602475
Two big reasons:
1. Hipsterness. It's by far the most popular engine in the West, which also means that 99% of the things produced with it are utter crap. In this case it actually has some merit, as you might make a bad first impression by association if you're using Ren'Py.
2. Difficulty to customize. As a rule of thumb, the easier a tool makes it for you to create specific things, the harder it is to do something that people don't often use the tool for. Ren'Py allows you to just write text, and with a bare minimum of commands it can be used as a visual novel. However, try to go beyond what LSFers do with Ren'Py (changing menus (beyond just the colors), starting the game without a menu, customizing all kinds of stuff) and you'll be fighting an uphill battle. (The same is true for all 'easy' software creation solutions; Game Maker and Unity are very powerful for basic things, but are often a huge pain if you want to do anything not explicitly supported.)

>> No.9602617

Music is no big deal, but good luck finding a competent artist to work for you.

Maybe you could find someone to do a couple of sprites reliably, since that is not a big deal, but backgrounds? Better get used to them photoshop filters. And event CG? Just forget about it from the start.

I'm primarily an artist, so that's not a problem for me.

As for music, decent amateur musicians are easier to find, and you can always use royalty free music - even if you dislike the idea of using random clips, you can always use stuff like classical music or old standards.

>> No.9602627

>>9602619
That's utter elitist bullshit, as both Ren'Py and Game Maker are viable and WAY easier to customize than writing an engine from scratch is.

Fuck off back to /g/, /prog/, or whatever else shithole you crawled out from.

>> No.9602629

>>9602599
>Just because they have some overlapping subjects with /jp/ and many other boards doesn't mean they're not totally different.
They also do Artifical Academy, Rance, and Violated Heroine. /vg/ is more like a whole ton of small boards than anything cohesive.

>> No.9602640

>>9602629
>/vg/ is more like a whole ton of small boards than anything cohesive.

Which is why I detest the "general threads" concept.

>> No.9602656

>>9602475
Why not use OnScripter?

This is not a troll

there's a LOT of onscripter VNs out there, all you have to do is extract the script and take a look at it to learn how it works. It's a lot easier if you've played the vn itself so know what you're looking at.

It's not as mainstream as ren'py, so using it makes me feel all warm & fuzzy.

>> No.9602661

>>9602627
>That's utter elitist bullshit, as both Ren'Py and Game Maker are viable and WAY easier to customize than writing an engine from scratch is.
I never said they were not viable. I think Katawa Shoujo fully proved that Ren'Py is on par with other VN engines, and Super Crate Box and Spelunky show that even classic games can be made in Game Maker.

You're also treating the situation as if 'writing everything from scratch' is the only alternative. For VNs there are also other engines, such as ONScripter and KiriKiri. For games there are countless engines and frameworks, ranging from 'doing everything for you' to 'giving you basic graphics functions'.

That said, whether writing something from scratch is easier than customizing depends on what you want to make and how different it is from what you're trying to use to make it. I've once ported a Unity game to XNA, which required me to do a lot of stuff myself, but it also gave me so much more control that I could make all kinds of tweaks to improve the game, and it allowed me to understand the game better internally, making fixing bugs much, much easier. There's no clear 'better' or 'worse'; it depends on the situation. There are situations where 'easy tools' are better, and there are situations where 'coding a whole bunch from scratch' is better.

>> No.9602675

I want a real theme song for a VN but where would you find a singer?I'm pretty sure I could produce a nice track but singing is not my thing.

>> No.9602686

>>9602675
Autotune that shit

>> No.9602692

Is there any reason NOT to steal music, backgrounds, etc.? It's not like I'm going to make any money off of my VN.

>> No.9602696

>>9602692
Artistic integrity.

>> No.9602700

>>9602692
> It's not like I'm going to make any money off of my VN.

Then don't but if you do something like this (commercial):

http://www.sakevisual.com/jisei/

Then it's best that everything be "original

>> No.9602713

>>9602335

> El Eternauta

mah nigga

>> No.9602715

>>9602696
I guess I'd rather have backgrounds and music than integrity. Should be fine if I give credit/sources.

>> No.9602727

>>9602715
Simply put, you're a hack of an artist if you don't even have the creativity to come up with an original solution to your problem. Even just filtering free photographs and using royalty-free music is better than stealing stuff, which looks really unprofessional and makes it seem as if you didn't actually put any serious effort into your work.

>> No.9602730

>>9602675
If I ever got to the point where I need a theme song I would get Miku-tan!

Connect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KAb2c7Z-Sk

Leia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIRJS2NPvUE

but she would probably want to be paid money that I don't have.

>> No.9602740

>>9602150
>why haven't you....

SHUT THE FUCK UP
I'm here to chew gum and enjoy my lifetime, and I'm aaal running out of lifetime
why the fuck would I waste time making a VN?

>> No.9602746

>>9602740
Because making a VN is a fun thing and fun things are fun.

>> No.9602772
File: 899 KB, 1200x900, 548172.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9602727
I-is it okay if l list the sources in the credits... Or am I still a hack...

>> No.9602780

>>9602772
If you get permission from the original creators.

>> No.9602786

>>9602150
Because besides music and art, I heard even fonts are copyrighted and I don't know where to get ones I can use for free

>> No.9602798

>>9602786
>>9602786
>fonts are copyrighted

What?

>> No.9602829

>>9602786
I've actually made a bunch for just this purpose.
Licensing them over per single work is pretty cheap too, if you're interested.

>> No.9602830

I always start and then after a while I go "this is chuuni shit isn't it" and delete it. Maybe one day I will cross over to the chuuni side and become the master of edgy.

>> No.9602859

>>9602798
Yup, it's true. If you want to use a font that is not installed on all end-user PCs and you therefore have to include it with your game or program or whatever, you generally have to pay insane amounts of money to legally do so, because fonts are copyrighted and you can't distribute them without permission.

The solution is to either use a font you know every end-user has (for example, the default Windows fonts if your game is Windows-only) or to use free fonts.

That said, fonts are in the 'nobody cares' category, so unless you make tons of money off of it, nobody will even notice. Artistically, nobody cares, and legally, they can't make a profit by suing you anyways.

>> No.9602860

I would love to work on a VN. My programming buddy and I were throwing around some ideas for a few months while he messed with RenPy, we were nearly about to start on a prototype but we kind of haven't talked about it and now he's having trouble paying his ISP. Damn shame, really.

>> No.9602874

>>9602830
There's nothing wrong with chuuni; many chuuni works are quite popular. Don't force yourself to avoid something hipsters dislike; instead, if all your writing is chuuni you're probably into chuuni, and should focus on trying to become awesome at chuuni writing.

>> No.9602878

The font will be comic-sans and the story be about a magical samurai who travel to japan who unlocks bankai. he mets his wife rookia n then day fuk.

>> No.9602884

>>9602878
Fund it.

>> No.9602888

>>9602860
I wish I had friends to at least discuss stuff like this with. Trying to work with people on /jp/ never works, but for people who are already friends, something might actually come out of it.

>> No.9602899

>>9602888
It's a good possibility. It's really fun to talk about, and even better if you manage to start something up, even if its an experiment. Sadly we never got that far.

>> No.9602904

I want to make a VN like Dog Days where you can take it easy and pet animal girls all day. Choices would involve which animal you pet, whether they should wear their hair braided or straight, and if you've think they've been a good girl.

>> No.9602902

>>9602878
When I finish my soon to be published chronicles of Ken Sama, I'll be sure to have it printed in comic-sans just for you.

>> No.9602920

>>9602904
Would it include the fun battles of Dog Day's? That's the best bit.

>> No.9602951

I want to make a strip club mangment game but I have no artistic or programming talent.

>> No.9602970

>>9602904
Sounds more like a Tamagotchi-like game than a VN. In VN form, it would quickly grow boring unless you have lots of varied slice-of-life stuff happening.

>> No.9602992

>>9602951
Just make it like one of those old whore managing games where you just clicked buttons and got stats for your whores and tried to make money each day.

>> No.9603000

>>9602150
I remember making a piss poor photoshop attempt on his face years ago. Those were the days.

>> No.9603047

Because if /jp/ made a dating sim half the characters would be Touhou, not that i would mind. Plus there is no point in 4chan making a VN unless it makes fun of cripples and the disabled

>> No.9603053

>>9602992
that's kind of the idea I guess. in addition to managing your staff you would also be able to change the layout of your club.

>> No.9603097

I honestly don't have the energy or concentration skills needed to make one but I can do almost all the work myself except program and even then there are user friendly programs.

Life is suffering....

>> No.9603114

>>9603097
You got an art sample? I've been writing and coding my VN, but have no art of my own. Perhaps we can work together.

>> No.9603130

>>9603047
never heard of a good touhou dating sim, that may be the idea.

>> No.9603131

I haven't started because I haven't found the right people yet.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jessicahagy/2012/07/17/the-6-people-you-need-in-your-corner/

>> No.9603155
File: 75 KB, 615x723, shit board.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9602629
/vg/ only has a cover of topics from other boards, but overall the board is a giant pile of shit.
At first, it looks like they're covering things that could be in /jp/, /v/, or /g/. But then you open the threads and it's a mix of /sp/ bro shit, /mu/ trips, and /b/ content.

Memes, reaction images, and you don't know who is talking with who. It's a complete mess.

>xxx -AN
>xxx -AN
>xxx -AN
>Where my xxx bros at?
>*pastebin*

Then it's a bunch of pic related. For every thread.
The only thing it has in common with /jp/ is that the board was created to get garbage out of a main board. Lucky /jp/ ended up good as opposed to /vg/ though.

>> No.9603166

>>9602661
Owned.

>> No.9603176

If I'm going to make a VN, I'll have to learn Japanese first, make my identity as the author completely anonymous, and pretend it's not foreign because I know most people wouldn't accept a VN made by a non-Japanese. And I'm looking at that issue in my own perspective, because even I refuse to read something like Katawa Shoujo because it's made by a bunch of weeaboo neckbeard quebecois and americans. Although maybe I'm just pissed off at the rampant viral marketing it got on 4chan and other video game-related sites when it was at its beta/preview phase.

I know C++ well enough to create really basic Win32 applications (COM), but I still to get the hang of DirectDraw (DirectX7.0). RenPy can go to hell since it doesn't support Windows 95/98/ME/2000, and fuck SDL (which RenPy is based on) since it doesn't support hardware acceleration for 2D graphics.

>> No.9603220

>>9603155
>Lucky /jp/ ended up good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

>> No.9603245

>>9603176
I'm also concerned about the OELVN label, because it's honestly like a stamp that guarantees a shitty game. But there's no real way to avoid the label so I guess it can't be helped. I actually do know Japanese but my prose is nowhere as good as it is in English.

>> No.9603250

>>9603245
>I'm also concerned about the OELVN label
I don't think you have to worry about that, your VN isn't ever going to be released anyway.

>> No.9603282

>>9603245
>>9603250
How is Zero Zigen labeled as? It's an interesting perspective, but I still find it odd. But then again script was in JP to begin with... they just simultaneously released their own TL, or something.

http://vndb.org/p924

>> No.9603285

I don't want any OELVN to get super popular because then every western game developer will be pushing realistic 3D VNs with shooting mini games and rape something pure.

>> No.9603309

>>9603155
Which style is that?

>> No.9603321

>>9603285
I don't want any [insert obscure genre] to get super popular because then every [insert mainstream] developer will be pushing [insert catering to audience] and rape [insert my hipster cred].

>> No.9603361

>>9603285
3D cel-shaded VNs with mini games doesn't sound so bad. It could revive the dating sim genre.

>> No.9603389 [DELETED] 

>>9603321

>> No.9603392
File: 102 KB, 351x589, hipsters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9603321

>> No.9604355
File: 56 KB, 775x1128, 1242849069932.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9603176
>Although maybe I'm just pissed off at the rampant viral marketing it got on 4chan and other video game-related sites when it was at its beta/preview phase.
No, you hate Katawa Shoujo because you've learned to hate it by repeating the same thing people say over and over again, because you joined after the fact and didn't know any better. Until the release of Act1, the only attention KS got was being mentioned as a vaporware project and an example of why 4chan projects will always fail. The release of Act1 came out of nowhere (to the point that people expected it to be a troll when it was first posted), surprised everyone by its quality (which was miles better than any other OELVN at the time), and immediately genuinely went viral. It became too popular for /jp/'s hipster tastes, allegiations of tons of viral marketing before the release of Act1 were made (despite the archive proving this completely wrong), and all newbies since then have simply mindlessly repeated this 'viral marketing' thing until the majority actually started believing it.

Also, there's a huge gap from being able to read eroge in Japanese and being able to write original fiction in Japanese, and as far as I know ONScripter is also compatible with earlier Windows versions.

>> No.9604372

>>9604355
>It became too popular for /jp/'s hipster tastes
Kinda sorta. Being spammed all over the boards and Moot renaming /jp/ into "Katawa shoujo" board which lead to /a/ and /v/ raid didn't help at all.

>> No.9604378

What happened to that idea of each girl personifying a music genre?

>> No.9604388

>>9603155
Starless got an anime?

>> No.9604391

>>9604388
Check it out.

>> No.9604395

>>9604355
I hate it because it's not a good game but get's praised all over 4chan as the greatest shit ever.

>> No.9604402

>>9604378
It never went anywhere beyond some ideas.

>>9604395
It's the natural reaction. Countless players are discovering the VN medium for the first time. These people have no point of comparison due to not having played any other VNs other than OELVNs, so in contrast with the only things they know (OELVNs and normal video game stories, mostly Western) KS is a masterpiece.

>> No.9604415

How do I create good plot twists?

>> No.9604417

>>9604402
>It's the natural reaction.
>so in contrast with the only things they know (OELVNs and normal video game stories, mostly Western) KS is a masterpiece.
You're like the plebeian version of Moogy. KS is shit.

>> No.9604418

>>9604415
Build expectations for event X, then instead have contradictory event Y happen. Basically, manipulate reader expectations so you can throw a 'twist' they don't expect.

>> No.9604448

>>9603245
>>9603176
I don't have any problem with VNs not being Japanese. I have a problem with them being made by untalented, budget-less groups who can't even write. At least in Japan, there are groups and companies with decent art, music, and a presentation that looks like they put actual effort into it. OELVNs don't have that yet, and worse they're derivative of the Japanese in general, making them a shitty copy of a shitty copy. I don't read the shit small VNs that come out at comiket or whatever either.

It's also worth noting that I don't hate KS. I don't want to play it though because it doesn't interest me and also I don't like Raita.

>> No.9604461

I was going to make one with a close friend of mine, but it really does take a lot of time and effort and hard work, especially for the artist.

>> No.9604465

I don't know anything about creating music. What program should I be using? I'd rather not use someone else's work, even if it's free.

>> No.9604477
File: 73 KB, 712x1024, Lafcadio_Hearn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Stop bringing gook shit to the West, nerds. We don't want it.

>> No.9604487
File: 148 KB, 1261x521, piano_roll-copy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9604465
FL Studio. It's pretty big and powerful so you'll need to read some tutorials, but the tl;dr is that you have different instrument tracks each with their own piano roll (or whatever is appropriate for the instrument/synthesizer).

>> No.9604489

>>9604465
FL Studio is considered easy to learn and powerful. However, be aware that everything you make will be shit for a very long time; it's a long learning process, and only after having practiced enough will you be able to make anything decent.

>> No.9604494

>>9602970
>>9602904

That's pretty much Wanko to Kurasou in a nutshell

>> No.9604504

>>9604415
It's like everything else - look at plot twists you've enjoyed before, and then think about what makes them good.

Contrast with plot twists that you didn't enjoy, and try to understand what made it so.

(While you're at it, be sure to take your emotional involvement in the work in question into account)

>> No.9604507

>>9604494
And Dog Days is animated Wanko to Kurasou

>> No.9604509

>>9604494
What they are describing is a little more like a dating/raising sim, though. At least, that's the impression I got.

Wanko to Kurasou was fun. It's exactly the kind of story nobody in the West could make because they'd have to do something deep or different. See: Christine Love.

>> No.9604510

>>9604494
Wanko to Kurasou was pretty meta, though.

>> No.9604522

The MC enrolls in college and develops friendships with strange women, such as a fat girl with no self-esteem, a mute but very bright autistic girl, a hyperactive VN enthusiast, a dendrophile, and a hot-blooded and self-rightious store clerk.

>> No.9604527

>>9604507

And the guy who wrote Wanko wrote Nanoha/Dog Days

It must hurt to love Kemonomimi that much.

>> No.9604528

>>9604522
sounds like kawa shitjo dude

>> No.9604531

>>9604522

Why is every OELVN made today just Awkward guy + Broken chicks?

>> No.9604532

>>9604528
Well I dunno

I haven't played it

>> No.9604547

>>9604531
Well I was also thinking of a space opera or something too.

>> No.9604615

>>9602675
I'm a pretty good singer. Check this out:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0RiWrb1WwmY

>> No.9604768
File: 310 KB, 1280x960, Moogyrockout.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm going to post a picture of Moogy every time you mention him.

>> No.9604771

>>9604531
Because people are uncreative plebs who can't even get past the first brainstorming stage. 99% of weeaboo ideas fall under:

1. Awkward Everyman + Alternative (fat, autistic, crippled, has a dick, etc.) girls who are beautiful inside so u cry evry tim
2. Every girl represents something IRL (virii, periodic elements, genres of music, historic figures, disabilities)
3. ...IN SPACE!

>> No.9604934
File: 31 KB, 1156x238, 1245619411584.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9604372
Remember when Moot hated us?

>> No.9604989
File: 478 KB, 800x600, 1276572262475.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9604771
>2. Every girl represents something IRL (virii, periodic elements, genres of music, historic figures, disabilities)

Don't talk shit about /jp/ traditions.

It's not like anyone ever made any of those anyway.

>> No.9604990

I always give up before making much progress. Judging from other people I have worked with, many others are the same. What's the point?

>> No.9604999

>>9604990
If you start out thinking "I'll give up" you'll give up every time.

>> No.9605013

>>9604999
I didn't. I started off with naive ambition, only to find out that making something from scratch is hard work. There is a lack of coordination and people start to leave as they get bored - morale drops, no one really gives a shit anymore and you feel like calling it quits.

>> No.9605019

>>9604771
>2. Every girl represents something IRL (virii, periodic elements, genres of music, historic figures, disabilities)
is it bad? even some japs do it. (for example Jungian archetypes in R11)

>> No.9605021

>>9604990
>What's the point?
To prove that you're not a lazy piece of shit quitter like 99% of all people.

>> No.9605028

>>9605021
You can't prove something that isn't true.

>> No.9605032

>>9605021
What if I am a lazy piece of shit quitter?

Though, I get your point. But I'm not ready the way I am right now. I think I'll hold off on the groupwork until I've written something of my own.

>> No.9605037

>>9605019
It's not inherently bad (like chuuni), but it's lazy and gimmicky. I've never played R11, but are they explicitly Jungian archetypes or do you have to look deeper into the game? For example, in KS, every girl obviously personifies their disability and you don't need more than a first glance to figure that out. It's a gimmick.

>> No.9605039

>>9605013
So... you tried once, got burned, and didn't try anymore? Now that you know what to expect you can go in with reasonable expectations.

>> No.9605046

>>9605037
>For example, in KS, every girl obviously personifies their disability and you don't need more than a first glance to figure that out

Uh, you know, I think KS is a piece of shit and all, but did you even read it? Because that's one thing they did right.

Well, other than Hanako.

>> No.9605045
File: 33 KB, 788x615, fuck you.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ALL RIGHT Y'ALL
Let's get together and make a 20 minute VN RIGHT NOW.
Who wants to do what? I'll draw some anime pictures. Here's a sample of my work

>> No.9605049

>>9605039
It happened a couple of times. Now I know better than to initiate/join projects only to cause harm by being half-assed about everything.

I will try again in the future, but not now.

>> No.9605052

>>9605049
Good luck in the future, anon.

>> No.9605060

If there's anyone working on a VN and in need of music, I might be able to help out.
Though, if you've got your doubts on whether it'll ever see daylight or not, don't bother. I've had my share of those.

Also, I haven't got time for a complete soundtrack.

>> No.9605063

>>9605052
Thank you...

>> No.9605071

>>9605046
I didn't read it. But what I meant was the characters are obviously "the deaf girl", "the burned girl", and so on. Other gimmicky VNs might have "oxygen girl", "carbon girl", and so on.

>> No.9605092

>>9605071
>I didn't read it
sasuga /jp/

>> No.9605102

>>9604771
>Because people are uncreative plebs who can't even get past the first brainstorming stage.
It's more like laziness. People focus completely on the concept and forget about the most important part: the work that has to go into the project. They want to come up with a good idea, and they want to see it finished, and everything inbetween is seen as obstacle. And since the idea defines everything for them, they have to find one that is instantly appealing. And since these are mostly normal people without any particular talent for creative thinking, their ideas are mostly the product of all the entertainment they have consumed in their lifetimes.

A good first step to take when making a galge is to avoid these people at all costs. Instead, find the small minority who don't see the development process as an obstacle, but as something inherently enjoyable. Only people like that will have the motivation to sit through the hours of work required to finish the project.

>> No.9605127

>>9605019
The difference here is that Remember11 also has a well thought-out storyline and setting, and that in Remember11 the characters aren't personifications of archetypes, but rather just liberally based on them; the actual archetypes are never mentioned in the game itself (only in the OP, scene titles, BGM titles and TIPs) and they would be interesting characters even without the archetype basis. Contrast the personification VN idea, where the fact that the heroines are personifications of X is the only draw.

---

Personally, I've decided not to start any more collaborative projects, as over time I have started multiple collaborative projects that have failed, partially due to bad leadership. I feel like I'm just wasting people's time and disappointing people by trying to start a collaborative project, and I don't want to bother people again.

>> No.9605502

>Why haven't you made a VN yet, /jp/?
Implying I haven't:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tmwaje2qj1f0j4v

>> No.9605698

>>9604615
reminds me of that alice margatroid comic

>> No.9606079
File: 276 KB, 1178x662, Untitled-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I once started making a railgun VN, but I gave up because I felt I would have to first read the novels or at least watch the Index anime to do it justice, and they're too awful to force myself through.

I think that making this sort of VN would be kind of nice for beginners, because it largely solves the problem of backgrounds and music. And partly sprites, though it still would need some work with vectors to make them look nice.

>> No.9606091
File: 113 KB, 639x696, 1283978770756.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9606079
Should have merged projects.

>> No.9606156

>>9606091
Hmm...how about...a VN you can run in a terminal with only ASCII Art?

>> No.9606184

>>9606079
i like your idea since i can't draw pretty girls or make music

>> No.9606223

i think i'll use this instead of renpy
http://www.visualnovelty.com/

>> No.9606228

>>9606223
There's really no need for this to exist. Why does it exist?

>> No.9606268

>>9605071
And about 90% of Japanese VNs have a cast that consists of tsundere, bokke, tsukkomi, imouto and/or moeblo, without any further expansion on those archetypes. How is this any more original? This is why gijinka, despite being lazy as hell, is seen as novel even there.

>> No.9606294

>>9606228
why not?

>> No.9606295

>>9606268
I didn't say they were more original. I also didn't say gijinka was bad. I didn't even say Japs don't do gijinka, because they do it a whole lot.
>It's not inherently bad (like chuuni), but it's lazy and gimmicky.

So I guess we agree here.

>> No.9606339
File: 116 KB, 1280x720, [Ayako]_To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index_II_-_17_[H264_1280x720][83BE11E9].mkv_snapshot_08.21_[2011.02.16_07.16.10].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9604771
why can't they be uncreative in a way where you can get away with it? why are there no oelvn about cyborg assassins and magic associations? everything is 2deep4u feel shit. is this what the western vn fanbase actually likes, or just what the hacks trying to make games think is good?

>>9606091
>ragged voice of an elderly lady

>> No.9606363

>>9606339
>everything is 2deep4u feel shit. is this what the western vn fanbase actually likes, or just what the hacks trying to make games think is good?

The western VN fanbase is pretty much populated by faggots with no friends, who feel the need to intellectually masturbate via 2deep4u grimdark shit because they are edgy as HELL and nobody understands them. ;_;

>> No.9606392

>>9606363
I still don't understand why people "intellectually masturbate" with jap media. It obviously does happen a lot. Why aren't they programming or studying mathematics or philosophy? That would actually be real deal.

>> No.9606400

>>9606091
That was actually my inspiration.

>> No.9606436

>>9606363

Once all of those faggots finally finish moving to homesuck and drown in grey body paint, maybe we'll see a better fanbase emerge.

>> No.9606440

Is there a decent, from the basics, learn by doing, guide/tutorial/whatever for FL studio? Or a book I could pirate?

>> No.9606446

>>9606440
No.

>> No.9606462 [SPOILER] 
File: 30 KB, 347x383, 1345415888604.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Making, not made.

>> No.9606465
File: 105 KB, 1083x394, Bildschirmfoto.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I looked up "Gijinka" on Wikipedia and this is what I've got. Small world, huh?

>> No.9606468

>>9606465
What
What the HELL is that

>> No.9606475

>>9606465
*adds to facebook wall*

>> No.9606493

>>9606465
Oh, god. It's actually been uploaded by this fucking guy. I should have known.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Benlisquare

>> No.9606496

>>9606465
Meido is so cute~

>> No.9606502

>>9606493
Ahahahahahhahahaha oh god this guy again.

>> No.9606509

>>9606446
Make one.

>> No.9606513

>>9606363
>faggots with no friends
but isn't that the same as moonland vn fans?

>> No.9606521

>>9606493
Is this for real.

>> No.9606525

>>9606493
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/4chan
He uploaded the new /jp/ theme to the /jp/ article. How nice of him ~

>> No.9606535

>>9602656
>It's not as mainstream as ren'py, so using it makes me feel all warm & fuzzy.
>It's not as mainstream as ren'py
the very definition of a hipster.

>> No.9606587

>>9605071
you can blame that jap guy who created them in his doujin for that. the guys who made ks didn't even create those characters, just used someone else's stuff.

>> No.9606668

>>9606339

I just arrived here, and....hmm..I see. I'm writing something and drawing some stuff, but.....then should I make it more light-themed? I hav eplaye dsome VNs, indeed, but I can't help but feel that the plots need some....gee, I don't know, less feels?

Just saying thought. No offenses at all, I'm a total hack at this

>> No.9606698

>>9606392
>Why aren't they programming or studying mathematics or philosophy?

Because that actually takes a bit of intelligence, unlike writing 2deep4u crawling in my skin VNs.

>> No.9606721

>>9606493
>Reporting shitposts on /jp/: >why is that Japanese bird cooking pasta?, etc etc

What a f*cking nerd.

>> No.9606895

>>9606668
...what?

Are you Uncle Mugen's disciple or something.

>> No.9607028

>>9606465
>>9606493
Frustrating. I'm a Wikipedia editor as well, but I can't do anything about it. His contributions are genuinely valid ones in accordance with Wikipedia's policies and I have no acceptable (for Wikipedia) reason to remove his additions.

Sorry, /jp/. I guess we should all leave now, since /jp/ has now become mainstream.

>> No.9607039

>>9607028
Well it's not like anyone cares. He does his job as a /jp/ user so that's fine for me. Not like anyone will pick interest for /jp/ just by browsing wikipedia.

>> No.9607255

>>9606392
What a coincidence for you to mention maths and philosophy. I studied maths and informatics for a couple of years. Long story short: too much work, so I switched to the much less lucrative field of philosophy. I just got my degree this june.
The thing is: I have a couple of ideas for a VN, but I'm afraid they would be considered too abstract by a vast majority of potential readers. That, and the fact that English is not my native tonge (and sadly most Spanish readers are nothing but rednecks) deters me from making a serious effort to write those ideas down. I'll give you a brief summary, /jp/. Tell me your honest opinions.

The central idea is heavily based in Schoppenhauer's "the World as Will and Representation". It's an epic history about a world where there is magic, but the aproach to that field is not in the ways of an Art, but of a Science. Almost everyone is proficient in it's use to some extent, and people unable to use it are regarded as less-than-human. The story features an Arcane Empire with a 100.000+ years history that approaches a prophetised end, and the desperate efforts of the MC and his friends to prevent the impending cataclysm. I intend to merge the possibilities of the VN format (mostly its capability to generate emotional links with the characters) with all the intellectual goodies western philosophy has to offer.

>> No.9607266

>>9607255
You need to read some fiction bro, because this is so hilariously unimaginative I don't even know where to start.

>> No.9607297

>>9607255
Have you ever played Chrono Trigger? Since that sounds exactly like the Kingdom of Zeal. Chrono Trigger is about time travel, and when they travel to 12,000 B.C. they discover that humanity is split into two groups - people who cannot use magic living on Earth (known as the Earthbound) and magic-users living in the floating magical kingdom of Zeal, which is far ahead of its time. They draw energy from the hibernating final villain Lavos, who will inevitably one day wake up and destroy the entire kingdom (and that is exactly what happens at the end of the Zeal arc). (The main goal of the protagonists is to prevent Lavos from doing the same to the entire world when he fully wakes up in 1999 A.D.)

>> No.9607305

>>9607266
Oh well, it's not a paradigm-shifting plot, I admit. But I am a big fan of the epic genre, and of course that summary was dumbed down a little, just in case. I just don't feel like wasting a lot of hours writing an unepic story. Anything less than saving the multiverse feels empty.

>> No.9607323

>a world where there is magic, but the aproach to that field is not in the ways of an Art, but of a Science. Almost everyone is proficient in it's use to some extent, and people unable to use it are regarded as less-than-human. The story features an Arcane Empire with a 100.000+ years history that approaches a prophetised end, and the desperate efforts of the MC and his friends to prevent the impending cataclysm

Sounds like Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Strikers.

At least the plot they fed you before ultimately nothing happened.

>> No.9607330

>>9607297
No, I haven't but sounds interesting, I'll put in my to-do list. That is also one of the things that prevent me from actually writing anything: all the good ideas are explored to some extent. Heck, I read Steins;Gate the last month and I though "oh well, there goes another 15% of my plot".

>> No.9607403

>>9606462 ripping off, not creating

>> No.9607408

But I am,. but it's been in a state of obscurity for over a year.

Maybe I should start viraling it just to get people to look at it.

>> No.9607467

HOW MANY OF YOU "I HAVE A GREAT IDEA" FAGS ARE FROM THE SAME IRC CHANNEL

DON'T MAKE ME NAME IT

>> No.9607475

>>9607467
That channel is still alive? Hows the project about the magic box going?

>> No.9607513

Why haven't you made a MUD yet, /jp/?

>> No.9607514

>>9607475
no, the OTHER "i know everything" oelvn channel, the one that quoted parts of this thread earlier and pointed me to it

>> No.9607634

>>9607514
Fuck you and your gimpy IRC circlejerks.

>> No.9607631

>>9607514
We might be talking about different channels... are any of the regulars from 6-7 months ago still left? I got really busy with my job and had to stop lurking.

>> No.9607637

OEL is just such an awful and embarrassing term.
Languages or regions aren't specific to media.

Just like you don't say OJL for everything developed by Japanese.
The only reason OEL is even in use is because some sad manga publisher wanted to sell some non-Japanese stuff without scaring away their precious weeaboos with English words such as "comic book" or "graphic novel" while at the same time attempt to cash in on those that goes crazy and buys everything labled with Japanese words such as "manga".

OEL is nothing but a redundant term coined for the sole purpose of cashing in on helpless weeaboos. It's almost beyond me how that term have managed to stick and root itself into actual use.

>> No.9607678
File: 59 KB, 1558x816, WHAT DID I JUST DO.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE

>> No.9607780

>>9607678

How the hell are you going to make the CGs, turbobaka

>> No.9607840

>>9607678
Mind telling me how this thing works? I'd love to try doing something like that.

>> No.9607873

>>9607305
Making an epic fantasy can be tough because it seems to be the one genre that "everyone's done". But it makes it all the more artistically impressive and engaging if you can actually make a really original fantasy epic. If you really have the drive to make one, more power to ya.

But please, for the love of god, no fucking "prophecies". That is nearly as bad as "an ancient evil has awakened", not even kidding. Hell if I was going for a comical fantasy setting I'd make it so the MC and his party had to kill all the prophets just so they can catch a break from world saving.

And this applies to any fantasy writer who happens to be reading this. Prophecies are one of the worst fantasy cliches.

>> No.9607878

>>9607678
goddamn you better be working hard on that I want to fap to some sexy ascii lolis

>> No.9607880

>>9607780
asciigs.

>> No.9607949
File: 4 KB, 128x308, colors.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9607840
>>9607878
I'm going to sleep now, might continue working on it tomorrow. If anyone's interested, source code (plus executable file): http://www.mediafire.com/?6mdvtzhzs2d3ghg
It only has support for regular text and backgrounds so far. (No name tags, character sprites, mid-sentence keywaits, etc.) You can do stuff with it by creating a script.txt (or editing the existing one); look at the existing one and it should be pretty self-explanatory (except for the colors, the format for that is 'x, y, color', see image for colors; it continues writing in that color from left to right, top to bottom until it hits another color change). No user-friendly way of coloring images yet, so it'll have to be done manually.

>> No.9608201

>>9607873
Cliches aren't automatically bad, you know.

>> No.9608222

>>9608201
I wasn't saying they were. I was saying that particular one would require ridiculous amounts of effort to make a good story including it.

>> No.9608290

I like how this is actually a more intelligent conversation than you'd get in the /vg/ OELVN general.

Too bad Moot doesn't care and won't make /vn/.

>> No.9608301 [DELETED] 

I have many half-assed ideas. I just have no motivation to write.

>> No.9608325

>>9607949
Do you mind if I play around with this for a little bit? I mean, it's your idea and you probably don't want others to steal it.

>> No.9608357

>>9608290
Can't expect good from a bad crowd.

>>9608325
Considering he posted it, he would probably be glad if it was used.

>> No.9608375
File: 20 KB, 530x536, asuka.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What if it's malware?

Anyway to tell? I ran the .exe and now I'm worried.

>> No.9608384

>>9608375
You must not have been posting here long to still have that "all anons are out to get me" mentality.

>> No.9608419

>>9608384
What if...

What if I go to bed thinking it's safe, then move on with my life and continue posting on /jp/ as usual.

One day, I wake up, and I see a thread that is about to start autosaging on the front page. With my photo in the OP. It turns out, anon installed a keylogger on my computer and has been watching me for the past 6 months. There's a huge list floating around with a list of all my post numbers. He also got my all my emails and uploaded the most embarrassing ones to a pastebin.

Later on, someone makes a wiki about me, describing my personal life in excruciating detail.

...no, sorry. I just can't do this. tomorrow or the day after I'm going to reformat my computer, just in case. Until then I'm going to stay clear of anything that requires a password.

>> No.9608437

>>9608375
Easy solution, just compile the source code and compare the MD5 sums of the exe you get and the exe included. If they're the same you have nothing to worry about.

>> No.9608446

>>9608419
Better safe than sorry, I guess...

>> No.9608481
File: 11 KB, 633x227, textvn checksums.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9608437
Here, I did it for you and it looks like you have nothing to worry about since there is nothing malicious in the code.

>> No.9608536

>>9608419
I always post with the assumption that I have a keylogger installed.

Yeah, that's right motherfuckers, I'm on to you.

>> No.9608824

>>9608419
Shit, he already knows about it.

>> No.9608981

>>9608222
or you could use it as a red herring.

start off with a prophecy and mention it few times throughout the game, but make the story go in a completely different direction, so that people who get into it thinking "oh, i know, i'll be fighting this thing from the prophecy now!" or "it's about to start now!" and beat the game realize they got trolled by the game.

>> No.9609085

>>9608981
You can use it as a red herring, you can play around with it in many ways.

>Tropes are not clichés.
People might say ``lel le TVTropes le rustle the jimmies" but for a writer, knowing how to play around with something that may be considered cliché is essential. It also, in turn, helps you avoid them. TVTropes can be a dumb writer's entry guide to not screwing up and a database for things that "have already been done", at the very least.

>> No.9609098 [DELETED] 

>>9609085
who u quoting tho

>> No.9609116

>>9609098
ya mam lel

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreNotCliches

>> No.9609283

>>9607873
>>9608201
>>9608222
>>9608981
>>9609085
As I stated previously it's a very simplified explanation and the "prophetysed cataclism" has little more to it that the standard settings (even though tropes are not necessarily clichés, as that kind anon pointed before). For example, if you compare Steins;Gate with the 2002 film Time Machine, you'll find more similarities plot-wise than the mere use time leaping devices (he couldn't save the girl), but I liked the latter one better. Also, there are some similarities between A Song of Ice and Fire and Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, but nonetheless George R. R. Martin's series are remarkably good.

Since I am grateful for all the feedback I'll share a little more: there are different "houses" of sorcery, each one with a varying degree of influence over reality, based in its fundamental concept. The scale is big, as the mentioned Empire rules over thousands of worlds (the player would delve into the galactic polithics and might stumble upon some buried, dark secrets). It is also a tale about the clash between the aspirations of those who are human, and therefore finite, and the absolute purposes of entities whose nature is eternal. Oh, and also TWISTS.

>> No.9609305

>>9609283
Sorry, typos:
>has little more to it that
"has a little more to it than"

>> No.9609343

>>9608325
No, I don't mind other people "stealing" my ideas at all. If people "steal" my ideas, there's at least a chance of something being done with them.

>> No.9609362

>>9602150
Because /jp/ would have to end after they realise they can't do anything better than Katawa Shoujo.

>> No.9609386

>>9609362
I'm smart enough to realize it before I even begin.

>> No.9609904

God, getting used to VN writing is kinda annoying coming from comics.

I did some stuff before that was basically the same structure as your run of the mill moege, and it was no biggie.

But I was writing something slightly more offbeat, and I decided to storyboard using quickly sketched backgrounds.

I ended up using like 4 backgrounds in the span of 30 seconds of playtime.

Now, if I were to write a longer project, this wouldn't be an issue, I would just reduce it to single general one and it would be fine. But for a really really short thing it just feels cheap.

>> No.9609924
File: 39 KB, 251x251, 94387.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why a "VN"? Westerners already made games like VNs for decades. They're called adventure games. Visual novels are a Japanese form that grew widely thanks to Japanese hardware conditions. Now in the past 10 years they've gotten a bit popular here and suddenly every half assed fanfic writer wants to "make a VN".

You are literally weeaboos. It's like an American fiction writer suddenly deciding to write haiku and kabuki plays. Sure you technically can, but it's gay as fuck to try

>> No.9609945

>>9609924
pity reply

>> No.9609953

>>9609924
Funny how Mistery house is older than thousands of VNs and it works basically like a VN.

>> No.9609981

>>9609924
I have no idea what you're trying to say.

>> No.9609985

>>9609362 they can't do anything better than Katawa Shoujo

Good thing I'm not from here, then. The medium is understandable without that much cultural background, it's a matter of grasping the mechanics and reader expectations and most of those are not complicated.

The execution is where it becomes a clusterfuck and that's in part because it may be the only medium left without a Dummies guide to working in it.

And frankly, it's better that way.

>> No.9609987

>>9609924
Adventure games don't have moe.

>> No.9609997

>>9609987
Or porn.

>> No.9610018
File: 191 KB, 256x316, Leisure_Suit_Larry_V.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9609997

>> No.9610084

>>9604395
tha just means you have bad taste

>god this game sucks
>why is everyone talking about this game like its the best shit sense lynching, i hated it
>stop liking what i dont like
>why is everyone so blind, this game is obviously terrible, why cant they see that?

die in a hole

>> No.9610098

>>9604402
if its good enough to get that kind of reaction it counts an above average vn, and there are plenty of people who play ks that are experienced with vns

>> No.9610101

>>9609981
I think you are retarded then.

>> No.9610107

>>9610098
Get out KS Dev.
>TFW you will never your waifu again LEL

>> No.9610111

Well, as much as i hate some of the KS writers, gotta give them credit for releasing something of that level for free.
They'd get much more hatred than they get if their game were commercial, that's for sure.

>> No.9610154
File: 18 KB, 665x481, textVN.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Man, I really do suck at ASCII art.

Anyways, update.
http://www.mediafire.com/?w45sgm5xuds57x2
-Sprites can now be used. Commands are 'sprite <number>,<x>,<y>,<name>' (don't use spaces between commas), 'sprite <number>,<name>' (only if a sprite with that number already exists), 'clearsprites' and 'removesprite <number>'.
-Text wrapping (no word wrapping).
-Speaker tags. Use this format: '`Speaker|Dialogue.\'.
-Before reading script.txt, it now loads everything in the /data/ folder if it exists. This can be used for loading sprites and stuff.
-It's now officially public domain, do whatever you want with it.

I think I've had my fun with it now; it works, but is not really useful enough to expand on. Source code is in the above link and is public domain, so if you want to do more with it feel free to do so.

>> No.9610157

because the only audience i care about enough to make a VN for is /jp/ circa 2009-2011, and they're dead.

>> No.9610199

>>9610154
Is there anything you don't suck at?

>> No.9610213

>>9610154
Is that a loli?

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a strong test build user ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no stable channel ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

>> No.9610302

>>9604509 something deep or different. See: Christine Love.

There is nothing deep about Chris Love.

>> No.9610311

>>9610154
Why C#?

>> No.9610322

>>9610154
>>9610311
And your builds require .NET Framework 4.0. I'd downgrade to VS2003 so that your projects are compatible with more computers, as Windows XP only comes preinstalled with .NET 1.1. I doubt you need any of the newer .NET features.

>> No.9610605

>>9610311
Because I love the language. It's powerful, easy and quick to write. My only real complaint with it is that it isn't very portable by default, but Mono largely fixes that (though things like XNA still remain Windows/Xbox-only).

>>9610322
I think most computers owned by people who do more than check their e-mail in Outlook will probably have .NET 4 by now. For non-Windows users, it should work in Mono as well.

>> No.9610820

>>9610605
You say that you love C# and talk about how fine Mono is? How much do they pay you?

>> No.9610855

But I have made a VN.
http://www.mediafire.com/?a1gdh0jzpmmf2mk

>> No.9610875

>>9610855
You never finished that VN, did you?

>>9610820
Well, I'm a game dev, so pretty much the only thing I need C# for on non-Windows platforms is for servers and basic tools, and both work fine under Mono. I'm sure there are things Mono is terrible for, but it does the things I need it for perfectly fine.

>> No.9610880

Because I'm afraid that if one of my works is very popular, the next ones won't be as good as that one. It'd be like how Arthur Conan Doyle was stressed on making Holmes stories because his publishers always desired more!

>> No.9610900

>>9610880
Conan Doyle also believed in fairies.

>> No.9610911

>>9609924
adventure games are nothing like VNs
you don't even read them, idiot

>> No.9610913

>>9610880
You could say that the Video game industry is following the book industry because of rushing content out that isn't ready.

>> No.9610921

>>9610855
Holy fuck, you're still here? I played that when it first came out and it was so fucked up. How many people helped make that?

>> No.9610922

>>9610911
Adventure Games? Holmes are books/Literature, which are what VNs are.

>> No.9610928

>>9610921
It's not really mine but I kept the archive. IIRC the policy was if anyone uploaded fanart to the forum they found a way to put it in the VN.

>> No.9610929

>>9610922
that's what I said?

>> No.9610942

>>9610928
Yeah, I actually remember that thread, now that you've reminded me...

>> No.9611107

>>9610929
I apologize for my rudeness!

>> No.9612659

Bump。

>> No.9612697
File: 178 KB, 1280x720, hello hitler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9605502
heh

>> No.9613070

Bump.

>> No.9616041

>Why haven't you made a VN yet, /jp/?
because i cant write for shit, and i like making music better

>> No.9620548

>>9616041
>because i cant write for shit
That's not stopping most OELVN writers.

>> No.9620579

>>9605502
Derek pls

>> No.9620833
File: 60 KB, 1064x720, I should really take a new screenshot eventually.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Because I'm going for a more open-world experience, sort of like a roguelike.

>> No.9620857 [DELETED] 

>>9602480

The last few times I posted here, meido deleted my stuff.

Also, if I post here, then it seems more serious since I have to create a new topic, whereas over there I just post in the one topic. (I only go there for AGDG)

>>9602359
>>9602444

I was mostly just busy with life. I wish I were a NEET again so I could work on it more often. Sorry.

>>9602599
>>9602455
>>9602461
>>9602470

Yeah. A lot of the people there don't like lolis. It's kind of depressing, but at the same time, it is amateur game development that I'm doing, which, at least in some janitors' eyes, isn't /jp/-related, regardless of lolis.

I feel bad for not posting on here, but I wanted to get a significant release before posting again, but life got in the way of development progress.

>> No.9620859
File: 3 KB, 240x240, totally a real girl.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9602480

The last few times I posted here, meido deleted my stuff.

Also, if I post here, then it seems more serious since I have to create a new topic, whereas over there I just post in the one topic. (I only go there for AGDG)

>>9602359
>>9602444

I was mostly just busy with life. I wish I were a NEET again so I could work on it more often. Sorry.

>>9602599
>>9602455
>>9602461
>>9602470

Yeah. A lot of the people there don't like lolis. It's kind of depressing, but at the same time, it is amateur game development that I'm doing, which, at least in some janitors' eyes, isn't /jp/-related, regardless of lolis.

I feel bad for not posting on here, but I wanted to get a significant release before posting again, but life got in the way of development progress.

>>9620833

>> No.9620872

I think turning either Breakfast Club or an Agatha Christie story into a VN would be pretty nice.

Also, do we have any composers in here?

>> No.9621207

>>9620833
>Anus 112%

>> No.9622813

>>9620872
We do. Decent composers willing to work on a /jp/ VN project is a different matter altogether, though.

>> No.9622982

I got lazy and just did a LN series instead.

>> No.9623032

>>9620859
It's okay then lolidev, I'll forgive you, this time.

If our worthless janitor thinks what you're doing is less on topic than /v/ generals and blog and roleplaying threads, then it's time to write more angry letters to moot.

>> No.9623269

How about the main character goes through some labyrinth type shit. Id read that

>> No.9623312
File: 212 KB, 902x684, touhouprincessmaker1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was working on making my own VN engine from scratch and then got fed up having to spend chunks of my time on utility libraries and writing my own GUI engine and script engine and graphics engine and so on.

Plus nobody seemed interested and were more interested in some vapor wares that never got out of the planning and hype stages.

>> No.9623968

>>9623032

We got a new meido recently though, didn't we? Maybe the new meido will not mind threads about it.

>> No.9624005

>>9623032
It's been a long time since this loli game was posted, man.

>> No.9624457
File: 5 KB, 255x192, 3D.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Some kind anon might be helping me though. He did this.

>> No.9624491

All right. I'll begin tomorrow. No, you know what? I'll start right now. I'm going to grab the latest version of Ren'Py (because that's the best resource I know of), and I'm going to start writing. I'll probably give up at times and sink back into inactivity, but I figure the sooner the better. Fuck it.

>> No.9624515

A VN with good characters, nice art and a semi-serious romantic setting. Wouldn't that be nice?

>> No.9624524

>>9624515
>semi-serious romantic setting
I'd rather just write nukige.

>> No.9624556

>>9624515
They aren't exactly in short supply

>> No.9624867

>>9624556
Yet to find a particularly decent one.

>> No.9624895

Why not fanfiction?
Or adaptation?

>> No.9625775

>>9624867

keep looking

>> No.9625930
File: 283 KB, 806x632, simgame06.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was working in some sort of rising sim, but I stopped for a while because I need to do other stuff so I can eat... I want to make a lot of endings and cute clothes but I think I'm being too ambitious

>> No.9626175

>>9624515
I wouldn't mind doing some music for a VN like that.

>> No.9627160

>>9626175
Not him, but I've got a high school humor/romance VN going on. I've written 10k words so far, and I can do all the programming. Interested in helping out with the music?

>> No.9627160,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>9604768
is that really moogy ? the founder of tlwiki ?

>> No.9627160,2 [INTERNAL] 

>>9627160,1
yes

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action