[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 12 KB, 200x195, ne-travaillez-jamais.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9550290 No.9550290 [Reply] [Original]

Have you guys ever heard any sort of connection between NEET and other counter-culture movements? I understand that NEET(ism?) might to be classified as a movement, but it's connection to other counter culture concepts is kind of interesting.

The only real thing I knew about previously was a piece of graffiti by Guy Debord that reads "Never Work". Guy Debord was the founder of Situationist International.

I read Lipstick Traces back when I was in college and was kind of interested in some sort of connection between these sort of things. I was a little interested in possibly doing some reading or research in the general direction of connecting actual behavior of youth with radical thought, so if anyone has anything to contribute that would be great.

>> No.9550292

*might not be classified as a movement

>> No.9550305

NEET's who collect autismbux to get can be counted as counter-culture I guess. It's like a big fuck you to other people working and the government.

>> No.9550373

there is no movement your fool neet is "not in education, employment, or training" nothing more

>> No.9550385

>>9550290
'Lipstick Traces' was great. I read it in high school and it really helped me understand the art and music I was obsessed with at the time.

If you've read it, then I'll take it for granted that you're familiar with the way pop culture tends to reflect the impetus behind the collective disenfranchisement of individuals living in the patriarchal status quo. I think Lipstick Traces starts with dadaism and works its way forward. NEETs and hikikomori are the penultimate examples of a complete rejection of societal norms. They have ceased to function the way the rest of the world does. They are opting out of almost everything that we are told we must embrace. Disaffection doesn't even begin to cover it.
Whereas the punk rock ethos used to seem an extreme embodiment of these sentiments, it is now tame by comparison to a group of individual who don't bother to seek out like-minded individuals, belong to no scene, and do not engage in any social behaviors, which the punks were most certainly guilty of. Growing up as a punk, I can tell you first hand that punks shared the same adolescent paranoia about fitting in that any average teenager does. They just didn't want to fit in with the straights. The same cannot be said for NEETs/hikikomori, who have distanced themselves even further, having few if any social relationships beyond those that exist electronically or in the 2D mindscape altogether.

>> No.9550601

>>9550385
Yeah it's a full on rejection. Especially when you look at the whole 2d phenomenon. Well I'm glad I at least got one reply out of this thread.

It's almost like a peaceful protest. Rather than engaging in destructive nihilism/anarchy they've opted into non-participation. Granted you could as easily say they're just freeloading off their parents.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action