[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 339 KB, 868x1227, garden of the sun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9409051 No.9409051 [Reply] [Original]

Apparently there are people who don't believe this summer cup thing is a scam. Again, I won’t tell you who I am but I will tell you how I got myself involved and how I ultimately left the project.

Back when /a/ won the first cup, last year, barrelroll gave his steamed to everyone still around the livestream after the tournament final was over. I waited until the spamming and the general interest of everyone faded and, a couple of weeks later, I added him to my steam friends list.

He asked me which were my “home” boards and I replied /a/ and /v/ (not anymore, though) and /jp/. This seemingly had a great impact on him, because he immediately started asking me a load of questions, like if I knew Japanese, what anime did I watch, if I played touhou, if I could beat it in the hardest difficulty, who was my waifu… The kind of questions I’d expect from someone who doesn’t know much about /jp/. The alarms only started going off when he made statements like having a lot of respect for /jp/ anons because they are the oldfags among oldfags, or that he had only found out about 4chan recently, a couple of months earlier, through reddit and tumblr, or what memes were common in /jp/ because encyclopediadramatica didn’t have much info about them. Still, that only lead me to believe even more he really needed help with the project.

Back then there was indeed no ad revenue coming from livestream. That changed gradually as more people joined the project and skype and irc conversations took place. Personally, I didn’t have a mic so I only chatted through IRC and I regret not having saved those conversations. They would’ve been quite the eye-opener.

>> No.9409054
File: 652 KB, 1800x1000, misty lake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9409051
At first there was no real interest in making money from the event. Things quickly changed once most of the people involved started doing their math, realizing those measly cents they get from one viewer, when multiplied by hundreds, over the course of several hours, would land them a small fortune. Immediately they started convincing barrelroll of what such a great idea that would be. I brought up that that would be illegal, which they laughed off as a non-issue because all they had to do to avoid it was lying.

I really don’t know why I didn’t just get along with it. I could’ve money a couple hundred dollars, maybe even a thousand if barrel was generous, but I didn’t. I guess I just didn’t want to exploit people. That I thought 4chan was better than that, that it didn’t deserve it. As /sp/ or /r9k/ would so cleverly put it, I am a total beta.

The last conversation I took part in was all about how they could get the most amount of viewers. This was when I learned the hard way that ironic shitposting is still shitposting, because I remember rather well that I said something to the likes of “just spamm them xDDD”. To which they all agreed it was a genius idea. They also came to the conclusion they would be adding a lot more boards to the competition, obviously so they could get more and more viewers. At that moment I was so sickened I started talking shit. Yeah, let’s do that. Let’s spam all the boards, let’s meme spout so much a ninth-grader would be jealous. Let’s act like total retards because so as long as it’s not revealed a big chunk of the collaborative team came straight from reddit, it’s awwight! We want to make money, right? Fuck quality.

>> No.9409058
File: 977 KB, 1500x666, youkai mountain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9409054
At that moment there was silence in the chatroom. They were obviously talking amongst themselves over skype. I don’t know what they said, but I remember that, as I was typing “I take it you’re chatting in skype.” There was a huge flood of U MAD? LOL LOOK AT THIS NERD, WHAT AN AUTIST! BETA AS FUCK! And other such mindless drivel. That was when I was banned from the chatroom, with the reason “mad autist”.

So there you have it. You have my side of the story. Unfortunately, I have as little proof that what they’re doing is illegal as barrelroll has proof he’s not exploiting 4chan. And yes, I did write that e-mail to moot. No, I didn’t post about it more than once. I don’t know if you care about any of this or not. I just saw my e-mail plastered on one of the funny meme magazines with the headline “autist” and I felt nostalgic enough to write this huge essay.

>> No.9409078

Would you do the same thing today? You're losing out some cash if your story really is true.

>> No.9409080

Nobody here gives a shit about the Summer Cup anyway, unless they're whining about how it's shit.

>> No.9409079

>>9409078
Honestly, I don't know. I still don't like the idea of exploiting 4chan and it's not like I'm in a bad situation financially. But seeing as no-one else really cares, that makes me want to do it.

>> No.9409087

I still have no idea what the fuck the summer cup is, and don't care

>> No.9409090

>>9409080
Yeah, I noticed. I just don't want /jp/ to think the scam thing are the ramblings of a "/jp/er butthurt that they didn't win". Though I'm sure /jp/ will end up winning the cup because only a someone with real mental retardation wouldn't realize how "epic for the lukz" it would be if the only board that doesn't care about any of this "wins" the cup.

>> No.9409094

Thank you for taking the time into writing this, but I think you're taking this way too seriously. It's stupid shit made for idiots. If there's something you should be vexed over it's the fact that you threw away your chance at some money, but it would probably be more of a job (judging by your description of them) dealing with those retards.

>>9409087
It's a live stream where they make custom CPU teams based on each board and stage them against each other in a tournament format in a football simulator game.

>> No.9409117
File: 64 KB, 419x296, ohayo ran.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9409094
>Thank you for taking the time into writing this, but I think you're taking this way too seriously.

You're absolutely right. I guess the time when people actually cared to make this site as clean as possible is long gone. Though, again, I just wanted /jp/ to know.

I'll go take it easy now.

>> No.9409130

>>9409058
There are "Meme magazines"? This sickens me.

Would you care to share a copy of the email, I'm curious about it.

>> No.9409152

>>9409130
>There are "Meme magazines"?

It's just headlines. I found it while lurking the /sp/ cup thread right here on /jp/.

>Would you care to share a copy of the email, I'm curious about it.

It's nothing much. Just type "to: moot@4chan.org" in warosu and you'll get a ton of spam with it. I got some facts wrong, apparently. Barrelroll is no longer (or never was) in portugal, but we did chat a lot about that, because he was going there on Erasmus for his economy course. Or maybe it was marketing. I don't remember exactly. Also it's not pro evolution soccer 4, it's 2012 or whatever version they're using. My mind is stuck in the time pro evo 4 came out.

>> No.9409156

Thanks for doing this.

>> No.9409280

>>9409051
>gave his steam ID

>>9409054
>I could've made a couple hundred dollars

>> No.9409594

Could you explain to me how they would have made that money off the channers?
Forgive me for being a retard, please.

>> No.9409772

>>9409594
Not OP but

http://www.livestream.com/userguide/index.php?title=Premium_Account_Management#Advertising

You can tell they have a premium channel because their channel views are way over 50, which is the limit for free users.

>> No.9409814

>>9409772
>Advertising
That's what I thought.
So they're not really taking any money from them, just forcing them to look at ads. While I can see how that may be not entirely ethical under certain conditions, I fail to see how you should feel bad just because a couple of /b/tards saw some banners.

>> No.9410867

They provide entertainment and they get money from ads. I think that's completely legal and normal like a TV show. If their entertainment sucks, people will stop watching it. If it's good, they deserve the money. So the point is they're using viral marketing which is shitposting on 4chan to get more viewers. And you hate them instead of us because they shitpost for money while we're shitposting for our own entertainment. I don't think that's a big problem either. But if they can get a couple of thousand bucks from shitposting, i'm quite amused.

>> No.9412066

Boring ass game about football with le memews>shitpost>more people come watch your game>shitpost more>more people come to watch your game>earn money for people watching your game>shitpost>people watch your game

Epic.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action