[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 24 KB, 320x240, ht_aspergers_080306_mn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9386591 No.9386591 [Reply] [Original]

Autism - and its milder cousin Asperger's syndrome - is surging among the children of Silicon Valley. Are math-and-tech genes to blame?

By Steve Silberman

Nick is building a universe on his computer. He's already mapped out his first planet: an anvil-shaped world called Denthaim that is home to gnomes and gods, along with a three-gendered race known as kiman. As he tells me about his universe, Nick looks up at the ceiling, humming fragments of a melody over and over. "I'm thinking of making magic a form of quantum physics, but I haven't decided yet, actually," he explains. The music of his speech is pitched high, alternately poetic and pedantic - as if the soul of an Oxford don has been awkwardly reincarnated in the body of a chubby, rosy-cheeked boy from Silicon Valley. Nick is 11 years old.

Nick's father is a software engineer, and his mother is a computer programmer. They've known that Nick was an unusual child for a long time. He's infatuated with fantasy novels, but he has a hard time reading people. Clearly bright and imaginative, he has no friends his own age. His inability to pick up on hidden agendas makes him easy prey to certain cruelties, as when some kids paid him a few dollars to wear a ridiculous outfit to school.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers_pr.html

Is this you, /jp/?

>> No.9386597
File: 1.52 MB, 160x120, 1340933651665.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9386591
>kids paid him a few dollars to wear a ridiculous outfit to school.

>> No.9386599

>>9386591
why are you posting ancient articles?

>> No.9387020

people who are autistic tend to be techies, its not like thats a big surprise

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action