[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 88 KB, 657x492, 1323325536274.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9344921 No.9344921[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

When did you stop having a positive mental attitude/jp/?

>> No.9344932
File: 105 KB, 610x475, 1339503636443.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I never had one. I had a pretty shitty childhood.

>> No.9344930

When I was about eight years old. I remember thinking about killing myself when I was nine or ten.

>> No.9344934

I never did!

>> No.9344936

So dark and edgy

>> No.9344943

Whenever I go outside

>> No.9344953

When I was about 13 and realized how shitty and unfair the world is.
Then someday I decides that it couldn't be helped and started taking it easy.
Ever since finding /jp/ I fully regained my positive attitude

>> No.9344957

>>9344953
What happened to you at 13, go on anon, we will listen.

>> No.9344960

Actually, the older I become, the happier I become. When I was a teenager I was depressed and hated life, but that changed as I grew and developed.

>> No.9344973

When I realised that these wounds would not heal.

>> No.9344984

>>9344957
I became a teenager and made my first step into growing up.
I wish I could stay a child forever

>> No.9344990
File: 27 KB, 450x320, linkin park.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9344953
>When I was about 13 and realized how shitty and unfair the world is.

>> No.9344996

Sometime in my teens, but then I got it back. I look at things much more thoroughly than I did before when I was dominated by my trivial teenage angst. Of course, life isn't fun and games, but when you look at the big picture, it's never that bad.

I can thank /jp/ and Yuno for getting my head straight. "Take it easy" is more than just a meme; it's like a mantra for me.

>> No.9344999

>>9344984
Hang in there, sport. High school will be over quickly. It's just 4 years after all!

>> No.9345005

>>9344999
Or just drop out.

>> No.9345020

>>9344930
Why

>> No.9345024

>>9344999
But that's bad, school was nice.
It's a part of being a child.
Kindergarten was the best though.

>> No.9345045

when i found /jaypee/ in jan 2012

LOL US NEETS MANG

>> No.9345049

When i realized that i was not one of the lucky to be born into the rich elite or have a "free money" condition meaning i would forever struggle as the lower-middle class working a dead end job while struggling to find free time to enjoy life and a meaningful existence.

>> No.9345061

About 16-17, I was pretty depressed and suicidal until 20.

About that point I realized it wasn't the world that was unfair, it wasn't THE world at all. It was MY world. My world ends when I die, everyone and everything ceases to exist when I stop breathing.

I figure as long as I have the ability to end the entire world by killing myself life can't be unfair.

>> No.9345066

>>9345061
railtracer pls go

>> No.9345086

>>9345020
I wasn't able to fit in at school and I hated my parents.

>> No.9345119

>>9345066
I don't even know what that is.
Googling it, looks like Baccano.
Never seen it.

>> No.9345137

>>9345119
It was just a joke anyway, doesn't matter. That's just the first character who came to my mind when I read the post.

>> No.9346004

When I hit puberty and began feeling incomplete.

>> No.9346059

When my dad started drinking, caused my parent's divorce and the stupid Finn :---DDD social workers didn't believe he had alcoholism and gave him me and my little brother's custody (it took them whole year to realize my father's problems). I was 7.

I even believed in God back then and prayed for suffering to end, but became a very fucking annoying "all religions and George Bush are evil" atheist by 3rd grade. Caused me to have a fallout with all my "friends" and I've been to different psychiatrists and doctors ever since.

Life has been more stable now.

>> No.9346184

Why do people always say that life gets better as you grow up, I remember being depressed and hating my life at 13, but that was nothing compared to how I am now that I'm 21 my life continues to get shittier and shittier, I can see myself dying in a filthy apartment working a minimum wage job at 70 completly alone and virgin

>> No.9346223

>>9346184

The same reason they don't want you to kill yourself so that you can slave away and pay taxes.

>> No.9346265

parents went through a rough divorce and kept trying to use me as a bargaining chip or leverage constantly at age 6

>> No.9346264

I just take the easiest route when possible now to avoid a negative outcome.

>> No.9346275

>>9346184
Life doesn't just "get better" as we grow. We just learn to adapt.

>> No.9346310

Looking back I'm amazed how positive I remained in highschool even while hiding my acne covered face and spending lunch periods in the bathroom.

I guess sometime soon after that I finally just gave up

>> No.9346336

>>9346275

>Life doesn't just "get better" as we grow

It's what you make of it but it's kinda sad you've become complacent with your loser status.

>> No.9346362
File: 101 KB, 500x438, 1341828499415.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My teens. In the process of waging war on my depression by inundating it with moeshit.

>> No.9346537

I questioned the path set before me too many times.

> You need to go to elementary school.
Why do I need to do that?
> So that you can go to middle school.
> So that you can go to high school.
> So that you can go to college.
> So that you can get a job.
> So that you can earn a living.
> So that you can live.
> Suicide is never an option! How dare you claim otherwise! Go to your room, mister.

So be it.

>> No.9346701

When my childhood ended and I learned how awful people are towards each other.

>> No.9348146

>>9344930
>>9345086
Are you me?

>> No.9348160

I don't recall having had a sunny disposition.

>> No.9348168

>>9344921
At nine years-old. When I was surrounded by the society that is today.

>> No.9348169
File: 173 KB, 674x882, 1336800218769.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Being positive and calm is the key to happiness.

Only weak-minded people allow their happiness to be determined by their circumstances. Through meditation and positive thinking you can feel happy in all situations. The mind is a powerful tool if you learn how to control it, but most people just allow their surroundings to control their emotions.

You can only feel sad if you allow yourself to feel sad.

>> No.9348180
File: 272 KB, 720x480, manly akiha2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9348169
I must of been weak minded when I was getting raped and getting beat so badly I had to go to the hospital several times for broken bones. I should of been completely happy with that situation.

>> No.9348181

>>9345024
>school was nice.

For you, for some it was hell on earth.

>> No.9348183

When I was 5 up until 11 I was best friends with a girl from school whom I also had my first and probably last real crush on. After she went to a different intermediate school on the other side of town and I went to some shitty one elsewhere, where I was bullied, I guess that's when it started.

And then I spent all my time playing vidya and avoiding people and eventually met her again except now I'm a loser and she, well, isn't.

She even said she had a crush on me but she moved on.

It's been a few years since then and I've kind of gone from a negative outlook to a neutral one. I stay calm at least.

>> No.9348184

>>9348180
Why are you even responding to him? He's a person who can't think in other people's shoes and has probably never experience personal trauma.

>> No.9348191

Um, probably around 1st grade. I remember, I was in the car, and it was report card day, and I was super proud to have all good marks to show my parents, then my dad saw I had a B in math and starts yelling and cussing to the point that my mom pulls the car over so he can finish yelling at me for getting "a bad grade" and then after we got home, he spanked me.

I'm pretty sure it was sometime around then.

>> No.9348187

right after I finished college and didn't know what to do.

>> No.9348202
File: 59 KB, 498x456, 4324234.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9348180

>Monks, even if bandits were to savagely sever you, limb by limb, with a double-handled saw, even then, whoever of you harbors ill will at heart would not be upholding my Teaching. Monks, even in such a situation you should train yourselves thus: 'Neither shall our minds be affected by this, nor for this matter shall we give vent to evil words, but we shall remain full of concern and pity, with a mind of love, and we shall not give in to hatred. On the contrary, we shall live projecting thoughts of universal love to those very persons, making them as well as the whole world the object of our thoughts of universal love — thoughts that have grown great, exalted and measureless. We shall dwell radiating these thoughts which are void of hostility and ill will.' It is in this way, monks, that you should train yourselves.

>Monks, if you should keep this instruction on the Parable of the Saw constantly in mind, do you see any mode of speech, subtle or gross, that you could not endure?

If you have developed your mind through meditation, love, and compassion then you can endure all hardships.

Look at Thich Quang Duc. He was a monk that burned himself to death in protest and throughout the entire experience he sat calmly and quietly until he eventually died. He never yelled out in pain or showed any reaction of feeling harmed by the flames because his mind was strong.

>> No.9348207 [DELETED] 

>>9344930
>>9345086

you remind me of my younger brother.

He almost kill himself when he was eleven because nodody gives a shit about his life

>> No.9348211

>>9348202
nigga, get your psychotherapy bullshit up outta here we tryna be emo in this bitch.

>> No.9348216
File: 416 KB, 720x480, manly akiha.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9348202
Thank you professor, if I am reborn I will try to remember to build a strong mind as early as possible as a child.

>> No.9348219

When I was born. I've always been extremely negative, even as a kid.
I'm tired of being so bitter, jealous and hateful all the time.

>> No.9348223

>>9344930
>>9345086

you remind me of my younger brother.

He almost killed himself when he was eleven because nodody gave a shit about his life

>> No.9348224

Ever since I can remember I've been depressed, even at a young age. Memories of school just involves bullying, being beaten up, doing horrible in class and having the teachers poke fun at me for it. Being put in hospital for a few months after some bullies beat me up was probably one of the nicest parts of my life. Only because I finally got a play an 18+ game for the PS2 in hospital. The only reason my parents bought me Vice City to play was because the doctors weren't sure if I would live or not, so they decided to finally let me play just in case I wouldn't make it to 18.

My only other pleasant memories come from escaping from reality, playing video games and immersing myself in them. I can't talk to people in real life and I can barely maintain a conversation with someone online, then I just stop talking to them. Things are better now in the sense that I don't interact with people that much any more, so I don't have to deal with the pain which people would inflict on me, but I still do crave interaction. I want interaction with people without pain, though I feel that it's just not possible. I can sum up things by saying that, I'm happy and positive when I'm not myself and when I don't have to think about my life.

>> No.9348229

>>9348169
The mind is a powerful tool, but what you're suggesting is called being in denial or being delusional. Let me explain.

Emotions are not supposed to be easy to control, the mind can help you reign them in and deal with them without turning into a depressing stain in the corner of the room, but it can not and should never simply suppress or "control" your emotions.
No matter how disciplined you are mentally you will still feel sad, angry, frustrated, ect. That is how it should be, if you feel nothing at all, then you really do need help.

The mind can help you deal with all of that however, it can help you see the silver lining, the brighter side of things. If you want to that is.
But not everyone does that, and certainly not all the time. Even you, with your alleged well disciplined mind and lifestyle must have moments of strained emotion that you find are pushing your limits. You likely just know enough to take a step back and deal with them, not let them overwhelm you, but even you can not do it ALL the time. You're still human, and there are times said emotions WILL get the better of you.

It's not about controlling your emotions or the situation, it's not about being happy all the time and it's not about never being sad or unhappy.
It is about acceptance, accepting the good and the bad, the happy and the sad moments. Accepting that there will always be times when you completely loose yourself, and times when you'll feel untouchable (even if it is not true), and most importantly, accepting this of others as well.

To not be able to deal with your problems, your emotions, your depression, is NOT weak, it's human. They are not meant to be dealt with easily, there's no reason to feel bad because you can not and there is no reason to tell others to feel bad because they can't. It only makes things worse.

>> No.9348231
File: 389 KB, 870x1236, 1326955080193.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Never. I've always been happy and right now I'm happier and more optimistic than I've ever been.

>> No.9348239

>>9348216

>if I am reborn I will try to remember to build a strong mind as early as possible as a child.

It's never too late. A strong mind isn't a hardened and jaded shell that you develop like some kind of shield to protect you from the world, it's the exact opposite. True strength, the kind of strength that allows you to endure any hardship and remain happy, is born from feeling compassion and love for everyone, even the people who harm you the most.

>> No.9348259

I was about ten or so, I'd say.

I realized I was a complete autismal prick and became self-hating because of it. For a while I was in denial about it, which caused me to try and find what else was wrong with me, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly just autism and periodic anxiety and depression.

I'm not going to bother ever getting an official diagnosis though, there's not really much point unless I end up in a position where I'm unable to find a job after looking for several years or something and then i need to get autism bux.

I've gotten a bit better recently since I'm given a bit more space and the people who I do talk to occasionally don't constantly hound me about why I'm so socially inept.

>> No.9348276

>>9348239
Are you just pulling these from a website or do you truly believe the bullshit you are posting?

>> No.9348284

>>9348229

>but it can not and should never simply suppress or "control" your emotions.

I never meant to imply that you should suppress your emotions, but instead you can remain in a calm state of mind that allows you to process your emotions without allowing them to overcome you.

It's like watching clouds. If you begin to feel angry or upset then you calmly observe and process these emotions as they flow through your head in the same way that you would watch clouds. The clouds appear, they float by, and then they dissipate. The same is true with all emotions.

Most people process their emotions in a way that's more like being caught in an ocean wave though. The sadness comes in, it smashes against them, and then they start sinking until they eventually recover, but then another wave comes in and it overcomes them again.

It's possible to process your emotions without allowing them to harm you. It's not suppression, it's just remaining calm in all situations and observing your emotions rather than letting them smash against you.

>> No.9348310

>>9346537
Enjoy your starvation

>> No.9348320

>>9348284
That's called Detachment, and it again is not something easily achieved, even in a controlled environment.

The things you've been suggesting all break away from a person's "natural" response or reaction. I understand the purpose of doing so and do support them, but breaking away from a natural response is not something easily done. In most people's eyes this is something akin to becoming a national champion or even a world champion
It is not for everyone, and it shouldn't be if you ask me.

>> No.9348346
File: 260 KB, 808x648, 1336748275710.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was filled with self-hatred from as early as maybe seven or eight. As soon as I was old enough to start getting bullied and to feel self-conscious. It's not until the last few years that I've started having a positive mental attitude.

I realized that other people were the source of all unhappiness though. When do you ever feel self-hatred or depression unless you care enough about what someone says to you that you feel bad? Even friendships are a potential source of pain and unhappiness if you care about them.

Ever since I completely accepted this as being true I've cut off almost all contact with the outside world and I'm happy again. I always used to be scared about what it would feel like to be completely alone, but it's liberating. I'm immune to hurtful things because I have become so distanced from other people that their existence is completely irrelevant to me. Total indifference towards everyone other than myself is a good feeling.

>> No.9348345

>>9346537
I feel for you brother. Today I sliced my bread with my deep dark soul

>> No.9348351

Thanks to OP I won't go outside today even though I had something important to do.
Well, I'll just do it some other time then.

>> No.9348408

>>9348229
>>9345061
/jp/ - Philosophy

>> No.9348410

>>9348320

What makes it difficult for most people? It seemed fairly simple.

Philosophically you can easily get to an existential point of view and that's enough to help you understand that there's no inherent importance or value to life aside from the imaginary goals that you assign yourself. After that it's just a matter of accepting the potential loss of things or people that you care about so that you're no longer attached to them.

When you don't really care anymore then detachment is the natural result. It doesn't mean that you become some emotionless apathetic husk, if anything you can enjoy life even more when you don't feel the need to cling to it.

Think of a video game. Everyone feels a certain degree of detachment when they play a game. You're shooting things, you're in some sort of intense battle, but you don't feel intense fear or any of the emotions that would come from being in that situation in reality because you know that you can die in the game and it doesn't matter.

If you can adapt this same feeling to your own life then suddenly living feels more like a game and less like a terrifying struggle to stay alive and as a side effect all negative emotions are much less potent because you have no reason to care.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action