[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 55 KB, 350x262, god.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9324961 No.9324961[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Does /jp/ believe there is a God?

>> No.9324967

No, but someone with the intelligence of a Christian told me this once.

Now we've calmed down a little and trying to seem witty, eh?
1. Back to school to learn how to read. I never said such a thing.
2. That equals to accusing me of being not japanese and not living in Japan to play japanese games. So, fuck you.
3. Go to point 1.
4. Everything I hear from you on the other hand is constant whining and screaming. That other guy just salved the problem without breaking a sweat, but I can't hear him beside your flaming butthurt.
5. My line, not yours.
6. Go be sarcastic and obscure with your parents, you faggot. No one gets it anyway. Provided you know what these are.
7. Nah, I'm just correct about you.
8. Says the person who called me autist like 4 times already. In a row. Without even proving his point. Sure you okay?
9. We've run out of arguments already, how sad! Now call me a jew, a nigger, a racist, a troll, a weeaboo or something else. Like it makes sense here.
10. I've cleared like 90% of this game without even thinking about swapping the locale, how should I know? And why am I making excuses in front of some nameless faggot? Both makes no sense whatsoever.

Now if you are still in the mood of elevating this petty squabble, I suggest you give me your skype, so that I could prove to you your infantility and wrongness without annoying normal people. Come on, faggot, where's your toughness now? You will allow some silly kid to openly make fun of you? Pathetic.

>> No.9324971

I'd eat her boogers.

>> No.9324978
File: 109 KB, 709x980, god.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

there was a thread like there yesterday i think.

we all believe in one god.

>> No.9324981

>>9324967
What?

>> No.9324984

That's just silly.

>> No.9324985

/r/ing that really old copypasta about a student who OWNS4LYF his professor.

Not the dumb LIBERAL MARXIST FEMINIST xDD one, though I think that might have been a parody of it.

>> No.9324992

Not really considering you only get complex things through billions of years of evolution.

>> No.9325003

They just found the God particle the other day you sheltered no-lifes.

>> No.9325000

>>9324985
The one cold = evil analogy one?

>> No.9325004

Does evil exist?

The university professor challenged his students with this question. Did God create everything that exists? A student bravely replied, "Yes, he did!"

"God created everything? The professor asked.

"Yes sir", the student replied.

The professor answered, "If God created everything, then God created evil since evil exists, and according to the principal that our works define who we are then God is evil". The student became quiet before such an answer. The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question professor?"

"Of course", replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" The students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."

>> No.9325007

>>9325004

The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."

Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already said. We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or love that exist just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

The young man's name — Albert Einstein.

>> No.9325014
File: 22 KB, 298x387, wahtatwist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9325007

>> No.9325025

I do, but that doesn't make this thread on topic.

>> No.9325028

>>9325007
— ZUN!bar, best poster of /jp/ since 1990

>> No.9325029

>>9325007
If evil is the absence of god then god is not omnipresent. If god isn't omnipresent the he is not omnipotent. If god isn't omnipotent then he isn't god bla bla bla

>> No.9325034

>>9325029
you ownd that white bearded old fart 5lyfe, dude

>> No.9325038

>>9325029
If you're applying omnipresence to abstract concepts, then you might as well say God doesn't exist because if He does, faith in Him would be omnipresent. But this clearly isn't the case and hasn't been since the earliest days of man.

>> No.9325039 [SPOILER] 
File: 48 KB, 848x480, what God looked like.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yes. I spoke with him face to face fourteen years back.

I was driving home from the horse track, and some punk kid's truck plowed right into me. He survived and ran off, and I couldn't move. I slowly bled to death and woke up. I was in the clouds, no world below me. I was sitting at a wooden table, God across on the other side.

Long story short, I didn't want to be dead. So we made a deal. If I could beat him in a game of mahjong, I'd have a second chance. He wins, I go to hell.

God was winning for the most part, until the final hand. I was one tile away from a Dai Sushi. All I needed was the 9sou. But God, being omnipotent, knew I needed this, and had prearranged the tiles so that it was the last tile in the wall, and he would get it. I predicted this.

When there were two tiles left, I pulled a sleight of hand. I quickly flipped the two tiles as I drew. "Tsumo". Yakuman.

God said to me, "Do you think you can cheat the Lord?" I knelt, and said "You did not prevent it from happening, so you had arranged for me to do so." He laughed. I blacked out, and then woke up in the hospital.

>> No.9325043

>>9325029
God is self-restricting because the only way for there to be love is if there's free will. In order for there to be things that are not God if since he is omnipresent he must create spaces within which they can be created.

In order to create the vaccum of free will he must withdraw parts of himself so that humans can willingly choose to let parts of Him in.

It's the same logic as the rock bigger than God can lift. Yes he COULD make a rock he couldn't lift but because he is self-limiting he would never do something that illogical.

>> No.9325045

>>9324978
Our Holy Saint IGNUcius is not a god, gods leave us to blame our problems on others and to rely on others. We must rely on ourselves to spread freedom.

>> No.9325053

>>9325039
It's funny because in real stories like this, atheists always have some awkward, convenient scapegoat answer. “Oh, you were hallucinating! It was such-and-such a chemical in your brain, handily released at the right time to make you see a perfect vision of God!”

Then when you apply anything remotely similar to religion, e.g. “No, God can't just appear before you, because you need to have faith in Him.” all atheists are suddenly flapping their mouths about how sarcastically convenient that is. Which isn't even a thing, given that it's one of the founding principles of religion.

>> No.9325055

>>9325007
>>9325004
That is like saying negative value doesn't exist and is not equal to opposite. And according to christian text god did create evil as well.

But it had nice hook there. Made me smile.

>> No.9325062

>>9325053
I believe in a God but experiential arguments are really weak since they can't be repeated or proven and no one can relate to them.

>> No.9325063

>>9325043
This. Otherwise God would just destroy the Universe, create a perfect paradise for Himself where everyone believes in Him no questions asked, and lives there for eternity. Or do something more abstract, like create a dimension of pure consciousness where He can just sit and chill for a few eons.

>> No.9325064
File: 242 KB, 491x498, Shin-Megami-Tensei-General637..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

based God

>> No.9325068

>>9325055
God didn't create evil there's nothing in the Bible saying that. All he does is create the opportunities from which good or evil can arise. He can USE evil for good but he does not create it.

>> No.9325083

>>9325053
Maybe Reddit-tier atheists, yeah.

A truatheist always shuts the fuck up and never tries to argue with religious people.

>> No.9325087

QUALITY THRED

>> No.9325091

otaku culture

d e l

>> No.9325093

>>9325055
Yeah bro temperatures of −400 K are perfectly common, particularly in areas with a luminosity of −2×10⁵ W.

>> No.9325095

>>9325068
But he did create angels and lucifer right?

>> No.9325102

/jp/ is no ``hivemind''
Go back to /a/, scum!

>> No.9325104
File: 48 KB, 500x500, anime girl question chan asks question anime chan girl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

if god created everything
did He create eroge

>> No.9325108

>>9324961
Do you know Oyashiro-sama?

>> No.9325113

>>9325095

Lucifer (Light Bringer) was once the highest of angels.

>> No.9325114

>>9324961
GJ!

>> No.9325115

A liberal muslim homosexual ACLU lawyer professor and abortion doctor was teaching a class on Karl Marx, known atheist

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Marx and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than Jesus Christ!”

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion who had served 1500 tours of duty and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decision made by the United States stood up and held up a rock.

”How old is this rock, pinhead?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “4.6 billion years, you stupid Christian”

”Wrong. It’s been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real… then it should be an animal now”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of Origin of the Species. He stormed out of the room crying those liberal crocodile tears. The same tears liberals cry for the “poor” (who today live in such luxury that most own refrigerators) when they jealously try to claw justly earned wealth from the deserving job creators.

The students applauded and all registered Republican that day and accepted Jesus as their lord and savior. An eagle named “Small Government” flew into the room and perched atop the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The pledge of allegiance was read several times, and God himself showed up and enacted a flat tax rate across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of the gay plague AIDS and was tossed into the lake of fire for all eternity.

Semper Fi.

>> No.9325116

>>9325113
Yes and he became the devil right?

>> No.9325123

>>9325095
Lucifer and angels are intelligent being he created. Lucifer and several angels CHOSE to be evil, they were not made evil. When God made all his stuff he said it was GOOD.

>> No.9325124

>>9325083
i don't know, some people just like to argue, even when they know it's futile.

>>9325003
it's short for "Goddamn Particle", but nice try.

>> No.9325131

Atheism is not a religion. It is a lack of faith. A lack of faith is not faith. Not collecting stamps is not a hobby. Atheism is not the Big Bang theory and it is not the theory of Evolution. Science is not a religion, it is a method for discovering new knowledge. Atheism is only a religion in the same way that not believing is Santa Clause is also a religion. If everything you don't believe in is considered a religion then there are an infinite amount of religions. The burden of proof lies on people claiming that a god exists. There is no purpose for our existence, only causes. Morality is independent of religion. Actions done under the belief that punishment awaits are impure. "Good" and "bad" are only human perceptions.
Religion is the epitome of ignorance, it is a deadly ignorance. It is an abomination and insult to reason. It is a political tool used to control large populations. It is a security blanket for those that fear death. It is a cheap answer to questions that science cannot at this time explain. It is the result of a lack of information. Religion is holding mankind from it's potential.
Religion continues to exist because of tradition, early indoctrination and an emotional response to deny the coldness of reality. Once indoctrinated the believer becomes loyal to his religion. Because he has invested so much of his life/time and emotion into his religion he becomes openly hostile to people that question his faith. He responds with anger and emotion instead of curiosity. He is unable to look critically at his beliefs. Religious people are feelers. They believe in their religion because they WANT it to be true. They are our lost brothers and sisters.

>> No.9325133

I don't see how someone as amazing as myself could exist if there was no god.

>> No.9325137

>>9325123
Aren't angels supposed to not have free will according to the bible

There's too many contradictions in religious texts for me to believe in them

>> No.9325139

>>9325083
>A truatheist always shuts the fuck up and never tries to argue with religious people.

This. It's a conclusion people have to reach on their own. And there's nothing to gain by destroying their happy religious views either.

>> No.9325147

>>9325131
HERP DERP ATHEISM ISN'T RELIGION HERE'S WHY

BUT HERP DERP, ATHEISM _IS_ "SCIENCE" AND "EXISTENTIALISM" FOR ALL THE SAME REASONS I'M ARGUING AGAINST

>> No.9325153

>>9325137
The Bible never makes claims like "angels have no free will" you're thinking about things like dante's inferno that are fictional, gnostic, or supplementary at best.

>> No.9325154

>>9325116
Lol @ nerds who still believe Lucifer = Satan.

>> No.9325160

>>9325115
Who the fuck brings a rock to a classroom?

>> No.9325169

Why aren't YOU reporting the hell out of this thread?

>> No.9325170

>>9325123
Ohhh shit. That's making sense. Decline of god is gaining negative value and becoming evil... But that doesn't make negative value non-existent.

>> No.9325175

Muslim bros hop in this thread!

>> No.9325181

>>9325170
Oh I don't fully believe the copypasta someone posted, Einstein was agnostic or deist, he didn't really hold to any faith or coherent theology.

>> No.9325183

>>9325160
Maybe it was a geology lecture?

Marxists like to weasel their propaganda in wherever they can.

>> No.9325186

I don't mind people who hope for some afterlife or supernatural god like entity to exist. But anyone who subscribes to any of the organized religions and their nonsense is scum.

>> No.9325189

>>9325154
Satan is never even mentioned in the bible. I think some of the more accurate translations refer to "The Adversary" but that's as close as it gets.

>> No.9325207

>>9325170
In this argument though it's more like tending towards 0. Think of all your computer games that have Good and Evil meters, where -100 is Hitler-Satan and +100 is rms, with 0 being Neutral. Here the scale is from 0 ("Evil", the absence of Good) to 100 (really Good) with "Neutral" falling somewhere in between. So while you may be gaining NEGATIVE KARMA (or, losing positive points) and perhaps even accelerating/decelerating in one direction, 0 is the lowest you can go. Like what absolute zero is to temperatures.

>> No.9325213

>>9325189
Satan is mentioned by Jesus but most of the connections you see made between him and pagan gods like Baal, Lucifer, some multi-headed metaphorical dragon in Revelation, and various Psalms are weak. My own personal theology is that the evil humans inflict on one another needs no spiritual motivations and that humans can be pretty scary on their own. The exorcist was fictional and there's convincing arguments that the demons in the new testament were just mental illnesses that Jesus cured. I can't get into it all but it's the type of theological subject people have spent their whole lives studying and writing about.

>> No.9325221

If God is so smart then why did he make Lucifer
christians status: owned4lyfe

>> No.9325268

As some people have pointed out, most of what Christianity believes about angels and the devil is either made-up bullshit or grossly distorted. Nowhere in the Bible does it say the devil is a fallen angel, and 'Lucifer' referred to some ancient king, not the devil. For angels, we know even less than for satan; all we know is that they are God's servants. I'm not even sure if they're ever even seen with their typical wings in the Bible.

This Cracked article actually had some surprising info for me as well, even though I'm a Christian who actually looks up the authenticity of stuff: http://www.cracked.com/article_18757_5-things-you-wont-believe-arent-in-bible.html
The Church has made up tons of bullshit over the ages. The protestant split cleared up the worst of it, but there's still tons of nonsense associated with Christianity that God never said.

>> No.9325269

>>9325213
u mena epilepsy ISN'T caused by demons??

>> No.9325272

>>9325268
>Christian who actually looks up the authenticity of stuff
Any person who does such a thing wouldn't be a Christian

>> No.9325273

>>9325272
Organized religion a shit

>> No.9325274

I am “God”.

>> No.9325279

>>9325007
>>9325034
>>9325181
http://www.snopes.com/religion/einstein.asp
Einstein had nothing to do with that tale.

>> No.9325283

I'm glad I read the Bible BEFORE pop culture perverted my view of Christianity.

It's kind of like Touhou in that it's amazing how much fanon gets wrong. The big one for me was that Satan isn't said to rule over Hell or whatever people believe.

>> No.9325284

>>9325268
The biggest problems happened because missionaries all over Europe decided to copy St. Patrick's style of evangelism and turn pagan gods or ancient heroes into angels, devils, or saints.

I'm sure /tg/ can talk your ear off about how lovecraftian Biblical angels really were, but even then those descriptions may just be metaphorical which just adds a whole different layer of confusion.

>> No.9325292

>>9325279
Snopes is ran by ZOG Reptilians. Of course they're going to cover it up.

>> No.9325304
File: 41 KB, 460x480, ensten.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

>> No.9325315
File: 27 KB, 500x307, Surprise_RMS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9325004
>>9325007

>> No.9325329

>>9325284
I don't think it was that much of an active effort to turn pagan tales to Christian ones but a lot of that happened accidentally, such as adopting pagan name for God because no better word existed, or was distorted by new converts, such as happened in Japan when locals did not really understand position of saints and missionaries were banned before they could really correct the situation.

>> No.9325332

>>9325221
so he can punish the bad guys without looking like one, i guess.
god seems like a pretty manipulative guy from what i've seen so far.

>> No.9325365

>>9325332
God lets intelligent beings make decisions based on their free will, be it good or evil. But being GOD he manipulates all events and purposes to his own plans, so even evil can be made to render good.

>> No.9325377
File: 1.95 MB, 3327x4418, 1311685938715.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

more plotholes than zelda timeline

>> No.9325394

Who cares about Christianity? It's just smelly cover of older one.

>> No.9325405

>>9325377
>.jpg

>> No.9325428

>>9325377
If you're really interested you can research each one of those individually. There's not a single "plothole" in the Bible that hasn't been addressed in the thousands of years it's been taught and studied and examined. Paul himself encouraged Christians to struggle with doubt until they can overcome it. Theology and Biblical canon can be a lot of fun and very interesting to study, so if you're further interested you will find google to me infinitely more useful than 4chan. All I want to do is be able to deal with basic theological assumptions people make concerning it all.

>> No.9325431

>>9325405
google image search it, the png is 7 - 9 megs.

>> No.9325494

>>9325377
Somebody make a similar chart on how history books contradict each other. It clearly shows that our history is completely made up!

The individual books in the bible were originally that, individual books. Between 300 and 400 AD, the Church evaluated a whole bunch of books and basically decided that certain books were ABSOLUTE INFALLIBLE TRUTH while others were UTTER AND ABSOLUTE ANTICHRIST LIES. The result of this process is the INFALLIBLE AND YOU WILL GO TO HELL IF YOU DISAGREE Bible, which from that point on was THE ABSOLUTE PERFECT SOURCE of information on anything regarding Christianity.

But even before that shit happened, books were copied by hand, and changes were made as things were copied (especially for the four main books of the New Testament there's tons and tons of evidence that lots of it has been modified; there are even strong theories about how Matthew and Luke are basically just compilation books of Mark and a lost source).

Basically, humans messed with the Bible from the very start, so it's been mutilated to hell and back. The important parts are mostly intact, but you should take every detail with a spoon of salt.

>> No.9325500

>>9325431
I don't leave /jp/ unless I am linked to something.

>> No.9325512

>>9325494
That still doesn't work in God's favor if the only thing he left about him is a badly mutilated book.

>> No.9325515

>>9325494
Basically, the bible is bullshit from the very start

>> No.9325553

>>9325494
I can't really argue about the new testament part of your argument but the old testament is intact as it was before Jesus was walking around teaching stuff. The dead sea scrolls can attest to that, they haven't been altered at all by Christians.

>> No.9325560

>>9325515
In the same way history is bullshit from the very start. We pretend to know a lot more than we actually do, but that doesn't mean we don't know anything.

>> No.9325573

>>9325553
Not by Christians, but I'm pretty sure they were altered by Jews over time. And hell, the five most important books of the Old Testament were only written after many generations of oral tradition.

>> No.9325577

>>9325560
The bible having imperfections (a fuckload of them) takes away from its supposedly divine nature
You can't say the same for history

>> No.9325604

>>9325577
That's what I'm trying to say: The Bible is not 'divine'. Its message is, but The Bible is not.

>> No.9325608

>>9325604
おk。 That's not helping anyone.

>> No.9325740
File: 41 KB, 373x354, god.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Isaiah 45:7
"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

Don't believe in Jesusfag, God is not a feel-good, all-loving deity. If you rape a virgin, he commands to marry her. He promotes polygamy. If he wants you to do genocide, you must do it or he'll curse and kill you. The Old-Testament God is much more realistic than the NT Jesus guy. Oh, and he's a capitalist. If you fuck someone else's wife you are to be stoned because you have stolen property. I could go on and on. I mean, if you accept that evil is also created by God the whole theistic worldview seems just more realistic.

Oh, and the Talmud says the minimum age of marriage for girls is 12 years... so... OT God is absolutely lolicon!

>> No.9325809

>>9325740
Translation issue.
That verse in different translations: http://bible.cc/isaiah/45-7.htm
'Evil' here refers to catastrophic events that can occur in a person's life, not the suffering in the world. A better translation would be 'calamity'. Also check the word-by-word translation on that site.

>> No.9325949

>>9325740
Talmud isn't canon even to jews, it's meant to be commentary that you meditate on.

>> No.9325969

>>9325949
it's probs canon to DA SUSSMAN xDD
http://mit.edu/~gjs/random-quotes/

>> No.9326005

I'm non-theistic and believe in some tennants of Buddhism, Taoism, and even few and far between. Some words of the Bible. I believe in Karma and cosmic balance. But I do not believe there is a "God" just that billions of years ago, something so large as to be incomprehensible created the ultimate structure that started the universe, and that it is an overwhelming force that mediates the balance of that universe.

But to imply that it is a person, and that person talks to me, and that I have the right to invoke my name is beyond blasphemous.

>> No.9326301

Pascal's Wager, uses the following logic:

1. "God is, or He is not"

2. A Game is being played... where heads or tails will turn up.

3. According to reason, you can defend neither of the propositions.

4. You must wager. (It's not optional.)

5. Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering that God is. Let us estimate these two chances. If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing.

6. Wager, then, without hesitation that He is. (...) There is here an infinity of an infinitely happy life to gain, a chance of gain against a finite number of chances of loss, and what you stake is finite. And so our proposition is of infinite force, when there is the finite to stake in a game where there are equal risks of gain and of loss, and the infinite to gain.

And if God does exist or not it's not the problem, the problem is that you have to grind the same.

>> No.9326335
File: 10 KB, 320x240, Pascal's Wager.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9326301
This chart sums it up faster than that wall of text.

>> No.9326372

>>9326301
>>9326335
I know it's not the *only* argument and it's more of a fallback, but I've always felt this is like blackmail or some sort of deception. I guess part of religion has always been, "Believe this or bad stuff will happen!" but when you reduce it to this, the believers look like assholes.

>> No.9326397

>>9326005
You could follow the belief that the universe has always existed, which would rule out the need for a "creator". Still, I'm in your camp when it comes to God.

>>9326301
It does not take into account the extent to which you must "believe", and there are no solid guidelines to follow in order to gain acceptance into heaven. Aside from this, believing simply because you wish to gain is a selfish act which would probably discount any notion of supposed "goodwill". Pascal's wager also doesn't take into account which religious institution worships the right God. To say that you lose nothing is wrong. You lose time, energy, and the strength of your own ideals; to reduce your life to a gamble is to degrade your own self.

This is only my analysis of Pascal's Wager. There's been plenty of criticism toward it over the years.

>> No.9326412

>>9326301
>>9326335
doesn't take into account that there's more than one religion, so it's worthless wankery.
You can't believe in all gods and worship them all.

>> No.9328852

Bump.

>> No.9328891

/jp/ - Christian Scholars

>> No.9328906

>>9324967
10/10
would read again !

>> No.9328917

>>9326397
>To say that you lose nothing is wrong. You lose time, energy, and the strength of your own ideals.

True.

>> No.9328933

>>9326335
Jesus Christ do you fags even listen to real atheist points? Pascal wager is weak. Do you believe in Zeus Ra or any of the other gods?

>> No.9328936
File: 217 KB, 700x600, Pascals_wager.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9326335
>>9326301

>> No.9328949

Why would god need evolution if he can poof everything into existence? Why go the furthermost roundabout way of getting humanbeings after millions of years of dinosaurs?

>> No.9328952

Fact: atheists think ShKanontrice is NOT the answer to Umineko.

>> No.9328984

>>9328949
Well, when you're omnipotent and omnipresent, time isn't really an issue.

>> No.9328987

The problem with pascal's wager is that most religions are polytheistic. By following a judeo-christian doctrine, you're damning yourself from the other 2000 religions out there.

So you start looking up the other religions and see which one would damn you the worst. Then you start to realize all of religions are bullshit.

>> No.9328988

>>9328936
>Pork
No jew
>Foreskin
optional
>time and energy
optional
>10% of your income
optional
>valuable scientific and medical advancements
it's 2012 and atheists still believe this
>life-saving blood transfusions
what religion is this?
>Basic rights, freedoms and dignity
optional, except for the ones like killing. if you want to do that I wouldn't be christian

Most atheists don't understand all that is required to go to heaven is believing in God and Jesus.. or something along those lines

>> No.9329001
File: 63 KB, 400x397, 1314846194721.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Imagine... No atheists.

>> No.9329015

>>9328988
>>life-saving blood transfusions
jehovah witnesses

>> No.9329036
File: 367 KB, 900x1140, 66e0e7f0edd87fa6bc58daccf889d6af38b0213c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9328987
This is troll logic.

The number of possible religions which are correct is 1 or 0. Either 1 religion is right and all others are wrong, or all religions are wrong together.

So assuming 2000 religions in the world that means 1999 are wrong and only 1 is right.

Every single major religion in the world teaches that if you live a good life, even if you belong to the wrong religion, god will reward you regardless. The only religions that teach otherwise is fundie bullshit religions which can be safely ignored.

So stop using that as an excuse.

Also this is a religion thread, where's our damned religion?

Goddamn you neo /jp/

>> No.9329051

>>9325604
But what is the bible's message supposed to be if it's so contradictory?

Fucking christians, man.

>> No.9329075

>>9328936

The problem in general, with Pascal's Wager, is that Hell in it's currently incarnation was not was originally in the Bible, and it was created after the fact to instill fear that torment will befall a person who doesn't believe in god.

For one, if God is loving, and created man with free will, why must he force you to love him? Theoretically he could have created you to always love him. Why is it the word of god, when it was created, and much of the book was written after those, who supposedly talked to God, died?

Christian believe has me believe that my creator, is a vengeful, selfish parent who will kill, or torture the children who don't love him, and only love, and reward those who do. Robbing them of free will, creativity. And putting them into a neurotic state to do, or believe everything he says, out of fear of punishment.

Honestly, I wonder, what if your actual father acted this way towards you?

>> No.9329091

>>9329036

>not worshiping Madoka

We actually have proof she died for your sins.

>> No.9329098

Kono sure wa,
goran no sponsa

[The Christian Imageboard™]

teikyou de okurishimasu

>> No.9329129

>>9329036
>Every single major religion in the world teaches that if you live a good life, even if you belong to the wrong religion, god will reward you regardless. The only religions that teach otherwise is fundie bullshit religions which can be safely ignored.
Then why believe in a god if the actual focus is on things that you would do already? If this were the truth, then Pascal's wager might actually be valid in the opposite direction.

>> No.9330014

>>9329036
>Every single major religion in the world teaches that if you live a good life, even if you belong to the wrong religion, god will reward you regardless.
Where the hell do you live? That's wrong for both Islam and Christianity.

>> No.9330169

>>9325043
>god
>free-will
Have you properly loathed yourself today as your religion brainwashed you to ?

>> No.9330178

>>9329036
>The number of possible religions which are correct is 1 or 0.
No.

Learn quantum physics, and then realise how shitty your logic is.

>> No.9330229

>>9325093
>watt to measure luminosiry
that should be lm, you asslord.

Nice job putting an abstract value concept on equal foot with intensive properties.

Also, the definition he used for cold is rather loose. cold is a subjective notion. Some people think that 50°F is cold, other think it's hot.

>> No.9330573

>>9328988
>my denomination of Christianity doesn't demand it, therefore no other does and no other religion either
Look at that baka.
Pascal's wager is utter bullshit, every religions troll thread has better arguments for believing.

>> No.9331468

>>9329051
be excelent to each other

>> No.9331770
File: 11 KB, 320x350, 1311702962341.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Atheism: The arrogant faith that there is no God and that being a guy in his mid 20s and reading Richard Dawkin's book is enough to assure everyone that you are smart enough to know the possibility of a supremely divine creator of all things is completely impossible, because of 400 or so years of human scientific advancement in a 13~ billion year old Universe and that it's perfectly rational and reasonable that a huge explosion happened for no reason and some elements mixed together for no reason and became alive for no reason, and evolved in to bacteria and plants for no reason which evolved in to humans for no reason, and we all live and die for no reason.

Christianity: The faith that some 1600-2000 year old book of shitposting is right, and that the Universe is only 6000 years old, and that preceding civilizations and architecture are all fake or just fit in the time frame that is most convenient for the argument of their God.

Islam: Some militant neckbeard who married a 9 year old girl and preaches that you should kill non-Muslims and said that he is teaching the word of God is the FINEST GENTLEMAN in history, and you have to pray to the Jihad God several times per day.

Master races: Spirituality & Agnosticism.

>> No.9331785

I believe in Karma

only that can explain my bad luck with everything

>> No.9331787

>>9331770
The love for ones nation is the true and only thing that matters.

>> No.9331802

>>9331770
>Master races: Spirituality & Agnosticism.
You're no different than a blind fundamentalist. Enjoy your forced stupidity, I guess.

>> No.9331809

>>9331802
What I read from your post was

>wahhh T___T he made my beliefs sounds as retarded as they are so I will shitpost

>> No.9331851

Name me one successful nation that has absolutely zero ties to religion.

GO

>> No.9331861

>>9331851
Yourmum-land
Population: my dick

>> No.9331865
File: 188 KB, 1000x1000, 1318378282252.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Christians are more successful than atheists, and generally happier.

>> No.9331886

I wish you all abrahamic religions would go to fuck yourselves.

>> No.9331895

sure is /r/atheism in here

>> No.9332044

>>9324961

Don't know about /jp/ as a whole, but I don't. Of course that isn't to say one doesn't exist, but I see no reason to favor one God over the piles that have existed throughout human history. The idea that the Judeo-Christian God is the 'right God' is just silly.
I also intensely dislike the idolatry that many protestant evangelicals practice. I hate to break it to them, but the Bible is written by man about God... It is not God itself. Fucking morons.

tl;dr: If you say God was the reason behind the initial condition of the universe, I'm fine with that, but beyond that we have issues.

>> No.9332066

>>9331865
I'm really jealous of them.
It must feel great to be able to have so much faith in something

>> No.9332086

>>9332066
Yeah, enough faith to blind you permanently.

>> No.9332102

>>9331865
This is why I wish I was a Christian. Seriously, religiosity is one of the biggest contributors to happiness.

Unfortunately my personality makes me lean strongly towards rationalism, and deluding myself takes too much work.

>> No.9332106
File: 529 KB, 1170x2000, TheAmazingAtheist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9332109

>>9331865
Oh yeah? The most successful rich people like Bill Gates Waren Buffer or Mark Zuckerberg are atheist. Happiness is relative.

>> No.9332114

>>9332086
What's better, seeing the cruel depressing truth or living in ignorant bliss?

I wish religion wouldn't be used as a tool to obtain power, because basicly it's a nice concept that enables many people to live happily

>> No.9332123

>>9332109
But they are jews.
Rich people are always jews.

>> No.9332128

>>9332106
Don't forget, he's literally a shitposter and has scat videos on the internet.

Nothing Amazing about him except for his literal ability to shit up the internet.

>> No.9332141

>>9332114
Without a mass of people, traditions, rules and leaders your delusion of choice is a lot harder to believe in.

So I doubt there's a way for religion to exist without the downsides.

>> No.9332139

Personally, no, but I have absolutely nothing against those with faith.

>> No.9332140

>>9332102
that's an ignorant thing to say dude.

>> No.9332170

Question: how do we control the masses without religion?

Not in a herp derp big brother kind of way, but the masses do need control. Laws can only do so much.

>> No.9332180
File: 33 KB, 460x436, 1340335302792.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't believe in God but I still hate atheists.

>> No.9332191

>>9332170
It's not like unwashed masses were rampaging around in anarchy when suddenly religion swooped in and established order. Things will work themselves out.

>> No.9332194

>>9332170
communism

>> No.9332207

>>9332194
That worked great in China and the Soviet Union.

>> No.9332201

>>9332180

Same.

>> No.9332242
File: 28 KB, 454x454, 1325133912969.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>CHRISTIANS ARE VIOLENT HATEFUL PEOPLE WHY CAN'T THEY BE RATIONAL LIKE US ATHEISTS

Atheist death count last 100 years:

Stalin - 40 million
Mao - 38 to 67 million
Pol Pot - 4 million

>> No.9332243

>>9325004
>>9325007
The absence of good isn't evil. The absence of good is indifference.

>> No.9332250

>>9332170
Czech Republic is supposedly full of atheists but i don't see any anarchy there. everyone is fine.

>> No.9332251

>>9332243
There is no good. Or evil.

>> No.9332258

>>9332242
Last I checked, communism is a religion. Just look at how people in North Korea worships Dear Leader and bow to him at noon every day. And Hilter was religious.

>> No.9332260
File: 32 KB, 323x213, Satori Sees.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's sad to see that some /jp/sies don't believe God. Sadder, they don't seem to have ever tried to study the bible, the message that they denounce. At least they should try to learn more and empathize with Christians.

>> No.9332262

>>9332251
You are dark. And edgy.

>> No.9332264

>>9332251
We make "good" and "evil", nerd.

Take your nihilism back to the Linkin Park forums.

>> No.9332266
File: 315 KB, 1000x708, 1307008444784.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9332258
>Last I checked, communism is a religion

>> No.9332271

>>9332260
Can't empathize with someone that can let an imaginary sky fairy justify his actions.
Can't empathize with someone that is too arrogant to say "I don't know".

>> No.9332270
File: 204 KB, 600x503, 2268747.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Trick Ending or Magic Ending?

No one picked Magic Ending...

>> No.9332273

What do you guys think of Christianity as a "philosophy"? I don't believe in the metaphysical stuff because I'm too boring, but as a philosopher Jesus was a pretty agreeable dude. And yes, there are some stupid things about woman and gays that are best ignored.

If I took all the supernatural elements as stories to prove a point (all philosophers write these), then Christianity is really something I could get behind.

>> No.9332274

>>9332266

Don't tap on the glass, it enrages the American.

>> No.9332277 [DELETED] 

>>9332271
>lolz U BELEVE IN SKY FAIRYYY XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

>>>/r/atheism

>> No.9332279

>>9332262
Like a spoiler.

>> No.9332284

>>9332277
>my sky fairy deserves special treatment because many people believe it!

>> No.9332287

>>9332273
Jesus was a hippie socialist.

>> No.9332289

>>9332279
TOUCHED FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME~

>> No.9332290

Religion is shit.

You should all feel bad about replying to a thread like this.

>> No.9332299

>>9332290
/jp/ is populated is populated by christian mormons. so what would you expect?

>> No.9332306
File: 148 KB, 561x404, 1306366961619.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9332308

>>9332290
"I'm too insecure to be able to discuss anything without feeling offended"

>> No.9332312

>>9332290

There's something inside you that pulls beneath the surface, isn't there?

>> No.9332314

>>9332284
okay anon, you can stop being the edgy new-age teen now.

>> No.9332330

>>9332306
I would unironically rather be the guy on the right, or at least hang out with him.

When you look at it as an introverted adult, the whole goth/emo/whatever teenage scene is actually pretty neat.

>> No.9332333

>>9332273
i don't think anything personally, i have no clue what christian philosophy is and how it looks like. from what i've seen christianity in general doesn't seem to be coherent enough to consider it a single philosophy. even if you only go by the bible, i've seen different people interpret in in very different ways.
mind you, i don't actually know shit, i'm basing this opinion on beliefs of christian people i've seen. never read the bible itself.

>> No.9332338
File: 79 KB, 600x600, 1232304960029.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9332340

Jesus was 30-years-old jobless virgin who wander around the country stirring up trouble with his hippie friends. He was pacifist, disliked rich and greedy and didn't give a fuck about authorities.

>> No.9332344

>>9325038
but it is, it just takes many forms.

whether it's faith in christian one, jewish one, allah, zeus, odin, scientology or even freedom or might, you're still believing in something.

that something has many names. god, allah, vishnu, flying spaghetti monster, cthulhu, you name it, it refers to the same being, who is both every god in every faith, and none of them at all because each faith just applies their own idea of human-centric mythology to it.

tl;dr a god is real, but none of the myths created by religions are true.

>> No.9332347

>>9332308
>>9332312
Amen.

>> No.9332357

lolicons and atheists are the easiest fish to troll

>> No.9332384

>>9332273
Too outdated and based on wishful thinking. A curse on humanity. Those who suffer from it no longer think. They start to blindly accept things, as well as becoming confident in their ignorance.

>> No.9332385
File: 77 KB, 600x450, god isnt real stupid ignorant christians.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCSdLtNZbaA

>> No.9332390

>>9325115
>The students applauded and all registered Republican that day and accepted Jesus as their lord and savior.
heretics. if you don't accept the god as your lord, you're believing in idols like a pagan. you're supposed to worship the god, not his prophet jesus or even less, his prophet's mother.

doing that makes the god angry, and then he sends you a message of anger by making statues cry and spill blood, suggesting that if you don't stop it, your blood will be spilled next.

>> No.9332396

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_the_Apostate

rip died too sono

i wish your still lvied

>> No.9332414

>>9332396
"Vicisti, Galilaee"

i cry evertime

>> No.9332438

>>9324985
>Harvey says the professor, a Dr. Lee, was a deist who annually lectured against prayer. In one of the class sessions, Dr. Lee said he was going to drop a glass flask on the floor and asked if anyone would like to pray first that the flask would not break, therefore demonstrating the reality of prayer. Richard Harvey volunteered and prayed. The professor dropped the flask and it rolled off his shoe to the floor without damage. The class cheered and the professor stopped his annual lectures against prayer.

>> No.9332465

>>9332438
WHO CARES IT CONVENIENTLY DIDNT BREAK DUE TO PHYSICS SOME CIRCUMSTANCES HAPPENED THAT MADE IT NOT BREAK IT WAS A FLUKE

*uses the same logic atheists hate against them*

>> No.9332477 [DELETED] 
File: 12 KB, 249x202, trollface..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9332438
God's face when.

>> No.9332484

>>9332270
i did, because i got spoiled beforehand and knew the trick ending was a bad end choice.

>> No.9332490

>>9328988

>>Foreskin
>optional

Kike detected.

>> No.9332494

>>9332477

God is the ultimate troll. Epic fail for that dumbass athiedt fag.

>> No.9332495
File: 53 KB, 600x400, 1393335763161.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT: aspies discussing serious shit.

>> No.9332503

>>9332477
>>9332494
You guys are seriously making me upset, please stop.

>> No.9332506

>>9332495
>religion
>serious
you can only choose one

>> No.9332512

>>9332503
Guess what? You don't have the RIGHT not to be upset, this is America.

>> No.9332515

>>9332503
Sorry man, it was just a dumb joke.

Deleting my post now.

>> No.9332516

>>9332385
I actually went to school with him freshman and sophomore year.

>> No.9332520

>At university, new semester
>have brand new ThinkPad
>everybody else is using ipads, cheaper tablets, a few macbooks
>professor is a huge macfag
>tells us mac is hte future and we are stupid if we don't get a mac
>tell him he is wrong
>he pulls me up to compare my ThinkPad to his macbook
>mine is faster, and better in every way
>starts getting mad
>he pours water over mine by "accident"
>"oh no! your 90's laptop is dead! you had better go buy a new macbook after class today!"
>"Actually, this is a top of the range t410 ThinkPad, and it's waterproof"
>hold my ThinkPad that is still expelling water over his macbook and hte water drains onto his macbook and kills it
>"the fuck did you just do? GET OUT OF MY CLASS!"
>tried to get me expelled
>they look at security footage
>come back next week and see a new lecturer
>he's a huge Linux/open source fag
>has a Richard Stallman picture on his ThinkPad

>> No.9332523
File: 25 KB, 389x327, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>God

I believe in what exists

>> No.9332529

>>9331787
万歳、日本!

>> No.9332530

>>9332520
Something something Emacs.
Something something like Apple.

>> No.9332543

>>9331865
Epic image macro.

>> No.9332563

>>9331865
>referencing God means you believe in it

NO

IT IS MERELY TO REFER TO THE IDEA

FUCKING DAMMIT STRAWMANS mildly annoy me.

>> No.9332567

>>9332109
Bill Gates has assburgers, he's actually autistic.

Praise GNU/Linux, HALLELUJAH!

>> No.9332582

>>9332567
he diagnosed?

>> No.9332591
File: 686 KB, 850x1153, 1_367.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

God is boring and one-dimensional. Pantheons are so much better.

>> No.9332598
File: 103 KB, 562x437, hahaha.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9332591
>paganism

>> No.9332600

>>9332516
how was he?

>> No.9332609
File: 37 KB, 600x450, lain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I worship Lain. My life has improved significantly now that I know she is watching over me.

>> No.9332611

It's nice when a poster asks a legitimate question regarding the board community and its own posters shit on their own place for 100+ posts.

>> No.9332613

>>9332591
Less is more.

>> No.9332616
File: 114 KB, 1280x720, eden_of_the_east_tomahawk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9324961

>> No.9332618

Of course I believe in myself. Stop asking stupid quiestions.

>> No.9332623
File: 58 KB, 450x596, respect find out what it means to me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

While there are lots of annoying atheists, you have to understand that any christian who claims 'excuse me, what have I done to offend you' is passively supporting teaching creation theory in schools, the pro-life agenda, amongst others, just by labeling themselves 'christian'. It doesn't matter if they vote democrat or republican, or even if they are apathetic about those issues.

By labeling yourself christian, you lend credibility and the illusion of numbers to the fundies. Sure, you may not mean to, but you are. This is why these annoying atheists will constantly attack people's ideas.

Me, I just want people to actually think about their beliefs, and understand that most people really are incapable of that, so don't bother harassing them.

>> No.9332643
File: 697 KB, 160x400, Kiralink.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9332598
...Is colorful, interesting, and not riddled with plot holes because it doesn't try to bite over more than it can chew.
>>9332613
Except that Christianity is like a melting pot of pagan stuff with a new coat of paint, hardly a minimalist approach. Though the non-god-centric OC fluff is interesting, but that hardly gets any focus nowadays.

On religious design, I value compartmentalization, instead of catch-all solutions.

>> No.9332637

>>9332290
What has religion got to do with God? One is the creator of the Universe, the other is a shitpile of instutional oppressive dogma.

>> No.9332648
File: 22 KB, 558x651, 1324345563379.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9332623
>pro-life agenda

What's wrong with being against child murder?

>> No.9332655
File: 141 KB, 400x279, 1302385718_6190_full.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9332657

>>9332623
I think if people aren't capable of thinking about it they shouldn't have an opinion about it either.

>> No.9332661

>>9332648

Because people have a right to do what they want with their bodies. All abortion clinics do is reduce the orphaned population / unsafe abortion practices / babies left to die. Getting rid of abortion clinics doesn't stop babies from being killed.

This is an assumption, but I'd say you'd agree with the phrase 'guns don't kill people, people kill people.' I agree with it too. Abortion clinics don't kill babies, people kill babies.

>> No.9332666

>>9332661
- Implying they are actually living beings before 3 months of gestation.

>> No.9332667

>>9332657

I agree, but unfortunately there is no objectively fair way to prevent that type of person from voting / calling their senator, etc.

>> No.9332682

>>9332666

See, but I'm not going to argue that because you won't convince a pro-lifer that. I'm going to argue in a way that makes sense to them. It's the optimal form of communication, and will be more likely to convince them of my point.

>> No.9332701

>>9332666
I'd like to hear why you believe they aren't living things.

>>9332661
>Because people have a right to do what they want with their bodies

Yes, and they exercised that right to their bodies and decided to have unprotected sex without birth control. This is a conscious decision, and they know the risks. The "but they would be born poor and to bad families" argument really doesn't hold water. Go ask any poor kid if he would rather be dead, the vast majority would say no.

Let me ask you a question. How many months in should a woman be able to get an abortion? When the baby comes out of the woman is it suddenly a human?

>> No.9332707

>>9332701
they're as much living things as a tumor in your leg. they're bio matter, but until their brain starts developing they're not much more than a bulging mass of meat.

>> No.9332710

Does it matter if there is a god? A god is a figure for people to look up to, to worship, to give people purpose and direction. It does not matter if it truly exists or not.

Personally? I don't believe in god, or worship any gods. I do like the concept of an afterlife however, whether it be reincarnation, heaven, valhalla, jannah, nirvana... pretty much anything that isn't rotting in the ground or being tormented forever is fine with me.

>> No.9332718

Just remember, we were the ones to actually shit this whole thread up. We could have either just let it die or hid it if we thought we had no way of making decent posts.

>> No.9332719

>>9332707
Is a person in a coma human, then?

>> No.9332721

>>9332666
>666

Watch out guys, we've got a devil worshipper over here.

>> No.9332722

>>9332710
lol

/thread

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action