[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 44 KB, 400x300, le curly brace face.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9271683 No.9271683 [Reply] [Original]

That Polar Star of yours is in awful shape. Do you want to trade it for my machine gun?

>> No.9271685

Sure, I like flying.

>> No.9271687
File: 128 KB, 421x480, 1 (25).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

polar star is?
machine gun is?

>> No.9271691

No, go drown

>> No.9271701

>>9271683

Considering how much you fucking hulk out when you use the machine gun in that one stage? No sir.

Also, I want that motherfucking Spur.

>> No.9271720

Every time I play this game, I forget the bullshit trading.

Isn't it something like you get the Machine Gun but then you can't get the Snake and get the Spur instead, but if you opt for the Snake then you can't fly so you have to use the first Booster and then you can't receive the second Booster early and get the best ending?

I'M SO CONFUSED

>> No.9271736

>>9271720
Real men don't trade the polar star in and go through labyrinth with no booster at all.

>> No.9271741

>>9271736
Please return to where you came from.

>>>/v/

I put a link so you could find it easier.

>> No.9271751

go back to /v/.

>> No.9271754

>>9271736
How? I thought you needed the Booster or the Machine Gun to cross some pit?

Or was that just for some power-up (the Arms Barrier, maybe)?

>> No.9271760

>>9271751
It's a Japanese doujin game, nerd.

Go spam some Touhou threads.

>> No.9271763

>>9271720

Holy fuck your memory is absolutely shitty. I haven't played this game in years, but I remember how it works.

If you get the machine gun, you can't get the Snake or Spur.
If you get the Snake, you can't get the Spur.
You get the Spur near the end of the game.

The machine gun allows for flight, KIND OF, but it's never NECESSARY for anything at any point in the game.

If you get the first booster, you never get the second booster. If you don't get the first booster, you automatically get the second booster later. The first booster is never necessary; anything you can't reach without it can just be gotten later with the second booster.

>> No.9271768

>>9271763
Nobody asked you, nerd.

>> No.9271772

>tfw you had a read a guide to figure out how to save Curly

>> No.9271777

>>9271763
I see. So basically you can have either the Polar Star or the Machine Gun, as long as you skip the Snake and Booster?

Don't you need a specific weapon for the Spur?

>> No.9271780

>that feel when you played cave story before it was popular

>> No.9271781

>>9271772
Someone told me on IRC and I restarted my game.

>> No.9271786

>>9271780
I don't know that feel because I am not a hipster.

>> No.9271791

>>9271777

>So basically you can have either the Polar Star or the Machine Gun, as long as you skip the Snake and Booster?

...What? You can have the Polar Star or the machine gun regardless of anything else you ever do in the game up to that point. AFTER the choice between the machine gun and the Polar Star is made, there's a place later where you can swap out the Polar Star and that gun that launches rolling fireballs for the Snake. If you never make that trade, there's a spot you can reach later where you get the Polar Star upgraded into the Spur.

The boosters are wholly independent of any of that.

>> No.9271792

>>9271780
Bet you played it in English, nerd.

Of course, I played it back when it first became cool and stuff. I was actually upset to hear it was getting a proper DS/Wii port. I don't like underdogs if they're commercially successful.

>> No.9271797

>>9271791
>there's a spot you can reach later where you get the Polar Star upgraded into the Spur.

Then what if I take the Machine Gun?

>> No.9271809

>>9271797
Then you obviously won't have a Polar Star to trade.

>> No.9271810

>>9271797

Then fuck you, you don't get to have the Snake OR the Spur.

>> No.9272258

Sword Lvl. 2 is better than the Spur.

>>9271754
The hardest pit is the one where you see professor booster falling. It's easy if you use the small red mark in the floor as a guide for when to jump.

>> No.9276392

I wish this game never received "upgraded" releases
they ruined what was good about the original

>> No.9282160

>>9276392

Yeah, that version or whatever for the 3DS looks terrible as HELL. I wonder what Pixel is up to these days though.

>> No.9282183

>>9282160
Last I checked he was working on a multi-user game.

>> No.9282239

The hardest part of not getting the first booster or machinegun/snake was The Core. You could only get out of the water from the far left, and only if it was low. If you fell in the water from the right, which was very easy to do, you probably weren't going to get out before you drowned.
The platforming in the waterway was a pain in this ass without a booster too.

>> No.9282253

>>9282239
The water was kind of an artificial trap anyway. It went down before your air ran out. You'd really have to try to die from the water.

>> No.9282259

Haven't played this in years.

Someone give me a spoiler-free guide on how to get the best ending. Skip the machine gun, skip the booster, get the tow cable, what else?

>> No.9282265

>>9282253
If you fall down and it rises up while you're still down there, you'll run out of air just before it lowers past you.

>> No.9282322

This makes me depressed at how shit indie games turned out in the west

>> No.9282377

>>9282322
There are a few Western indie game development forums that have regular output, so there's a chance we're missing something good without realizing it.

I know what you mean, though. Japan's gems have a more underdog charm to them. "I worked on this game by myself for five years, please wait warmly until it is ready." rather than "HERE'S MY INFINIMINER CLONE GIEB MONIE PLX." I'm actually a little sad that games like Cave Story, Yume Nikki, ABA Games, and even Touhou aren't well-recognized in the West (at least, not outside of the usual weeaboo circles).

You shouldn't kid yourself into thinking the doujin scene is great, though. There's a lot of shit and drama out there.

>> No.9282424

>>9282259
What you trade in your polar star for has no bearing on the ending. It's just that the machine gun is a pretty crap weapon for the late and post-game, and what you get for skipping the booster will obsolete its flight powers anyway.

In The Labyrinth, a character is going to fall down a pit out of nowhere. Don't follow him; instead, jump across the pit. It's a long gap and there's an overhang over the opposite end, but there's a red mark on the floor that shows where to jump. Save before you do it.

Soon after, you'll come to big, ominous room where you need to open doors. When you open them all, head all the way down to the lower right corner and investigate the glittery bit. You'll get the tow cable.

After the next event, talk to your partner before you walk out the door. Then leave and save.

In the next area there's a door on a ledge you need to get too. This is frustrating; the spot you need to jump from is RIGHT after a current, and there's another one right in front of you, and it's really easy to trip into it and miss the jump. There's ALSO a bat on the ledge that could knock you into the current. Keep trying until you get to the door.

In this little shack, use the bed, then the bookcase, then the bed again, then the bed AGAIN, then leave. I probably got that wrong; just thoroughly investigate the house, and DO NOT LEAVE without everything you came in with, and not without pumping the water out of the stuff you're carrying.

If you've done all this right, you should get a weird message after the next boss. Did you know she had a brother?

When you get back to town, you can reap the rewards for all this shit. If you skipped the booster, go to the house with the teleporter to get one awesome item, then use it to go aaaaall the way up to the top of the town, where you can renter an earlier area and trade in the polar star for the spur.

>> No.9282432

>>9282259
>>9282424
BUT THERE'S STILL MORE.
Much, much latter in the game, in a out-of-the-way alcove near the water, with one of those green hooded guys, you'll find someone. Talk to both of them a few times, then go back to the graveyard and enter the upper room. Talk to the thing here until it give you something. Then talk to it again. After a boss fight, you'll get ANOTHER item; take this back to the person you found and give it to them. There'll be some revelations about the island, and the person will give you yet another item.

If you've gotten both this item and the item you get from skipping the booster, you'll have unlocked the good ending. You've still got two very hard levels to go through (bring weapons that function well at low levels, like the blade, spur, or nemesis. You'll NEED them,) but all the unlocking's done now. Just continue playing the game, and during the escape sequence, a door that would normally be locked will be open. Good luck.

>> No.9282441

>>9282424
>>9282432
Thank you, this is perfect. I can remember some of the things you're alluding to and those are some crafty explanations.

>> No.9282442

>>9282377
Some japanese indie developers do the same thing. A lot of touhou fangames are copies of other games with different sprites.

I think western developers give that impression because digital distribution is more widespread on this side of the globe.

>> No.9282555

Does the PSP version have any downside over the PC one? I'd love to play it in bed.

>> No.9282585

wait, you can save the girl? that is BULLSHIT.

>> No.9282876

>>9282585
Oh, stop whining. It's a reason to replay an awesome game.

>> No.9282882

>>9282555
It doesn't>>9282555

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action