[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 437 KB, 800x650, Angry Nitori.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9236416 No.9236416 [Reply] [Original]

So everything that happens in the Touhou games doesn't matter at all?

After reading PMiSS, it seems that Spell Card rules came about because youkai were getting so strong that a battle between them could tear Gensokyo in half. That's fine, but apparently the only reason youkai create "incidents" that humans must resolve is that, without the cycle of youkai creating incidents and humans resolving them, youkai would fade into nothing? So all of the Touhou games were about people/youkai PRETENDING to stir up trouble JUST SO the shrine maiden or whoever else could come in and stop them?

This is annoying. I understand that Touhou is supposed to be silly and light-hearted, but it's seriously to the point that the 'bad guys' just go, "Uh oh, I'm causing trouble! You had better come and stop me, good guys!" followed by "Oh man, you got me! I have been defeated, and my plans have been foiled! I'll get you next time, good guys!"

>> No.9236426

Thats how real life works? God you are dumb.

>> No.9236430

They're not pretending, and there are no "bad guys."

>> No.9236435

someone ban this guy

>> No.9236436
File: 355 KB, 700x817, please respond and they did.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If your existence is based on being infamous and preying upon humans, and you end up living in a harmonic balance, you're kind of forced to act the villain role. Deal with it.

>> No.9236439

>>9236416
> Touhou is silly and light-hearted
/discussion

You are digging too deep. Stop it. Calm down and just take it easy. PMiSS and SoPM are only *relatively* canon anyway. You should not care about them TOO much.

>> No.9236447

>>9236430

PMiSS makes it seem like the Spell Card rules came out NOT ONLY because fighting could destroy Gensokyo, but because humans and youkai HAD to fight, or else... youkai would fade away or something. It was kind of vague.

It made it seem like no one was ever trying to seriously stir up trouble for their own reasons; as if youkai caused incidents solely for the sake of playing with spell cards.

>> No.9236464

>>9236447
> as if youkai caused incidents solely for the sake of playing with spell cards.
And for the sake of having some fun. Make giant sakura bloom. Build a pseudonuclear reactor. Play with the weather.
Why not?

>> No.9236481

>>9236447
Touhous can fight each other all day every day, they don't need to cause any incidents for that.

>> No.9236529

>>9236464

Because I want there to be SOME more meaning than 'lol let's fuck with things for our own amusement until the playable characters come beat us up'. I'm not saying that the games ought to all become as dramatic as Utsuho of the Void, but I'd like to feel like I'm accomplishing something, story-wise, when I play these games, more than "Welp, looks like some childlike women want to get beat up, so I'm off to go beat up some childlike women."

I guess I'll just have to settle for what >>9236439 said. Oh well.

>> No.9236546

>>9236447
>It was kind of vague.
Touhou canon in a nutshell.
It's all open to interpretation. Believe what you want to believe.

>> No.9236681

>>9236529
>Because I want there to be SOME more meaning than 'lol let's fuck with things for our own amusement until the playable characters come beat us up'. I'm not saying that the games ought to all become as dramatic as Utsuho of the Void, but I'd like to feel like I'm accomplishing something, story-wise, when I play these games, more than "Welp, looks like some childlike women want to get beat up, so I'm off to go beat up some childlike women."
Try some other setting then. Something edgy, deep, serious as fuck... well, you know the drill. No offence.

>>9236546
Exactly.

>> No.9236953

Youkai aren't pretending or doing it just so Reimu will show up and beat them. They have things they want and need to cause trouble to survive, so they go and do it until somebody stops them.

But most of the games don't fit what Akyuu said, anyway. Many didn't even have youkai behind them. So I think those ideas are only broadly true. There are many minor incidents too so the games aren't the entire set of what goes on.

Nobody's all that serious though.

>> No.9236987

>>9236416
No, whatever Akyuu writes doesn't matter. She is darkening the clouds all the time so youkai remain baaaaaad. That's her job.

>> No.9237044

>>9236987
And as far as I remember some youkai even asked her to write them as scary and badass as possible.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action