[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 801 KB, 1920x1200, Koi-to-Senkyo-to-Chocolate..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9080548 No.9080548 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone want this translated? I liked it so I might want to translate it.

>> No.9080571

Better sub the anime.

>> No.9080584

>girl hating chocolate
what the hell is this

>> No.9080631

it was pretty mediocre
chisato was unbearably annoying (doubly so because you're locked into her route the first playthrough) and the whole chocolate epiphany felt silly
politic aspect felt cheap and shallow, that guy with no face was horrible because we were supposed to take him seriously and feel the drama when he was just silly
last route goes SRS FUCKING BSNS out of the blue

>> No.9080920

I would persoally be thrilled. I actually found it nice and charming.
Or that's my impression from my limited understanding of the trial at least.

>> No.9081013

No, it's fucking horrible.

>> No.9081029

Looks cute. Go for it.

>> No.9081263

>>9080631

Wow yeah, I'm always surprised when an eroge is just a shallow excuse to show off cute girls.

>> No.9081274

It's better than Da Capo isn't it?
And Da Capo was still sort of nice for what it did.

>> No.9081286

I certainly wouldn't say no. It looks cute, and it seems to have fairly high ratings.

>> No.9081363
File: 518 KB, 850x1052, choklit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like these two

>> No.9081653

Well I looked into it and I'd need to contact a Russian hacker to make the scripts editable so it is possible.
I probably won't do it since I just saw the summer line-up for anime, and you guys don't seem to like it.

>> No.9081666

Why are you asking people for their opinion? If they need a translation to play it properly, then they obviously aren't in any position to judge it and decide whether it's good or not. Is attention whoring the only thing that drives you? go back to tlwiki fag

>> No.9081668

Yeah, go for it.

>> No.9081673

>>9081666

I agree, too many translations and we'll see anime-esque online faggotry regarding VNs and eroge more than ever. Let people work for it.

>> No.9081680

>>9081666
Attention is the driving force behind free subs. Fuck off with your wish that people pay for for it.

>> No.9081694

>unrequited love
>dramatic love triangle

Someone spoil this to me in detail please.

>> No.9081703

>>9081673
I'm not saying we need less translations. What we need is less attention whoring. You should just translate what you think is good. We had "translators" posting with tripcodes and attentionwhoring in /a/ back when the Steins Gate VN was being translated and after the hype died down it turned out that only one of them actually knew how to read Japanese.

>> No.9081706

>>9081666
Because they can vouch to the quality of the story.

I'll try to contact the hacker and then I'll try to find an editor interested in this. Maybe I'll try to finish Chinami route before the anime comes out. I'll drop by again after my contact with the russian dude to find an editor.

>> No.9081709

>>9081680

Downloading eroge is easy as pissing. Reading them should not be for the subhumans who haven't bothered to learn the language and yet act like they understand the medium.

>> No.9081719

>>9081703

>/a/

Well there's the problem.

>> No.9081745

>>9081709
It's just an eroge, anon. There's not much to get.

>> No.9081756

I didn't play it, but it was decent enough to have an anime coming out soon, so people would probably pretty hyped for a TL project

I say go ahead, but I honestly can't give a go ahead as there might be better stuff to TL, but once again, I didn't play, I'll play the psp remake after the anime airs since I assume there will be one

>> No.9081769

>>9081745
/jp/ thinks anything that Japan shits on their plate is ambrosia.

>> No.9081869

>>9081694
Anyone?

Even if the translation never materializes, this'll come in handy when the anime comes out.

>> No.9081882

>>9081745

Watch people start dissecting them and calling them masterpieces and handing them awards.

As the light novel market dries up more eroge will get adapted into anime, before long people will be making eroge with the intention of it being eventually animated. We'll see eroge sutema, and getchu sales will be frequently debated and the one with the most sales will be hailed as the best.

denpa songs will go mainstream, yaraon will buy out uso900, KyoAni will start releasing games and 0verflow will start thier * Days shit up again. Mediocricy will reach new heights.

>> No.9081905

>>9081882
>people will be making eroge with the intention of it being eventually animated

And then the Eroge market will dry up like the Light novel one did. Then light novels will be vogue again.

When they start sacrificing quality for money is when the market dies.

>> No.9081915

>>9081905
Thats what happened to anime around year 2000. They started pushing out anime designed to be picked up by America, and it all went to shit.

>> No.9081942

>>9081905

Isn't this exactly why anime now is so shit?

>> No.9081962

>>9081942
Anime is shit because they are not making shows that cater to your specific tastes.

Its also more formulated than it should be so they are taking little risk and producing bland shows. They are still making to many shows per season.

>> No.9081977

>>9081962

Anime is catering to my specific tastes, but executing it all wrong. I stopped caring when the "moe" stereotype became airhead schoolgirl mary sues.

Milky Holmes is the only worthwhile franchise and it seems like it has the same foundations as Galaxy Angel.

>> No.9082021

I'd read it if you translated it.

>> No.9082034

>>9081882

KyoAni actually just got into publishing LN stuff, even doing CMs for new releases and an adaptation of one in the works.

>> No.9082043

>>9082034
they said that they'd book stuff out to whoever paid,

kadokawa started shoving it down their throats

and they still want to keep their idea of only working on one project at a time for quality's sake

so we'll never get more of the shows they already started

>> No.9082048 [DELETED] 

>>9082043
oh yah, and I forgot to say that they started going ln stuff 10 years ago when they made their company,

thats not really just getting into ln stuff

>> No.9082081

>>9081962

I agree. Might sound a bit extreme but I'd like the anime industry to get hit HARD by the economy.

I chat to a friend of mine in Japan who works part time in Gamers in Akihabara and he says that Akihabara has changed heavily ever since they built the private railway in 2005. Apparently, the increase of commuters passing through has led to a lot more commercial Shibuya interests being brought into Akihabara and the press etc. are reporting about Akiba like it's a sightseeing place for tourists - only advertising maid cafes and the mainstream anime stores (Like gamers).

Apparently Akihabara has become too commercially oriented, which is why the anime industry is getting so much funding at the moment, this is also why Akibaranger was made. Akihabara used to feel more like a batchelor location, now it's full of riajuu which has killed the vibe of the place, small stores are struggling to stay open nowadays, and make most of their money from Touhou and Doujin goods. The top floor of Nakano Broadway is where the otaku go now, but most won't venture there from outside of the area like they would Akihabara.

People on 2ch are also trying to sabotage BD pre-order data on amazon by pre-ordering and cancelling at the last minute.

>> No.9082142

>>9082081
So what, I'm supposed to be sad that the mainstream is appropriating otaku interests or something?

Because that's the best fucking thing that happened to the industry since the last pre-2000 boom.

Catering to otaku is the main fucking reason the industry is in such a pathetic state and most things coming out are formulaic and stale.

Good riddance, the creators need to embrace the new demographics with all their might.

>> No.9082190

>>9082142

Otaku have long since changed. The reason anime is selling so high isn't because these same otaku are buying it, it's because wannabe otaku are buying it because of the sudden media fascination with otaku in recent years. Blame Densha Otoko.

>> No.9082231
File: 25 KB, 464x384, revenge of the nerds.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9082190
Nerds is cool now.

>> No.9082235

>>9082190
Shit, nigga, "otaku" isn't some fucking status symbol that only the real deal true fans have a right to.

The sooner we get away from that retarded compartmentalized mentality, the better.

>> No.9082304

>>9082235

It pretty much is though. An otaku has always been characterised by extremely obsessive interests in something, it doesn't have the same naunce as 'nerd' or 'geek'. But ever since they were brought to mainstream attention companies new it was a good marketing tool.

"if you're OTAKU you'll buy this" "Items for your OTAKU life"...you can see them everywhere on the internet. Shit, Danny Choo has made a living marketing the word. Now everyone can be a part of the cool 'otaku' fashion.

It's the nature of the word. Some of the first mentions of 'otaku' in english media were in old 1980s cyberpunk novels where they described computer otaku.

>> No.9082339

>>9082235
This. Like "nerd" and "geek" which are similar terms, identifying as one is obnoxious.

A good example would be "hacker" (in the proper sense of the word). It's okay to say you were talking to hackers or you're a part of a certain hacker community or whatever, but as an individual it's only a term that can be conferred on you by someone else. Whenever I see a blog that says "ABOUT: I'm James, a 15-year-old hacker and Python extraodinaire!" I want to kick a horse. Same with people who describe themselves as "otaku".

>> No.9082356

>>9082339

I don't advertise myself as otaku either but there is clear distinction between someone who wants to be otaku and someone who actually is. it's like the difference between /a/ and /jp/.

>> No.9082366

>>9082356
You don't actually still believe that /jp/ is full of "otaku elites" after all these years, do you?

>> No.9082384

>>9082304
Yes, exactly, it's "someone really into something".

No matter how, or when, they learned of it.

It does not, and it should not mean someone who just blindly consume the same retarded rehashed drivel with nary a complaint.

People are just fucking mad that new people are getting into the interests they thought their own and the creators are starting to slowly change to accommodate the new people.

The old-school otaku were oftentimes developmentally stunted menchildren who got into the whole culture by never outgrowing their childhood interests.

The new crowd is people who are largely normal, who despite having a normal social capacity and better rounded taste in entertainment find something worthwhile in the few pearls among the otaku entertainment.

We need more of those people so the creators can start to slowly go out of their shells and create works for people who didn't grow up in the cultural void of otaku entertainment, and can actually recognize and appreciate things in a broader context instead of the narrow scope that the otaku operate in.

>> No.9082394

>>9082384
That sounds awful.

>> No.9082401

>>9082384
But how come the reverse is happening.
We are getting more and more loser NEET or fatass MC that have a harem of cute girls fall into his lap?

The irony is that, it is the normals that like show like Madoka or K-On.

>> No.9082434

>>9082366

No, but you're more likely to find actual otaku on /jp/ than you are /a/.

>>9082384

You might be right, but I doubt it will last. Most of the "otaku" are just consuming and liking things because they want to be otaku, when they realise that being otaku is not a glamorous elite club they will drop out and perception of "otaku" will go back to how it was.

>> No.9082471

>>9082401
Harem's have always been there, there always will be.

Is Madoka a harem?

Is K-ON a harem?

K-ON is actually a great example - the first season followed the manga pretty close and leveraged the moe factor, but then they realized they can get away with not catering to otaku and made the absolutely great, heartfelt second season without all those pitfalls and a healthy dose of character development. This is why I want more normal people watching anime.

>> No.9082478

>>9081694
>>9081869
Did anyone here even read this VN, dammit?

>> No.9082532

>>9082384
Well put.

I got into all this Japanese stuff originally because it was different, and I liked that. I basically want my tastes to be challenged and to explore new things. But that's not what sells to otaku, so it rarely happens.

Anime/manga/games don't have to "cheapen" themselves to be more accessible to normal people who aren't really interested in them. They're not that kind of medium. You can make a great product and have it loved by otaku and average Joes alike, some even hitting the mainstream. Studio Ghibli is a good example because almost everyone I have asked has seen a Ghibli film and enjoyed it. Their films haven't really been aimed at the mecha/moe/whatever otaku crowds, yet those demographics often loved them as much as the general public did.

The more people who get into these things, the more diverse it will become. When I was in school a couple of friends asked me for anime suggestions and I had fun giving each one different recommendations. If they were all [insert otaku stereotype here] then I'd give them all the same things, and that's largely what the industry is doing.

Go out and spread the word about Japanophilia, /jp/. Break free from your NEET coves and encourage a more rich and diverse array of media.

>> No.9082563

>>9082471
>Harem's have always been there, there always will be.
Yes but it seems like we are having 10000000000x more of them now compare to years ago and the MC is starting to get more and more pathetic so that their targeted loser demographic can relate to them.
I dont know if this is cause by the LN boom.

>> No.9082577

>>9082471
I liked both K-On! seasons. It’s probably my favourite anime series.
I often watch it, or some episodes, again.

>> No.9082624

It sucks that this shitty thread will never get deleted because the beginning is on-topic.

>> No.9082629

>>9082624
And your ass is pained because you are a super elite otaku and such talk is tainting your precious servers?

>> No.9082631

>>9082471

I think K-ON marks a crucial difference between old otaku and new "otaku".

"Moe" has and always will be a feeling, but when people used to describe a typical "moe" character back in the late 90s/early 2000s it would be a robot maid nekomimi megane clumsy girl with green hair. Slightly overboard example of course, but you see what I mean - it was very much an anime thing you had to be an otaku to understand.

Now, "moe" is just a generic cute girl who can do no wrong and is slightly airheaded. It's something you don't need to be an "otaku" to relate to. It's like anime has ever so slightly been marketed towards normalfags more.

If you made an anime about an otaku who was a loser in the 90s, most otaku wouldn't like it because they watched anime to escape from the reality of their life.

Nowadays, it's like they're saying "Hey look, NEETs and OTAKU and HIKIKOMORI are so cool!! You can relate to these stereotypes because you strive to be them so much!"

>> No.9082682
File: 793 KB, 1494x2166, 842427.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9082631
>maid nekomimi megane clumsy girl with green hair
Why not a maid robot megane clumsy girl with dark blue hair?

>I think K-ON marks a crucial difference between old otaku and new "otaku".
Eh. Think of AD… And when I think of an otaku-are-cool show I think of Lucky Star. Although that’s more otaku-are-kawaii-careless-girls-with-stunted-growth.

K-On! is just enjoyable. I don’t really need my entertainment to cater towards otaku only.

>> No.9082690

>>9082563
There's not that much more.

The LN boom is a part of it, sure, but before during the galge boom there was a similar amount of harem shows compared to the total output.

If we move close to two decades in the past, it's only then that thinks start looking different, because the industry and the demographics were drastically different.

>>9082631

The only people stuck on 'moe' are old-school otaku. And fuck, this is passing too, at least in Japan.

The only people who think that K-ON is popular because of moe are western otaku who never actually watched it.

>> No.9082703

>>9082563
>the MC is starting to get more and more pathetic so that their targeted loser demographic can relate to them.

This doesn't bother me. I don't mind if the main character is an otaku or unpopular or whatever. It's a common thing in stories, particularly teen films. Some guy is a bit down on his luck, you relate a little, you want him to get the girl.

What bothers me is how effortless it all is. He meets girl A in some unusual circumstance, therefore she falls in love with him. Then girl B appears and she's a childhood friend who has always been in love with him. Girl C is jealous of his relationship between girl A and girl B, so she decides to fall in love with him instead. The MC has done fuck all for these people to like him, yet they all automatically do. And a recent trend is that he's perverted and outright unlikeable, so it makes zero sense for these people to care about him.
Even in a 25 minute first episode, you can at least make the characters believable without alienating your audience. A lot of people would be _more_ impressed if the characters got to know each other or had some serious reason to be in love, without just "he gave her a tissue while she was crying LOVE GET" or "they were childhood friends and she's loved him since they were six there's a flashback in episode 7 we can prove it". Or have characters not even like each other then gradually form a relationship (without being tsundere).

Obviously I'm talking about anime but a lot of this applies to VNs too.

>> No.9082704

>>9082690

I don't think your comment was aimed at me but I watched both series of K-ON. I don't think it's popular because of "moe" though. But I'd say Mio's "Moe Moe Kyun" phrase seemed to bring the term back out of the grave for a while.

>> No.9082718

>>9082631
>Now, "moe" is just a generic cute girl who can do no wrong and is slightly airheaded. It's something you don't need to be an "otaku" to relate to. It's like anime has ever so slightly been marketed towards normalfags more.

You know, now that I think about it, imagine such a character in Western media. She'd be the ditzy blonde in a teen movie.
That's not kawaii.

That's not kawaii at all.

>> No.9082721

>>9082703

The thing is, this mainly comes from Eroge. Eroge is escapism, you don't always want totally real, you want fantasy.

When they adapt eroge into anime they're trying to cater to fans of the eroge, not just random fans of anime. So the girls and story will be a bit idealistic compared to most ani-ota standards, but for the fans of the eroge it's a perfect way to bring the girls to animated life.

>> No.9082724

>>9082631
>Nowadays, it's like they're saying "Hey look, NEETs and OTAKU and HIKIKOMORI are so cool!! You can relate to these stereotypes because you strive to be them so much!"

What's funny about this is that series like NHK ni Youkoso! and Genshiken are this to a T.

And yet, they're the complete opposite.

>> No.9082728

>>9082721
Did you ever read a single eroge in your entire life.

>> No.9082736

>>9082728

Yes, I played the original ToHeart when it was still relatively new and people were making a deal about it.

>> No.9082765

>>9082721

I suppose that's true. In fact, I quite like supernatural causes that explain it, even if they're gimmicky. He's the last surviving Devil so he needs to pick a woman. A group of elves need to refill their mana by finding a male to marry and have sex with. Aki McFortunate can psychically make bishojos want to fuck him. They can be cheesy, but at least they have a clear explanation as to why a harem is formed.

It's the real life/high school stuff that I take fault with. I'm probably going to piss a few people off, but Kodaka in Haganai was completely unremarkable and the girls had no real reason to even care about him beyond the fact that he exists and is there. Maybe it's because people don't want to see a protagonist actively try to woo a certain girl (or they WANT to see a protagonist actively try to a woo a certain girl), but it doesn't feel real enough to match the setting.

>> No.9082767

>>9082724

I've always seen NHK and Genshiken in a similar vein to Comic Party, it was more of a look at these way of lives.

I'm talking about series that have come out in the past few years like The World God Only Knows, Setiokai no Ichizon, that one about the Hikki detective, OreImo, Boku Tomodachi, Haruka no Himitsu, Penguin Musume Heart etc. trying to glorify otaku hobbies so that the wannabes can relate to them and they sell more.

It was Densha Otoko which started this shit, it was never cool to be otaku before that kicked off. Once the masses latched on, it became a pseudo-cool label to wear, and every anime shop started using it. Danny Choo's blog started up and books like "Otacool" start being sold to capitalise on the obsession.

It'll go underground again, once there's no more money to be made from the masses it will become a dirty word.

>> No.9082776

http://web.archive.org/web/20051104075447/http://matthew.animeblogger.net/archives/2005/07/20/wednes
day_notes_akamatsu-sensei_talks_moe.php

Ken Akamatsu knows what's up.

>> No.9082777

M-my secret club!

>> No.9082778

>>9082765

I think as soon as something gets popular, people will try and do knock-off versions. By nowadays standard ToHeart has a really cliche plot, but it's only cliche because it was such a popular game and spawned a lot of copycats who tried to do the same but with much worse writing.

Enough of these clones and eventually it becomes the standard for the younger generation of eroge fans. It's like the 2ch copipe:

面白い人が面白いことをする
        ↓
面白いから凡人が集まってくる
        ↓
住み着いた凡人が居場所を守るために主張し始める
        ↓
面白い人が見切りをつけて居なくなる
        ↓
残った凡人が面白くないことをする
        ↓
面白くないので皆居なくなる

>> No.9082789

>>9082767
>It was Densha Otoko which started this shit
This seems a strange thing to say. It didn't exactly glorify otaku, and there are popular anime and manga series that pre-date it. Keep in mind that Densha Otoko was published in 2004, and the movie came out in 2005. Otaku stuff was on the way up before that (you always hear those puritans complaining about how anime sold out in the 90s, for instance).

>> No.9082808

>>9082789

I'm not really talking about how anime sold out. I think that's a different discussion for another day. Anime has only gotten more popular so each generation will think that X era is responsible and the one before that will think that Y era is responsible and so forth.

But I think as far as popularizing "otaku" goes, densha otoko is at least a big catalyst if nothing else. It was mainly the TV drama that got everyone going.

>> No.9082811

>>9082721
Bullshit.
Eroge was and is never easy.

The first time I played True Love, I was trying to bang that purple hair nurse.
Guess what happened, she left me after the 1night stand while the childhood friend ignore me.

>> No.9082843

>>9082811

I never said it was easy, but many of the "girls love him unexplainably" VN-adaption anime you complained about come from eroge with incredibly idealized plotlines.

Take Shuffle for example, by anime standards it's ridiculous. If you tried making a TV show like that you'd fail, but because it's an eroge adaption, it can stretch reality to fit the ideals of the player/watcher.

>> No.9082864

>>9082843
That is cause by bad adaptation.
The first To Heart didnt suffer from this problem.
It was nice seeing Akari walking with the MC at the end.

>> No.9082872

>>9082864

ToHeart is still one of my favorite series of all time.

>> No.9082891

I blame No Longer Human. Does nothing but glorify a good for nothing loser that gets a bunch of chicks only to kick them to the curb.

>> No.9083974
File: 63 KB, 720x720, currybuttbelievesinyou.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I liked it. It's one of the better moege I played last year.

You would be doing a great service to us, OP, and I'm sure the vocal minority that tries to destroy translators Japanese spirit will try to thwart your self esteem but you must stay strong, not abandon the project, and put it out in a reasonable time frame to prove them all wrong.

I believe in you.

>> No.9083974,1 [INTERNAL] 

There is some good commentary on the otaku scene here, it's not often this gets brought up much but I have followed the Japanese otaku scene for some time and believed this to be happening. just wanted to comment, this thread is good reading for others who are interested.

>> No.9083974,2 [INTERNAL] 

>>9083974,1
I kind of skimmed through it, I like the commentary from that one individual (>>9082767,>>9082631), thanks for bringing the thread to my attention wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

>> No.9083974,3 [INTERNAL] 

>>9083974,2
Those are literally your posts.

>> No.9083974,4 [INTERNAL] 

>>9083974,3
No, no they aren't. I've never even seen this thread before, why are you so paranoid?

>> No.9083974,5 [INTERNAL] 

>>9083974,4
I've got my eyes on you.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action