[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 52 KB, 454x435, bigpicture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8758041 No.8758041 [Reply] [Original]

Moviebob/The Big Picture did another video relating to immature, sexist/racist whatever behaviour from gamers recently, which you may have seen. It applies pretty well to general nerd culture and especially Otaku culture.

"It's part of the culture" isn't really an excuse, and he's right, there shouldn't be a place for doing things like that, at least certainly not something that is about GAMING, or ANIME, or VNs or whatever. There's never any follow up remark to it either, that's it, it's the full argument. If you act like an asshole I don't think you should fall back on excuse of "oh this is how Otaku act" or whatever. Nerds can complain about being excluded or misrepresented, but are often the first to do so themselves.

/jp/ is really strange in specific because a lot of people seem to have their own idea of acceptable behaviours here - some seriously seem to think you should be a NEET to post here, etc., and ironically people who are more socially successful(but may still lack friends with common interests, being just as lonely), may feel excluded. I've seen some of this happen in one of the /jp/ related IRC channels especially.

Here's the new video as well as 2 older ones on the same sort of subject:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5436-Not-Okay

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/4719-Gender-Games

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2783-Correctitude

I know trolls will troll, but for the rest of you, just don't be a jerk guys. /jp/ has a reputation for a lot of this and it'll only attract more trolls and shitposting.

>> No.8758048

Moviebob/The Whiny Fat Fuck also said gamers are whiny entitled bitches because they didn't like the ending of Mass Effect 3 (despite not beating any of the games).

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-68-crass-effect

>> No.8758049

get a life

>> No.8758051

>>8758049
This

>> No.8758060

W-who gives a shit, reported.

>> No.8758062

>>8758049

... I actually have one though, relative to the rest of /jp/.

>>8758048

Alright, yeah, that's pretty fucking stupid and I hate that attitude. I'll have to watch that video, I'm very disappointed though as those 3 videos are pretty spot on. People will always have dumb opinions to some degree though, best to take them individually if you can.

>> No.8758063

Nobody gives a shit nerd.

>> No.8758067

>>8758060

this is an on-topic thread. moot even said these kinds of threads were fine around the time when /vg/ were made. Some of the janitors/mods don't seem to agree, but I'm still not incorrect in posting it. It's about Otaku culture and it's an interesting discussion about people tend to draw up artificial standards for themselves.

If you don't like a thread like this, just step out of it and find another more stimulating one about stapling Marisa's face or something.

Again this is part of what I'm talking about. Calling a discussion you don't like "Shitposting" and saging reporting is just accepted as "Part of the culture" here, when really it should be looked down on.

Anyway, no more meta comments. Discuss it or don't, but be mature about it.

>> No.8758075

Let's get this shit slinging down to business

So how bout rape?
If a woman gets drunk and you fuck her, you raped her.
Yet if a man gets drunk and cosigns a loan he's still liable. If he gets drunk and drives, he still goes to jail.

So how bout abortion and child support
Woman's choice what to do about a kid. Man has no say. Woman pops out kid man would rather not have, and now he's paying for the next twenty years of his life.

Did you know that six times as many men kill each year as women?

>> No.8758077
File: 21 KB, 1045x82, tranny.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sorry, but that's just how 4chan works. Quit taking it so seriously. If you want a sharing caring hugbox community that shoves political correctness down everyone's throats, might I suggest SomethingAwful?

>> No.8758080

>>8758075

I'm glad you call it shit slinging at least, and not valid arguments, since it's easy to cherry pick to distort an overall picture when the list going in the opposite direction is much longer(though often dismissed off hand, predictably).

You should have a certain level of conduct in any community to stop it turning to shit. Assholes attract bigger assholes and nobody but the nastiest pieces of work win in the end.

>> No.8758083

Go soapbox on /v/ retard

>> No.8758085

>>8758077

You know, if you're going to post in this thread, how about watching the videos that debunks the irrational, childish reasoning that post uses?

Specifically the one on "Correctitude". Political correctness is the vast majority of time used by assholes to defend an otherwise indefensible statement. You can instantly switch from being a sociopath to a defender of free.

There are some people who will go too far in the opposite direction, but somehow it *never seems to bother people like you*, when it goes in the regular direction, which is most of the time.

If you're going to be an asshole, at least be honest about it. And again, "it's part of the culture" isn't an excuse, because you can't back it up with reasoning.

>> No.8758084

>>8758041
Who gives a shit.
Reported and bring your drama back to IRC.

>> No.8758087

> Calling a discussion you don't like "Shitposting" and
> saging reporting is just accepted as "Part of the
> culture" here, when really it should be looked down
> on.
It "should" be looked down on? That sounds
subjective.

>> No.8758090

>>8758084
>doesn't give a shit
>bothers to reply
>bothers to report, when it's not against the rules

They should make a board solely for Internet Tough Guys to compare how little a shit they in fact give, to try and keep them off everywhere else. That would be an acceptable compromise.

>> No.8758097

>>8758075

whoops, missed a word there

>Did you know that six times as many men kill themselves each year as women?

Be back to see Princess still trolling the shit out of everyone in 200 posts

>> No.8758094

>>8758087

That's how you put forward an actual argument. You say something "should" be. Again don't get into MUH FREE SPEECH and acting like you're some kind of defender of justice when the opposite is most likely true.

>> No.8758107

>>8758097
If things get that bad, we could always hijack the thread with some album sharing. So not all is lost.
I need some 2012 shoegaze anyways.

>> No.8758118 [DELETED] 

>>8758097

If I were to reply to those with the same level of tact as an "anti-misandrist" -

>So how bout rape?
If a woman gets drunk and you fuck her, you raped her.
>Yet if a man gets drunk and cosigns a loan he's still liable. If he gets drunk and drives, he still goes to jail.

Man's fault for being such a dumbass. If he knows this ahead of time, what's the excuse? Plus everyone would call that woman a slut no matter but the verdict, but the guy becomes a fucking hero if it's proven false.

>So how bout abortion and child support
Woman's choice what to do about a kid. Man has no say.

Man doesn't have to carry the baby, you pansy faggot. If he cared about what happened to his sperm that much he wouldn't have masturbated at pictures of her sister.

>Woman pops out kid man would rather not have, and now he's paying for the next twenty years of his life.

Slut should have watched where he put his penis.

>Did you know that six times as many men kill each year as women?

Pussies.

If I were an "anti-misandrist", this would apparently be an acceptable tone to take. I think this illustrates my original point quite well.

>> No.8758123

>>8758094
You're trying to invoke change in a place where nobody
but you actually wants change. It's a one-man rebellion.

>> No.8758122

>>8758085

Why would I waste time listening to that sheltered hambeast whining about inconsequential shit? I could spend that time raping a bunch of slutty women in Rance.

>> No.8758124
File: 1.42 MB, 1417x1417, front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8758107
I've been listening to Charles Mingus lately and I'm enjoying his albums a lot more than I remember.

>> No.8758126
File: 54 KB, 363x1082, 1279479238552.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thread needs athens.

>> No.8758127

>>8758097

If I were to reply to those with the same level of tact as an "anti-misandrist" -

>So how bout rape?
>If a woman gets drunk and you fuck her, you raped her.
>Yet if a man gets drunk and cosigns a loan he's still liable. If he gets drunk and drives, he still goes to jail.

Man's fault for being such a dumbass. If he knows this ahead of time, what's the excuse? Why was he looking for such an easy fuck in the first place? Plus everyone would call that woman a slut no matter but the verdict, but the guy becomes a fucking hero if it's proven false.

>So how bout abortion and child support
>Woman's choice what to do about a kid. Man has no say.

Man doesn't have to carry the baby, you pansy faggot. If he cared about what happened to his sperm that much he wouldn't have masturbated furiously at pictures of her sister.

>Woman pops out kid man would rather not have, and now he's paying for the next twenty years of his life.

Slut should have watched where he put his penis.

>Did you know that six times as many men kill each year as women?

Pussies.

If I were an "anti-misandrist", this would apparently be an acceptable tone to take. I think this illustrates my original point quite well.

>> No.8758130

>>8758123

It's a change plenty of people outside of here would want to. There aren't many places to discuss the subject matter of /jp/ and I've seen plenty of comments from anons getting tired of the predictably misogynistic or internet tough guy humour, anyway.

>> No.8758131

I'm with you OP. I don't like movieBob but he makes points I agree with in this three videos.

but what now?

>> No.8758137

>>8758130

Tell those crybabies to man the fuck up and stop getting their feelings hurt by words. Whatever happened to "sticks and stones..."?

>> No.8758136
File: 159 KB, 600x600, albumart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8758107
Great timing.
I am currently uploading their whole discography.
http://www.mediafire.com/?a5w1tgcasdx3w
All of them are in lossless except for Photograph of Phantasmagoria.
Also does anyone have 水蜜桃?
Cant find this anywhere. I got the songs from Tone Box -outside- but it is only 192kbps.

>> No.8758138

>>8758131

>but what now

You report the thread

>> No.8758139

>>8758041
who is this fat retrad sperging over video gaems? is it you? lol get a life nred

>> No.8758140
File: 2.13 MB, 1787x1389, Front Cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Also, the Takacs Quartet performances of Beethoven's late string quartets are very good.

>> No.8758143

I don't need to watch a shitty video to get that most "gamers" are retards. I just need to browse kotaku for 5 minutes.

>> No.8758146
File: 6 KB, 300x300, paul-leonard-morgan-filmtales-album-artwork-50786.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8758124
/mu/ sharethreads are the last bastion of hope for them. I love them ever so much.

>> No.8758148

>>8758137

Better social models?

also, don't tell someone you're reporting their thread. That means your posts will get reported in turn, and they'd be more likely to get dealth with and end up in a bad if you've been samefagging rigorously.

>>8758131

Educate, or spread the word. If I wasn't the only one saying this it'd probably make a lot of difference and make a lot more people feel comfortable here. This is just babbies not wanting to share their toys on a larger scale.

>> No.8758153

>bawww people don't treat me like I want
>normalfags have rights too bawwww

Reported.

>> No.8758157

>>8758136

I find the usual crystal retardation and someone is collecting N-Tone albums together? That's lucky.

>> No.8758158

The problem here is that "bad" is subjective.
> Moviebob: There shouldn't be any place where it's okay, because it's not okay!
But that's all subjective shit. His entire argument is "My morals are right, everyone elses are wrong! Time to force my morals on every online community that has morals incompatible with mine!"

>> No.8758163
File: 43 KB, 501x585, 1330317779619.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8758153
>report thread because I disagree with the OP and can't into meaningful discussion
>That'll show 'em!

>> No.8758166

>>8758163
_________________Reported_________________

>> No.8758165
File: 160 KB, 600x600, etiquettecover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love you, Creedence.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wtjsvbc3sjt

>> No.8758167

>>8758148

Sure, but I just will caution against the word educate, for two reasons. It shows the contempt you have for those who don't think like you AND implies that all that's wrong with bigots and mysoginist is lack of education ("they don't knw better").

Many know better, they jus't don't want a change. Are you kidding?! It is a sweet deal!

>> No.8758171

>>8758041
>>8758062
>>8758067
>>8758080
>>8758085
>>8758090
>>8758094
>>8758127
>>8758130
>>8758148

I am offended by these posts. They hurt my feelings. And your rights end where my feelings begin. Please remove these hurtful, hateful posts.

>> No.8758168

>>8758158

He makes a rational argument for why "his" morals should be the accepted ones, which is something, again "It's part of the culture"-fags NEVER do, since that is there entire argument, backed up with typical 15 year old tough guy "cry some moar" shit.

In the real world we do actually have to discuss things to determine what's right and can't just in dumb isolationalist lolbertarian fairy lands.

>> No.8758177

You fail to see that there is a place in 4chan to discuss nearly everything that goes on in /jp/. You don't have to be a NEET to accept the culture

>> No.8758179

> Moviebob: That's not censorship; that's fairness.
Wow, yeah.
I don't like that kind of speech!
It's objectively bad!
Ban it now!
Yeah, definitely not censorship.

>> No.8758184

Who the fuck is moviebob and who the fuck gives a damn about the escapist? The yahtzee golden age is long gone and their forums are all cringeworthy pretentious bullshit.

>> No.8758186
File: 127 KB, 778x768, cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Let's not talk about Movieblob. Let's talk about music instead.

>> No.8758188

>>8758177
/jp/ barely has a culture anymore.

I see most of it as humor. If you are actually a sexist, racist or whatever you need some lessons in taking it easy.

>> No.8758194
File: 394 KB, 800x880, eced67688101761294378a408f2ff6ad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8758186

OK! Who here likes Dempa music?

>> No.8758196

>>8758177
>NEET to accept the culture
Goddamm, you do know the whole NEET thing is just half joking and even if it is real people can pretend to be one.
Employment and education status has no bearing what soever in any /jp/ discussion.
OP is so retarded that he cant grasp this concept and resorted to whining about all these so call internet tuff guy bullying.

>> No.8758209

>>8758194
forgot my link

http://pastebin.com/S6748H4K

>> No.8758216

>>8758194
How do I get back into denpa?
I stopped listening to them after Under17 went into hiatus.

>> No.8758241

>>8758216

Get out of depression first and just dive into it again

>> No.8758273

>>8758136
Is that all lossless or something?

Only instance I see of 水蜜桃 is on some dead torrent which probably did the same as you.

What IS tone box -outside- anyways, N-tone doesn't list it in their own discography page, and it makes it hard to search without running in to the regular tone box album, was -outside- just someone's favorite tracks put in a .rar?

>> No.8758287

I still don't quite grasp why I should care. Everyone on this board understands why being "nicer", less sexist, racist, isolationist would be probably be the solution to make as many users happy as possible. Everyone does. However, while knowing this, NOBODY CARES.

Nobody here wants to be a role model, be nice, act rational, normal, look after other people. We here like to live in our own bubble and pretend we're all people with the same interests and that we're some sort of hivemind the 'outside' doesn't understand. We here like it that way. Everyone else should fuck off.
Nobody actually cares either if he's working, a non-virgin or whatever if revealing that is part of the discussion either. We just like to believe we're all the same, who are you to tell us it's wrong? Who are you to decide how we should form our community? Now kindly fuck off.

Reported, sage, hidden and called the cops.

>> No.8758293

>>8758273
Yes all lossless except for PoP.
Tone Box -outside- contains the songs not in the Tone Box album. They uploaded it for free on their website but it is in 192kbps.
Would be appreciated if someone got higher quality version for 水蜜桃 or Photograph of Phantasmagoria.

>> No.8758314

> I'm bob, and that's the big picture.
Your big picture, maybe. But it's most certainly not my big picture.

>> No.8758326

>>8758196

You say that, but then a lot of threads get seriously derailed because the OP gives any indication of having an actual life or interests outside /jp/.

>Your big picture, maybe. But it's most certainly not my big picture.

But he's actually able to defend his, it's logically consistent. You can't. I suppose that's a good time to /thread for now.

>> No.8758319

>>8758062
THAT IS JUST FASCINATING INFORMATION COULD YOU TELL US MORE ABOUT YOUR EXCITING LIFE? I AM VERY HONORED TO BE SPEAKING TO YOU.

>> No.8758336

>>8758326

Please stop posting, you are offending me.

>> No.8758339

>>8758326
> But he's actually able to defend his
Except he doesn't. He never explains why sexism is not okay, but bases all of his arguments off of that point.

>> No.8758357

>>8758136
All instances I see of PoP are the same 55mb archive, even on share.

Regardless, I appreciate your efforts

Only vaguely relatedly, ヒツジシツジ still hasn;t shown up anywhere.

>> No.8758374
File: 39 KB, 650x365, 7624742872468.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8758326
Games are sexist because they exist within capitalism, which is a sexist system. You can't change them without changing capitalism. "It's part of the culture" IS a sufficient argument, because the "culture" is actually a SUBculture, which is imposed by and relies on the aforementioned dominant system. No matter how much you yell individually on /jp/, you aren't going to make games (and subsequently gamers) less sexist/racist, because the ones who control their production (capitalists), are inherently sexist/racist, not necessarily as individuals, but (necessarily) as a system.

If you want to combat sexism/racism, do it where it matters, in workplaces, where niggers and women are being payed less just because they are niggers and women. Then and only then, you might have a chance to block racism and sexism from video games.

There, that's the big picture. Now delete your thread, I can't take so much concentrated bullshit.

>> No.8758387

I've never visited escapistmagazine.com before and it looks like I've made the correct choice. Clicked on the Silent Hill HD article on the front page and it's pure nonsense (who would have guessed when it's alongside Mass Effect 3 controversy articles). They're pretty much putting words in Ito's mouth; I read his twitter earlier today.

I'm just not one for Sankaku/kotaku-tier overblown news sites for the masses anymore. But as for the thread topic I don't really need a video to tell me that "gamers" are retarded or whatever. They got that whole website there and many others out there to prove it.

>> No.8758385
File: 49 KB, 265x247, 1324315309900.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8758374
Why are you wasting your time on concentrated bullshit thread? And PotC for that matter.

>> No.8758388
File: 193 KB, 520x853, 1325785345847.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8758339
>He never explains why sexism is not okay,

Is this really what we are as a culture? I'm out.

>> No.8758398

>>8758339

I don't see why you would possibly need someone to tell you this, but some of his other videos do. Extra Credits also ran a few things explaining why certain sexist things shouldn't be acceptable.

If you're some teenage nihilist determined to be edgy, then nobody is going to be able to convince you. However the argument presented here is still by far the best one presented on the subject, isn't just shitflinging, bating or trolling, so it's what we should go with until we find something better.

>> No.8758402

>>8758388

Close the door on your way out.

>> No.8758400

>>8758385
Because she could be addressing these issues along with people who can make a difference and spend her time constructively, instead of bothering /jp/.

>> No.8758403

That feel when otaku / hikki / neet culture is the new counter culture. The old counter culture (which was essentially a loose grouping of advocates for social justice) have now become the precedent. They've all grown up and become professors and politicians, they dictate the course which society must take and they demand all of the following:

☑ Respect women
☑ Don't be racist
☑ Be proactive
☑ Never sexualize children
☑ Contribute to society

As such a reactionary counter culture of marginalized young men has developed on the internet. The normalfags of today will want to stamp us out at all costs just as the normalfags of yesteryear attempted to stamp out anyone who stood against the previous zeitgeist.

By remaining ever vigilant and being jerks on /jp/ we are filling a vital societal role in the grand scope of all civilization.

>> No.8758409

>>8758388
>>8758398
Put your trip back on before you start sucking more of that Movieblob cock, PotC.

>> No.8758412

>>8758387
congrats on the marriage

>> No.8758414

>>8758287
THIS.

>> No.8758438

Taking any form of anti-sexism seriously is very hard when "equal treatment" apparently means getting on your hands and knees and kissing their feet.

>> No.8758441

>>8758400
Do we need to help them do that? Not really.

>> No.8758443

Oh man, now I understand completely!
Sexism is objectively bad!
Racism is objectively bad!
Homophobia is objectively bad!
The magical moral fairy said so, so it must be true!

>> No.8758446

I've been posting here since the split and have never encountered a single case of sexism/racism outside of obvious trolls trying to stir up shit for laughs. No idea what OP is going on about.

>> No.8758454

>>8758446
Its pretty much potc's gimmick

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action