[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 143 KB, 700x1080, 1297053867809.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8692503 No.8692503 [Reply] [Original]

Do you guys think it's possible to artificially induce an autistic spectrum disorder?

As a kid I was introverted but relatively socially active and had no issue, as far as I can recall, with general interactions. At some point in my adolescence I sort of took a break from all social obligation and well here I am 6 years later in a very similar position. Familiar stuff to most you, I'm certain. Anyways I've as of late become somewhat paranoid about the notion that I am possibly being perceived as socially retarded by others while simultaneously being unaware of this and as such being unable to self-regulate my behavior. I go throughout most of the day without saying a word, due to both this fear and the fact that I am still pretty heavily introverted.

Examine the position you're in. How can you be sure you don't actually legitimately have autism?

>> No.8692505

Yes.

Just browse /jp/ for a couple of weeks.

>> No.8692513
File: 52 KB, 370x268, 1330654977976.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't know what the fuck I am reading.

Nice Kokoro you got there.

>> No.8692517

Must put penis in Kokoro-chan!

>> No.8692529

I don't think it's possible to artificially induce an autistic spectrum disorder, I do believe it's possible for someone who has been capable of functioning at a higher level to fail to keep it up, and vice versa though.

As for if I think I legitimately have autism, on the few occasions I've taken any of the tests related to it I've always scored shockingly low (when low signifies a high chance of autism), always in the lowest bracket, but I don't put much weight in questionnaires. I've got two that need filling out by the 20th for a psychologist and it upsets me looking at them, knowing this ridiculous bullshit is going to be used.

>> No.8692531

>>8692505
I've been here for almost three years. What does that make me?

>> No.8692535

I don't want to sound overdramatic, but over the years I've noticed my mind deteriorating somewhat. I smile and laugh at a lot of things for really no reason, and I find myself talking to myself all the time and laughing to myself. Last night I went out to get some Jiffy Pop and I checked each one at the store to make sure I got the one with the strongest handle on it.

Then I went to check out the juice and I started whistling and spinning the Jiffy Pop on my finger and occasionally slicing with it like some kind of sword. Then I went to check out the meat and laughed at how thin the pork chops were cut. They were very thin.

I've also noticed that I'm having more and more trouble finding words mid-sentence than ever before as well, and I'm having more and more trouble explaining things to people. I find myself even pronouncing words completely wrong, or like a baby. I definitely talk to myself a lot more than I did in the past. More than in the past, I think about and see things that make me giggle. I've also started to become really suspicious and overthink a lot of things, much more than ever before. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this in the past, but something about people and the world just seems too perfect. I lay awake at night just thinking about how weird people are, and then I start to wonder what reality actually is.

I wonder if I'm going to develop any kind of mental disorders at this rate.

>> No.8692536

>>8692531
You are so autist there was a buffer overflow and now you are a super social alpha.

When you go to bed tonight leave your swagger on and see what happens.

>> No.8692539
File: 430 KB, 1920x1200, kokorochanhandban.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8692517

KOKORO CHAN IU NA

>> No.8692547

Looking at /jp/ makes you autistic, or at the very least, it subconsciously influences you to act like an autistic person would act. This is a well known fact among /jp/ers.

As far as I understand, there's some debate in the medical community over whether less severe cases of "autism" actually count as a real disorder, or are just the "personality" of the patient, i.e., all in the patient's head. I'm no expert on the matter though.

>> No.8692568

I'm guessing that social behavior and attitude is both learned and maintained. Maybe it comes naturally for some people, but for others it's probably more consciously learned and requires maintenance to keep up appearances.

If you don't do anything for six years, you're probably going to be rusty at it when you start up again.

>>8692503
Being in /jp/ has probably changed my overall attitude on life. I was just thinking that to myself while I was flipping the best-sellers and magazines at a newsstand earlier today.

>> No.8692576

Shying away from social situations is not autism. Honestly if the only people around you are shitty then you are better off by yourself. In today's society of everyone trying to be roid raging faux-Italian Jersey Shore oompah loompahs that just want to drink and fuck all day, that's probably the case for everyone. I have seen so many people try to force themselves to go into relationships, fraternities, and other bullshit because it's NORMAL and expected of them, and, for the most part, it ends horribly. Don't force friendships or relationships because you feel you have to, wait for generally good people to come along and stick with them.

>> No.8692583

If you're that self aware of your own psychological state, you're probably autistic.

Social interactions don't come naturally to you. You think through social situations with logic rather than your brain subconsciously evaluating your relationships with people, body language, context, etc.

>> No.8692588

>>8692576
>Honestly if the only people around you are shitty then you are better off by yourself.

I was thinking that earlier today in one of my imaginary conversations. An anxiety disorder implies abnormal and pathological fear. Fear is a survival mechanism that influences you to avoid negative experiences, when every interaction with another human has been negative bar those with less than a handful of people, isn't it justified?

>> No.8692589

>>8692503
>>How can you be sure you don't actually legitimately have autism?

You go to a doctor and figure it out then.

Although I do think a large number of highly introverted people do not know how to deal with their introversion. Then it ends up getting the best of them in some way.

>> No.8692607

>>8692588

Sure. But I think it takes encountering just one good person to dispel that fear.

>> No.8692628
File: 70 KB, 671x1000, 1331246631999.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8692535
I don't ever browse /jp/ and just came here from the archive to get that pasta that you guys always spam, but what you're describing is EXACTLY what I'm experiencing. Especially the part about having trouble finding words and mispronouncing them; it has gotten to the point at which I have this "here we go again, god I hate this shit"-feeling whenever I'm about to explain something because I know it's going to be extremely hard for me.
When I was younger, I was one of the more rhetorically skilled kids, so this whole development is rather distressing, given that I might have been of some use to the world, but now I can't anymore because my mind is only getting worse, not just language-wise.

So much for that.

>> No.8692629

>>8692607
Oh I have one. Probably the closest I'll ever get to loving someone, he's essentially saved my life - talking to him is the one thing I can truly say I enjoy.

>> No.8692706

Most forms of autism spectrum disorders develop in early childhood, so it's probably not autism. Don't quote me on that though. The brain is very plastic however, if you don't practice something for a long time you'll soon "unlearn" it, but if you pick it back up you can often return back to your previous threshold taking less time to learn it than the first time.

e.g., If I learned Japanese at age 10 for a year, never practiced it for a decade, i'd probably forget about most of it. However, if I picked it back up, I could get back to my original skill level in say 6 mos., which means I retained *some* information but just couldn't express it.

See: Ebbinghaus' concept of learning savings and latent learning.~

>> No.8692710

>>8692706
it is worth noting that brain plasticity decreases with age

>> No.8692739

>>8692710

Yeah. But most of that decrease occurs before puberty. You can rest assured that you will never be as precocious as you once were when you were a toddler.~

>> No.8692741

>>8692739
please stop bumping the thread. and no, i know you aren't using nokosage since the thread keeps bumping to page 1.

>> No.8692743

You're born with autism. if you were social as a kid, you don't have autism.

>> No.8692751

Thread reported.

>> No.8694693

>>8692589
congrats on the marriage

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action