[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 47 KB, 680x578, 1330250277437.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8621675 No.8621675 [Reply] [Original]

Was college worth it /jp/?

>> No.8621692

I only took one single college class. It was JPN101. I didn't pay for it and I didn't particularly mind going to the classes, but I didn't learn anything. I took them in autumn so atleast the weather was nice while I was waiting for the classes to begin. I always showed up an hour early so I wouldn't be late. I have no cellphone so I really just kind of sat there before each class.

>> No.8621698
File: 22 KB, 225x285, 1315824598555.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

yes, the first two semesters were more fruitful than my whole life before university.

>> No.8621701

>>8621692
This. Except that I met other otakuns and the majority of my classmates were non-ugly girls. I should have taken the placement test because intro to jp is pretty fucking retarded but I felt like a god in that class. I placed into 223 second semester. That class sucked because everyone was either a loner who was only interested in learning kanji or chinese so they already knew it and lorded it over everyone else. Also, sausagefest.

>> No.8621706 [DELETED] 

I dropped out of college after my frist semister. Got lazy and didn't go to most of my classes for like a two month period, didn't do my homwork and ended up failing two classes.

>> No.8621709

I dropped out of college after my frist semister. Got lazy and didn't go to most of my classes for like a two month period, didn't do my homwork and ended up failing two classes.

>> No.8621713

>>8621701
There were just eight people in my class, and I was always paired up with (not to sound like an ass) the student who did the worst out of us. I don't think he ever learned to read.

>> No.8621717

I got to be a lazy manchild for about 2 years. I say it was decent.

>> No.8621721

College fucking sucks, but I have nowhere else to go. If I drop out, I'll have to get my own apartment and work 40 hours/week at minimum wage to pay my own way. My parents told me straight up that I couldn't come back except for two months in summer.

I wish I had parents that would support me as a NEET.

>> No.8621730

>>8621721
Not everyone can be like Sudo.

>> No.8621733

Like so many others, the one class I looked forward to was taking JP but it ended being a joke. If you plan on seriously learning it, start on your own otherwise it'll become a waste of money. Actually, I did meet a lot of friends in my introductory courses so it paid off in a way.

Later in life, will you be able to utilize your degree or the courses you took? College is only worth it if you make the most of it in your own way. Good luck to you all.

>> No.8621766
File: 214 KB, 500x700, 1315772392577.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>taking jp classes
>wondering why college is so shitty

>> No.8621820

I wouldn't mind staying there two more years, great experience learning CS.
Can't even imagine how it would be like to drop out of college, you just call it quits and be NEET for the rest of the year, or work at McDonald's? Damn those first world problems!

>> No.8621822

That one month I spent isolating myself in my student apartment before I dropped out was one of the best months of my life.

>> No.8621851
File: 57 KB, 300x300, nanoha-gorilla.1209697832592.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I found it to be both otaku culture and reported.

>> No.8621862

Fucking sucked. I thought it would be different from highschool and boy was I wrong. I'd only take 3 classes a semester (at the most) and be lucky to only fail one. I'm just not cut out for the education atmosphere, my mind wanders too much.
Also I could only afford a shitty community college so everyone already knew eachother from their highschools and there was no japanese class. The worst parts were the days when a class would let out early or reschedule late and I'd have to sit in my car or hide in the library for an hour.

I did feel better though because I could come home and feel like I was going somewhere with my life. Working just makes you feel like you're stuck forever making $9 an hour and being exhausted and being a NEET is like that but without the $9.

>> No.8621876

I wouldn't have my current job without my degree, so yeah it was worth it. I also was able to take some Japanese classes that gave me a good foundation for my later self-study of the language (by self-study I mean playing eroge).

>> No.8622123

It was and is. I came out with two BSs, one in electrical engineering and one in computer engineering. Now I'm working on my PhD. PhDs positions are one of the few positions where they hire weird and quirky people because most PhDs are weird and quirky. Plus I enjoy what I do. Would recommend college for something science, engineering or math related. If you're just going to get some degree in 18 century art and don't plan on teaching it, the only thing your doing is racking up debt.

>> No.8622128

No. Experience and knowing people are more important.

>> No.8622136

>>8621862
>I'm just not cut out for the education atmosphere, my mind wanders too much

Same here. Shit sucks.
Also, the constant requirement for group work and shit like that drives me mad.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action