[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 1.09 MB, 1633x1250, 790408.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8597654 No.8597654 [Reply] [Original]

Sorry to bother you with this but I simply do not have any other place to ask.
People (on here) have suggested that I should go to therapy and get medicated. I think I'm having severe depression and social anxciety.
I've been trying to go see a doctor about this but I just can't get myself to do it. I'm just too scared.

What are your thoughts on therapy? Does it help? Is there anything to be done for a pathetic otaku as myself?

>> No.8597667

This is incredibly off topic, and I'm reporting this thread.

>> No.8597664

It's pointless. No. No.

>> No.8597669

You aren't going to get serious replies here, but I'll be nice because I went/am going through the same thing.

It does help, but only if you let it. You have to be dedicated to feeling better. If you think it won't work for you, or therapy is bullshit it's simply not going to do anything. It's all up to you and I wish you the best.

Now please stop posting offtopic things on this board and seek the help you need. If you ever feel really desperate you can call a hotline.

>> No.8597677

>>8597667
Anti-reported for not helping out fellow /jp/ers.

>> No.8597689

>>8597677
He's clearing not from around here.

And reported for shitposting.

>> No.8597690

One of the main problems with therapy is that its effectiveness is highly dependent upon the quality of the therapist, and there are a lot of bad therapists out there. If you ever do feel up to it, be sure you find a good one.

>> No.8597694

>>8597690
I'd argue that the dedication of the patient is just as paramount to successful therapy. Most people haphazardly seek help without the dedication involved in making positive changes to their lives and their thinking.

Depression is a tough thing to break out of because your own feelings are against you.

>> No.8597703

>>8597689

>>People (on here) have suggested that I should go to therapy and get medicated.
>>People (on here)

You just have trouble reading things. Be nice to your fellows, Anon.

>> No.8597704

>>8597689
If you're going to be a jackass and announce the fact you're reporting a thread instead of just reporting and hiding it like an intelligent individual, please spell correctly.

>> No.8597715

>>8597703
Reported for being gullible and shitposting.

>>8597704
NYET!

>> No.8597722

I wrote this for a fellow with a similar problem, but thread 404'd before I could post it:

Any therapist/doctor will tell you that what I'm about to say is bullshit, my own fault or that I'm just being delusional. I'm going to share my story anyway.

I've been going to many different therapists for more than 10 years before giving up on it.

I first went because I couldn't cope with university life and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety (a few more were added over the years). Medication, therapy, group therapy and I was somehow able to graduate. I don't think that anything helped, but not being alone and doing something against it made me push through. After graduation, I got a job working for a company selling medical supplies. Hell on earth. I lasted 3 years before I had a mental breakdown and got sent to a mental ward for a month. At this time I already had quiet a history of different therapists and different medications.

Lost my job, got on wellfare, more therapy, more meds. Fast forward 2 years.
The meds that worked best were antipsychotics. They numbed my mind enough for me to not give a fuck.
Therapy was allways just indoctrination into normalfag live. Brainwashing me into believing that I wanted all those things. It worked. Instead of hating the world like I used to do, I now hated myself. I really believed that my unhappiness came from my own shortcomings and that I would be happy if I got a normal life.

>> No.8597724

>>8597703

He is right that it's offtopic and doesn't belong here, but his method is all wrong. He should have simply reported the thread and moved on.

These self-righteous idiots that compulsively announce "HAHA I REPROTED U" in every thread are part of the problem.

They only encourage more shitposting in the long run.

>> No.8597729

>>8597722
Got a job again, made friends, even had a girlfried.
Well, it just didn't work. It did nothing for me. I was just as miserable as when I didn't want to go to university, oh so long ago. I just became a part of the world I hated. I told my therapist as much and all I got was: "It takes time." Oh, and another switch in medication. Of course.

I had enough. I would not have any part in this anymore. I confined myself to my room, stopped taking meds and waited for the depression to take over and get me to kill myself.
No such thing happened. I went from resignation to acceptance to peace. I realized that all the struggles and all the pain I have been going through came from me fighting my own nature. It was just the way I am. Nothing to be changed about it.

I'm now enjoying Anime/Manga/VNs during the day and working a night job with the bare minimum of of social contact. No friends. Life is simple. I'm happy.

Bottom line is this: Not once in all these years has anyone even considered that I'm not mentally ill, that I'm just a very sensible person with values that differentiate from society's norms.

I'm not saying that you shoudln't try, but remember this story and consider that maybe there's nothing wrong with you to begin with.

>> No.8597745

>>8597729
That's oddly touching.

>> No.8597775

OP, please see this: http://archive.foolz.us/jp/thread/7451727/

It has a lot of discussion on this subject AND people weren't dicks back then.

Good luck man.

>> No.8597800
File: 491 KB, 566x800, 1313179828682.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8597722
>>8597729
>>It's just the way I am. Nothing to be changed about it.

The world would be a better place IMO if more people realized this about themselves.

>> No.8597815

>>8597800
I don't normally agree with tripfags, but this time you are right.

I have felt better about myself since I just accepted what I can't change about myself.

>> No.8597833

I've been to a number of therapists and been on more anti-depressants than I can remember, and none of them have done any good.

>> No.8597842

>>8597837
You are so easy to filter, it's funny.

Maximum autism indeed.

>>8597833
Those drugs only serve to emotionally flatline you, no more, no less.

>> No.8597849

therapist are as effective as placebos

>> No.8597854

>>8597849
Except that isn't true, is it?

>> No.8597857

>>8597854
Over 6 years in therapy here. Sadly it is.

>> No.8597858

>>8597722
>>8597729
As someone who has backed out before getting a diagnosis because I absolutely loathe the idea of going to therapy, I appreciated reading this. Most people have been trying to tell me it's a bad decision, so it's nice to see someone who has seen it from my side and who can understand it.

I, too, find myself happy when I can be in charge of my life, take things in the direction I want. So why would I went to feel the misery I felt when I realized I was going to be diagnosed with aspergers and spend months or years in therapy?

>> No.8597867

Sooner or later, you'll have to explain how depression threads warrant all this attention, and are Otaku Culture.

>> No.8597869

>>8597867
Rule #1: Let them have their fun.

>> No.8597872

Therapists don't give a flying fuck. Just remember that, and it should help you get over any qualms. Have a friend or family member go with you.
I would recommend trying to avoid any drugs, since they tend to do more harm than good, and even they usually only have an effect 30% of the time.

Not thinking of yourself as pathetic might be a start too.

>> No.8597873

Good therapy helped more than any medication. And I can't stress this enough, most psych meds have far too many side effects to justify their use. And the worst part is that it takes months to determine if a dosage is working or not, so you're stuck there, not getting any better and suffering from whatever the current medication causes. And then comes the chains.
Sleeping pills for the insomnia caused by anti-anxiety meds that are for the anxiety attacks caused by the anti-depressants.

I had good results with CBT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy)) since it's not so unfocused, talking about your feelings or whatever happened to you that week. You have goals, exercises, all geared towards making you think in a different way.

Sure, my clinical depression was from a physiological source instead of a purely psychological, but I think the therapy really made a change for me.

Good luck OP. The first part is admitting that what you're going through is too much to go at it alone. Even if it's just to talk to someone at the beginning, go for it.
And make sure they have a good reason for whatever medication they try to give you. Use it as a last resort if you must, because it certainly doesn't help on all cases. It's not a magical "Feel happy about everything" pill.

>> No.8597875

>>8597857
Something not working for you does not mean it is not effective. Therapy exists because it is a useful means of managing the symptoms of mental illnesses. I am sure that, despite your negative thinking, some part of your life has improved thanks to the treatment you have received.

I would recommend therapy to anyone suffering from some sort of manageable mental disorder.

>> No.8597876

>>8597729
I am seeing a similar 'truth'. Or half-seeing.
My therapist made me realize some things and admit others. I wouldn't say he has been useless for me.
But he says some things that I can't interpret as anything else than 'you have to act like everybody else'.
I have to like more girls, not just the 0.1% that makes me take a second look. I have to make small talk; more than small talk: I have to show an interest and make social relationships. Things like that.
I admit my way of life hasn't exactly... worked, but I feel that if only I hadn't 'caught' this mental condition (whatever it may be) that has drained all my will to live (and a good portion of my mental faculties), I wouldn't even have to consider making small talk with normals and making myself like tattooed/pierced/[subjectively] unlikable girls.

But maybe acting like a normal is the right way to recover.

>> No.8597877

>>8597869
Seeing the janitor so heavily invested in saving threads that don't belong here, does not bode well.

Yeah, I'm glad we're seeing some moderation these days again, but this is just silly.

>> No.8597888

>>8597876
Recover from what, exactly?

>> No.8597898

>>8597729
>not mentally ill
>values that differentiate from society's norms

Sadly, that is effectively the modern definition of mental illness. I'm not saying I agree with it, but that is probably why no one ever even considered it––by definition you are mentally ill, however problematic that definition might be.

I think >>8597669 is pretty spot on about whether therapy will work or not for certain people. If your idea of mental health is in line with current social norms and you are willing to put in the effort, it'll probably do something for you.

Though, if nothing else, sometimes it's nice just to have someone to talk to without the social pressure.

>> No.8597903

Top of the front page, your favorite thread is doing great!

>> No.8597911

There's a lot of good meds for your problems, so that may be your main salvation. Theraphy doesn't work for everyone, so that may vary.

My suggestion, tell your mom or your dad that you have a serious problem, explain how these are serious mental problems, and that you have to get medicated. Then you will be dragged to the docs by them. If you have company and support, it may be easier. If you hate your parents and wouldn't do this... then you got no choice that build (from somewhere, I don't know) the character to get help.

A suggestion for your social anxiety: attend catholic churches, even if you're not catholic. The experience with the people out there may make you relax, you will see slowly that people is not judging you everytime, and the human contac (holding hands for prayer) may help you.

Good luck, bro. Ask here again if you keep having problems.

>> No.8597913

>>8597888
Except for a period of bliss caused by a certain person (read: endorphin flood), I haven't felt happiness, or even had the feeling of 'wanting to do something', in more than 5 years.
Right now, I think/feel my future consists of waiting until my mother dies, and then killing myself when money runs out.

Recover from that, I guess. It's not like I'm one of those happy NEETs who get pissed off when people tell them to 'be normal'.

>> No.8597915

>>8597873
Are you AoC?

I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and social anxiety disorder and several therapists, counsellors and social workers have recommended CBT. Unfortunately, various switchovers mean I have never actually received it. Would you say it is worth asking for?

Something I have considered (and was reading into a few minutes ago, actually) is that I may have an autism spectrum disorder. I very much doubt I have autistic disorder itself but after reading and watching testimonies from people diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, I can definitely relate. In fact I do not entirely understand how they are different from "normal" people, which I suppose is a sign in itself. The last psychiatrist I saw suggested I may have Asperger syndrome and I am on a waiting list to be properly diagnosed.

I know people joke a lot, but have any of you actually been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome? If so, please share your story.

>> No.8597918

Be honest and serious about it and it DOES help. You need to be willing to change first and foremost, otherwise it's just a waste of time and money. If you feel scared and/or uncomfortable, that's good; therapy is supposed to expose the things you don't like about yourself and reinforce that which you do.

I'm speaking from experience. I've been to two therapists. The first one didn't help at all because I spent most of my time lying to him--I wasn't ready.

Gather your courage and shop around for a therapist you feel you can work with. I don't recommend medication because it hurts more than it helps, but if you feel you need it, go for it. Just keep in mind that medication should only be temporary; use it until your physiological imbalances are evened out.

>> No.8597920

i've been through therapy and am still going to there to cure my HELLa messed up mind (i go bi-weekly), it's been working out so GOOD that people(anons) keep saying i'm not the origin'HELL wtH as HE was more of a jackass

>> No.8597923

/jp/ - Advice.

>> No.8597938

Nice, helpful people in /jp/... what is this feeling.. this warm feeling?

As someone who has found a therapist who didn't understand me at all, and quickly wanted to put me in isolation because they thought I was a danger to myself and others, mostly others...

I would say definitely go for it anyway. Just make sure you find a decent one. Get past the fear, but also do so cautiously. There are a lot of idiots in the occupation.

Find someone you can trust. And have them help you find a professional you can trust.

>> No.8597944

>>8597938
>what is this feeling.. this warm feeling?
Is your cock, getting hard and nice for me, dude.

>> No.8597947

>>8597920
>>origin'HELL

Awesome dude.

>> No.8597963

>>8597947
Quality posts.

>> No.8597965
File: 47 KB, 369x368, TH___THANKS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8597947

>> No.8597967

>>8597947
But not ``origin'HELL'' itself:
http://fuuka.warosu.org/jp/?task=search&search_text=%22origin%27hell%22

ALL THREADS MUST BE REPLIED TO.
ALL FUN MUST BE PURGED.

>> No.8597970

I met with someone once when I was younger.
I forgot what I was talking about, but I referenced something about normality, and his only response was "what is normal?"
It's the only thing I remember from years of different therapists, and it's stuck with me.

Try to find someone who is younger OP. and male. They are usually more understanding of social problems.

>> No.8597974
File: 10 KB, 429x410, looking__more.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8597967
FUN SUCKER. FUN SUCKER GO TO HELL

>> No.8597977

Thank goodness our janitor is around to make sure gems like these go untarnished.

>>8597920
>>8597947
>>8597965

>> No.8597979

>>8597915
Does it matter?

I do think it's worth looking for it, I really enjoyed the goal oriented approach instead of getting medication and talking about my feelings. The biggest point is that whenever you have any sort of bad thought, you automatically make up a list of things that objectively support or contradict such ideas. You start seeing that your internal reality is different from the factual reality and adjust your perception accordingly.

But what helped me the most was just accepting that I was sick. It's an illness, there's nothing to be ashamed of, and you're doing the hardest part, facing it and trying to get better instead of giving up and spiraling down into the rock bottom, self medicating yourself with drugs and alcohol because it numbs life enough.

So yeah, I recommend CBT. And don't overthink the autism spectrum thing, it's so vague by now that anyone with some level of social awkwardness gets that tag.

>> No.8597996

I like how the shitposters are starting to get more tolerable than the rulefags that spam kopipe. Stay classy.

>> No.8598026

Oh no, it fell off the front page for a few seconds, quick someone emergency bump this for him!

>> No.8598038

>>8598026
I just can't! I would feel too rude and all the pressure would be on me.

>> No.8598045

>>8598038
a wise friend of mine said if you're too scared of other /jp/ers then it'HELL be HELLa worse (worst?) in real life

>> No.8598059

You guys are so silly. Just because we now have moderation again doesn't mean that every little thing that is not specifically in the "board rules" is going to be deleted. We did really well without moderation most of the time, anyway. Whatever happened to taking it easy?

>> No.8598075

>>8598059
Isn't odd that specific posts in this thread were deleted, but trip circlejerks happening around them were completely left alone? What kind of moderation is that?

>> No.8598077

>>8598059
Nobody cares about your metashit, nerd.
Except for me. But don't respond to me.

>> No.8600305

>>8597654
Exercise. Seriously. Even if it's just walking. Exercise and make and effort to eat healthy and your quality of life will improve a huge amount. It might take a few weeks or even a month to kick in, but trust me. It works.

>> No.8600315

I go to therapy, too.
Just so I can have someone to talk to..

>> No.8600345

I know what you're going through, OP.
People scared the shit out of me. I didn't have friends. My family hated me.

I knew I needed something to help me.
I started exercising, I eat a little better, I read and write, and I also see a therapist.

Therapy alone will only do a little. You have to make active changes in your life to get better.

You can help yourself, OP.
I forced myself to talk to people on the phone (my weakest point of social anxieties) and I did it.
I'm better now.

I believe in you, OP.

>> No.8600359

Didn't read the thread, but all you need to do is man up.

Stop being a bitch and get angry. Just get mad as fuck.

I recommend reading Redbeard's "Might is Right".

If you agree with him, or get angry at him for being a piece of shit like I did, you'll end up doing better for it.

>> No.8600366

I am being involuntarily forced to go to one. I live on my own and take terrible care of myself. He didn't know how bad it was until he actually visited.

Needless to say, I am the shame of my family but my Dad still supports me.

>> No.8600369

>>8600364
?
what are you doing?

>> No.8600379

>>8600369
Being a faggot, as usual.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action