[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 178 KB, 485x600, b78ca8470ca1121a6ea74240973f4247.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8375390 No.8375390 [Reply] [Original]

Do you guys talk to yourselves?

For those of you that do, do you hold conversations with an imaginary person, or do you just make random comments/read things aloud or what?

I ask because my roommate does, even when I'm here and I find it very strange.

The most I've ever done, even when I was a shut-in, is laugh out loud or say things like 'oh god', 'fuck' etc. I can't understand people saying full sentences or holding conversations.

Also did anyone have/had imaginary friends?

>> No.8375399

I sometimes talk to myself a bit if I need to remember something. Like, "need to go find some batteries, need to go find some batteries." Or something like that. Only if I'm alone though.

If I feel really lonely I just turn the TV to a informercial channel and play that in the background. It makes me feel like I have friends over.

>> No.8375397

"Waifus" are basically imaginary friends. Autistic people like to imagine they're eating or sleeping with them.

>> No.8375401

you must be a really boring and uncreative person

>> No.8375400

i talk out loud a lot
i tell people "i'm verbalizing my thoughts"
i don't talk to an imaginary person or to anyone in particular when i'm doing it

>> No.8375417

>>8375397
Some people would argue that waifus are just another aspect of a person's persnality, but aren't you, too? Who I imagine you to be (or anyone else, really) and how I form that image in my mind comes from my past experiences and opinions. The human mind takes in the world and reshapes it in its own image.

>> No.8375424

I do it in my head, yeah. That's probably not that strange though.

>> No.8375423

I speak my thoughts because I feel like I'm being watched and I feel like I need to rationalize whatever I might be doing to whoever may be watching, but I realize that to whoever is listening it might sound like one half of a conversation.

I don't have conversations aloud with myself.

>> No.8375426
File: 102 KB, 480x540, maddisonWHOA COMPASS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

talking at yourself is completely normal!

having pretend conversations is completely normal!

talking to an uncontrollable, inaudible voice in your head that claims to be you or other people is probably completely normal!

talking to audible voices that other people can't hear but you can is not normal!

>> No.8375429

>>8375400
>"i'm verbalizing my thoughts"
Who are you...

>> No.8375468

Huh. So I guess maybe its more normal than I had thought. I just don't see the point, if I can keep it all in my thoughts, why say anything out loud unless its to get someone to hear me, imaginary or real.

I mean, I like to pretend my pillow is a girl when I'm sleeping but when I start talking to her I'll probably just go ahead and plan a trip to gensokyo.

>> No.8375487

I lost my inner person a long time ago. These days when I think I don't really think of much, it's only thoughts about what I should do next or hunger and the like. I wish I could regain it, it was great being able to hold something akin to an inner monologue when I was by myself which was all the time, even more so now.

>> No.8375489

On particularly autismal days, such as today in fact, I might mutter my thoughts and laugh and even scream in comical frustration. Sometimes I really do hold short conversations with myself.

Being alone really does get to you I guess.

>> No.8375505

I do it a little bit, a sentence every now and then. Talking to yourself is different from talking to someone who doesn't exist though. I have a roommate who I'm pretty sure does the latter and it's definitely unnerving.

>> No.8375502

I don't talk to myself, but because of that I had trouble vocalizing at all after 2 months of not talking at all.

>> No.8375503

I have imaginary friends I talk to in my mind. There is a big world they live in that I explore. When I'm bored I lay around and spend hours there.

I really wish I was joking, kind of.

>> No.8375523

>>8375503
>I really wish I was joking
Why? That sounds fun.

As per OP, yes, I do talk to myself. Usually when I'm in a good mood.

>> No.8375526

>>8375487
These I don't think at all*

I feel rather empty. According to my therapist my brain is active but I don't feel like it. I only remotely feel somewhat sentient being here. Otherwise I just feel like an animal waiting for the next meal/distraction.

>> No.8375530

>>8375400
I do the same. My sister considers it the same thing as talking to yourself and brings it up every time she finds me doing it.

>> No.8375533

I usually talk like someone else is helping me do whatever I'm doing. Like "alright we got this" or "calm down it's fine."

I'm talking to myself like talking to an imaginary person I guess, but I exist so not really.

>> No.8375538

>>8375503
I kind of do this but it's more like a made up setting with a character I created in my place.

>> No.8375540
File: 254 KB, 750x1050, d0c5ca828f2938eeaefc6e7afdfa2f32.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8375503
That sounds familiar.

>> No.8375566

>>8375503
That sounds pretty neat actually. Sometimes I lay in bed for an hour or 2 after waking up, just in a made up world of delusions, but they all focus around me, or at least me in the place of characters in shows etc. All in all this is probably less healthy then talking to ones self...

>>8375487
I can't even imagine not having an inner monologue. I daydream a LOT.

>> No.8375590

I talk as if people were watching my every move, and I was commenting on it all.

>> No.8375605

I used to lecture myself with a distinct voice.

Then I went to see a psychologist and the voice went away.

Right now I want to see if I can turn the voice back on.

>> No.8375611

Yeah, I talk to myself but I don't have an imaginary friend. I do it a lot at night, its become a habit I suppose and since I live alone I don't have to worry about creeping anyone out.

>> No.8375678

I often speak my thoughts out aloud. It helps me collect and organize my thoughts. I usually do this when writing a paper for a class or preparing for something similar as to where i would be arranging a lot of information. It also helps in translating information from my thoughts to sentences, creating more natural flowing sentences.

When I do this, I'm not speaking to an "imaginary friend", I'm just strictly spouting out my thoughts.

>> No.8375696

Totally related you piece of shiet motherfucker

>> No.8376103

I frequently speak out my thoughts out loud.
I often even ask myself questions, so if I speak that out loud it might seem like a conversation.

Even then though, I frequently skip entire paragraphs of thought, so the "conversation" at hand becomes rather stumped.
It also helps if I want to remember some paragraph from a book, game, or article or whatever.

It's supposedly a healthier alternative to simply being quiet all the time.

>> No.8376161

I talk to my cat sometimes.

>> No.8376219

I don't speak outloud but I often have mental monologues where I imagine myself debating something or composing an essay. sometimes I post what I come up with /jp/ but I usually end up typing it out and deleting it.

>> No.8376276

>>8376161
That doesn't count.

>> No.8376324

>>8376219
Oh hey I do that too. Well except for typing it out, and I keep it entirely in my head without speaking. I hold one sided debates and back my opinions, and also play the devils advocate with myself to see if I can support my beliefs from every angle. I do this about everything from politics to games to religion.

Sometimes I'll be explaining something as if someone that didn't understand was asking me.

Right now I'm learning another language and I find this really useful to improve my speaking skills, even though it's all in my head, I could just as easily be saying everything aloud.

>> No.8376346

I say things aloud from time to time. Mostly to assure myself that it's grammatically correct.

>> No.8376371

I talk to myself because I have no friends

>> No.8376380

I have conversations with myself regularly. I categorize different types of thoughts into different imaginary people. I've done it for years now, but whenever other people are around I keep the conversations in my head.

>> No.8376401

I usually talk to myself, in the literal meaning of the word, and when I do, I refer to myself as 'we'. Like, "Alright, we're going to finish this (_____) now. Let's go!"

Though I do it under my breath, so people don't understand exactly what I'm saying. I also hold conversations with myself, like debating philosophical shit. It's a good time killer. As such, I have potential to be the most patient man on Earth.

I talk normally to others, though.

>> No.8376410

I converse with an imaginary person or audience in my mind when I'm contemplating things. When there's nothing on my mind, I just say ridiculous shit and laugh to myself or I act like a little girl. Lately, I've taken on an "ojousama loli" persona.

>> No.8376413

I have long, drawn out "philosophical" conversations with myself providing arguments and counterarguments in a loud voice when my parents are gone.

I also like to listen to classical music in the car and pretend I'm a composer while talking to myself if its at night when nobody can see each other.

>> No.8376419

>>8375400
I was worried that I was the only one.

>> No.8376433

>>8375566
>Sometimes I lay in bed for an hour or 2 after waking up, just in a made up world of delusions, but they all focus around me, or at least me in the place of characters in shows etc.
I do this every day. I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

>> No.8376441

I play rock paper scissors with both my hands, but the left hand always loses. I ought to punish it for losing.

>> No.8376442

Whenever I find something to be really interesting, I spend a bunch of time pretending that I'm explaining it to someone. This can sometimes branch out into two hour long conversations with nobody about many different things. While I do this, I usually pace back and forth and occasionally stare into a mirror.

>> No.8376482

>>8376442
I do this, but I sit down and stare "past" things. I usually lock myself in the bathroom and end up spending over an hour. I can only imagine how crazy I would look to someone else.

>> No.8376545

Sometimes I afraid that other people can somehow know what I thinking about. During these times I intentionally try to silence any internal monologue and focus purely on whatever I am doing.

I get the feeling that whenever I talk to people I bore them to death telling about shit nobody cares about, and that they are only listening out of charity.

>> No.8376614

>>8376545
>I get the feeling that whenever I talk to people I bore them to death telling about shit nobody cares about, and that they are only listening out of charity.
Same here. I don't talk very much anymore.

>> No.8376616

Sometimes when I'm on the toilet I pretend I'm being interviewed, I take on the persona of a divegrass player, game designer or a music producer.

Also 4chan won't let me post Niku sitting on the toilet.

>> No.8376657

The only time I ever talk out loud to myself is when I'm horribly depressed and I'm trying to cheer myself up. It usually works for a bit.

Except when it doesn't work and I start saying the most cruel things I can possibly imagine to myself and cry for hours.

Also having imaginary conversations in my head of how some situations might turn out, but I think that's mostly normal. Until I start daydreaming for hours wishing I had a better life.

>> No.8376699

>>8376614
By experience, they are, and so was I. I reckon that's what this "socializing" is all about.

>> No.8376710

>>8375390
>>8375390
I keep talking to myself the whole day, but I keep it inside. I don't see any reason to voice it out loud as I'm the only one listening, so it won't make a difference.
Nevertheless, I don't see much difference from this to actually yelling your thoughts, as I also interpretate different pseudonyms too.

>> No.8376714

>>8375533
This is what I do. I also think aloud really often, or read what I'm typing aloud. I also tend to read characters' lines aloud.

>> No.8376718

>>8376699
Again, same here.
It's funny how it works really.

>> No.8376724

>>8376657
>Also having imaginary conversations in my head of how some situations might turn out
Same here, guess it's quite normal. I specially engage in those when doing manual/boring activities or walking, when I end up entering on auto-mode, so times 'pass by faster'. But I usually get too absorbed in it, and I even ended up lost a couple times.

>> No.8376786

I talk out loud to myself all the time. Any random thing pops into my head, I work through it vocally. Thinking about it is boring and can easily get sidetracked if your mind wanders. Plus the looks my fellow employees give me when I do it are hysterical.

>> No.8376798

/jp/ - Autism Symptom Discussion Culture

>> No.8376807

I talk to myself like a little girl talking to her big brother.

>> No.8376834

I often wonder what percentage of us should probably be seeing a mental health professional.

Anyway, does anyone else feel like your chest, especially inside your ribcage, is... empty? I can't really think of any other way to describe it.

>> No.8376844

I live by myself, not because people hate me, but rather because I like my own company. I constantly talk to myself, hold conversations and such, but don't feel someone else's presence around me. I guess the ones that do are schizophrenic....

However, my parents told me as a child I had an imaginary friend, which could have been because I had no friends (because I didn't communicate until I was 4).

>> No.8376846

As Anon>8375423< said, i also helps to hear the thought out loud too.

>> No.8376854

>>8376834
Isn't it? I mean, the rib cage's purpose is to protect your lungs and your lungs are, well, not very full.

>> No.8376875

Not really. Well, nothing past ahahah what the fuck or other reactions.
Besides, I usually talk to people on Skype/IRC, and my mother is always here, so it isn't that much of a problem.

>> No.8376885

I do, because it helps me imagine a better quality visualization, memorize things, and I just like hearing myself talk really.

Though I do talk to some stuffed animals, but I think that's just something that stuck with me from my childhood. Might be crazy, whatever works.

>> No.8376900

>>8376854
No, i mean like, despite you living and breathing and even feeling your lungs and heart sometimes, it feels like someone took a melon baller to it and just cleared it out. Just like your chest is a big, cold hole.

>> No.8376907

>>8376900
Kind of, if I focus on it. Not in a way that bothers me though

>> No.8376910

I do, but only when my neighbor is out. Not conversations, but small bits of thoughts. What >>8375400 said sounds about right.

Though I feel when I do it too often that I start to lose my grip on my sanity. That might be an overreaction though.

>> No.8376913

>>8376907
Oh alright then.

>>8376910
Same here.

>> No.8376931

>>8376900
"The sitting practice of meditation is the means to rediscover basic goodness, and beyond that, it is the means to awaken this genuine heart within yourself. When you sit upright but relaxed in the posture of meditation your heart is naked. When you awaken your heart in this way, you find, to your surprise, that your heart is empty. ... Your entire being is exposed - to yourself, first of all but to others as well. ... If you search for awakened heart, if you put your hand through your rib cage and feel for it, there is nothing there except for tenderness. You feel sore and soft, and if you open your eyes to the rest of the world, you feel tremendous sadness." (pg 45) "The genuine heart of sadness comes from feeling that your nonexistent heart is full. You would like to spill you heart's blood, give you heart to others. For the warrior, this experience of sad and tender heart is what gives birth to fearlessness. Conventionally, being fearless means that you are not afraid... Real fearlessness is the product of tenderness. It comes from letting the world tickle your heart, you raw and beautiful heart. You are willing to open up, without resistance or shyness, and face the world. You are willing to share your heart with others."

>> No.8376929

>>8376834
No, but occasionally my heart feels extremely weak/not there and breathing/talking becomes extremely difficult to do. I also have fainting problems.
I don't really move around a lot, so it's probably just from that.
No, I'm not fat/overweight. My weight has stayed at around ~125lbs over the past four years.

>> No.8376938

I have a couple imaginary friends, yes.

>> No.8376962

Sometimes I'll talk to my screen, but its only passing comments like "Fuck yeah" or "Oh shit", just small things.

Though I do talk to myself in my head, to the point where I can hold up a conversation with another person. Took a while for the responses to stop feeling 'scripted'. I can't seem to have a conversation with myself aloud though, since I cant visualise anyone else there with me, and just feel stupid. Don't ask me why I can visualise someone when I think my conversations, but not when I speak them aloud.

>> No.8376999

>>8375390
I talk to myself plenty.
Two little girl selves who are embodiment of the two path in life/character development I could take.

I used to be able to hold proper conversations but now not so much.
They are more or less me in a sense so I talk to them with both of us knowing what I want to say and what reply I'm expecting so it's more of a internal council on whatever matter it is.

>> No.8377054

I only remember doing this:
>>8376442
>Whenever I find something to be really interesting, I spend a bunch of time pretending that I'm explaining it to someone.
As pathetic as this may be, those explanations mostly revolve around two topics (though there is always some variety). First, Touhou. I used to explain to nobody about how it's a great creative arena, and the doujin environment means people are involved in it and you can choose what you like, instead of the usual two-way relationship of the consumers figuratively sucking the genitals of whatever creator is 'in' at the moment in their circle of acquaintances.
Second, Umineko, though I don't do that anymore. Some years ago I explained the basic facts about the novels, in a way that tried to sound interesting.

I guess I do this because I desire a relationship with people who can adapt their tastes, or who are at least receptive. Most young people I have met in my life just consume what's given to them, what's on the radio, what's on TV, what's sold at stores. Maybe; I haven't met much people. And I wonder if I don't do exactly the same as them, but looking at Japan instead of at the usual media. Eh, whatever.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action