[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 29 KB, 216x280, 1325706237510.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8364748 No.8364748 [Reply] [Original]

Reading the archive makes me so sad. All these anons posting awesome ideas for novels, games or whatever, but years pass and you never hear from them again.
What is it about this board that makes people leave everything unfinished?

>> No.8364774

It's the autism.

>> No.8364771

the only thing we want to finish is the HELL that is life
/cut

>> No.8364782

I'll do it tomorrow.

>> No.8364784

>>8364748
> this board
project get started and dropped everywhere

>> No.8364776

Too lazy, it doesn't have anything to do with this board.

>> No.8364780

All those projects were shit.
Except Touhou Moon. But that's just because I like Harvest Moon.

>> No.8364793

I was waiting on a moment
But the moment never came
All the billion other moments
Were just slipping all away
I must have been tripping
Were just slipping all away
Just ego tripping

>> No.8364794

They leave because they realize you can't be on /jp/ and be a functioning member of society at the same time

>> No.8364799

>>8364780
Do they actually work on that? I hope they don't need a few years.

>> No.8364810

Anonymous of Columbia ;___;
He's a survivor of the thing that ravages us all, depression.

>> No.8364836

>>8364771
Thats deep as HELL

>> No.8364837

Which board has the greatest percentage of complete projects (besides the dedicated boards like /3/, /po/, and /diy/ now I guess)?

My guess is /tg/.

>> No.8364847

I'm working on my idea.
But it's just going to take a while, so I don't see a reason to advertise.
Once it's almost complete I'll try to recruit a musician here, but other than that I have no use of attention whoring with a project that might never even come to life.

>> No.8364860

>>8364837
Depends what you consider projects. /x/ (and I guess /lit/) have written a lot of fiction. /ic/, /tg/, /x/, etc. have drawn a lot of art.
For group projects, I'd probably say /tg/, yeah. Even the incomplete projects get pretty damn far. Like some guys were working on d20 Pokemon and it was going pretty smoothly, then one day everyone forgot. But they still pushed out a pretty impressive half-finished book.

>> No.8364890

I don't know, the problem is that it really takes a team to make a work happen, and teams tend to want to execute their own ideas rather than work on the ideas of others, thus we get split projects.

Light novels are not that hard and are basically a two-person deal (writer, editor), but writing a VN takes art, music, and writing.

Were someone to complete a good VN script, I think it would be hard to get people to illustrate and make music for it, just because they had no real input into the story itself.

Everyone wants to be a captain of the boat and not everyone wants to row. Even if the destination is a good one, I think people want to have some hand in steering the boat.

If I could make anything, I would make an android tablet VN, magic highschool theme, where gestures are used to cast spells in a few combat scenes, but the focus is on a main story with side heroines. Free first chapter, other parts are sold by chapters, $1 a chapter. Each chapter = 8 hours or so of story and content.

>> No.8364910
File: 134 KB, 352x375, lol.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lolicon is a medium now? Awesome

>> No.8364921

>>8364799
Nah, that project massively bombed shortly after. The project lead was inexperienced and arrogant. They set out to make the best game they could imagine with a bunch of first-timers. They also closed off applications to the team once they "filled" all the positions.

It's rather typical for any game project started on the internet. I like to think of it as similar to toddlers playing house, or doctor. They kind of know some of the things commonly said, and what it looks like, but they don't really know what to do or what happens when out of public view.

>> No.8364936

>>8364890
>Were someone to complete a good VN script, I think it would be hard to get people to illustrate and make music for it, just because they had no real input into the story itself.

Never thought of that, but that makes sense. I was hoping to hand over free reign over character designs and music composition to others. I guess I'm just going to have to ZUN everything.

It'll still be finished faster than KS was finished.

>> No.8364959

>>8364890
> I think it would be hard to get people to illustrate and make music for it, just because they had no real input into the story itself.
But if there's something that 4chan has taught us, it's that people are happy to draw decent art completely anonymously without anything in return. I'm sure one or two consistent artists wouldn't be difficult to find.

>> No.8364981

>>8364890
Instead of having all of those split up projects with everyone trying to solo, why not work together to realize all of the projects that they really want to complete?

There will be people that will just follow anyway, and ideas that are very similar that can be combined. The workload will probably be about 3 projects for a group of 10.

>> No.8364990

>>8364748

Someone starts a project. /jp/ crushes the person until they realize there's no audience to release it to, and no point to continue. Then /jp/ complains about no one releasing projects.

>> No.8364992
File: 198 KB, 759x1100, 1313997290171.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One problem I've noticed, is that everyone wants to make these huge and complicated projects. Can we try something smaller and more manageable please? Because I have a idea: a contest

Whoever writes the most interesting story in the next 24hours and posts it in this thread, gets a prize. leave a throwaway email address in the email field, or use a tripcode. if the story is too long, just link us to a pastebin, or put the .doc file in mediafire.

How about it?

>> No.8364998

In the first place, do we even have people with the same level of talent as Japanese doujin circles? I hear the old "we have so many talented writers, artists, programmers and music composers here!" all the time, but I think it's kinda exaggerated. And when people realize their project will be lower in quality than the average doujin stuff, they're not going to be very motivated to continue.

>> No.8365007

>>8364936
Music's easy. All you need is an artist to draw characters, and those aren't even hard to come by.

>> No.8365022

Depression.

>>8364771
Do it, faggot.

>> No.8365042

Kirby Touhou game dude from a few weeks ago here. I think I might do a shmup with a friend before I do that (if I ever do that).

On the bright side, the shmup'll be called something like Kill All Little Girls or something like that, so that'll be fun.

>> No.8365049
File: 291 KB, 1022x310, Lineup-5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I remember /x/ was creating a dating sim/visual novel called Forgotten Existence. Had a lot of promise too, but in the end it just died due to lack of interest.
I guess the KS devs have my respect for seeing it through until the end.

>> No.8365052

wish someone would throw out some projects you could join or contribute to. I'm just wasting my time anyways...

>> No.8365070

>>8365052
You start it then.

See the problem?

>> No.8365074

>>8365052
They end quickly, never get off the ground, or made as a one-man show.

>> No.8365084 [DELETED] 

I'm currently working on a VN project. It started off as something much bigger, but I realized 4 routes was a bit ambitious for a first time. It didn't really start on /jp/.. but I don't really visit other boards.

Anyway, the characters are being redesigned after the story is finished. But I am basically writing, drawing and coding the VN myself.

>> No.8365092

I have no skills. I'd at least like to say, "I can contribute ideas!" but I can't.

I guess I can flame things. But only if it's not expected of me, otherwise there's too much pressure.

>> No.8365109

http://dizzyhearts.blogspot.com/

Well since someone asked. I'm currently working on a VN project. It started off as something much bigger, but I realized 4 routes was a bit ambitious for a first time. It didn't really start on /jp/.. but I don't really visit other boards. Anyway, the characters are being redesigned after the story is finished. But I am basically writing, drawing and coding the VN myself. Along with volunteer editors.

>> No.8365133

IF ONLY SOME SORT OF VN THAT /jp/ FINDS COOL TO HATE WAS RELEASED RECENTLY
AND IF ONLY IT WAS RELEASED AS FREE SOFTWARE USING AN OPEN SOURCE ENGINE AND ALL THE ASSETS WERE READILY AVAILABLE LEAVING IT RIPE FOR PARODY AND/OR GENERAL FUCKERY

>> No.8365160

>>8364992
Are you that guy who wanted to make that LN magazine?

>> No.8365177

That feel when other boards have made music and flashes and games and software and books and all kinds of cool shit, yet /jp/ has nothing but a few image macros and obnoxious YouTube videos.
Even it's lifespan of a couple of months, /diy/ has done more than /jp/.

How do you feel, weeaboos?

>> No.8365186

>>8365109
I don't know. In my experience anything to do with dark elves on the internet is invariably terrible, on the same level as furry fanfictions. It doesn't seem /jp/ related at all.

>> No.8365224

>>8365070
I could start it but I'm shitty at things like that.
Oh, I see....

>> No.8365212

>>8365177
But /jp/ has made stuff. You must be new around here.

>> No.8365219

>>8365109
I'm not going to lie. I would help, but... purple aliens turn me off
would you be willing to redesign the characters?

>> No.8365251

>>8365177
It makes me depressed. I really don't care about competitions between boards, it's just that there's so much wasted potential in this board.

>> No.8365253

>>8365212
Name one thing /jp/ has made. Not a ``work in progress'' like Shock Cocoon or Touhou Moon or whatever bullshit-of-the-week you guys have. Name one thing that has been created and finished.

>> No.8365269

>>8365253
Dandygirl
anon nice day.
other things I don't remember the name.

>> No.8365272

>>8365186
>>8365219

Well, I had posted this in the OC board, and that is where I had come to the realization of contracting it down from 4 routes. But the dark elves come out of a lack of a better word. Dark Elves or Drow they have a preexisting worlds and concepts attached to them. And i'm not really comfortable with people coming, expecting D&D elves and getting an eroge with futa in it. So i've pretty much accepted that I need to redesign the characters. But I will need more input to know which directions to take the characters visually. That and I drew those pictures a while ago. So I am waiting until after the story is finished to do all the art assets.

>> No.8365295

>>8365133
Yeah, it really is too bad, since the assets aren't legally available, their license prohibits all derivative works of any sort (although they don't seem to be serious about that given the amount of fanart/fanfic on their forums), and they expressly forbid porting or modifying the game.

And they ARE serious about that at least, I was going to offer to port it to Android for them, but then I read their FAQ and welp.

>> No.8365301

>>8365269
> anon nice day.
Oh please. That's pretty much just a copypasta. Every board shits out those.
I haven't played Dandy Girl though. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's great. That's one good project /jp/ has had in its four year lifespan.

>> No.8365328

>>8365253
Dandygirl,
Anon nice days,
/jp/ manor 1-4,
and a bunch of other forgettable things.

/jp/ just doesn't go around tooting their own trumpet like other places. That doesn't mean it's a good team effort either, if it was then /jp/ would have about 20 things released by now.

>> No.8365363

>>8365272
Well if it was up to me I would just use normal humans living in the neolithic, wearing rags and skull masks, and worshiping structures left behind by their predecessors (ancient aliuuuns)
the antiquity setting works well with jungles, deserts and canyons, and tribal rituals / ancient glyph languages are always interesting and mysterious.

here's some stuff you might be interesting in

http://www.fawcettadventure.com/english_translation_manuscript_512.html

and since it's supposed to have sex scenes, you might want to read this too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_prostitution

>> No.8365366

>>8365272
Actually that seems to sum up the majority of online dark elf fiction. But your game sounds more like a nukige than anything else.

>> No.8365439

>>8365366

Well it is a nukige. I'm not exactly pure and innocent. I have my fetishes, like Futa, which is why i'm doing the VN (because i'm a sicko) and while I want it to have fetishes, it's not going to delve into weird shit /d/ territory (At this point futa arn't even really /d/ related anymore). Sex is actually largely related to the storyline and so there will be as much lewd sex as there is love scenes.

So as it stands it will be a linear nukige. With one main character path that branches at points to tell the story of the rest of the cast. All revolve around the main story/love interest the Princess Mercilia. Elves in general arn't relegated to just being a D&D race though (Even Lotus War had elves and dark elves). So i've thought about taking her from blackish grey she is now, and making her a delicious brown loli, or even blue. This is where the input comes in on what people visually would find appealing.

>> No.8365494

>>8365253
We also have a Touhou doujin and some short games.

Also a lot of short stories but those don't really count.

>> No.8365500

I'm working on a visual novel that I'm doing entirely myself, but I'm a terrible writer and fucked the story up. Now I don't want to finish it anymore because I don't know what the fuck it's about anymore. Finishing projects is hard, OP.

>> No.8365503

>>8365439
Forget the Elf thing. Make them brown Dwarf lolis with huge bearded dicks. Futa with masses of braided pubes will make your game memorable.

>> No.8365509

>>8365503

This is why we can't have nice things.

>> No.8365533

>>8365509
Because of a single shitposter?

>> No.8365542

>>8365533

Yes, he's responsible, for everything.

Everything.

>> No.8365617

No one wants to take part in this >>8364992?

>> No.8365630

>>8365617
I will if you can get others to do it.

>> No.8365633

>>8365617
eh, I'll do it tomorrow.

>> No.8365636

>>8365617
actually you gave me an idea. /jp/ should do a collaborative story sometime. It'll probably end up fairly jokey like dqn's novel, but that kind of thing is fun too.

>> No.8365652

>>8365636
You mean those things the more /b/ like boards do where each post follows the next, like

When I was
A little girl
etc.?

or just trading some file around?

>> No.8365673

>>8365617
I'm attending a special public lecture by one of the worlds leading scientists tomorrow.

>> No.8365674

>>8364992

Since I'm bored and you want to see something and I have free time, I'll write out one of three "short projects". Pick one, I'll give myself until 3am PST to write something.

Short Project 1: Late in Bloom

The story begins with flashbacks of a first year of college. Failures to connect. Barely passing grades. A terrorizing roommate. Increasing Isolation. Withdrawal. Disappointed parents and a summer spent alone. A return to college to an empty studio. Dwindling interest in classes. A lack of attendance. A receipt of a warning of Academic Suspension. It flashes to the present, a college student sprawled out on the floor of a dirty bathroom in his one bedroom studio after a botched suicide attempt. From there the story branches two ways, either the protagonist attempts to reclaim his own life or the protagonist slides further and further into madness.

Short Project 2: Help! My Girlfriend is a Werewolf!

Ever since Alex's new girlfriend has moved in with him, things have changed. The bathroom sink keeps clogging. His Mach 3 blades are going missing. The fridge is emptied of all of the meat but there's no signs of any cookware being used. And even though they live together, she keeps disappearing without reason or explanation...

Short Project 3: Convergence

A story about desires of a few made real and wishes granted-- and a story of the people who have to live in and survive the created worlds of others around them.

>> No.8365680

>>8365617
I'm up for it! Just don't wanna start it.

>> No.8365675

>>8365630
but how?
I said 24 hours because otherwise everyone will try to write a bible and lose interest halfway through because ADD, I mentioned a prize for the winner, I set no other rules to make it simpler and more accessible. I can't really think of anything else. What do I need to do to motivate you people?

>> No.8365690

If I had the tenacity to complete my goals, I wouldn't be on /jp/ all day, would I?

It's easy to have brilliant ideas, but to actually get up and achieve them is a whole other story.

>> No.8365704

>>8365674
Can you write all 3?

I'm not like the editor from that light novel thing. I'm not gonna tell you "your idea sucks gtfo". The point of this is to get people to share stuff they've written so we can all read it, have fun, discuss it and then write some more. that's it really.

>> No.8365707

>>8365674
Hey how about we just all write out 3-5 paragraph synopses of stories? It's easier and more fun. Like those "come up with your own idea for a VN/anime/game" threads

>> No.8365709

>>8365690
Please do share your brilliant ideas then.

>> No.8365722

>>8365709
Too many to name, and too paranoid to have them stolen. My point was that although we'd be able to come up with loads of great ideas, they will never see the light of day because most of /jp/'s daily userbase is lazy, unmotivated and uninterested in contributing to a greater good.

>> No.8365730

>>8365707
That's cool too. but you shouldn't be asking anyone for permission. if you have something to share, just post it. we can turn this thread into something positive

>> No.8365745

Right, a young male transfers to a new school and starts living in an apartment-complex on his own. The twist is, all his teachers live in the same apartment-complex. MC is forced to maintain a good relationship with his teachers as they slowly upon up to him. So instead of hitting on generic high school girls, you're building relationships with your various teachers, which could affect your grades, lessons and various other bonuses

>> No.8365762
File: 460 KB, 1374x1100, IT'S OK.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8365722
>too paranoid to have them stolen
It's either already been done or not worth stealing.

>> No.8365784

>>8365762
Neither of those actually. So you can see why I don't want to share.

>> No.8365790

>>8364837
Believe it or not, /d/

>> No.8365792

>>8365784
>Neither of those actually
It's definitely both of them.

>> No.8365812

>>8365792
Original ideas do come along every now and then, you know. Not everyone is rehashing the same old shit, like the anime and VN industry is currently doing.

>> No.8365822

>>8364748
I think two of the biggest factors are that
1. /jp/ doesn't understand the pleasure of creating. At the very least, it's seen as work instead of a legitimate activity that's equivalent to indulging in entertainment.
2. /jp/ is fed endless entertainment via pirating.

1 feeds on 2. /jp/ has no need to go and try anything different from what it always does, because it's too busy eating to take a shit. This is different from the Japanese who go and make things, because on average they don't really pirate like we do.

And then beyond that you have the fact that /jp/ers do not really get along or coordinate with themselves well. You have everything from programmers to writers and even unorthodox stuff like MMD or users of RPG maker type software, but good luck getting them to cooperate. /jp/ doesn't really have anyone who knows how to organize something, or most likely enough people willing to be controlled for long.

tl;dr: /jp/ is too busy stuffing its face with unlimited pirated works, and even though it does have artistic resources it has no one who knows how to use them(and whether they're willing to be used together or not is a question as well).

>> No.8365838

>>8365812
If your idea was original, you could sell it and be rich instead of pretending it's some special secret that's going to revolutionize the world. It's much more likely you're just too inexperienced to have encountered it before.

And "original ideas" are just innovations or reimplementations of older ideas.

>> No.8365839
File: 338 KB, 1500x1325, Shit was so cash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was thinking of making a Touhou VN, but then I realized I wouldn't be able to effectively make money off of it.
Say what you will, but I think that's a big factor. You need to look at such projects through a business lens. New businesses, just like 4chan projects, have a high failure rate.
A majority of people don't want to make things just for internet fame. But I'm sure many would be influenced to if they knew they could make enough money off of it to carve out a meager hikikomori life. Many of our favorite VNs and games that were made by guys like us charged money for them. The most successful ones certainly did.

My view is that you should charge a price for anything, as those that would complain about it and not pay will just pirate it anyway.

If we make something, we need to think up something entirely new to ourselves.

>> No.8365840
File: 55 KB, 600x450, rokkenjima.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8365822
This would all be helped if one of use won the lottery and the /jp/ mansion became reality.
I won 130 euros last draw, but if I ever win a few million, the first thing I'd do after buying a suit would be timestamping my winning lot and discussing on /jp/ what to do with it/how to go about getting a mansion for us all to live in and actually start making shit.

>> No.8365849

>>8365838
>revolutionize the world
Easy there, partner. I never said anything like that. I just have some ideas for stories that haven't been done before. It's not the next Bible by any means.

>> No.8365851

/jp/ has a lot of translators and game hackers, so don't say we didn't do anything worthwhile.

>> No.8365869

>>8365812
It's always about the ideas and how great they are, isn't it? No one cares about the actual execution of the ideas. You just jerk off to how awesome and original your idea is, and you forget that it actually has to be written into a coherent story, which takes far more skill and effort than coming up with an idea for a work.

Is it really that strange that nothing ever bears fruit when people only care for the basic idea behind their work and have no real drive to go through the process of creating their work?

>> No.8365886

>>8364748
I have no regrets. This is the only path.

/jp/ should make a Zybourne Clock VN.

>> No.8365905

>>8365869
That isn't even what this was about. You said my idea was either done before or not worth stealing.
I never said anything about writing it into a coherent story, and I did that on purpose, because I can't. All I was trying to say from the beginning was that original ideas do pop up every so often, and if you keep to mainstream anime and VN's, you will miss them. I'm sure you have a great idea as well, but it will never see the light of day.

>> No.8365901

>>8365840
I have always entertained the idea of /jp/ mansion, but I always thought we would get spammed by a lot of posters from other boards trying to get a free ride.

There would need to be a vigorous application process.

If I win the lottery, I will fun /jp/ mansion too. One of us will win someday.
I just hope that the project won't lead to a bunch of sexually confused autists in a dingy house trying to fuck each other.
I just want a few guys to discuss Touhou/whatever with and maybe create VNs or other OC with.

>> No.8365913

>>8365839
It would be dreadfully boring to read a work written by someone who only has a carrot dangling in front of his face to keep him motivated, who only writes in hope that he might reach the last line and grab his reward, not because he enjoys writing.

>> No.8365909

>>8365839
I want to charge for things, but not for games because you get into licenses and bullshit that I don't feel like dealing with.

>> No.8365915

>>8365840
That would still be a nation without a leader, though.

I do imagine that if /jp/ had personal contact that they might be willing to stop consuming products and think about doing something together, though. One of the advantages that Japanese creators have is that they tend to go to offline meetups, which is possible for them because of Japan's infrastructure and small size/pop density. We can't really do that, even if we did have equivalent numbers of talented people.

>> No.8365927
File: 948 KB, 850x1065, 1249741778539.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not much of a writer, but I've worked a lot with Photoshop-ish things for years and I've recently realized I've become really good at it. That feeling is amazing, especially when your work is appreciated by others.

All who are considering this 24-hour writing thing should go for it (Or any other creative stuff for that matter). You'll be proud of yourself for it, I assure you.

Go chase the creative ecstasy.

>> No.8365933

>>8365913
It's possible to both enjoy writing and to tailor your writing to make it marketable. It happens all the time. If the writing is bad anyways, the writer probably just sucked regardless.

>> No.8365930

>>8365905
That guy isn't me.

I actually work on my interesting ideas, but then I get sidetracked by new ideas before I can complete anything.

Also your ideas are unoriginal and I think of you in the same way as Gen Urobuchi and his Madoka.

>> No.8365945

>>8365913
Money is nowhere near the only motivation.
I'm just saying that most popular authors or VN developers don't just give their stuff out for free.

The more money you make from your creations, the more you can devote to it. You can't really make much if you are stuck in a shitty job and give out all your work for free.

Even with many on /jp/ bumming off their parents, I'm sure many would be pleased to make some money off of their own creation so when they get kicked out they won't have to kill themselves.

>> No.8365946

>>8365930
>Also your ideas are unoriginal and I think of you in the same way as Gen Urobuchi and his Madoka.
I haven't even said a single thing about my ideas. Why are you judging? Is it because you can not fathom that another human being who isn't you might have an original idea? How very childish.

>> No.8365968

>>8365946
>Is it because you can not fathom that another human being who isn't you might have an original idea?

No it's because I and many others have heard that exact same line many times and it's never been anything actually original. You could even consider that "no someone will steal my idea" attitude to be a stereotype.

>> No.8365997

>>8365968
Well, we seem to be stuck in a state of flux then, don't we?
I won't tell you my idea, and you won't accept my idea as original lest I tell you it. I don't care about whatever shit ideas you might have come across before we met, but you have no reason at all to insult my ideas, as you do not know what they are.

If you insist on insisting my ideas are rehashed rehashes, I believe we have nothing more to talk about. It's all very simple.

>> No.8366007

>>8365997
You sound like a gay-ass gay.

>> No.8366017
File: 99 KB, 600x600, 1325359485901.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8366007
You sound like you got outsmarted and had to resort to silly insults to "save face" on an anonymous imageboard.

>> No.8366014

Whether the ideas are great or simple, original or rehashed, we all know how it's likely to end. It is quite immature however to consider your ideas anything special because in most cases you don't actually have those ideas, you just think you do.

>> No.8366018

Curious. If you're never going to make your ideas - which you acknowledged you're never going to do since you lack the skill, why are you afraid of sharing them?

>> No.8366028

>>8366017
I'm not even that guy.

>> No.8366036

If you're not going to actually share your original idea, then why did you feel the need to tell us that you had one in the first place?

I'm not going to call you a faggot tell you to get out. Instead I'll tell you this. I know you posted here because you want to share it, but you don't know anyone who would be willing to read your stuff. So good news, that's what this thread is here for. Write it down, I don't care if it's only 10 lines long, and post it here. If you see that people react positively to it, expand it

>> No.8366041

>>8366018
Say you had a great idea. Phenomenal even. Yet you couldn't realise it on your own.
If you were to, say, divulge it to the right person, they could make millions, while you could not. I don't want to see people making money on MY ideas. Surely not. Any self-respecting writer would say this.

>> No.8366057

I'd like to get together in a small group and make something, It sounds fun.
Though the only thing I can do is draw.

>> No.8366066

>>8366036
Thanks for your psychology 101 class there. But no. I have no intention of sharing my ideas, and merely replying on topic doesn't mean I'm some sort of attention-seeking writer in need of reviews.
I literally do not give a fuck you people don't know about my ideas. They are safe in my head until I start my writer's academy classes next year. Nice try though.

>> No.8366070

>>8366041
But they're not even your ideas, and when you start to try and flesh them out you will find that the details you thought were all there aren't coming out as brilliantly as you thought they would. It's just a trick of the brain, you should realize this, and understand that "ideas" are a dime a dozen, and millions are made off productivity.

>> No.8366075

If /jp/ musicians used Vocaloid they could make some money off the Japanese Vocaloid crowd. They actually buy CDs if they think it's good, I don't think the West has any outlets outside of mainstream media where money is actually spent.

In fact, that's a general rule for independent work for them that the West doesn't follow. Westerners generally don't buy stuff that isn't industry supported. I wonder if we would get some people willing to work on stuff if we tried to coordinate a booth at Comiket. Probably not.

>> No.8366082

>>8366070
And I suppose all those silly problems would be gone once I post all my ideas on this anonymous imageboard.
No.

Seriously, if you want to hear some great ideas, post some yourself, and perhaps other anons will post theirs in reply.

>> No.8366086

>>8366057
I can write and do stuff in photoshop.
There, now we just need some other people to fill other roles.
With our powers combined, we might be able to make something!
But we will probably all lose interest before it gets off the ground.....

>> No.8366096

>>8366086
Come up with a nice project and I'd happily pitch in. I'm a writer, but I can't even make a decent artwork in MS Paint.

>> No.8366114

Has anyone ever come up with a idea can only be properly experienced as a VN? A lot of stories can only be told in pretty much every way. They don't really need images, special effects, music or voices. It makes me feel that the advantages of VNs is being wasted, because despite having images and sprites, writers still feel the need to shit out obscenely long descriptions. You can tell when a writer is kinda new because he uses too many adjectives, as if the reader couldn't see the bg image. KS is a good example of this. I like worlds that can be described perfectly with very little dialog and narration.

/jp/, what kind of world could only be described with a few static images and ren'py effects? Can you think of anything?

>> No.8366130

>>8366082
No, I don't think they would be gone. In fact I believe your ideas are worthless drivel and you should stop wasting your time posting in this thread if you're not intending to be productive. In the meantime while you're busy protecting what you believe to be a precious commodity (ideas) you're actually letting your best assets atrophy. You should train yourself to be actively productive and able to realize your thoughts in some creative process.

>> No.8366137

>>8366114

Umineko is probably the closest. MuvLuv Alternative is the second closest.

Generally, anything that involves rapid scenery changes works WAY better in VNs because of the sets of graphics.

Long descriptions are needed. I hate it when games do not have them because still images need them to come to life.

Working with Umineko in a non VN medium would absolutely suck. Alternative wouldn't be as hard, but the flashes/etc are more impactful with the medium.

>> No.8366151

>>8366114
>It makes me feel that the advantages of VNs is being wasted, because despite having images and sprites, writers still feel the need to shit out obscenely long descriptions.
I hope you're only talking about OELVNs or something because Japanese eroge are usually light on descriptions (outside of stuff like action scenes where it just wouldn't be feasible to have images for every movement).

>> No.8366201

I have graphic novel ideas but i cant draw so i just right it down and link songs to the story in my memory.

>> No.8366202

>>8366070
It's kinda sad how easy it is for people to convince themselves that they're sitting on the winning ticket, which will magically conjure fame and fortune for them as soon as the opportunity present itself. This guy basically sounds the same as people who think they can beat the stock market because they got some "exclusive insider information", or people who think that just because the old violin they found in their grandma's attic was marked "Stradivarius", it's actually a real Stradivarius violin.

It's just so much more convenient to make up this little fantasy where you just happen to stumble upon great fortune, than it is to actually make your fortune.

>> No.8366225

>>8366114
I think plain and ordinary, everyday settings may also be brought out well by VNs. There's an appeal to such scenery, but describing it in literature is not particularly exciting or attention-grasping.

Words can be used to make even something that's really dull sound really interesting, but it's more difficult to use them in to make a simple setting from something average while holding the reader's inerest. In other words, in order to describe a simple scene in writing while guaranteeing reader interest, you're going to have to use tricks like embellishment or hyperbole which may counteract the goal of the setting(to be plain).

I'm trying to describe what I perceive as a sort of paradox in that you can't having a plain, everyday scene, describing it without pomp of any sort and without risking losing reader interest. But you can do that with a VN.

But I'm no writer, what do I know.

>> No.8366227

>>8366201
>right
Are you for real.

>> No.8366259

>>8366151
I was thinking of the most mainstream VNs when I wrote that. Specially type moon stuff. I think they're bloated.
FSN for example has 800000 words. I think the writer could have told the same story with just 500000 if he had used the imagery better.

>> No.8366273

>I think the writer could have told the same story with just 500000 if he had used less cooking scenes
Fixed that for you.

>> No.8366271

This thread is ugly. Bickering and insecurity everywhere.

>> No.8366291

>>8366259
forgot the second part of my post.

Kagetsu Tohya is a exception. I think it's a story that can only be told as a VN. It's about dreams, so it relies a lot on the scenery and interactivity. the player needs to analyze the things he sees and come to a conclusion, he isn't spoon-fed with massive info dumps. I think it's great

>> No.8366316

>>8366259
Nasu's writing is not at all reflective of eroge in general though.

>> No.8366322

>>8366114
>Has anyone ever come up with a idea can only be properly experienced as a VN?
In 999, I liked how the routes would come together, with one route serving as exposition for another route, until it all finally came together in the true route.

I'd like to see something similar done in a galge someday. Like... the heroines being representations of the protagonists faults, and that he has to do their routes to overcome them.

>> No.8366560

Should write a story about a con artist who seduces lolis/high school girls/fujoshi and then uses them as leverage to get money off their relatives.

His name would be Sage.

This is actually a test because I was curious if even that's been done before.

>> No.8366616

If we are doing the 24 hour thing, I'll start at midnight tonight and put something up within that time frame. No idea how good it will be, but at least it will be done.

>> No.8367295

I'm surprised that /jp/ ignored the ideas posted in the thread and just kept talking about how /jp/ never has ideas.

>> No.8367330

>>8367295
You know how it is; It's hard to actually begin working, and far easier to continue idly picking your nose.

>> No.8367348

>>8367330

That's pretty much why they never get finished because they want to release it to /jp/. I've never even seen a project that hasn't died because no one can muster enough energy to give a shit about it. I've never seen /jp/ let down because an author stopped working on it. I've only seen "I've got a really good idea" and /jp/ collectively shrugging and going "meh" then walking off.

No wonder no one does anything with a response like that.

>> No.8367427

/jp/ thinks far too much of itself, and is far too under motivated to ever get anything done. If they are to invest in a project, it had better be their magnum opus, and it better sell well at comiket, that year.

Unrealistic expectations, are a hallmark of someone who has never done any hard work before. So is expecting instant progress.

>> No.8367464

>>8367427

It's hard to be motivated when no one shows an interest in your work at all. I wonder what would happen if /jp/ actually did support the creation of a VN. Right now it seems to afraid of being hurt. Because i've never seen a reason for /jp/'s inability to support VNs.

>> No.8367543

>>8365253
My Sweet Hakutaku.

>> No.8367577

A nukige with a downs syndrome afflicted protagonist.

Bam, original idea.

>> No.8367581

>>8367577
But that's like every nukige out there!

>> No.8367630

>>8367581
None of them have a literally downs syndrome afflicted protagonist, however.

>> No.8367652

>>8367464
You're asking a bunch of shut-ins to use their free time to work together on a bothersome project. Why would /jp/ be serious about something like that? Not to mention there'd be management problems everywhere. I think if someone who wasn't an idiot came forward with a solid project and asked for cooperation, they might get it, but otherwise...

>> No.8367650

>>8367295
That's because /jp/ has never finished anything ever.

>> No.8367729

>>8367652
So essentially someone has to put a lot of thought and effort into planning something out before asking for assistance, and then they have to hope that /jp/ actually gives a damn about the project.

The obvious issue is that nobody wants to or has the motivation to be that first guy for variety of reasons.

Yeah, nothing is ever going to get done.

>> No.8367733

>>8367729
That sounds pretty normal. Do you expect a bunch of random people to say "let's do something big" and everything goes smoothly?

>> No.8367748

>>8367733
Of course I don't, I'm not even the guy you were responding to, just adding another pointless comment about futility.

I'll refrain from commenting about the content, but I do have to mention KS as something random people just threw out there, but I can hardly believe it actually finished and I wouldn't expect the same elsewhere.

>> No.8367762

I wouldn't mind helping organize such an effort, but I have no other skills to contribute to the project.

>> No.8367788

>>8367762
Hi Kritz.

>> No.8367922

>>8367650
But /jp/ has, silly.

>> No.8368116

We don't really need to just do /jp/ related OC you know. Why not bring things here that would simply interest /jp/?

>> No.8368143

>>8367922
I can't hear you over the sound of /jp/ not finishing anything.

Ever.

>> No.8368152

If Katawa Shoujo could actually get released, then there was nothing to stop the Virus Girl concept taking off.

You'll never get to help Cancer-tan overcome her ballooning weight problem. ;_;

>> No.8368155

>>8367729
>>8367652

Except, I did ask for help multiple times. I've certainly come with the most developed story to /jp/ than anyone else in recent memory. I've certainly done, am doing most of the work by myself. Yet so far only one person on /jp/ has given me even real, helpful, constructive criticism on the game. (which is why i'm implementing the changes he suggested. I even preened for suggestions in this very thread.

>>8365109

I guess i'll wait to see if what everyone says here is true, so fill me with your feedback.

>> No.8368227

>>8368143
http://vndb.org/v3249

>> No.8368253

>>8368116
I personally prefer paranormal/fantasy work. I usually end up writing practice short stories that are more /x/ themed than /jp/,

>> No.8368538

>>8368253
Did you write paradoxapotheosis?

>> No.8368551

>>8368538
No, that was AoC.

>> No.8368577

>>8368551
No it wasn't, AoC was visiting family. Stop astroturfing.

>> No.8369912
File: 1004 KB, 800x600, slackers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Writer/musician/coder here.

I have both failed and completed projects. The key to finishing projects is some kind of motivation beyond the initial 'this idea would be great' motivation. The progress itself can be motivating (I've started to work harder on a game because the game started becoming fun to play before), but the best motivators are deadlines (I have to finish this part by next week!) and other people (hey, have you finished X yet? Hurry up, I need it to implement Y). The initial motivation runs out at some point, and if at that point people don't get enough of a 'I need to get back to work' prod, the project will fail.

The problem with /jp/ is that you can't set deadlines (because fuck you I have other things to do) and you can't rush them because they can just vanish without a trace (anonymity). With no other sources of motivation, participants start working on a project less and less and eventually stop working on things altogether.

The only things I can finish without any extra source of motivation are very short stories (<1000 words) and single pieces of music.

>> No.8370808

Speaking of which, what happened to that light novel magazine thing? Is that dead yet?

>> No.8371107

>>8369912
>but the best motivators are deadlines (I have to finish this part by next week!) and other people (hey, have you finished X yet? Hurry up, I need it to implement Y)

Wrong as all hell. I've faced deadlines in the past, but the best way for me to complete them is to not think about it, and at best let it subconsciously motivate me.

>> No.8371176

>>8370808
Not sure. I submitted a story over a week ago, but I received no response. I tried resending it two days ago, but I still haven't heard anything. We're supposed to send to jpanoneditor@gmail.com, right? I'm not getting any undelivered mail notifications, either...maybe it really is dead already?

>> No.8371217

>>8371176
After your post, I'm fairly certain that it's either dead or at least in a coma, because I have a similar problem with them at the moment.

>> No.8371341

>>8371107
Then what are your motivators?

>> No.8371465

>>8371341
Feeling like doing it. Every single so-called "motivator" has the exact opposite effect on me.

>> No.8371482

>>8371217

I got an email back not long after you posted that. The editors actually browse /jp/ or something?

I got rejected, but at least he was nice about it and encouraged me to keep writing. ;_;

>> No.8371564

>>8371482
Oh, I got an e-mail back just now as well. It seems they have some e-mail problems, as only my mail two days ago went through.

Looks like my story was rejected for a lack of originality and not being interesting enough. I submitted mostly in hopes of getting some feedback regarding my writing, but unfortunately all the writing criticism I got was 'less back-and-forth dialogue'. My writing is usually a lot less dialogue-heavy in general, and I added more to seem more light novel-like, but I guess I should just write normally.

Since it won't be used, I figured I can just as well post my story here for those interested: http://pastebin.com/ppeSmF6d

>> No.8371591

I wouldn't mind working on a /jp/ related project. The only problem is that I have no talent and I would need assurance that the people I work with are willing to carry through to the very end.

>> No.8371592

>>8371564
For some reasons, it reminds me of Mirai Nikki

>> No.8371594

>>8371564
That's more well-written than KS at least, and that's what the editor is currently "Addicted to" right now. Make of that what you will.

>> No.8371605

>>8371594

>more well-written than KS

That isn't saying much. That's like saying vomit is better than dog shit.

>> No.8371624

>>8371605
Fair enough, but it's still strange to see them praise KS while not accepting a work that's marginally better than it.

>> No.8371625

>>8371594
>>KS
>>that's what the editor is currently "Addicted to"

What gave you that impression? If that's true, I'm a bit worried.

>> No.8371638

>>8371605
Could you please point out why my work is vomit? I had hoped the editor would point out my flaws, but he didn't say much about the writing.

>> No.8371640

>>8371625
>[20:46] <@KidDynamite> are you going to end up at a school for the disabled with an abnormally high amount of cute girls with disabilities
>[20:46] <@GrahamCracker> Godamnit
>[20:46] <@GrahamCracker> Oh, KS was the third reason I was away

I'm quoting the chat log.

>> No.8371649

>>8371640
Forgot to add these gems.
>[16:31] <@GrahamCracker> Well how can you browse /a/ regularly and NOT discuss KS?
>[16:31] <@GrahamCracker> Seriously.
>[16:32] <@KidDynamite> i think it's a case of THEY MAD

Welp.

>> No.8371650

>>8371638
It is an analogy. KS isn't well written so it isn't hard to out-preform it.

>> No.8371663

>>8371650
Then why wouldn't they be able to offer even the slightest bit of critique for his work if they preferred KS to Murderball? Could it be.... They just don't care about the project anymore and just reject things out of hand so people forget about it sooner?

>> No.8371676

>>8371663
Probably, the last thread they had here was pretty harsh in terms of the project. The OP posting as anon and with his trip just made things worse.

>> No.8371690

>>8371663

Did they really not give you more critique or are you too embarrassed by what they said to acknowledge it? I feel like they'd say more than "less dialogue." Sorry if I'm wrong btw.

>> No.8371691

>>8371676
That thread was a complete trainwreck, I'm surprised he didn't delete it to save at least some face if he had no intention of apologizing. Of course, if you're trying to alienate people quickly...

>> No.8371717

>>8371690
Where did you get the impression I was he? Did you not catch the "his" in my original post?

>> No.8371726

>>8371564
Your writing style is very, very stiff. It makes it difficult to read. Also you have a lot of extraneous, well, bullshit that isn't needed. You keep going on and on and on about things your readers probably understood and, consequently, stopped caring about 4 or 5 remarks earlier.

Stuff like:

"And like any amateur, the enemy takes the bait.
I aim at his head as he's setting up to shoot at my phone's position--
And pull the trigger.
He drops dead.
A simple trick, a simple shot, and he collapses to the ground.
That was all it took."

can be reduced to

"Like any amateur, my target takes the bait. I aim, inhale, and squeeze. That marks another for me."

We know it's a trick, stop telling us. We don't know it's an easy shot though, so that can stay in some capacity but I chose to omit it. We know what you're doing too, so unless you're going to give us every detail about how his brains splattered on the wall, we don't need anything else about this person we don't care that you're killing. Your character feels little emotion about doing it, so neither should your readers.

>> No.8371738

>>8371691

Deleting it would've just sparked their anger and created a troll thread. Leaving it and let it die was actually probably the best choice. They sound colon crucified either way so whatever.

Also samefagging. I kind of wonder whether it was that or someone pretending to be them samefagging. Something that retarded and passive-aggressive could only happen on 4chan. But it might have been them actually giving in under pressure.

>>8371649

>Well how can you browse /a/ regularly and NOT discuss KS?

That's a good point, actually.

>>8371564

Oh hey Deadman Wonderland.

>> No.8371744

>>8371690
Yes, the e-mail is more than just that, but it's mostly explaining why the story isn't original enough and encouragement to send a new story. 'Less back and forth dialogue' was the only writing criticism I received.

I could post the e-mail, but I would like to check if that's okay with the editor first, some simple hate having private messages posted publicly. Editor, you're there, aren't you? Can I just post the e-mail you sent me?

And I think the Katawa Shoujo hate here is a bit exaggerated. I haven't been able to play it a lot since I've been so busy lately, but I'm liking it so far.

>> No.8371773

>>8371726
So he wants beige prose with unnecessary adjectives? Seems like KS really is their "Gold standard", and that's just ironic given their stance in that thread about not liking mediocre works.
>>8371738
Looking at the time between posts and the writing style, I don't know how you could figure it as somebody other than the OP samefagging.
>>8371744
Fuck him, just post the email if he's going to whine more about originality and less about execution.

>> No.8371801

No decent artist. No money for decent artists. You can have half way decent writers and someone can figure out how to get the software to work but you can't get passed this part.

>> No.8371812

What about this:

Fate Stay/Night 2: Holy grail revenge

MC: Kaguya Emiya Matou Tohsaka.

>> No.8371822

>>8371726
Thank you! That's the kind of criticism I was looking for!

You're completely right. I personally hate it when writers go on and on about things that are obvious already, I should've paid more attention to that. The protagonist is not completely emotionless, though - he feels slightly sad that it's so easy to take someone's life. I guess something like
>And like any amateur, my target takes the bait. I take aim, perform the usual movements, and his life ends just like that.
would work better?

>> No.8371847

>>8371822
That works, maybe if your character has reservations about it, or feels overly bad about what can't be helped you could imply he hesitates somewhat, or his breath hitches. Little details like that work much better than trying to slow the pace of writing by going through each action like a checklist.

>> No.8371849

>>8371822
Oh god, you mean the post I responded to in >>8371773
wasn't even part of the guy's email? I take back some of the vitriol, but I stand by my point that you could afford to be somewhat long winded for the initial "shot".

By the way, never start a sentence with "And", you could just as well link it to the previous sentence.

>> No.8371887

>>8371847
True, I don't need to hear the vivid details of each and every attack for the entire duration of the story.

What the fuck did the so-called editor's email say if he was unwilling to contribute even the slightest amount of critique?

>> No.8371898

>>8371849
It wasn't the initial shot, it was the final shot in the story.

The 'and' was not to connect it to the previous sentence, but rather to link it to the previous event that occurred:
>I throw my cell phone on a roof and continue to run.
>--I want to stop being a monster. Let this be my last murder. Let me finally break free from my past...
>I set up my rifle.
>It took only an hour to again get used to what I had tried to forget for years.
>And like any amateur, the enemy takes the bait.

It is meant to denote that it's a logical follow-up to the previous action of baiting him.

>> No.8371908

>>8371898
I realized that when I actually bothered to read the story.

Sorry!

>> No.8372495

>>8364748
If I join, would I be allowed to do nothing other than work on my robot waifu project? I'd of course help out with regular chores and shit, and should probably consider asking for donations in the future to fund it.

>> No.8372622

>>8372495
...Huh?

>> No.8372666

>>8372622
Don't 'huh' me. Would I?

>> No.8372797

>>8372666
What? What the hell are you referring to?

>> No.8372821

Rather than writing a whole story only to be told it's "not original enough" it seems like it would be a better idea to first send in a basic idea to this magazine to see if they'll take it at all.

>> No.8372842

>>8372797
When we buy that abandoned warehouse and use it as the HQ for our eroge company, he wants to be the weird engineer guy who sits at his desk all day working on some incomprehensible project while muttering about his affection for his creation.

>> No.8372971

>>8372797
Working on my robot waifu project! You know what I mean!

>> No.8373200

>>8372971
ARE YOU MY FUCKING CLONE?
>>8372842
I've been had!

>> No.8373510

>>8373200
Why, yes, I am. Are you also my clone?

>> No.8373671

>>8372821
The guy had already ruled those out from the start.

>> No.8373692

You guys should stop bitching about stories being rejected. If everything were accepted, the magazine would be LSF level. I'd rather not have a magazine at all than have some abomination like that.

>> No.8373955

>>8373692
The thing is, the "Editor" isn't giving any actual critique regarding writing and just bitches about the stories not being original enough, or at best, calls them bad without explaining why.

> I'd rather not have a magazine at all than have some abomination like that.

I'd rather they not get people's hopes up to begin with.

>> No.8373981

>>8373955

Welcome to publishing. Submission editors are not on your payroll, they do not do things for you.

>> No.8374014

>>8373955
>isn't giving any actual critique regarding writing and just bitches about the stories not being original enough
Email him again asking for a clear explanation. If he has the time to reply to you that is. But then remember that we won't really know if he's really just being an ass until you post that rejected story, if you're confident about it.

>> No.8374032

>>8374014
How come people keep mistaking me for >>8371564

Really, why? Anyway, the other guy gave him the critique he was looking for.

>>8373981
...What? You're equating a nonprofit 4chan e-zine to a publishing house?

>> No.8374103

24 hours and nothing

>>8364992

Do you guys want to give it another shot? Maybe my post didn't get enough attention.

>> No.8374126

>>8374103
I'm still working on mine. Should be done in an hour or two if I don't get distracted anymore.

>> No.8374165

>>8374103
'Start working right now you have 24 hours' generally doesn't work well for me. I wanted to do other things today. Things like Ludum Dare allow you to know and prepare a long time in advance, so that when the weekend comes you know 'I'm going to be working on a game this weekend' and are willing to do so. I'm playing games and reading KS today, I currently don't have the time, inspiration or motivation to write.

In general, though, your contest sucks and does nothing to motivate me. How is it any different from any other story I write and post randomly? You say the winner gets 'a prize' but without knowing anything about it, that doesn't really set it apart from the other moments when I just write for the hell of it.

>> No.8374214

IMO People should are over ambitious when it comes to these things.

If everyone made one danmakufu script, one drawing, one song, one small vn route, and people kept doing it with time we'd have something huge.

Look at modding communities (mario hacks, doom megawads) most of their huge finished projects are collabs between people who never even met each other. Everyone just agreed on a style in common and did whatever they wanted, then a leader comes up and organizes a few deadlines. People who don't finish their levels/art/coding on schedule are simply cut. Period.

Of course eventually there's some drama but in stuff like these they'd get a lot more diminished.

Touhou for the most parted works like this. You have one guy who made the orginals, another group made a remix, another explored a rough idea in a doujin, and someone else came and put everything together and made a PV. It was called Bad Apple and it was shit and we hate it.

But it was a success.

>> No.8374230

>>8374165
The short time window encourages people to post their stories because they can use the "I didn't have enough time to polish it" excuse if others criticize them. I followed the LN thread and a lot of people were too shy to post anything, probably because expectations were just too high. I was just trying to get around that obstacle.

>> No.8374243

>>8374214

I write like a retarded down syndrome kid, but my point is, people should do a lot of small shit that they enjoy and then someone should put it all together.

>> No.8374290

>>8374243
To be honest, I've been playing with the idea of having something like the light novel magazine but in VN form. Normally when you have a short story, you wouldn't put it in VN form since nobody would download it for just 5 minutes of writing, but if it's a whole bunch of such stories it'd be worth downloading. But I don't think we'd be able to get something like that off the ground.

>> No.8374334

>>8374290
Why not give it a try? The worst that can happen is that someone will call your thread shit and sage it. I can contribute some stuff.

>> No.8374342

>>8374290
I think that'd be a great idea, reminiscent of what a lot of young men's and boys' magazines were doing in the 90's but in the Visual Novel format. Obviously I wouldn't be able to bang out 10k words and get enough money to make car payments like I did back then, but it'd still be fun to do.

>> No.8374412

>>8374334
>>8374342
I'm not confident in leading such a project. I'm a terrible leader, will probably be too busy and don't really feel like it'll get off the ground anyways. If you really want this and think it has potential to succeed, someone else will have to lead it.

>> No.8374520

>>8374412
I want to, but I don't even know how to get it started. Should I start a new thread? What kind of image should I use? How should I describe the project? What kind of tone should I use? I'm asking because 8364992 didn't work at all, only one person agreed to participate.

>> No.8374565

I don't know, I think I'll read this thread later.

>> No.8374735

>>8374520
Nocturne's method seemed to work fairly well, considering he got a bunch of submissions.

>> No.8374741

I'm just so depressed these days I wish someone would help me

>> No.8374751

I was a musician and coder in a horror VN project started in /jp/ some years ago, I made some BGMs but they didn't even have the backgrounds and just some unfinished sprites, the plot was a mess and they were asking for more music. They didn't seem motivated except for the leader so I left.

>> No.8374779

>>8374735
Apparently, that was just hyperbole to get more people interested.

>> No.8374824

>>8374779
Was it? Dammit, we need the Nocturnes guy to get in here.

>> No.8374865

The key is low expectations. Make a project like those shitty MS Paint drawing threads. Everyone's scared to make garbage when that should be the goal.

>> No.8374901

>>8374751
I did some coding and writing for a horror project too (or tried to)
the rest of the team didn't really do anything, sometimes they only logged in to discuss anime or manga. I didn't want to sound pushy but they didn't really seem interested. they eventually got bored and left.

>> No.8374910

/jp/ /jp/ creativity

>> No.8375042

>>8365652
Pretty much what you said, but at least a paragraph from each person, otherwise we'll get a story in which every other sentence is "fuck niggers".

>> No.8375060

If >>8374290 were to be done, would anybody actually submit anything? (Ideas don't count, I'm talking writing/art/music.)

>> No.8375074

>>8374865
Now I am become Mugenjohncell, creator of shit.

>> No.8375137

Man, this thread makes me a bit depressed, especially since I read 4ch and saovq as well, and they're quite good at making some unique stuff every once in a while.

Maybe we should do the visual novel with short stories thing, but more inclusive. Like something in one of the multi-platform vn engines, but there's a gallery for misc art, a jukebox for any submitted musics, and of course the stories.

I'm pretty shit, but I'd contribute some music if I can manage to make something interesting.

>> No.8375171

Should I feel shame for using photos and Photoshop filters instead of drawing backgrounds?

>> No.8375270
File: 179 KB, 640x480, capture_20111221_194534.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8375171
Even Umineko used filtered photos, so I guess it's fine?

>> No.8375372

http://pastebin.com/LcTM4np3

Not my best work, but I am glad I finished it. Even if I feel it became even shittier near the end.

>> No.8375550

>>8375372
I loved the solution, it felt very creative to me. But I think you didn't use it well, it needed a bigger build up or momentum. just my opinion

>> No.8375608

gonna cancer it up with a long post

Here's my idea on how to get a VN project started. It takes three threads, and you can make the first thread now.

1. Make a pitching thread and find an idea that at least 10 people like. If nothing catches flame, everyone fucks off, and we try again in a month.

2. A few days later, make another pitching thread, but with a constraint: people should only pitch PLOTS that are based on the IDEA that was well received before. e.g. "pitch a story about girls based on music genres." Again, one plot, 10 supporters. If no plots arise, we can wait a week and try again--after that, we kill it and go back to step 1.

3. Then in a third thread, we present the plot, and say "write a short scene/convo, draw a character that you think would appear in this story." This serves many purposes: to find out where our talents are, to measure support, to make our project seem serious and substantial, and to see if we're all imagining the same VN. Once we have our contributors, supporters, and matured idea, we move out of /jp/ and start on the VN.

It seems like a lot, but the best part is that none of this requires any REAL work. Simply put, it's guided, themed brainstorming. There's no script. No commitment. Anyone can contribute and criticize. Each step builds from a single idea, maybe even a single sentence. If the project dies, then it's not a problem with laziness, it's the idea.

Does this seem feasible to anyone, or am I dreaming impossible things out of my ass?

>> No.8375660

>>8375608
That's more or less what we've been trying to do in this thread.

Only a few ideas have been posted in this thread so far, but it'll take a while for this to start auto saging. So maybe I won't have to fuck off and wait a month to try it again like you suggested

>> No.8376287

http://pastebin.com/RNrJvcjB

This is a side story and is meant to be inconclusive. It is filled with references that are likely not to be understood without extra knowledge of the setting and situations taking place.

>> No.8376426

I just want someone to start a project so I can spend my days proof-reading it and pretending I contributed in a meaningful way.

>> No.8376431

>>8376287

Seemed pretty well written at the beginning, but the interactions between the characters seemed pretty shallow in my eyes so I soon started to lose interest along the way.

>> No.8376978

The problem with /jp/ is that people seem to act like their perfectionism is compatible with their current level of skill. You only have to worry about being original, revolutionary, or ground breaking when you are in a position to actualize your ideas with your current skill set. You only have to worry about quality when your preceding examples of work are far superior to your current project.

In short the majority of /jp/ has nothing to lose.

>> No.8377013

>>8376978

That's not really true. You must strive to do the best you can do in every project you do. If you write a story and you felt that you did it to the best of your abilities. You can be proud of that. Then you can start a new project, taking what you learned and do that to the best of your abilities.

>> No.8377025

>>8376978
Plenty of people make one hit wonders, you can step the fuck right off.

>> No.8377051

>>8377025
>>8377013
i think the first sentence of his post is true, though.

i really don't know what the supposed magazine editor is expecting if he's only taking "good" stuff from /jp/. i can't imagine there's been more than two or three acceptable contributions if we're keeping standards up for every piece instead of focusing on it being stuff from /jp/; /jp/ is a pretty random assortment of los... people.

>> No.8377081

>>8377051
Just judging from the posts I've read regarding that project in the past few weeks, not a single piece has fit his rather nebulous standards so far.

>> No.8377086

>>8377081

When you try to judge something from an assumed place of authority it never works out. Why is he even respected enough to do this in the first place.

If hasn't proven himself as an author, and all he does is play KS. Then he sounds like a fag to me.

>> No.8377107

>>8377086
>Why is he even respected enough to do this in the first place.

He simply felt like doing it.
>Then he sounds like a fag to me.
Agreed.

>> No.8377145

I'm surprised this thread is still alive. I was hesitant to post my idea last time I saw the thread since I'd planned to work on it by myself, but it'll probably never be finished anyway so it doesn't matter.

One of the ideas I've had is for a mystery about a group of tourists go on a week-long vacation to an island (or some other isolated location). During the vacation people begin to disappear, and these disappearances continue until the remaining tourists discover on their last day that almost everyone else in the town has been changed into monsters (the undead or whatever--it doesn't really matter). Everyone dies, but two of the people (the perspective characters) remember everything that happened and are forced to repeat the week until they solve the mystery.

>> No.8377154

>>8377145
Wow, no wonder you were hesitant.

>> No.8377166

>>8377154
It was from a dream, shitposter-kun, so it was bound to be incoherent.

>> No.8377178

>>8377013
>>8377025
>>8377051
Most people that come out with a sudden one-hit wonder, or break through on their first title don't. That is, they don't actually do it like that. That wasn't actually their first attempt, nor their first experience.

When outsiders look at these people they might marvel and strive to emulate what they've seen, but they haven't gone through the same process as the ones they're emulating. Nobody that knows what they're talking about expects people to wake up one day and excrete golden nuggets. If you actually believe in something like that you need to go and take a cold shower with extra ice...

Just try and look at it another way. You've got anonymity and loads of cynical critics that aren't going to sugar coat things for you. It's a chance for real practice and if you don't use it all you have is an unjustified belief that by some mystical occurrence you'll produce something great out of nothing. You might as well try to turn lead into gold.

>> No.8377197

I wish writers would post their ideas in the form of actual text from the story or some kind of exciting back-of-the-book blurb.

It's impossible to spark interest from a plot outline, since they all sound dull and contrived.

>> No.8377214

>>8377197

That's difficult mostly because book blurbs don't really work with VNs. And plot outlines and promotional art is really all you can do without a demo.

>> No.8377241
File: 904 KB, 595x842, 77befb6df124cac5c66f8e23ed394e3b.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8377197
April 2nd, 2042. The "Sealing Incident" occurs.

Humanity has discovered a strange world named 'Gensokyo' in an alternate dimension. After many experiments, Eastern Technologies decides to send a human into the new world. However, things don't go as planned, and people on both sides disappear in a suddenly formed new dimension...

Route Alpha -- Lead scientist Reimu Hakurei tries to find out what happened and why another dimension was formed. She also has to figure out how to separate this dimension from her own, as it is growing bigger in size, and will soon swallow our world...

Route Beta -- After a sudden crashing sound and a flash in the sky, youkai started disappearing from all over Gensokyo. The sky is growing darker, plants are slowly dying, and the world seems to grow weaker by the second. Aya Shameimaru, a local newspaper reporter, tries to find as much information as possible on this strange occurrence.

Route Gamma -- Humans and youkai wake up together in a strange, new world. The world seems a perfect combination of both at first, but they soon find out that the world seems somehow...lifeless. Moreover, the protagonist cannot remember who he is, what his name is, or even whether he is human or youkai.

As the three parties separately research their sides of the incident, they discover that what happened was not just an accident, and that a much grander event is bound to happen...

>> No.8377251

>>8377214
Even if the project goes nowhere, it's more entertaining to read a couple of paragraphs with some effort put into them and which hint at a larger story rather than something along the lines of "X happens then Y happens, then everyone Z'd. The end."

>> No.8377262

>>8377251

Well, there's a few VNs like that, I know I posted one. But then again, i've been working on mine for a year.

>> No.8377292

>>8377251
>it's more entertaining to read a couple of paragraphs with some effort put into them and which hint at a larger story
I partially agree but most people who want to work on a project also want to contribute to it. In other words, a vague outline is usually the best you can do to attract other people to a project since it gives them more freedom to do what they wish. Otherwise you need to find others who believe in your own story as much as you do, and that sort of thing doesn't happen very often.

>> No.8377314

>>8377292
Damn, I'd probably make a crappy project leader, since I find it really troublesome when people expect me to respect their (usually) inferior ideas. Even when I just have an outline, I'll have a general feeling of how I would like the whole thing to turn out, which no one else seems to comprehend.

>> No.8377384
File: 44 KB, 500x461, iknowthatfeel.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8377314
>Even when I just have an outline, I'll have a general feeling of how I would like the whole thing to turn out, which no one else seems to comprehend.

>> No.8377403

Is this just hypothetical or are some of you actually already working on your projects in teams? I find it hard to believe that it would be possible to attract any potential members without a substantial amount of text or art of fair quality.

>> No.8377417

>>8377403
I -am- writing something, but it isn't a VN and it is not in a team.

>> No.8377419

>>8377403
Why? I mean, if you want to join a project just join a project. I'm sure most artists, writers, programmers, etc. have stuff they've worked on before.
Though I ask this: if someone's shit, don't let them do anything. I think I'd be a bad project leader because I'd want to please everyone on the team, even that 14-year-old girl who draws "epic naruto fanart".

>> No.8377435

>>8376431
I agree, I still need to work on characterization. Which I'm finding pretty difficult.

Thanks for the feed back.

>> No.8377460

>>8377403
>I find it hard to believe that it would be possible to attract any potential members without a substantial amount of text or art of fair quality.
Yeah, I'm doing something on my own that I will need help with later, so I'll just recruit people once I'm 90% done.
But that only works if you can do majority of your project on your own.

>> No.8377474

I'm a little curious. If I announced right now that I had plans for a specific project that seemed somewhat fun to work with, and that I'm looking for any help I can get, would anyone who is here right now join in?

Purely hypothetical, I don't have anything at all, I'm just curious whether it's still possible to recruit from /jp/ or if you've all given up on the idea that anything could come out of joining a project.

>> No.8377475

>>8377474
I would.
Though nothing would come of it. I'd probably lurk in the IRC or whatever for a day then leave forever.

>> No.8377479

>>8377474
I get my hopes dashed every time, but sure, I'd join it.

>> No.8377494

>>8375550
Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely work on my momentum the next time around.

>> No.8377506

>>8377474
I might join as an artist in at least limited capacity depending on whether the project looked good. but there's a snowflake's chance in hell of /jp/ coming up with an idea I'd like.

>> No.8377518

>>8377403

I've decided that if I need to create Dizzy Hearts by myself i'll do that. If other people want to join, that'd be great. I could explain to them the things that I can't tell the public without spoiling things. But I'm not going to suspend the game while I wait.

>> No.8377560

seems like we have a good number of decent artists in the OC threads, but there never seems to be any word from them in these. or am i mistaken?

>> No.8377583

>>8371564
That was quite an entertaining read, thank you.

>> No.8377763

>>8374214
Isn't that basically what the OC threads are doing, though?

>> No.8378111

I was bored, so i decided to write a semi-true story about what I did while 4chan was down.

http://pastebin.com/6Y8ezZiZ

>> No.8378116

>>8378111
>http://pastebin.com/6Y8ezZiZ
wow its so edgy and deep when you dont use your shift key. youre fuckin ee cummings

>> No.8378135

>>8378111
Pretty cool.

>> No.8378141

>>8378111

Very entertaining read

>> No.8378142

>>8378116
I'm a lazy faggot

>> No.8378433

>>8378111
Ah I eat up stories like this about the internet since I can't relate to real life. Thanks for posting.

>> No.8378958

I might write something later.

>> No.8379296
File: 174 KB, 800x600, 1224197756063.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8374334
Made a thread (>>8377750) but nobody seems interested. The light novel magazine project doesn't seem to be going anywhere either...such a waste, it actually got people seriously interested.

>> No.8379299

>>8379296
You should start up one of your own.

>> No.8379314

>>8379299
See the linked thread. Nobody's interested anymore.

>> No.8379526

>>8379314
I meant a LN magazine.

>> No.8379736
File: 116 KB, 640x480, 1214790169212.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not /jp/ related, but I'm working with a partner on a tabletop wargame. We're really starting to fill out our wiki and rules are complete. We're currently working on the first two faction books.

Can't wait till we get actual minis made. Feels good, man.

>> No.8380591

Hmm.

>> No.8381310
File: 525 KB, 1609x786, exploring the space maze.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wrote part 2 of this story >>8378111 if anyone gives a fuck.

also i'd like to attach more pictures to it so i need to use something better than pastebin, if anyone has any ideas please post them.

http://pastebin.com/YCP0PBuw

>> No.8381386

>>8381310
Neat, I'll give it a read right now.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action