[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 515 KB, 1240x1754, 5478.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8179827 No.8179827 [Reply] [Original]

How might somebody learn Japanese without ever leaving the comfort and safety of their own room? There are classes at my local community college but, frankly, they don't send the professor to your bedroom to lecture. (I called them and checked.)

Ha ha, not really, I'm terrified of talking to people over the phone.

How did YOU learn Japanese? Picture sort of related, as she's the Unmoving Great Library.

>> No.8179835

http://archive.foolz.us/jp/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=%22how+to+learn+japanese%22

>> No.8179956

I fucking hate these threads.

>> No.8180022

>>8179956
You're jealous because you want to learn Japanese, but don't have enough motivation to start.

You can do it, anon. I have faith in you.

>> No.8182260

Get books (download if you need to):
Remembering The Kana (if you need it)
Remembering The Kanji
Genki I
Genki II
Make kana and kanji flashcards and use them.
Acquire electronic dictionaries (pocket PC or whatever).
Complete the assignments and workbook of Genki I and Genki II and maybe it won't be so bad that you didn't take a class if you did the homework.
Get more books:
Making Sense of Japanese Grammar
Japanese The Manga Way
Minna No Nihongo I (another textbook)
Minna No Nihongo II
A Guide To Remembering The Japanese Characters
A Dictionary of Basic/Intermediate/Advanced Japanese Grammar
Jbridge (intermediate textbook)
An Integrated Approach To Intermediate Japanese (intermediate textbook after Genki)
Barron's 501 Japanese Verbs

>> No.8182272

The Handbook of Japanese Adjectives and Adverbs
Basic Connections: Making Your Japanese Flow
Common Japanese Collocations
A Practical Guide To Mimetic Expressions Through Pictures
Breaking Into Japanese Literature
Read Real Japanese
Beyond Polite Japanese
Breakthrough Japanese
Japanese Sentence Patterns For Effective Communication
Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
Kodansha's Furigana Japanese Dictionary Japanese-English English-Japanese
Oxford Basic Japanese-English Dictionary
Kodansha's Compact Kanji Guide

>> No.8182274

>I'm terrified of talking to people over the phone.
I got over this a few months ago by getting a job in which I regularly talk over the phone. Daily life was apprehensive at first, but I gradually accepted that the phone was not going to kill me.

I also make enough money that I am currently enrolling in a Japanese language course at a local community college that starts in January.

Whatever your choice, good luck

>> No.8182294

did a year of japanese, now i want to learn korean.
they are the same syntax and share a few words.
but the writtign system is so much easier

>> No.8182331
File: 34 KB, 650x366, 1315632614270.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8182294

>> No.8182339

>>8182331
From the thumbnail, it looks like there is a censor bar over his hand.

>> No.8182378

>>8179827

I'll just relate my experience here. If you have little to no experience (like, if you still have trouble with kana) then getting off your ass to a semester or two of a real class at a college would be a good start. I studied a bit of Japanese on my own from age 13 to 18, but once I started a college-level course I passed where I'd gotten on my own within two weeks.

The class will be horrible and full of idiots who just want to talk about Naruto, but if it's even half decent it will be fast and thorough enough to get you started. Stick with it for as long as you can bear it, though. The most important part is to drill in the basics hard enough to start studying on your own. I took three semesters before my grades slipped due to lack of studying and I quit.

Outside of class, get Anki and set up some decks to work on your kanji and vocabulary. You may want to get a textbook of some kind, a lot of people like Remembering the Kanji or Genki. If you're cheap/lazy, you can work with Tae Kim/Anki.

The key point is when you know enough to grasp the basics when presented with native text/speech, and then finding an activity using raw Japanese that you enjoy doing even if you don't necessarily understand all of it. It was Nico Nico Douga for me. I watch like 3 hours of stuff off the main daily ranking every day and it's really helped me along.

Consider taking the JLPT at some point to test your skills. It's not really anything to brag about until you get to N2 or N1 (there are 5 levels), but it can be a good way to inspire studying and check your progress.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action