[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 29 KB, 468x464, 1320965234103.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8105549 No.8105549 [Reply] [Original]

How about we nationalize higher education? The government is already paying most of it's expenses, and you can't trust universities to keep tuition under control on their own.

>> No.8105556

Which nation are we talking about?

>> No.8105566

The tuition increases (such as in the UC system in california) are a result of their needing to siphon more more money from the students since the government funding's getting slashed due to Cali being broke. Otherwise they'll suddenly be unable to fund a lot of their research, degree programs and professors. They're already having a hard time making ends meet as it is.

In other words there's actually less gov influence in the schools now, at least here in CA, because it just can't afford it. So, to completely subsidize the schools would be nice for the students, but economic suicide for the government.

>> No.8105570

but the department of education is already busy ruining primary education, why make it worse. I remember back when I was taking some standards of learning test I wanted to go to the bathroom during a break and they wouldn't let me go in by myself. I asked the proctor if they wanted to hold my hand while I peed and they got real mad.

>> No.8105610

Beaner here. Noam Chomsky has said that Mexican public education is overall on the same league as American education, because even though middle and high school are leagues below their American counterparts (yes, this is possible), Mexican public college is free. And private tuitions are cheap as hell too, a very good private college will cost you $500 a month.

>> No.8105619

If you do that, more entry level jobs would require degrees even if they're not needed.
It's a good idea in theory but you'd need to work out the major bugs first.

>> No.8105631

>>8105619
I think the market would decide that, and there's already a huge demand for skilled labor. Unemployment for skilled labor is a lot lower than unskilled.

>> No.8105640

Pieces of paper prove that you're good at more than just rote memorization!

>> No.8105642

>>8105631
Fuck the market.
Anyways, the problem is that the pool of people for unskilled labor is so large that companies look for skilled laborers instead of anyone for unskilled positions.

>> No.8105646

>>8105642
Lets keep the language down man. A great deal of unskilled labor has been outsourced overseas due to globalization, there is no shortage of unskilled labor in the world, but there is for skilled labor.

>> No.8105654

>>8105646
However, not everyone is able to become skilled labor.
You still need to address the problem of unskilled positions being filled by skilled workers, or even worse, the stigma that being an unskilled worker comes with.

>> No.8105658

>>8105654
certainly not everyone can become skilled labor, but we should be working to that end non the less, also I don't see why a skilled worker would settle for unskilled labor which typically pays much less than skilled labor and is hard to come by at the moment.

>> No.8105664

>>8105654
you see the market will fix it by killing off the unskilled labor. i'm skilled labor since i'm a little faggot from the middle class with a silver spoon in my mouth. let me talk about darwinism like i've ever struggled in my life. those dumb poor bastards should just pull themselves up by the boot straps.

also, i don't want to pay any tax to public safety organizations like the fire department and police.

you say all the unskilled labor will riot and murder my family and me? well, let's allow private mercenaries to roam the streets and protect those who can pay.

>> No.8105685

I say we should have another World War to stimulate the economy. We're in the brink of having one anyways.

>> No.8105698
File: 34 KB, 400x352, 442854.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8105610
Noam Chomsky has also denied the killing fields of Cambodia and has a recording of supporting communist thugs.

I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

>> No.8105720

>>8105698
Chomsky also inundated linguistics with generative grammar. Strike three.

>> No.8105721

...oh what the butt?

>>>/pol/

>>>/pol/

fuckin' >>>/pol/

And just in general, do NOT ever present a topic for debate on 4chan. Ever. Even just starting a thread on a serious topic on this site contributes to this site's cultural and intellectual sabotage of multiple wonderful nations.

Regardless of where you're from, you can and should be expected to be smarter and more self-respecting than to not only use 4chan but take it seriously.

>> No.8105723

>>8105721
i guess you're too stupid to take what you read with a grain of salt?

>> No.8105725

>>8105721

If someone presents a serious argument, there's no reason that someone can't respond to it seriously. The "on the internet" (or "on 4chan," in this case) argument is seriously retarded.

>> No.8105727

I read an economic study somewhere that said that more government funding doesn't have a positive effect on research. In fact there were more results when private interests were fulfilling this role. Universities, at least in a research capacity, would be hurt by full nationalization. It's already subsidized a lot though.

I'd look for the source but I'm going to eat dinner instead. Ta-ta faggots.

>> No.8105737

>>8105720
If touhou characters were linguistic theories:
Reimu: Transformational Grammar
Remilia: Cognitive Semantics
Cirno: Functional Grammar
Patchouli: Stratificational Grammar
Nitori: Head Driven Phrase Structure Grammar
Satori: Psycholinguistics
Mima: Structural Linguistics

>> No.8105746

>>8105737
addendum: this is what I get to use my college degree for. So no, I don't think we should nationalize education. Education is pretty much a scam that we buy into because we trust degrees.

at least this thread is now /jp/ related.

>> No.8105776

>>8105746

I'd just forget it all instantly. I never remember things that I don't use.

>> No.8105847
File: 1.01 MB, 1800x4392, Modern New Deal.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8105549

The entire reason we even have a middle class is because of free / extremely cheap college education.

Although if your government is mostly dominated by Wall Street, the Federal Reserve, and the permanent war economy, it's hard to get anywhere.

>> No.8105855

>>8105737
I'm googling these theories as hard as I can, but I'm not seeing a connection between the theories and the Touhous.

>> No.8105858

I have an exam tomorrow which will decide if I can skip right into college, if I fail I'll forever be a neet and probably just kill myself.
/jp/ - blog

>> No.8105867

>>8105858
Good luck!

>> No.8105869

>>8105867
Thank you, I'm pretty sure no other person will tell me good luck.

>> No.8105870

>>8105858
I don't get it, why would you be a neet if you fail a skipping exam? doesn't that imply you're in the middle of education you're about to, uh, skip?
Anyways, godspeed.

>> No.8105876

>>8105858
Being a neet isn't that bad. As long as you have your basic needs met, anyways.

Keep an eye out for self-esteem problems and avoid alienation and you'll be fine.

>> No.8105879

>>8105870
I dropped out of school several years back, found out about this alternative learning system they have and I'm betting everything I have on it.

>> No.8105948

>>8105879
Oh, well, best of luck again.

>> No.8106002

If touhous were eristic arguments:
Reimu: induction, taking claims not accepted as accepted.
Marisa: ad hominem
Sanae: by using opponent's belief
Sakuya: wordspam
Youmu: Apagogic, taking relative claims as solid and disproving them by single contradicting case
Okuu: by non-analogic relativisation
Keine: by abusing dual meaning
Reisen: induced carelesness by making the opponent mad
Nue: ad obscura
Satori: Reversing the proof, based on different values
Koishi: Attacking opponent's will instead of intellect.
Byakuren: Using respected authority to your advantage

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action