[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 190 KB, 580x410, LITERATURE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7930225 No.7930225 [Reply] [Original]

>> No.7930238

>>>/lit/

>> No.7930249

Firstly, >>>/b/

There's always been shitty literature out there. Stop making such statements just because some guy released a shitty book. Politicians release their books all the time, they're pretty shitty themselves but nobody seems to care enough to make such macros. There were shitty books in the past as well you know. If you look around you can find a few decent books from our times, quit generalizing.

>> No.7930258

Just downloaded the book

/jp/ Otaku Culture Otaku is a catchall term used to describe people who are obsessed with Japanese pop culture. One would expect this board to veer into less commonly discussed elements of Japanese culture, but it is dominated by anime. The word otaku is derived from the Japanese word for home, and loosely implies that otaku people spend all their time at home watching anime, playing video games, and otherwise obsessing over nerd culture. Calling someone “otaku” in Japan is an insult, but in the West the term has been embraced as a badge of honor among people who possess a passion for all things Japanese. They are stereotyped as basement-dwelling, unhygienic virgins who sleep with body pillows fashioned to resemble Japanese pop stars, surrounded by massive collections of action figures and DVDs. On 4chan you can find masses of people who are into Japanese pop culture, but you can also find a strong anti-otaku vibe. People who post anime on /b/ are often told to “Go back to /jp/.” On 4chan, otaku are often called wapanese, or white Japanese, in the same way that white people who emulate African-American culture are derisively called wiggers. Otaku are also called weeaboos, which is a term created by a wordfilter—a bit of code that automatically changes one word to another, in this case instituted by 4chan founder Christopher “moot” Poole—that automatically changed wapanese to weeaboo. Weeaboo is a reference to a nonsense word from a Perry Bible Fellowship web comic strip that has nothing to do with Japan or Japanese culture. I suspect moot just thought the word sounded funny.

>> No.7930267

>>7930249
But is it as shitty as "Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies"? I think not.

>> No.7930265

>>7930249
You didn't take that post seriously, did you?

>> No.7930271

Actually, there has always been horrible literature throughout history. The only difference is that this horrible literature is quickly forgotten in about a decade, maybe 50 years at most.
Hell, I just wish the Library of Alexandria hadn't burned down. Just imagine how many terribly shitty books and novels would've been preserved to this day. Our view of antiquity as a time when only brilliant and thoughtful books were written would change forever.

>> No.7930277

>>7930258
I started thinking it'd be funny to point out all the parts of that paragraph that betray how the writer is not a very dedicated 4channer and obviously learned most of his 4chan trivia from ED and other similar wikis. But then I realized doing so would be pointless. If the guy ever shows up at a convention or something though, I will punch him in the face with my weak nerd fist. I get sent to conventions occasionally for work, so I might get the chance someday.

>> No.7930293

>>7930258
>with body pillows fashioned to resemble Japanese pop stars

You heard the guy, weeaboos is all about 3D now.
Burn your Kuroko pillow, and fuck a real slut!

>> No.7930302
File: 602 KB, 1275x1650, 1317068898587.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

First line...

>> No.7930323

>>7930302
lolcows

>> No.7930356

>>7930293
>with body pillows fashioned to resemble Japanese pop stars

Miku is technically a "Japanese pop star".

>> No.7930375

>>7930277
Do it and then publish it.
Name it something like "Cole Stryker doesn't know jackshit." to catch his attention

>> No.7930383
File: 44 KB, 283x283, love_hina.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/g/lobal /b/owel /d/isturbance

>> No.7930391

Where are the tanasinn and aikido posts in this tanasinn and aikido thread?

>> No.7930387
File: 19 KB, 174x173, 1316223093687.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

On the bright side, Cole Stryker is a pretty damn cool name.

>> No.7930401

http://stryker.tumblr.com/

2COOL4U

You are simply nothing, a mere loser.

>> No.7930404

>>7930356
you're just justification his(this book's author) fallacy.

>> No.7930412
File: 86 KB, 494x576, 6039bb4beffbd5ead8084be4f0286b618d42b841.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

4chan school of unwarranted self-promotion

>> No.7930436

>>7930387

>On the bright side, Cole Stryker is a pretty damn cool name.

That's his pen name. His real name is Abraham Finkelsteingoldbergowitz.

>> No.7930448

>>7930436
right and yours is Armin Meiwes

so shut the fuck up, gayass faggot

>> No.7930451
File: 95 KB, 504x360, 1313851467001.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7930448

>> No.7930474

>>7930302
Oh wow

>> No.7930489

If you think about it, Colse Stryker is just a young hot-headed twenty-something liberal arts graduate who happens to, in most probability, browse /b/ in his free time. This so called book is just a product of spontaneous and juvenile zeal for the Legion of Anonymous. However, he obviously couldn't publish something entirely dedicated to that shithole, which would seem like the equivalent of a overexcited brat choosing CoD as the topic of his term essay, so we can safely assume that the rest besides the segment about /b/ or maybe /soc/ is a pile of rambling nonsense and made up facts written just for the sake of adding some weight to the book, figuratively and literally.

>> No.7930529

>>7930489
lolololololol, lololol.

>> No.7930544

>but it is dominated by anime
I don't get why this misconception is so widespread. There is almost no anime on /jp/ whatsoever. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't be suprised if there is more anime on /tg/.

The only thing I can think of is that people confuse VNs and the like with anime.
That, or people just spewing nonsense in cause they are deluded enough to find such a thing hilareous.

>> No.7930558

>>7930544
There is little distinction between "anime" and "anime-style" outside of this board. In light of that, this board is almost entirely "anime".

>> No.7930577

>>7930258
>obsessed with Japanese pop culture
While nerds certainly can be obsessed with pop culture, and many certainly are.
I really don't think the common idea is that nerds are into pop culture.

Pop culture, being popular, being the "normals' interests".
This way, I think most "normals", or rather, "non-nerds", figure that nerds are generally more into "nerd things" as opposed to pop culture which is really just glorified "normal culture".

Or am I wrong?

>> No.7930599
File: 6 KB, 151x300, derp.leaf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7930558
Actually, judging by some of the crap up on Steam (like that Hito-whatsit Hapa or whatever, described as dojin-style rather than anime), there is. Just maybe not among /b/tards and their equivalents.

>> No.7930780
File: 34 KB, 900x650, 1314177749649.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7930544
>I don't get why this misconception is so widespread. There is almost no anime on /jp/ whatsoever.

Imagine you are a normalfag who only maybee watched anime while he was a kid (like pokemon, for example.)

Your life is facebook, drunk parties with "friends", deadmau5 and college.

You discover /b/ in 2010 because one of your buddies told you that those funny memes like forever alone guy are not actually from memebase, but from 4chan. Of course he links you to /b/.

Oh man aren't they hilarious...and those raids they make... They are simply epic, epic for the win. A true internet legion that has no leader and you can easily gain internet fame because when one of those raids gets in newspaper or news, you can brag you participated in it on your facebook or tumblr.
You are participate in a fearsome legion that can change the world, well that's what you think because you are a retard.
Oh wait, 4chan has more boards on not only /b/, lets check those.
/soc/ is good, /v/ is almost like /b/ and maybe you will make a thread about Call of Duty 9 later.

Oh wait what is this? /jp/? What the fuck is that?
"Otaku Culture".
The board is filled with pictures with some kind of anime character. You guess they must be "weeaboos", "weeaboo" is a cool new word you learned at encyclopedia dramatica. Weeaboos are those people who are older than 15 and still watch japanese cartoons. What are those losers doing on this cool and edgy site?
They should fuck off, maybe you'll make a thread on /b/ and ask them to raid this loser fagboard, lulz.
After that maybe you'll write a book about 4chan, because this site (and by that you mean /b/ because no other boards are relevant except maybe /soc/ and /v/) and gain even more fame and maybe even meet moot or get invited to Oprah Show along with him. Yeah that would truly be epic win.

>> No.7930796

>>7930780

>Your life is facebook, drunk parties with "friends", deadmau5 and college.

I thought you said "life" somewhere in there?

>> No.7930942
File: 289 KB, 400x225, 1274839096003.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.thelmagazine.com/TheMeasure/archives/2011/09/23/they-mostly-just-want-to-be-a-part-of-an-
army-of-badass-tyler-durdens-talking-to-cole-stryker-author-of-epic-win-for-anonymous

>Epic Win for Anonymous is already being taught in an NYU media studies course. Academia is typically slow to catch up to this sort of thing, but I'm confident that any university big enough to have a media studies program will offer a class in web culture within the next five years.

>> No.7930948

>>7930942
That is awfully depressing.

>> No.7930948,1 [INTERNAL] 

I believe you shouldn't underestimate Aikido. Now I know you may be thinking, "Why take a weakling martial art like Aikido seriously when I am learning Kendo?" I can see why you would think that, how can a peaceful martial arts like Aikido beat a powerful one like Kendo?

Well, I have a story to share with you.

Years ago, I was a Kendoka, I thought I was the toughest kid in high school, I would pick fights, and kick ass. I was full of hate, until I picked a fight with the wrong dude. He was a Japanese exchange student, I still remember his name, Noboru Takeda.

I picked on him because of his hilarious and thick Japanese accent. I told him I was going to beat him so hard, he would go back to China(Yeah, I was a little racist prick.), he never said anything back, made me wanted to kick his ass even harder.

Well, here comes the fight. I threw men and do strikes, he dodged them like I was a mere white belt. I was tiring out and he knew, I saw the smirk on his face that made me raged hard. I put all my strength in one amazing tsuki, and he grabbed past it to my wrist and threw me over. My back smacked on the hard cement ground, and I was knocked out for who knows how long.

When I woke up I was in the school infirmary, I asked the nurse who brought me here, and you guessed it, Noboru Takeda. The next day, he wasn't at school, he was back in Japan, and I never got to thank him, for saving my life and showing me the light. I soon learned that he was an Aikidoka and have been practicing Aikido ever since to show my thanks to him.

>> No.7930948,2 [INTERNAL] 

I have defeated countless opponents using Aikido, and they always ask me, Why are you so strong?

I answer, I'm not strong, you are.

Aikido uses the strength of the attacker back at them but 10 times stronger(estimate). Using Aikido and I can probably kill a charging Rhino using it's force right back at it, of course, I'm not going to try it, way to dangerous for any sane person.

I recommend practicing Aikido for every /jp/edo, as you are all physically weak, and Aikido is specialized for the weak to defend against the strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDnYNroUmNs

A 50 year old man with cerebral palsy doing Aikido, very touching.

>> No.7930948,3 [INTERNAL] 

Arguably the most powerful martial arts in Japan.

An Aikido practitioner is practically invincible, no one of any martial arts background can ever land a punch or kick on one.

Using the power of the attacker, the Aikido practitioner uses absolutely no energy to knock them down.

A fearsome martial arts it is.

>> No.7930948,4 [INTERNAL] 

-''"::::::::::::::::\     なるほど、tanasinn は     モヘンジョダロ を否定するんではないんだな。
ヽ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\                最近だな、 tanasinn ってえのは
 |::::::;ノ´  ̄\:::::::::::\_,. -‐ァ     __   _____   ______ 
 |::::ノ   ヽ、ヽr-r'"´  (.__    ,´ ,, '-´ ̄ ̄`-ゝ 、 イ、
,.!イ  _,.ヘーァ'二ハ二ヽ、へ,_7   'r ´          ヽ、ン、
::::::rー''7コ-‐'"´    ;  ', `ヽ/`7 ,'==─-       -─==', i
r-'ァ'"´/  /! ハ  ハ  !  iヾ_ノ i イ iゝ、イ人レ/_ルヽイ i |
!イ´ ,' | /__ ,.!/ V 、!__ハ  ,' ,ゝ レリイi <●>∴(・)∵.| .|、i .||
 `!  !/レi'∵∴:(・)∵ レ'i ノ   !Y!         「 !ノ i |
 ,'  ノ   !          i .レ'     L.',.  'ー=-'     L」 ノ| .|
  (  ,ハ    'ー=-'   人!       | ||ヽ、       ,イ| ||イ| /
 ,.ヘ,)、  )>,、 _____,.イ ハ      レ ル` ー--─ ´ルレ レ

>> No.7930948,5 [INTERNAL] 

/    |    |    |
                 |     |    |    |
                   |ー |   l ー-  l
           /⌒ヽ   |    |   l     l
           l   l    |   |   |     |
            |   l   | ー-  |  │ -  l
             |  -‐|    |    |   |     |    /⌒ヽ
           |   |    |    |  |     l   |    ヽ
             l    _!   |    !__,! ‐ 一 |   l     ヽ、
         /⌒ヽ l ‐ \  |         l    〉-‐   l
         l〉   )ヽ、   ヽノ          ヽ、 |     |
        /  人 ヽ、               ヽノ      |      tanasinn
          l     ヽ、\,       ∵∵  /  ノ/      l
        ヽ  ノ \,/     /  ∵        ヽ   l
         \    /                        |
          ヽ、       /  /  l              |
           ヽ、  /   /    |            l
            ヽ、          l          /
             ヽ、           |          /
              ヽ         l        /

>> No.7930948,6 [INTERNAL] 

|
    |
    |
    |  ('A`)
   / ̄ノ( ヘヘ ̄ ̄ ̄

|            ・  . ・
    |         三    三
    |            ̄ ̄
    |  ('A`)
   / ̄ノ( ヘヘ ̄ ̄ ̄

|
    |          (・)   (・)
    |              ○
    |            三 | 三
    |            __|__
    |            ===
    |
    |  (   ')
   / ̄ノ( ヘヘ ̄ ̄ ̄

|
    |        ∴∵∵∵∵∴
    |       ∴∵(・)∴∴(・)∵
    |       ∵∵ / ○\∵∵
    |      ∵∵∵/三 | 三|∵∵
    |       ∵∵∵| __|__ |∵∵ tanasinn
    |      ∵∵∵|  === .|∵∵
    |       .∴∵ \__/∴∵
    |  (   ゚)     ━(〒)━
   / ̄ノ( ヘヘ ̄ ̄ ̄

>> No.7930948,7 [INTERNAL] 

∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵。∴∵
∴∵∴∵:。∴∵∴∵∴: --─- ∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵
∴∵゜∴∵∴∵∴∵  (___ )(___ ) ∴∵。∴∵∴∵ ゜
∴∵∴∵∴:∵∴∵_ i/ = =ヽi ∴∵∴∵。∴∵∴
∴∵☆彡∴∵∵ //[||    」  ||] ∴:∵∴∵∴∵:∴∵
∴∵∴∵∴∵ / ヘ | |  ____,ヽ | | ∴:∵∴∵∴∵:∴∵
∴゚∴∵∴∵ /ヽ ノ    ヽ__./  ∴∵∴∵:∴∵∴∵
∴∵∴∵  く  /     三三三∠⌒> ∴:∵∴∵:∴∵
∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∴∵∵∴∵∴∵
   ∧∧   ∧∧  ∧∧   ∧∧
  (   )ゝ (   )ゝ(   )ゝ(   )ゝ To boldly go where no man has gone before! Tanasinn space!
   i⌒ /   i⌒ /  i⌒ /   i⌒ /
   三  |  三  |  三  |  三  |
   ∪ ∪  ∪ ∪  ∪ ∪  ∪ ∪
  三三   三三  三三  三三

>> No.7932146

>>7930948
Indeed. This crap is more suited to the sociology department.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action