[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 177 KB, 360x240, 1279949568122.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7861019 No.7861019 [Reply] [Original]

Most people make their money selling goods and services marked far beyond their actual value to people who do not bother to research this value.

To those who not NEET here, is your job actually honest? Or do you charge $50 to put together PC parts?

>> No.7861034

>Capitalist system
>Honest job

>> No.7861041

Eh... I work in the hospital supplies industry, we basically import cheap parts, assemble them and ship them for a higher price... But you have to understand that our time is worth something and its used to save lives.

BTW, if you're ever hospitalised in Australia, and need some sort of breathing circuit to assist in breathing, remember that one of the guys from 4chan may have had his hands on it... You're choice, live or die :P

>> No.7861044

>people who do not bother to research this value
Yeah, that's why they charge you. They provide you with goods/services you can can't/can't be bothered to produce/acquire yourself.

>> No.7861047

>>7861041
Hey I know your company. My friend works for a company who supplies UPS and batteries to your company.

>> No.7861048

>To those who not NEET here, is your job actually honest?
Programmer working from home. You decide if neet or not. But I do leave the house every 3-4 days.

I don't think that it is honest.
May pay grade is good but I could get more.
Whats worse though is that I'm working on an automated system that puts people in companies like Apple out of jobs.

Last chrimas party the boss happily told ous that the workforce decreased 50% because of our softwork. So the companies safe money.

I can't wait till the financial system crashes down.
The german DAX went beneath 5000 today.

>> No.7861053

>>7861048
Should have proof readed it. Sorry about the typos.

>> No.7861052

>>7861041
>:P
No. Fucking go away.

>> No.7861055

>>7861047

eh think you're thinking of another company, we don't produce electronic medical stuff, just the tubes and bags and all the connectors... we also do sutures and gut-bags.

>> No.7861057

>>7861048
Productivity increase via technology is one of the most important reason for better standards of living. If we didn't come up with better ways of do things that require less manpower our entire population will still be all hunters and gathers just to feed ourselves.

>> No.7861062

>>7861048
>Whats worse though is that I'm working on an automated system that puts people in companies like Apple out of jobs.
>Apple
You do good work.

>> No.7861070

Here's a thought OP:
If everyone charges "far beyond" the "actual value" of what they sell, and with that gain money which they use to buy things "far beyond" the "actual value", then it's not actually overpriced, and it becomes honest work.

>> No.7861068 [DELETED] 

>>7861048
Nobody said natural selection was pretty. Overpopulation has to be solved one way or the other.

Blame the retards who keep popping out babies they can't afford to give a decent education to. And the NEETs.

>> No.7861076

>>7861062
What about Bandai/Namco then?
But we may get Activision soon as a customer.
That evens it out I guess.

>>7861057
Sounds nice on paper.
But this isn't some technology that gives you better living standart.
Just puts 9 people out of job because 1 person has todo the work instead of 10, while using some software to manage everything.
I don't think thats a good thing.

>> No.7861088

Screw the rules, I have money.

>> No.7861090

>>7861076
>Just puts 9 people out of job because 1 person has todo the work instead of 10, while using some software to manage everything.
No you see that's exactly the point. Society can now produce the same thing that use to take 10 people to produce with 1, thus freeing up the productivity of the other 9 people into doing other things. This is specifically why I mentioned hunter gathers and thus implying agriculture. Agriculture/farmers put all hunter gathers out of job because they are better at producing food. The hunter gathers that have lost their job can then redirect their productivity elsewhere like learn how to work with metal, how to organize a hierarchical society or how to build pyramids. If we didn't develop agriculture, every single one of us would still be spend all day looking for food and still barely avoid starvation, much less achieving things like the internet.

>> No.7861102

Freelancer here. Used to ear $175/day. Honest job but I seriously dont think I should get that much when people doing hard labor dont even earn half as much as I do.

Currently NEETing until my next big contract which is at about $10000/month.

>> No.7861104
File: 116 KB, 640x480, princess2gh6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7861088

>> No.7861105

>>7861048
>programmer working
>neet
that's not the word you're looking for!

>> No.7861111

I get paid largely to do nothing. I work as an it manager for a manufacturing company(if you use a server rack and you live in australia chances are it was made here).

I'm saving up the money in order to move out, start a business, and start other ways to get money. I really don't like having to have a regular sleep schedule, and want to get back to losing control of my life at 4 am.

The figs I can get now are cool though.

>> No.7861118

>>7861048
Automation is fine, however once we reach the point where there are few human jobs left (let's say in 50 years your own job is replaced by an AGI), society will have to radically change its organization, otherwise it leads to a dystopia (or an utopia if rules are appropriately changed). This idea taken too far: http://marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm (I don't directly agree that we would take such a horrible path, but the author is exploring worst-case scenarios.)

>> No.7861124

Programming indie videogames is honest enough.

>> No.7861125

>>7861118
What, you think human society haven't radically changed multiple times in the past with the introduction of new technology? Just look at the Industrial Revolution.

>> No.7861129

>>7861118
You still need someone to make the automaton system/maintenance.
People will still have to work no matter what.

>> No.7861135
File: 86 KB, 656x438, x-com_base_FUUU.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>implying the wasted years of my misspent youth that cursed me to be forever alone and incidentally resulted in me being able to tear apart or assemble a computer in seconds isn't worth $50.

I earned that shit.

>> No.7861137

>>7861125
It's called creative destruction. Productivity increases leave masses unemployed. Masses find newer, worse jobs.

>> No.7861140

>>7861076
>Gaijin putting Bamco out of business.

And nothing of value will be lost. Revenge for making tales games JP onry.

>> No.7861148

I work at a small game company ripping off autists on the internet. It's honest in that we don't lie about what we sell; we don't have to. Our players pay anyway even though most of them know it's a ripoff. I don't think that the services my company provides are anywhere near adequate, but I have nobody to hate except for the customers who keep blindly buying our shit, making it a viable source of profit for me and my company.

But if it wasn't for the job I have now I'd be a NEET again, so it's definitely better than nothing.

>> No.7861151

>>7861148
Nexon?

>> No.7861158
File: 153 KB, 500x500, 1292164333117.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7861148
Fuck off cyberstep dev.
Go back to bed Tempura.
It is way past your bedtime.

>> No.7861163

>>7861129
I meant to say that if we do reach some sort of artificial general intelligence in ~50 years, even the automation/maintenance jobs would eventually be replaced.
However, I still think humans would do work even if they would have no work left to do - even if only for fun.

>> No.7861167

>>7861163
Well of course if you are talking about manufacturing.
What about the banking sector, marketing sector, sales and etc?
Do you really think robot can do all these shit? Broken robot should stick with their car ads before making themselves look stupid.

>> No.7861170

>>7861163
Just because productivity increases, doesn't mean we work any less. People these days probably work as hard as any other period in history, we just want to consume more.

For example, washing machine means you can do the washing quicker and with no manual labor involved. It doesn't mean we spend any less time washing clothes, it just means we demand cleaner clothes. Where as in the days of hand washing you may not change your clothes everyday, with washing machines people can quite easily go for a entire clean set of clothes every day of the week.

No matter how productive we become, our desire to consume is unlimited. We will end up working as hard as we are now, we'll just consume a lot more.

>> No.7861172

>>7861170
So maybe when we have robots to do our laundry, we'll end up changing clothes several times each day,and people who can't afford a robot meido to do their laundry will be called dirty by all the normalfags because they only change clothes once a day...

>> No.7861183

>>7861167
But I'm not talking about manufacturing. We can do manufacturing automation with the knowledge we have today.

What I'm talking about is if we get some major breakthroughs in AI (for example a mature/finished form of OpenCog or a human-sized DARPA SyNAPSE chip)
I'm talking about "strong AI", or "human-level AI". Imagine such an AI working 4-5 orders of magnitude faster than a normal human being simply because it runs on a much more efficient substrate. It would be able to perform all human tasks if need be, but be faster at it; it could branch itself off in threads and parallelize all kinds of jobs that would take months/years for humans to do. I'm talking about a hypothetical "far" future scenario (~50 years) if we get working AGI. We could very well fail at it, but those working on such projects are fairly optimisitic about results and estimate much earlier dates (my estimate was a conservative one).

>> No.7861181

>banking sector
A lot of transactions on institutional level banking are done on what's known as "Straight Through Processing" systems. That means a deal comes into the deal system, gets valued by the pricing model which accepts or rejects the deal, and if accept it flows right through to back office processing then payments all without human intervention.

I should know, that's what I do for a living. We the humans just make sure the system stays running and add new functionality / pricing models to the system to accept new product types.

>> No.7861185

>>7861172
Except for the robot, that's already happening.

>> No.7861194

>>7861185
Well, maybe if you live in some backwards ass third world country where hiring maids is still considered normal, and can be done without being part of the super rich upper class... Waitasecond, are there any such countries still around? Is it acceptable to rape the maids? How hard is it to get a visa?

>> No.7861197

>>7861172
It doesn't even need robots. Back in the days where upper class people have hordes of maids that's what they actually did. Hence why with men suits we have such thing as formal "morning coat" vs less formal "evening coat"

>> No.7861201

>>7861194
It is normal to hire meidos in country like SG/HK.
The question is, do you want to hire mudrace people to be your meido? Well I think you can hire viets and chinks as well but dream on if you think your anime meido fantasy will come true.

>> No.7861228

>>7861201
This is true. You can get a village girl to be your meido in Indonesia, but she'll still be an Indonesian. Maids as you know them, wearing maid outfits and calling their masters "goshujin-sama", simply do not exist.

>> No.7861240

>>7861228
They exist in Japan, with the right amount of money.

The amount being in the millions.

>> No.7861245

>>7861240
Prostitute/mistress != meido.

>> No.7861255

I am a cabal magician, I get paid $20 an hour by the government to abjure demons idiotic wiccans have summoned without protection circles and help with covering the evidence. Your job might suck, but mine sucks more. It gets real shitty after the tenth "So we meet again, Andras!" moment or so, that fucker now has a grudge on me and waking up to see a two meter tall owlman beside your bed gazing at you with murder in his eyes is not a good way to start your day.

Fortunately not many people summon demons successfully nowadays, mostly because part of our job is to distribute false information on the internet. So I get to post on /jp/ and fap to loli whenever I'm not mauled by unspeakable horrors, plus Barbas is a real cool demon when you summon him right and even turned me into a little girl. I just look the other way when he is let loose on Earth, he's a sensible dude and doesn't start murder sprees like the other asshats anyway so there's not much merit in sealing him.

>> No.7861252

I don't see what the problem is with having an allowance at 24.

>> No.7861261

>>7861194
Sorry, I was referring to the "will be called dirty by all the normalfags because they only change clothes once a day" part.

>> No.7861269

I work for a non-profit organization saving people's lives for just above minimum wage.

>> No.7861297

I miss the times when most businesses would base themselves on the ideal that integrity makes money, not speculation. Expanding into any market these days is all about brute force marketing, not steadily building up a good reputation.

Is this really the inevitable result of mass communication for brute force marketing to be more efficient, or is it still possible to go back to the old ways if we manage to keep ourselves from being blinded by greed and desire for quick money?

>> No.7861300

>>7861255
See, I want this job, but I haven't reached thirty yet.

>> No.7861317

>>7861297
Brute force marketing is only viable if the firm can back it up with quality products/services. Otherwise, they'll fail, whereas firms that begin as small, not widely-known entities will expand proportional to the quality of their shit.

>> No.7861325

If you're not willing to charge more than its value, then enjoy being poor faggot.

>> No.7861410

I'm paid by the government to partake in an experiment on solitary confinement with limited global network exposure.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action