[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 398 KB, 1038x680, shit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7756917 No.7756917 [Reply] [Original]

Okay.
This is bad.
This is a bad, bad game.

It is teemingly infested with the gay, but it not just that, it’s the fact that the social commentary and characters portrayed are so absolutely polarized and one dimensional that it’s obvious the type of person who wrote it. Which automatically leads me to the conclusion that said person who would inflict this piece of garbage on the Internet is none other than some retarded femanon fanfic whore. She even included and irreverent homage to 4chan in the game… an incredibly annoying mandatory homage that does NOTHING to improve the plot in any way, shape, or form.

>> No.7756918

The writing is marginal, the story is vapid, and the aesthetic is tedious. This game is insufferably bland in every possible aspect. It is not intellectual, it is not even my favorite brand of intellectual, that being pseudo-intellectual, and it is definitely not emotional nor moving. It is so absolutely insipid that it even managed to fuck up the shallow infatuation we enjoy in the form of moe, that being the jailbait arc of Arianna, a character who started off likeable, but from a combination of lack of screen time and character development, eventually dissolved into a bland and useless vestigial growth to the rest of the subplots, all of which are so, so bad.

>> No.7756919

babby's first OELVN

>> No.7756920

If there’s anything the writer can be pinned for, it’s writing what they know… which is themselves and their personal views, mostly. It’s worth noting that every single character is basically the same shit - predominantly atheist liberal homosexuals. No, really, four of the eight main characters in the game are gay. This wouldn’t be bad if not for the fact that the visual novel reads like a vent for the author's yaoi fetish. The author has no qualms about using the story as her personal soapbox in this regard, so the game is so busy pushing this melodramatic bullshit down your throat that it eschews all substance. There’s even one of THOSE one dimensional antagonistic characters, Taylor, who basically exists solely so that the author can shit all over her because she harasses one of the faggots at one point.

>> No.7756921

>>7756919
Babby's first OELVN would be KS.

>> No.7756922

But none of these characters are bad specifically because they are gay. No, that’d be a retarded reason for disliking a character. These characters are bad because one is a trite personification of the typical anon as a female who ACTS like an anon in everyday conversation, one is a braided meganekko with zero personality besides being smarter than everyone else and being a lesbian, an endlessly annoying Japanese American twink whose only characterization is being a little bitch and a weeaboo, and… Nolan, who basically exists to be the center of a shitty love triangle and has very little characterization besides thinking his ex is a bitch and being a faggot the whole time.

>> No.7756923

Look at that ahegao.

>> No.7756925

One of the few decent characters, who even still was only passable because she wasn’t nearly as absolutely obnoxious as everyone else in the story, kills herself in one of the most uninteresting manners possible, at which point the MC is haunted by, wait for it, a goddamn Shinigami. Do note that this takes place in America in a plot that until then had been relatively slice of life. One of the literal faggots in the game not soon after your first encounter with the thing gives an incredible erroneous speech explaining what a Shinigami is in a context otherwise unrelated to the MC‘s experiences with one, and when a physical description is given, the MC asks if a Shinigami is basically like the grim reaper (which anyone with any understanding of one knows it is), but the other character proceeds to say, “no, it’s more like a pretty girl in a kimono.” And guess what, the Shinigami is a pretty girl in a kimono. God damn it.

>> No.7756926

My biggest qualm was that you couldn't get the password to see that girl's nude pics.

>> No.7756927

>>7756921
obviously OP didn't read that first, or he would not have been so surprised over oelvns.

>> No.7756928

I found it really funny, actually, how the author pointed out how they were being DEEP at times. Like when it blatantly mentioned metafictionalism. Which is what it was performing and was continuing to perform throughout. But to me it seemed like the author was screaming, "HEY LOOK AT THIS LOOK AT HOW DEEP MY STORY IS,” because she felt the need to write it like that even though it was already painfully obvious what was going on, as though her audience was a bunch of children whose only reading material is shitty shallow fanfiction in the first place.

tl;dr: Don’t read this shit, it sucks.

>>7756927

Katawa Shoujo isn't nearly as terrible as this trash.

>> No.7756932

Fujoshi wanking at its finest.

>> No.7756937

>>7756932

Pretty much, yeah.

>> No.7756938

Though I see no problem with the characters being gay (besides, weren't many of them bisexual rather than gay?), a lot of what you're saying is right. The author is known to be a very obnoxious and arrogant, and it does show in the script.

Also I couldn't help but feel that the Charlotte or whatever was her name subplot was unnecessary and insipid. The final twist also felt superficial. The blond guy falling in love with the Japanese dude felt unnatural, like it had been placed there just to make a point about how a manly straight guy can be changed through love or something. Sure, that can happen, but at least try to write plausibly. A lot of the developments were transparent like that.

I did find it vaguely entertaining, but there were too many clear faults that made it harder to enjoy the whole thing. If the art would have been bad, I could have forgiven it, but it was also inconsistent. If the story would have been silly, I could have ignored it, but it was also contrived. The list goes on; overall, there's not much to praise.

>> No.7756941

I find this an interesting review and wish to read it in depth later.

>> No.7756943

>>7756928
Sounds like R07.

>> No.7756944

>>7756926
It's on the writer's blog. Because gee, you obviously want to read the blog. Quite blatant, eh?

>> No.7756949

Wait, people actually read OELVN shit? I thought this was a joke thread, or copypasta or something...

>> No.7756955

>>7756949
People actually make them and people read them. It's shocking, I know. I have to wonder if they every look back on them and feel embarrassment for making such garbage.

>> No.7756964

>>7756949
I give OELVNs a chance. They never delivered.

>> No.7756978

>>7756938

Exactly. And again, the primary reason the characters are bad are not because they are gay, it's because they are really, really flat characters whose most prominent aspect is their homosexuality.

>>7756943

I was actually reminded of Ryukishi myself, but trust me, the styles are completely different.

>>7756949

A friend sent it over to me, and since the guy is a bro I decided to give it a shot. My first impressions from the preview screenshot were dismal, but when I started playing the actual game I found the posting mechanic interesting and it looked like it wasn't going to be that bad... but I was wrong. So, so wrong.

>> No.7756981

>>7756978
>A friend sent it over to me
>since the guy is a bro
I believe you should leave this place, fine friend.

>> No.7757020

Now, my question is the following. Is there any glimpses of improvement in the story?

It might not be a good attempt, but do you see anything that could point towards the writer feeling somewhat ashamed of this piece a few years down the line, having worked on the weak aspects of pacing and characterization?

I ask because I already feel bad about the few pieces I managed to get through years ago. Guess what I really want to know is if I should check whatever they do after this.
Take into account I say this in complete ignorance of both the complete game (Been putting it off for months) and the author.

>> No.7757038

>>7757020

This is the only piece I've read by the author, so no, I don't know anything about them improving. If anything, given >>7756938's assertion of the writer's arrogance and obnoxiousness, I'd doubt it.

>> No.7757043

>>7757020
It's nice to see someone with an open mind and some forgiveness in /jp/, since many people here judge a creator for good if one of their products is bad.

But in this case, personally, I wouldn't trust them. First off, the maker's reputation seems to be as described in this thread. Secondly, the VNDB ratings for the writer's works over 4 years show no clear signs of improvement. In fact, the clearly worst rated one is her second most recent, with a whopping 3.8 rating.

>> No.7757051

Wasn't this that OELVN that was thrown together in a month for some writing contest

The author probably didn't intend it to be DEEP, it's a VN about fucking Facebook and teen angst, why would you hold it to the same standards as legitimate VNs? It's like the faggots who complain about poor characterization in nukige, they're completely misinterpreting the purpose of the game.

>> No.7757060

>>7757038
>>7757043
Well, I guess that's that.
Sounds like they are just treading over familiar ground without taking risks or working on improvement. It's a path if things work, but it seems that whatever potential that could be there is going to remain buried.

If anything it stands as a lesson for anyone trying to jump into it. Story is still the most important aspect of any piece and characterization is the aspect that makes the reader go from judge to completely absorbed by the plot.

>> No.7757063

>>7757051
Not the guy you quoted, but "so bad that it's good" stories have their limits, even if it was never meant to be taken seriously.

You sound like the author though.

>> No.7757065

>>7757051
>The author probably didn't intend it to be DEEP
She intended it to be deep though.

>why would you hold it to the same standards as legitimate VNs?
Because it is one, perhaps?

>> No.7757066

>>7757051
>Wasn't this that OELVN that was thrown together in a month for some writing contest

This is interesting. /jp/ should have a VN contest with who can make the best VN in a month.

>> No.7757074

>>7757066
Dev time of one month won't yield anything good.

>> No.7757077

>>7757074
They could be short. Probably anything much longer than that and people would lose interest.

>> No.7757081

>>7757074
It doesn't have to be great or long. Just something to flesh out the creativity a bit. Some simple images and a short story.

>> No.7757082

>>7757066
I would certainly be up for it. Problem is that I could get you a mediocre script in a month, but no art or audio assets.

Actually, that could be interesting. Just a plot focused contest, the ones that get the most interest get an art team to make it a full thing.
The difference with past /jp/ projects being that the script is already done and not just a half baked idea that would totally be an awesome VN

>> No.7757085

>>7757077
This game is less than 3 hours long, tried for a branching story and it failed.

Developing an VN in a month is just impossible.

>> No.7757086

From a glance at this thread it seems it's about a homosex game, but a glance at the OP pic makes me think it's a game about girls with a really homosex title.
Which is closer to the truth?

>> No.7757134

>>7757086

PROTIP: 2 of them are guys.

And 2 of the girls are homosex.

1 of them dies early.

1 of them would be good if she didn't barely appear.

1 is a huge bitch.

>> No.7757147

The author is basically the personification of everything that is wrong with /u/.

>> No.7757151

What is this thing?

>> No.7757157

>>7757151
Really? You can see the title plain as day in the OP.

>> No.7757162
File: 971 KB, 1025x642, gay.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yep, this game is bad.

>> No.7757164

>>7757134
I assume they're both homos from my inability to distinguish them from women at a glance.
Sounds awful.

>> No.7757177

>>7757162
This is reaching offensive levels of faggotry.

>> No.7757191

>>7757177

It's basically the author's idiotic fantasy world where everyone is gay and talks like a gigantic retard.

>> No.7757195
File: 110 KB, 1008x640, 2136120931.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7757203

>>7757195
Well, at least the art is alright, I guess...

>> No.7757215
File: 971 KB, 1028x645, moregay.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7757203

Only the paper dolls. Every other piece of art is terrible. The backgrounds are stolen from somewhere else.

>> No.7757219

Legitimate OELVN reviews on my /jp/?

What is this sorcery?!

>> No.7757222

>>7757219
Cleansing leaves space for discussion could be a reason.
I wouldn't have paid much attention to it if it hadn't hanged around the top pages for so long. With shitposting being taken care of there's more time and focus on legitimate threads. Even if they are for OELVN...

I'm just glad people are sharing and adding to the original.

>>7757215
Remember reading a mention of the CG being just awful. Care to post some caps illustrating that?

>> No.7757228

Jesus, does the writer have any social interaction in real life? This shit sounds like posts in an anime forum/chat.

>> No.7757232

>>7757222

Well I welcome this discussion. I don't entirely agree with the review. I think it was a decent read with some flaws that turned me off but worth a quick read if you're bored.

>> No.7757236

>>7757232
Could you answer >>7757020 from your point of view then?
If you see less flaws in it, then perhaps you managed to find more potential in it than the rest.

>> No.7757246 [DELETED] 
File: 33 KB, 503x386, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thanks for saving me some time, /jp/.

>> No.7757253

>>7757236

I saw a lot of the flaws you did in it and it doesn't really improve later on. I just think it's a step in the right direction in terms of delivery and how it went about delivering pieces of the story.

>> No.7757282

>>7757219
Legitimate and OELVN don't belong in the same sentence.

>> No.7757436

>>7757282

If only because it's such a retarded acronym. It's totally possible for non-japanese to create captivating stories and attractive art, after all. It's just that the people who make them tend to put more effort into emulating the style of Japanese VNs than having a coherent plot.

>> No.7757765

>>7757436
Pretty much this.

Back in the early years there were quite a few western gmes that could now be seen as comparable to early eroge. The primary difference between the west and Japan is that while the rest of the world ran after the next shiny new toy a lot of people invested time in niche and dated genre.

Failure to realize that these are essentially "adventure games" is probably the biggest problem that impedes amateur western developers from creating genuinely enjoyable works. For this reason there are also no legitimate OELVN because the very term implies emulation in a way similar to fan fiction.

These amateur developers have their priorities completely wrong. It is like they are trying to make an OELJRPG rather than stop being a faggot about it and make an RPG with elements of other cultures you enjoy, something the Japanese do all the time.

>> No.7757782

why is op so mad

>> No.7758390

>>7757782

because this game is bad

>> No.7758425

ITT: slowpoke.jpg

Its a shitty gaijin VN filled with /b/ memes and social networks bullshit. At least it had somewhat of a coherent message, whether or not it is relevant.

tl;dr some gaijin pig cow decided to make a VN

>> No.7758448

I thought this might be worth a download when it came out, because by OELVN standards, the art is pretty good, mediocre at the very least.

But goddamn, this looks literally very gay, is there a single straight relationship going on? To begin with, is there even a protagonist, or are you just reading from some second person omniscient perspective?

>> No.7758452

>>7758448
You are a teacher who can end up in a relationship with one of the students.

>> No.7758455

As marginalized nerds who society would reject instantly for our deviancy, we will now abhor the presence of homosexual relationships because we all secretly wish to be normalfags.

>> No.7758457

>>7758448

Actually there are 2 straight relationships in the game, depending on the arc, but the fact that there are only 3 males in the game doesn't leave much choices. The MC is the teacher.

>> No.7758464

>>7758448
You are the new teacher of a small class. A hot blackhaired chick wants your cock. Everyone else wants you to hear about their struggles with homosexual relationships.

The only straight relationship is you and jailbait. Yeah, there is a Catholic guy who has a girlfriend but has no problem with dumping her to start dating an asian guy. He changes his sexuality immediately.

The thing is, this is not ENTIRELY bad. Pacing is quite good. Some dialogues can make you smirk. There are moments that make you think the girl that wrote it has potential. But forced gay drama, LOL4CHAN jokes and the ending are disappointing. Tread carefully. 5+/10.

>> No.7758479

>>7758455
I think people don't so much loathe homosexuality as its portrayal here. I'm of a sexual minority myself (bi, or to be precise pansexual), but I can't just identify with the over-stereotypical portrayal of gays here.

The glasses girl is the only one who seems both in a gay relationship and what most would describe as normal, this probably because she's just a plot device without personality to begin with, other than that they are depicted... well, weirdly and somewhat prejudicedly even. The only male character who is openly gay at the beginning is a stereotypical feminine homosexual, the lesbian is a meme-spouting tomboy and so on. Besides being gay/lesbian, there's not very much to them, and their sexuality is shown stereotypically for most part.

As someone who has lived as a non-straight person and who has had many gay people in my life otherwise as well, I just don't like the approach here. We have more to us than just our sexuality, and most gays are pretty normal people whose sexuality isn't obvious at first glance. When I see writers showing sexual minorities in this light, I can't help but feel we're being fetishised in a bad way.

>> No.7758480

>>7758455
That's going a bit far.

>> No.7758509

>>7758464
>Pacing is quite good.
Yeah. Abrupt resolutions to each students problems without any form of build-up is good pacing.

>> No.7758518

>>7758479
>fetishised
That's the word I've been looking for. Author of this vn comes out as a rabid fan of yaoi.

The defining trait of gay characters is "being gay". That's a sign of bad writing.

>>7758509
That's why ending is really disappointing. Everything was so convenient, I felt a twist coming. And I got one. It was retarded as hell.

>> No.7758520

>>7758464
>>7758509

Yeah, the pacing is pretty shit, actually.

>> No.7758534 [DELETED] 

>>7756938
Does /jp/ like Junjou Romantica and Sekaiichi Hatsukoi?

Sage for not contributing to this thread.

>> No.7758538

>>7758534
>Sage for
Okay, I chuckled.
Go back to your usual board.|/spoiler]

>> No.7758548

>>7758538
But he's correctly using sage, unlike you.

>> No.7758554

>>7758464
>>The thing is, this is not ENTIRELY bad.

Yes it is.

Are you inexperienced with actual VNs?

>> No.7758557

Written by a yaoi fangirl?
I can smell shit before I even decide to download it
Seriously, literature written by a yaoi fangirl is usually very bad.

>> No.7758559

>>7758554
This poster's taste > everyone else's tastes

>> No.7758575

>>7758559

Most-people-in-this-thread's tastes > this poster's taste.

Seriously though, besides being butthurt about opinions, this is a work of objectively bad quality. Popularity is often an effective measure of quality of a work unless that work is for children (Naruto, Twilight), but irregardless of that, the OELVN is bad for every single reason listed in this thread.

>> No.7758582

>>7758575
>irregardless

>> No.7758588

I don't mind the gayness in the least, but the fucking message of how privacy is awful and outdated rubs me in all the wrong ways. That, and the characters have about as much personality as sandpaper, the writing sucks, and the conclusion is fucking awful.

I liked the whole email/facebook etc. viewing deal, too bad everything around it was so shitty.

>> No.7758594
File: 17 KB, 338x383, hurr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7758582

herp

How unfortunate that I didn't catch that.

Well, whatever. 4chan, who cares?

>> No.7758605
File: 43 KB, 250x250, 1259788339024.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7757162
> mfw I want to make a good VN/dating sim someday but I'm afraid that it'll end up like this shit

>> No.7758607

>>7758575
Sure it's bad, but I'd say that it isn't entirely bad in that there's worse out there. Personally I'd say that the implementation of social media into the game was an interesting choice.

>> No.7758613

>>7758605
Don't worry about it. Practice makes perfect, so everyone's first works are horrid. The real question is whether or not the maker is able to learn and improve with the next one, and the one after that.

Also, not being an arrogant bitch often helps here. If you admit your mistakes and have humility, no decent person is going to hate you for it.

Besides, making something is better than not making anything at all!

>> No.7758617

>>7758607

Indeed, if there's one thing that people continued to point out as an interesting mechanic, it was the social network system that was used. Unfortunately, the plot is so terrible that it ends up not mattering anyway because the shit it presents is just that - shit.

And sure there are worse things, but that doesn't keep this from being very bad. And not in a funny way. It's just... bad.

>> No.7758619

>>7758605
Just do the opposite of what the author of the image you posted does, and you are on the right track.

>> No.7758625 [DELETED] 
File: 94 KB, 399x388, k251697_sadfrog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7758613

I often have that fear as well.

>> No.7758628

how retarded do you have to be to take it seriously

>> No.7758634

>>7758628

It's not good even if you don't take it seriously. It's just a pile of shit.

>> No.7758630
File: 94 KB, 399x388, k251697_sadfrog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7758605

I often have that fear as well.

>> No.7758643

>>7758634
yea. doesnt makes whining about unrealistic gays less retarded

>> No.7758661

>>7758630
As do I, but I think we have to take a more positive attitude towards it.

The first work just won't be good, that's a given. We can polish it all we want and at most we'll get something decent with the potential to become really good later. But the thing is that we won't get there by sitting around, too afraid of taking the risk and trying.

I think the difference from wasted attempts like the OP work is an inclination towards improving. Not taking any critic or harsh review as "Whatever, haters gonna hate", but taking it to heart and looking at the weak aspects for improvement.

Come on, let's get ourselves out of this creative hole and just attempt writing.

>> No.7758663

>>7758643

And whining about that whining is even worse.

>> No.7758678
File: 180 KB, 600x450, 1290039389824.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7757228
That's how highschool kids speak these days. Get with the times.

Also this was an okay VN for being put together in a month.

>> No.7758674 [SPOILER] 
File: 224 KB, 360x400, 1262198588496.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7758661
> let's get ourselves out of this creative hole and just attempt writing.
I shall. I'm going to start with fanfiction.

>> No.7758687
File: 240 KB, 600x450, 1290576640642.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Also her previous work Digital: A Love Story was much better.

>> No.7758698

>>7758678
>>7758687
The process shouldn't be taken into consideration when reviewing the finished product. Years from now when people download it they're not going to be thinking "Oh, they had only a month to do this", but "this is objectively terrible, why didn't they spend some more time polishing it".

I get that your opinion is different and we've had a nice conversation on differing views before in this thread. But seriously, stop it with the avatar using. That is not okay.

>> No.7758717
File: 13 KB, 400x300, 1289230436955.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7758698
I disagree. Development time should (and is) factored into the overall quality of a game. Creating a visual novel (even a three hour one) in the span of a month is a very difficult task. She likely didn't create this to be some masterpiece of work to be heralded for years to come, but just something she wrote in a month.

>> No.7758750

>>7758717

Different anon. No, time spent doing something should never factor into forgiving shit. I haven't played this game, but if it took a year, a month, or a week to do, it doesn't matter.

The author realizes something, and as long as it's there, it's there, doesn't matter how long he took to do it. If someone draws a shitty drawing and tries to excuse himself saying he spent five minutes doing it, or whatever, it's still a shitty thing.

You could say that more time should have been spent doing it and maybe it would have been better, but that's just guessing, and it doesn't factor into the actual product that was released.

>> No.7758759
File: 627 KB, 950x2622, oWKhJ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7758717
I insist. Imposing arbitrary handicaps on themselves and then using them as a justification for a lousy product is inexcusable.

>> No.7758828

>>7758674
Hey man, as long as you are writing a story that is engaging and has pretty good art more power to you.
I want to try my hand at VNs some day too. Let's all do our best and take note of why people think this game is so bad. Learn from other's mistakes.

>> No.7758898

I'm really happy to see all the other people trying their hand at the same thing as I. Let's all try our best, /jp/! I'll play your VNs, even if they are bad.

>> No.7758932

I downloaded Ren'Py just now.
Fuck procrastinating, I'm gonna be a creator!

>> No.7758947

I liked the VNs Mugen makes...

>> No.7758952

This thread took a weird turn. Good luck!

>> No.7758957

>>7758932
Good luck. I find it hard as hell to write anything.

>> No.7758974

>>7758957
For me, writing comes pretty naturally, and what is hard is to decide what to write. The more specific, the harder: an overall idea is easy, but thinking up the scenes, arranging them and such is hard to me.

>> No.7758979

>>7758663
Guess what? Whining about people whining about that whining is even worse.

>> No.7759007

>>7758974
I think the hardest part is when you finish up writing down a full scene you had in your head. You look up and it's only like 2-3 paragraphs.

>> No.7759024

>>7758932
YOU SHOW THEM ANONYMOUS

>> No.7759026

>>7759007
Oh man, that makes me fall into despair every time.

>> No.7759041

>>7759007
Heh, that has happened to me too! But you can't just needlessly prolong it, either, so you end up feeling a bit disappointed in your vision of the scene, right?

For now, I'm just writing the plans for my project, but I'm really afraid that I'll have these moments when I start writing it.

Another thing is when you think up a character but realise they have no significance to the plot or a prominent role to the other characters, but you've grown so attached to them that you don't want to remove them either.

>> No.7759075

>>7759041
I have the opposite, I don't know if the character is worthy of attention so I tend to drop them like flies, no attachment at all.

It's a bad sign when you can describe a character in no more than a line I think, and I'm so self critical that more often than not I start from scratch.

I like where this thread has headed. Perhaps we should have more writing discussions in the future, check on each others' progress and why not, post drafts and receive notes on how to improve. It's hard to break from the "fanfic scum, I am not worthy" mentality, but seeing like minded mates that share concerns over quality, well, it makes me happy and pushes me to try harder.

>> No.7759099

>>7759075
I was thinking the same thing. A thread for aspiring VN creators might be able to attract capable artists and musicians for projects as well. And besides, a lot of us probably don't have too many friends to share our worries and triumphs with otherwise, so let's do it!

>> No.7759108

>>7759099
Once again, it's worth noting: if you guys are interested in taking part into projects or just talking about your areas of expertise with your fellow peers, feel free to join #jp-devel @ irc.rizon.net. We are usually quiet, but whenever someone brings up a related subject, we can get the ball rolling.

Just a heads up.

>> No.7759113

>>7759108
Is it an anonymous channel, or a regular one?

>> No.7759119

>>7759113
Regular one. Not even going to lie, some people there know each other, so sometimes it might pass as a circlejerk. But we try to keep it real.

>> No.7759128

>>7759119
Too bad. I'm just a really shy person with little confidence, so the thought of attaching myself to a nick/identity that others will recognise is a bit hard. I feel like people will think of me as trash.

But I'll consider joining the channel, nonetheless.

>> No.7759142 [DELETED] 

>>7759128

>> No.7759145 [DELETED] 

>>7759128

>> No.7759153

>>7759128
If it makes you feel any better, I don't think it's a judging atmosphere. If anything it's a place for sharing and personal growth.

Even if your works could use some work that will be it. Nothing like a negative reputation following you to the ends of the world. Plus it's just IRC, you can just change your nick and identity and move on.

I just joined and it would make me glad to have another newcomer with me in there.

>> No.7759165
File: 438 KB, 788x720, 1308869659557.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I know that there are those who believe their high school English education is enough to make them writers. So before you get any weird ideas, try writing something and have some other people comment on it first.

We all have ideas. But not everyone of us can write. Even if a visual novel is supposed to be mostly vapid and no literature, making something people can read helps. And a good story isn't just about the destination and the plot twists.

I guess this is where your supposedly refined tastes work against you. If you can't stand people making trash, you're even more unlikely to forgive yourself for doing so.

>> No.7759166

Look at all the rage.

It's just entertainment, cheap entertainment.

>> No.7759198
File: 31 KB, 470x400, 1313108486133.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>112 posts and 12 image replies omitted

>> No.7759250

>>7758932
Finished going through the Ren'Py tutorial to see what it's capable of, and what the hell, this thing seems pretty robust. Definitely better than expected.
I'm not planning on making a proper VN until I get some experience(though I do have a simple, short idea I intend to realize sooner or later), so I hope you don't mind me showing you some pointless short vignettes every now and then.

>> No.7759252

>>7759165
True. Add to that the fact that I'm ESL and you get a very selfconscious writer. At least I keep working on it and have gotten some decent reviews so far

>> No.7759274
File: 197 KB, 516x386, Picture-5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7759165
Every single one of us can write.
Writing isn't hard.
Good writing is.
But you know what? People aren't just born good writers. Well, most people aren't.
You need to learn it.
And learning takes practice.
So if you write something and it turns out to be shit and people hate it, don't give up. Just try again. Read books. Look for advice online. And keep writing.
Don't hide what you wrote, but share it with people. It won't be perfect at first. Don't expect it to be. Hell, there's good chance you won't ever find it perfect.
But good writing, on the level of making an entertaining visual novel, isn't some god-given talent. Anyone with at least some intelligence can learn to write.
The key is not to give up.
Good luck.

>> No.7759642

>>7759274
That and not dismissing any negative comment as "haters gonna hate". That's just dumb and halts your growth.

>> No.7759661

>>7759642
dismissing any negative comment is wrong.
"Most of them" is about right.

>> No.7759666

>>7759642
Change "any" into "all" and you're right.

>> No.7759686

>>7759661
>>7759666
Would you care to elaborate on that?
I agree that "your shit sucks because you're a fag" can be easily shaken off, but I worry that they might have a point but just can't word it properly. Just because it comes from such a source does it not deserve consideration?

>> No.7759802

>>7759686
Well, there's good criticism, bad criticism (wrong points, too negative, badly worded or critiquing matters of taste for example) and there's plain hating. There are also people who have trouble over being too receptive to criticism and who get discouraged or try to fix what isn't broken.

As a general rule, only good criticism is worth listening to. Listen to the people who seem intelligent and who you can see have thought about your work before giving their opinion. Shitty criticism is going to lead you in the wrong direction and listening to haters is just going to kill your motivation.

There is way more shitty criticism than you'd think, and far too many people listen to it. Ignoring all criticism is bad too, of course, but just because some kids take that approach doesn't mean the completely opposite one - listening to all critics, regardless of how good the actual critique is - is much better. People need to use their common sense and see whose words are worth listening to.

>> No.7759877

>>7759802
That's a nice way to put it. I do tend to hear criticism from all sources which honestly is not working out. Starting from scratch at every turn is just tiresome and I'm getting tired of the whole process.

Going to give it another shot, be more selective of what I pay attention to in the future.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action