[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 1.57 MB, 800x1011, alice_book.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7751509 No.7751509 [Reply] [Original]

How are your Japanese studies going, /jp/?

>> No.7751514

>>7751509
I just realized that the picture is in Chinese. Sorry about that, folks.

>> No.7751515

I don't have the money to study Japan.

>> No.7751512

About to install rosetta stone.

>> No.7751524

>>7751517
Well, that could pose a problem.

>> No.7751517 [DELETED] 
File: 59 KB, 255x255, 130915612248u.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7751518

very slow atm, using those ankidicks for kanji and vocab. studied at imperial college doing evening courses, hope to go out to Japan next year to study hardcore.

>> No.7751528

I know my kana and basic kanji but I'm too lazy to progress further.

>> No.7751539

heisig erryday 420

>> No.7751547

Going on my 12th year on the heiseg method, I'm getting closer- I can feel it.

>> No.7751558

>>7751547
that book is so long man, the guy just blabbers on a load of bloody waffle!

I just don't get what he's going on about, he's giving you ways to memorize them but you end up remembering them for totally different reasons.

>> No.7751563

ITT people saging because they'd rather see another toeho thread on the front page instead...

>> No.7751565
File: 1.09 MB, 1748x2480, 1304366594791.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've gotten all the kana and about 300 words from the JLPT 4 complete.
I'm going through Tim Kae's grammar tutorials and practicing my vocab daily.
Other than that, I've enrolled in a course this fall, hoping for the best.

>> No.7751570

While I'm doing Heisig's RTK, is it better to learn grammar through the Genki books or Tae Kim's blog? Kinda doing both right now since I'm pretty indecisive, but Tae Kim's is a bit hard to follow.

>> No.7751580

My problem with using kanji decks with anki is that you end up judging the meaning by the kana underneath it, therefore not actually memorizing the kanji.

>> No.7751575
File: 58 KB, 454x454, 1272433934295.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They're not.

Why would I waste my time when weeaboos like you will learn it and translate my shitty anime for me for free?

>> No.7751584

>>7751580
any advice on this?

>> No.7751592

I'm taking a break to focus on other stuff
I'll continue with VN reading and sentence-grinding in a few days, maybe a week

>> No.7751610
File: 22 KB, 500x238, 2rcyecx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7751570
When I first started with Tim Kae, I thought so too, but I kept reading until I had gone over everything. I then went back and read it again with the help of the books pictured. If I didn't understand, I went to reference in those books what exactly it was that Tim was trying to tell me.
Even so, after completing the tutorials again, I saw that, while useful, there was plenty missing. So, now I'm going to reread it and hope that my Japanese class fills me in.

My advice to you would be to continue in the tutorials, but when he starts talking about the の and か particles, or whatever it is you have trouble with, it might be time to hit the reference guide. If I can find a PDF of them, I'll try to post them here.

>> No.7751612

Nonexistent, I am afraid.
Being forced to study 12 hours a day on how to run a nuclear reactor takes a little too much out of me to want to do anything other than drink.

>> No.7751622

>>7751612
Thumbs up from a fellow engineer. During the year, I don't have any spare time. During the holidays, I've already resolved to do an extra maths textbook. So far: Complex Analysis.

Also: I get a major headache from learning a language. I just seems incapable of learning anything by head anymore.

>> No.7751636

>>7751610
Thank you, that will be very much appreciated, good sir.

>> No.7751638
File: 2.94 MB, 4316x2427, 1273901887982.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7751584
The best way to do kanji, as far as my own experience reflects, is to do them in the context of vocabulary. Just build a couple decks of words you have practiced at least once, one with only the English words, and another with only the vocabulary (as they would appear in a written publication). Then, when going through the English deck, write the word out as you would see them in a publication (the same listing that would be part of your other deck). That way you can draw from memory a word to suit your need by remembering how to draw the kanji, yet you can also have fast reading comprehension through the normal deck in which you have listed the kanji on the front and the English description on the back.

>> No.7751640

RTK 1600+ Feels good to recognize more and more kanji while browsing.
Especially when using rikaikun on a compound where you know each character individually, and start thinking that the actual word made a lot of sense.

>> No.7751670 [DELETED] 

This is actually getting serious responses?

Jesus Christ guys.

>> No.7751674
File: 1.12 MB, 2592x1944, 1273948406854.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7751636
These are the first two books.

A Dictionary Of Basic Japanese Grammar:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UHJXPPNR

A Dictionary Of Intermediate Japanese Grammar:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T7OL1D54

>> No.7751695

Japanese with Nama sensei!

I know about 30 Kana at the moment, but I'm still not too familiar with them. I just started a few days ago, so guess all I need is practice

>> No.7751701

>>7751674
Thanks, man.

>> No.7751727

Being a Korean and having lived there until I was 13 serves me well when it comes to learning Japanese. The grammatical structure is nearly identical and although I have forgotten most of the hanja (kanji), I still know at least 50~100 common kanji.
If all I ever wanted to do was read VNs, I wouldn't even need to learn Japanese since the machine translated text very comprehensible especially using TA on top of ezTrans (it's like ATLAS for Korean).

As for the actual topic of studying Japanese, I watched raw Carnival Phantasm the other day, and I could understand about half of it, so I guess it's progressing decently.

>> No.7751745

I was doing a little but holy shit it's so fucking boring and time consuming. I don't know how the Japanese do it.

>> No.7751778

I'm teaching myself Hymmnos instead.

>> No.7751831

Pretty slow now. Going to finish remaining jlpt1 kanjis in to days. Gotta resume studing since I have exams to take in two weeks.

>> No.7751906

I'm on 43th lesson in "My Japanese Coach" pretty neat right?

>> No.7751951

I'm halfway done with Genki book. But I'm taking it easy because I'm afraid of work and progress.

>> No.7751983

>>7751580
How about this.It's for 6-12 years old japanese.
http://gakuen.gifu-net.ed.jp/~contents/tyu_kokugo/kanji_syou/index.htm
学習する漢字(The kanji which you will learn in this grade)
読みの問題(reading) 書きの問題(writing)
You can see the answer when you click ( )

>> No.7751996

Got all the kana and some 200 kanji but haven't tried grammar because my reading speed is horrible.

>>7751745
like how you'd learn your mother language

>> No.7751997
File: 74 KB, 283x270, 1302184286097.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm going to start studying next week...

I also said this 10 years ago

>> No.7752028

At like 1400 in RTK1 and starting to find it really hard to remember everything as several kanji at this point have 4-5 different elements. Already know all the kana and all them weeaboo words we all know. Should be through with that within the next month, then I'll just keep it for review and get to trying to read actual sentences and such.

>> No.7752030

>>7751575
Because the translation will always be only an imitation at best, and discussing translated anime and visual novels is nothing more than masturbation.

>> No.7752031

>>7751509
Pretty good. 15 days into KanjiDamage and I know about 260 Kanji with meaning, on-reading and kun-reading if it's 4+ stars.
If you're looking for a good way to learn Kanji without grinding hours a day you should definitely give KanjiDamage a try. Just add 5 or so a day and you'll easily be able to learn them all within a year while taking it easy (~30 minutes a day).
At the beginning you might want to add more. That's okay, I added like 30 a day for the first 4 days. But make sure not to overdo it. 5-10 new cards a day is totally okay. Just make sure you study every day. When you feel like it's getting too much, don't add new cards but still review all due ones. Don't leave out a single day. That's very important.

>> No.7752036

I took one class about a year ago. I've always disliked school and after multiple years of NEET the biggest struggle was forcing myself to drive to the school and interact with the people in the classroom. I felt very out of place interacting with those people and seeing them struggle while I was breezing through the class. After the class ended I told myself that it was more trouble than it's worth to take a traditional class and that it'd be no big deal if I didn't enroll in the next class and just self-studied instead. The book has been sitting in my closet ever since.

>> No.7752047

I've been learning on my own for a little over 2 years and a half. In the beginning I read Tae Kim's guide and looked up some stuff in "All About particles". Then I started deciphering pretty much anything with Rikaichan and when I was able to recognise a word after seeing it a few times, I'd input it in Anki.
It's not the most efficient way but I hate learning from lists and I can't bring myself to read a more substantial grammar book, so it works for me.

I've been able to read romance or everyday life based stuff (Love +, Im@s kind of stories) for about a year now. I finished Air a few months ago and it was the first VN I read without relying on AGTH + FI.
Then yesterday I tried reading a "real" novel (Ningen Shikkaku) and I'm back to looking up a word every few lines.

>> No.7752048

>>7751997
I've been saying that for years.

>> No.7752090

>>7752048
Yup..
Does someone have any tips on how to get over it? And on the run to keep yourself motivated?
>>7752047
Seems like the most fun way to do it, I think of trying this out combined with other stuff.

>> No.7752107

>>7752090

The only motivation you should need it that it'll help you enjoy your interests more. It also helps to know that when it comes down to it, it isn't really that hard, just long, but you'll eventually learn it if you don't stop trying. Once you've really gotten started you shouldn't want to stop.

>> No.7752115

>>7752090
Most likely, there's an eroge you REALLY want to play right now, but it isn't translated. Whenever you run out of motivation, watch it's OP. No really, do it. I did that for months and it seldom failed me, even though I ended up memorizing the whole video. Still, made me go into a "FUCK IF I'M GOING TO MISS THIS SHIT" mood.

>> No.7752118

>>7752030
That's the weakest argument I've ever heard in defense of anything.

>> No.7752132

>>7752090
For a while last year I listened to the good Hatsune Miku concert almost daily. I've been studying japanese seriously for about six months now, and a few weeks ago I listened to that concert again.

I was so happy to be able to understand the words now I almost cried.

It was a motivating experience.

>> No.7752140
File: 422 KB, 670x800, yume dressed as cat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No point in learning Japanese before going to Gensokyo - you can just ask Yukari to remove language border.

>> No.7752139

I haven't studied Japanese for a year. I thought there was a chance for awhile I would be living in a Japan, so I studied the language and my main motivation was "There's a chance I'm going to really, really need this shit in the near future". Then it turned out I'd be staying here in the US, and I haven't studied it since. Don't really see the point. My main motivation now would be video games, anime, manga, hentai, etc. but all of those industries in Japan are dying and are already quite anemic, so what's the point? Even if they were active it's not a terribly great reason to learn the language, nor is it a strong motivator ("someone else will translate this for me").

>> No.7752145

>>7752031
How much vocab and grammar did you know going in? Nothing? An amount you would know after a first year college class? Were you already fluent but just illiterate?

>> No.7752162

Pretty good until I caved in to habit and checked /jp/.

>> No.7752165

Whatever happened to the anon that started taking classes in order to redeem himself from shitposting, and ended up meeting a bunch of nice Touhou discussing, Vocaloid listening, bento eating weaboos? I'd like a status update. Have your "friends" tossed you aside yet, making you realize life really just play tricks on you or has your friendship and knowledge prospered?

>> No.7752172

>>7752165
How do you redeem yourself of doing evil by learning a new language? That makes as much sense as a slaver redeeming his violence by planting flowers.

>> No.7752236

>>7752145
Hiragana + katakana and the first 6 chapters of Genki 1. You don't need to know grammar for learning kanji but knowing kana is very important.

>> No.7752237

>>7751512
I'm wondering why people bash rosetta stone when they themselves haven't gone through all 3 levels. I'm re-installing it now and from testing it so far it does a good job with exposure to sentence structure,and that's all what matters.

>> No.7752240

>>7752165
I started doing these classes last Sunday, dude. Betrayal and deception take a couple of weeks, not days.

>> No.7752507

For those of you who have finished volume 1 of RTK, where did you guys go on from there?
I'm thinking going onto volume 2 is only natural, but maybe someone else here found something better or found volume 2 to be terrible, hence why I'm asking.

>> No.7752648 [DELETED] 

I stopped once smart.fm closed.

Now that school is starting up again though I think I might as well continue with rosetta stone. I left off halfway through level 2.

>> No.7752653

nukige everyday

>> No.7752676

>>7752507

I'm told that RTK2 is built primarily of extremely uncommon kanji and it's basically unnecessary. RTK1 has all the commonly used kanji, you ought to work on sentence recognition, however you decide to go about that.

>> No.7752759

>>7752676
I think you're talking about RTK3. RTK2 teaches the onyumi and kunyomi readings of the kanji taught in RTK1, I beliece.

>> No.7752762

>>7752759
I believe. *
Excuse me.

>> No.7752766

RTK1 flash cards on phone while out / at work, Genki and other stuff at home.

I think I won't bother with RTK2, though. The more I look into it the more it seems pointless to memorize readings as opposed to just learning per-word readings when doing vocab.

>> No.7752813

>>7752759

Huh, I didn't know that actually. I agree with what >>7752766 said on that though, learning pronunciations on a word-to-word basis sounds like a better way to go about it.

>> No.7752818

>>7752766

I'd at least learn the onyomi, it's extremely helpful. Just add them to your flashcards.

>> No.7752915

>>7752818
I started kanjidamage a while ago so I know some of them, but as I went through it I found that either a. a kanji's pronunciations varied enough from word to word that it was easier just to learn the pronunciations on a word by word bases or b. a kanji had one or two pronunciations used 90% of the time that in looking at it's common compound vocabulary, I would pick up on the on / kun anyway.

I may be wrong but it's how it's appeared so far in an early stage. PS Kodansha learner's dictionary appreesh.

>> No.7753547

I went up to the university and studied Japanese for 8 hours on monday, mostly kanji. Most of what I'm missing is words and grammar, but I'm also not familiar with a lot of really common kanji. So I spent a night writing kanji, readings, and words from JLPT 1 while I took a test on it. I used mostly JWPce on a tablet PC, Remembering the Kanji 1, Genki II, and this website:
http://www.tanos.co.uk/jlpt/

I could probably pass JLPT1, but I'm not satisfied with how many questions I would miss because I haven't been using JLPT study materials before.

>> No.7753558

I meant JLPT5.

I have a shitload of Japanese language learning books. There's no "what do I do now" because the answer is "any of it. Just fucking do it. Write and speak and keep fucking up until you get it right".

>> No.7753574

I know 10 Hiragana so far, lol. Started 2 days ago, but now I borrowed "an integrated coursde in elementary japanese" which has some neat exercises for learning hiragana so I'm pretty confident of learning them soon.

also
>>7751674, thanks pal, this is going to help.. some day.. I guess

>> No.7753645

>>7753574

Download a SRS program like Anki. Then create or download a hiragana and katakana deck. Then just drill those fucking things until they're embedded into your brain. I learned both in 3 days that way.

>> No.7753652

>>7753645
yea, people recommended this for learning kanji.. but I guess I'll try it for Kana aswell, thanks

>> No.7753657

>>7753645

> 3 days

mind blown, i need to get this

>> No.7753671

this is a book in simplified Chinese.....

>> No.7753678

kana be simple, lazy and know about 6 kanji

>> No.7753680

>>>/int/

>> No.7753698

anyone have a link to a good hiragana deck for anki? Googled one or two, wondering if anyone has one they swear by

>> No.7753703

>>7753698
There isn't much to a hiragana deck, just get any. File-> Download -> Shared deck

>> No.7753704

>>7753698
It's not worth it. You already wasted more time searching for stuff like that than it'd take to learn half of them.

>> No.7753720

Kanji are used most commonly as morphemes. Studying them in isolation is retarded, as is claiming to 'know' them. What do people mean by 'knowing' kanji?

Knowing how to write them? Useless to a foreigner unless you live in Japan.

Knowing their broad overall meaning(s)? EDICT usually gives a half dozen often disparate suggestions for each, and they all tend to fall apart or become extremely obtusely applied in the context of actual words, setting aside even obvious examples like ateji.

Pronunctiation? There's usually two or three On readings at minimum on top of native Japanese words as well as the occasional anomolies that derive from neither. Totally unreliable and unworth studying in isolation.

Exhaustively knowing all the various combinations and okurigana comprising actual Japanese words? This is surely the most accomplished if not immediately practical path as it actually constitutes learning the language instead of simply dickwaving arbitrary numbers on the Internet, but I don't think anyone who counts the number of kanji they know to a semi-finite value actually does this.

So that leaves the conclusion that counting the number of kanji you 'know' is actually vacuous wankery and hardly related to measuring one's understanding of the language at all. So why do these threads keep happening?

>> No.7753733

>>7753720
It does seem like you should just learn them as part of the spelling of common words. That's practical.

>> No.7753744

A year ago I tried to learn via Kanjidamage and while it was nice to learn, it was pretty bad to test yourself.

Then I tested anki decks but I found the whole "Good/Easy/Very easy" thing a bit confusing and most of the time I end up clicking easy because once you see the answer that's what it feels like.

So I ended up writing my own program in C# using kanjidamage and progressively adding more kanji, asking meaning, on'yomi, kun'yomi and vocabulary, choosing the questions depending on your number of right/wrong answers and the number of stars on kanjidamage. It worked well but had some limitations (I had to write exactly the answer from kanjidamage to get a right answer, altough I could "contest" a wrong answer). I wanted to add a lot of stuff but of course I got lazy and never did it.

As I'm sure there are some other programs like that out there, could anyone name one ? Mainly I want something that expects a precise answer, not just asks you if you "feel" you got it right.

>> No.7753754

I should get around to it one of these days.

>> No.7753755

>>7753744
How do you find the "Good/Easy/Very easy" system difficult to understand? Surely you have experienced times where you struggled to recall, versus consciously recall, versus instant recall.
Anki also has an option of checking your answers, but I haven't made use of it.

>> No.7753783

>>7753755
Well perhaps I didn't quite grab the right deck either. When there are like 5 info on a single card, and there's only one of them I didn't really remember, I'm not sure what I should answer. It would be better if the program would just ask me that specific point the next time. Also since I already know a couple hundred of kanjis and a few words for each of them, I tend to skip a lot of stuff from the cards suggested, even if I have forgotten a bit of info here and there.

I just seemed to notice at the time that I'll make more effort to remember if I'm forced to type out the answer everytime. Then again, I tried anki for like 30 mins before dismissing it; maybe it gets better after but it feels like it could be more efficient.

>> No.7753787

>>7753755
Also, I didn't find said option. Do you know where it should be ?

>> No.7753808

>>7753787
You can set the answer display up for your deck so it only shows certain categories of information in anki. Then you're only judging your answer based on 1-2 categories at most and it's not quite as abstract.

>> No.7753919

>>7753787
http://ankisrs.net/docs/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.html#_how_can_i_type_in_the_answer

The developers do recommend not putting too much info on a single card.

My experiences are dissimilar with you since I'm learning through core2k/core6k rather than RTK/kanjidamage.

>> No.7754126

"learning in isolation"
"you'll be learning it twice"
"wasting your time learning"
"you'll learn it wrong"
"there's a time saving shortcut method"
"you can learn without spending a lot of time on it"
"the amount of time is insane"
"I'm so obsessed about how much time I have to spend on understanding Japanese because the English language is just something I do for one hour a day and the rest of the time I don't do anything containing language at all. I also learned everything about English so fast and know everything about English now"
"you'll never be accepted"
"only exists in Japan"
"WW2 is still relevant"
"levels of Japanese language/culture learning are real and you'll be in trouble for not sticking to them"
"Japanese/kana/kanji/vocabulary/grammar are so hard"
"I'm not experiencing a feeling of progress and my brain's not acting like a hard drive so that means I'm doing something wrong"

>> No.7754209
File: 83 KB, 640x480, a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

JRPGer reporting in.

Here are my stats from ~/jap/jrpg.
---------------------------
20110720 4 8 37 106 / 155
20110721 4 9 39 105 / 157
20110731 5 25 43 102 / 175 -- 1463
20110802 5 31 53 95 / 184 -- 1454
20110803 6 32 51 98 / 187 -- 1451
20110805 8 37 66 99 / 210 -- 1428
20110806 10 38 73 94 / 215 -- 1423
20110808 16 65 120 61 / 262 -- 1376
20110809 16 81 129 54 / 280 -- 1358
20110810 16 86 130 54 / 286 -- 1352
20110811 18 93 129 56 / 296 -- 1342
20110812 18 100 122 61 / 301 -- 1337
20110813 19 112 119 63 / 313 -- 1325
20110815 21 118 117 60 / 316 -- 1322
---------------------------

In Genki 1 I'm on 294th page (all lessons are completed and only exercises left).

I also bought Japanese reader collection Vol1 : Hikoichi for Kindle and read first tale. I didn't understand more than half.

Also I bought Japanese Grammar (Barron's Grammar Series) but since it used romaji only I returned it to Amazon.

>>7753744
I did almost the same with difference that I use words instead of kanji and use python instead of c#. My program accept seither reading or translation as answer, but I always enter reading only. If I don't remember translation, I just input bogus answer and script prints correct information. Usual session looks like

> [program output] 過去
> [my input] かこ
> [output] 人
> [my input] ひとお
> [output] incorrect! 人 is person, ひと. try once more
> [my input] ひと

>> No.7754230

>>7753720

For me knowing means that 1) I know at least one word with this kanji 2) I can recognize it 3) I can get the meaning in multi-kanji words which I never learned before

For example from knowing 日本 and 車 I can tell the meaning of 日本車.

>> No.7754237

Finished Heisig RtK 1 + supplement
Finished core 2k
Finished core 6k
Covered all Tae Kim grammar
Currently reading VNs with translation aggregator (only for the readings and WWWJDIC entries, don't need crappy english translations)

>> No.7754267

>>7753919
Thanks, that was what I was looking for.

>>7754209
I tried jrpg a couple of days ago actually but it crashed after 15 mins the first time and about an hour the second time, so I didn't insist. It's a nice program for testing yourself, but it lacks a "learning" feature. Furigana over the example sentences would have been nice too. If I can find why it crashes maybe I'll give it another try.

My program did basically the same thing as yours except questions were closer to "On'yomi of 本" or "Reading of 日本", with the user data stored in a SQL database. Both the questions and the answers contained a link back to kanjidamage to study too. All in all I think I should finish adding the features I wanted, it might interest someone looking for something less generic than anki.

>> No.7754269

I'm 1493 kanji into RtK1, and I'll be finished in three weeks if I keep plowing through them at my current rate of 25+ a day. I don't think I'll go on to RtK2, though, since I've noticed that I learn kanji better in the context of vocabulary (as >>7751638 said). Also, I haven't studied any grammar outside of Namasensei's videos, since Tae Kim's guide seemed a bit overwhelming with how it heaped kanji on you (hence why I started with RtK), so I'll probably do that next and pick up vocabulary on the way.

As for motivation, I just imagine myself reading what I most want to read (like >>7752115 does), which in my case would be the Kino's Journey novels, Super Robot Wars, or the Muv Luv spinoffs.

>> No.7754283

I can't even read Hiragana.

>> No.7754302

I had done about 450 kanji when I lost my anki data. Waiting warmly for data restore. I'm not sure if I should just begin the deck anew, but repeating the ones I know is kind of irritating. Is there any button for "I know how to write Monday already so don't shove that in my face ever again kthx" in Anki?

>> No.7754308

>>7754267
>>7754209
Got a link for that?

>> No.7754309

Three weeks ago I learned that my computer displays Chinese glyphs instead of Japanese, i.e. 直 was rendered like vertical composition of 十目 with extra stroke in 目 instead of L十目. Confusion ensued.

>> No.7754327

>>7754308
http://taw.chaosforge.org/jrpg/

>>7754267
>If I can find why it crashes maybe I'll give it another try.
Does it write anything in the console? BTW I found a little bug while ago - it's necessary to change file modes to binary for all files handled by pickle, i.e

#f = open("savefile", "r")
f = open("savefile", "rb") # added 'b' here
ld = pickle.load(f)

otherwise if you try to load savefile that was created by windows in linux, it will crash because pickle sucks at removing end-of-line from strings.

>> No.7754356

>>7754327
If I understand http://t-a-w.blogspot.com/2007/06/making-it-easy-for-users-to-write.html right, there should be some error file (I'm on Windows), but there isn't any.

>> No.7754396
File: 23 KB, 666x256, confusionensuing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7754309

>> No.7754416

>>7754327
thanks, that looks really nice. If I'm somehow confident about the Hiragana I'll give this a try ^^

>> No.7754429
File: 11 KB, 360x40, 360px-直-jbw.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7754396
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E7%9B%B4

Japanese version is picrelated

>> No.7754443

90% of this thread talk about Japanese study more than they actually do it. How about you shut up about whatever excuse you have and just learn the fucking language. All you idiots who are trying to compare methods are making excuses. You WILL have your asses handed to you when (if) you actually go to Japan because only the people who actually made time to study will be taken seriously. Take it from me, I was in the former class.

>> No.7754455
File: 59 KB, 640x433, wtf-is-that-shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7754443
> You WILL have your asses handed to you when (if) you actually go to Japan
Why would we want to go to Japan?

>> No.7754460

>>7754429
Goddamn Chinese graphical variants are annoying. Everything should display Japanese originals only.

>> No.7754465 [DELETED] 

kongregate.com/games/Leviathan278/terminal-velocity-prototype

>> No.7754475

>>7754465
> Unity.
Fuck that shit

>> No.7754483

>>7754465
That is the most horrible racing game I ever played. Why would you ever have a mouse-controlled camera on a racing game?

>> No.7754495

>>7754460
>Everything should display Japanese originals only.

Goddamn those American spellings of English words are annoying. Everything should be spelt using South African spellings only.

>> No.7754498

>>7754495
Comparing the original Latin pronunciations of the current English alphabet would be a better analogy. I.E. not a very close one.

>> No.7754506

>>7754443
I don't study Japanese and I don't think I ever will, but it seems like you're a bit mad that it was your own fault you fucked up somewhere along the way when you were studying Japanese. You really shouldn't state your own personal experiences as facts and that they'll happen to everyone else too, it really makes you seem like an ass. Which you probably are.

>> No.7754507

>>7754460
I actualy would prefer to use some simplified Chinese variants of simplifications instead of Japanese, e.g. 语 > 語. i-shaped radical is so beautiful

>> No.7754523

>>7754506
I'm not that mad, really, but I did notice that it is easier to talk about studying Japanese than it is to study it. Now that I'm over here, I better understand that time standing around arguing about how the Heisig system is better, or about some aesthetic distinction between the Chinese rendition of the same character, could be better spent actually studying. I'm not saying that I was one of those guys, I'm saying that I've seen plenty of what happens to these "intellectuals" when it actually comes to speaking Japanese.

>> No.7754534
File: 85 KB, 992x751, weeaboo2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7754583

>>7754507
Simplified characters are for morons. Japanese stays true to the exalted Asian culture.

>> No.7754604

>>7754507
Do you even know how to write that radical by hand? The printed version is not the same.

>> No.7754766
File: 104 KB, 562x437, haha-fuckyou.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7754604
I write in print letters. Both in my native language and in English. There is literaly no point to learn hand written/cursive versions of characters. Espically because they were created by morons: さ in 3 strokes with hole in the middle? Nope, fuck that shit. Printed versions ftw.

>> No.7755833

>Pronunctiation? There's usually two or three On readings at minimum on top of native Japanese words as well as the occasional anomolies that derive from neither. Totally unreliable and unworth studying in isolation.

>Exhaustively knowing all the various combinations and okurigana comprising actual Japanese words? This is surely the most accomplished if not immediately practical path as it actually constitutes learning the language instead of simply dickwaving arbitrary numbers on the Internet, but I don't think anyone who counts the number of kanji they know to a semi-finite value actually does this.

>So that leaves the conclusion that counting the number of kanji you 'know' is actually vacuous wankery and hardly related to measuring one's understanding of the language at all. So why do these threads keep happening?

But people in this thread have already been suggesting learning through vocabulary.

Keep in mind, the book is called 'Remembering' the kanji not 'Knowing' the kanji. I don't think anyone will claim to know the language after completed RTK, but being able to recall all of those kanji when learning vocabulary is what makes it easier.

>> No.7755902 [DELETED] 
File: 19 KB, 379x336, pashtun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>وایي چې زه دا خرابه ژبه درس ووایم

> مخ مې کله چې تا فکر وکړې چې زه به هڅکله دا ژبه درس ووامیم

>> No.7755945

To be honest, I'm in strange situation, As a Nikei, I can speak and understand Japanese fine as I grew up with the language with my parents, however I have never formally studied it. Which puts me at a point where I can watch anime, listen to web radio, and "listen" to full voice visual novels, but I cant "read" visual novels, manga or the Japanese web without furigana assistance. Even when I do, I am slow.
I have completed JLPT 3, but that was back when I was in grade 10, and since then, I have not studied any formal Japanese. I can't read kanji for jack shit.

So I'd say pretty bad. I genuinely wish I could study Japanese more, however my university does not offer it.

>> No.7755965

>>7754766
So you mean that you write the letter G like this -> g ??

What a huge faggot

>> No.7755966

>>7754309

Oh my, I've seen it printed the second way in Chinese books but I didn't think anyone actually wrote it that way

>> No.7755972

>>7755965
Are you an idiot? That's a completely normal way to write the g if you're not writing in capitals.

>> No.7755982

>>7755965
No I'm a fucking grown ass man and write all my shit in proper engineering type which means only W is allowed to be more than 6 units wide and everything in TOM Q VAXY are EXACTLY 6 units while all the remaining letters are 5 units, except of course I. Also learn to fucking make your curves out of PROPER 3.5 UNIT ELLIPSES you piece of shit.

Also I practice proper fucking stroke order you PLEBEIAN.

>> No.7755991
File: 64 KB, 480x403, 1282028098942.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7755982
>proper stroke order
>for Latin characters

>> No.7755993

>>7753720
>Knowing their broad overall meaning(s)?
This is actually extremely useful in guessing the meaning of words you don't know. It's only when they make strange phrases that you have problems.

>Pronunciation? There's usually two or three On readings at minimum on top of native Japanese words as well as the occasional anomolies that derive from neither.
Knowing this is good for reading names.

>> No.7756004
File: 49 KB, 492x369, DSC00893.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7756001

>> No.7756001
File: 47 KB, 492x369, DSC00895.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

been drawing all over my book

>> No.7756011
File: 52 KB, 492x369, DSC00896.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7756004

>> No.7756012
File: 68 KB, 492x369, DSC00892.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7756011

>> No.7756014
File: 50 KB, 492x369, DSC00894.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7756012

>> No.7756015
File: 300 KB, 289x458, frog.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7756014

>> No.7756017
File: 64 KB, 492x369, DSC00891.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7756015

>> No.7756021

It's like I'm in middle-school again.

>> No.7756027
File: 55 KB, 600x375, Fuck-you-Frog-Mad-Russians-31908.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7756015
whoa, thats scary

>> No.7756032

>>7755993

Guessing the meaning of a word is senseless. If you don't know it, you don't know it. Even if you're reading something that isn't completely left field(e.g. 戦略) and you grasp the meanings the margin of error is far to wide. Would you really look at 切符, read it as "cut token", and safely assume it means "ticket"? Yes, it makes sense in retrospect, but maybe it means "money", or "souvenir", or something completely abstract? Add it to an anki deck and move on. Some kanji have obvious meanings as latinate words in English do, but most don't.

>>7755993

japanese names are 95% of the time based on kun readings. If you're studying kun readings, you're studying words, not kanji.

>> No.7756038

>>7756001
lol

>> No.7756092
File: 75 KB, 877x620, uporg2058424.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7756001
Meanwhile in Japan

>> No.7756128

>>7756092
>usakeruna!
Goddamn, I lost it.

>> No.7756131
File: 30 KB, 360x359, 1269169239282.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

09.01.2011 - Starts studying
--Kana--
12.01.2011 - Hiragana learned
15.01.2011 - Katakana learned

--Heisig RTK--
22.01.2011 - Kanjis 250 learned
31.01.2011 - Kanjis 500 learned
08.02.2011 - Kanjis 750 learned
16.02.2011 - Kanjis 1000 learned
26.02.2011 - Kanjis 1250 learned
07.03.2011 - Kanjis 1500 learned
17.03.2011 - Kanjis 1750 learned
28.03.2011 - Kanjis 2042 learned

--Grammar and Vocab--
28.03.2011 - Tae Kim's Grammar Guide
*finish Tae Kim at some point*
11.05.2011 - Core 2000 Anki Deck
03.07.2011 - Core 2000 Anki Deck finished

--Learning through VNs--
*start reading VNs with TransAg/AGTH/JPARSER*
xx.xx.2011 - Start my own VN vocab deck using pastecopy.net (to copy pasta texts) and yomichan (to make anki cards)

Now:
about 700 cards in custom deck, keeps reviewing Core 2000 and Tae Kim's

>> No.7756134

>>7756131
>>7756011

>> No.7756143

>>7756092
... wow.

Japanese even fail their tests with style.

>> No.7756275

>>7756131
09.05.2011 - start studying
25.05.2011 - 300 kanji learned (heisig), some of tae kim
31.05.2011 - 400 kanji learned, some of tae kim
01.06.2011 - finish heisig, 410 kanji learned
02.06.2011 - fuck heisig, i'll just start reading eroge

and that's how it went.

>> No.7756625
File: 14 KB, 376x376, 1311857134532.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7756128
>usakeruna

>> No.7756698

I'm at 160 kanji after about two weeks using Anki+Kanjidamage. I can't help but feel that I'm not -really- learning anything at all. Like a month from now I feel like I'm going to not remember any of the meanings, onyomi, and kunyomi.

>> No.7756750
File: 8 KB, 350x264, 歯痛絵.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7756032
> Guessing the meaning of a word is senseless. If you don't know it, you don't know it.

Never heard of "context"? If you really need dictionary to look up 歯医者 when characters discuss toothache and visiting hospital then something is very wrong with you.

>> No.7756802

>>7756275
I did basically this. Except it took 4 months to me.

>> No.7756813
File: 37 KB, 365x639, mad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I quit college Japanese classes partly because "First Year Japanese" is garbage. Why can't they use Genki? This textbook was only good for laughing at the illustrations.

>> No.7756844

>>7756802
Glad to see another non-supergenius here. >>7756131 finished core2k in 2 months, that's an average of 33 new words a day, while I can manage only around 50/week.

>> No.7756861

>>7756698
You should do something like tae kim or genki alongside KD. Even if it's small stupid things like genki using 'さかな’ in a lesson and you saying to yourself 'hey I know the kanji for that' it can keep you a little more motivated.

>> No.7756988

I've recently moved from Japan to New York.
so, I want to study English...

>> No.7757008

Does Heisig actually work well or what? I'd like to increase my kanji, but Anki is so boring.

>> No.7757097

Google translates

「彼女で一緒にお菓子を食べた。」

as "She ate the candy together."

Can it be implied that she at the candy together with me, or would I need to specify myself in there somewhere?

>> No.7757108

>>7757097
Your sentence confuses me. My Japanese skills are meagre but should it not be 彼女と一緒にお菓子を食べた instead of the で.

>> No.7757115

>>7757108
You're right.

I found a sample sentence:

「あなたと一緒にいて楽しかった。」 - I really enjoyed your company.

>> No.7757136
File: 227 KB, 600x425, 1281523294128.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

「彼女で一緒にお菓子を食べた。」 ×

「彼女と一緒にお菓子を食べた」○
kanojo to issyo ni okashi wo tabeta
(I ate candy with her)

If you have questions, please call 「miseso」 by skype.
English is so difficult...

>> No.7757233
File: 2.61 MB, 3008x2000, DSC_0538.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7757136
You're trying to learn English, and you actually feel confident talking on Skype? Wow!

Of the people here, I'm willing to bet that almost no one is nearly that confident with spoken Japanese.

>> No.7757715

>>7757097
Of course it's context-dependant but usually in that kind of sentences "I" is indeed the implied subject. Tacking on a 私は in front of the sentence is technically correct but redundant and sounds bad, unless you're emphasizing that it's 私 as opposed to someone else who ate candy with her.

>> No.7757767
File: 25 KB, 236x344, 1312618871970.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just studied Japanese for 6 hours while mikka bouzu talked about it.

>> No.7757899

>>7756861
>keep you a little more motivated.
I'm not particularly worried about my motivation at all. I mean I can read a whole lot more even though I'm ~170 kanji in now. I'm also going through Tae Kim while doing it though the 「が」 and 「は」 particles are confusing me.

The thing I'm more worried about is actually forgetting stuff a month from now. Like a significant amount. And when I forget it I would have to re-learn it again and continue this endless loop of forgetting then having to relearn it all over again.

>> No.7757936

Wtf? 3 years ago I told everyone I was learning about 4 words a day and you called me slow and retarded. Now I come back and you still haven't memorized all the Kanji yet? I have a vocabulary of about 4000 words and can hold a basic conversation now. Fuck you /jp/

>> No.7757950

>>7757936
You need to know about 10,000 words to begin reading at a comfortable level. 4000 words in no way would cover all the kanji used in a daily article.

>> No.7758002

>>7757950
>Core 1000: Mastering these 1,000 items and sentences will give you the vocabulary and sentence patterns to function in most everyday situations.
>Core 2000: Mastering all the items in the Core 1000 and Core 2000 will give you a very strong foundation in Japanese. Not only will you understand dialogue in most basic situations, you’ll also start to develop skills for reading on your own.
>Core 3000: Mastering all 3,000 items and sentences of the Japanese Core 1000, 2000, and 3000 will put you in a position to start reading Japanese without the assistance of dictionaries.
>Core 4000: Mastering all 4,000 items and sentences of the Japanese Core 1000, 2000, 3000, and 4000 will allow you to function independently in most contexts.
>Core 5000: The Core 5000 is designed for advanced students of Japanese who are confident in their speaking and reading skills, but who want to dive deeper into Japanese literature.
>Core 6000: The Core 6000 is designed to help advanced students reach a level where they can read difficult materials on their own. Students who master all 6,000 words in the Japanese Core category will be well on their way to mastering Japanese!

I think I'm going to trust that, rather than some anon in this thread, where everyone feels like exaggerating the difficulty of Japanese to feel better about themselves. Hell, JLPT1 is just 8000 words, and you better have been reading for yourself for a fucking long time if you're planning to do that one.

>> No.7758007

>>7757936
I think there's some Chinese saying about this involving stones and constantly dripping water.

>> No.7758024

>>7758007
If you have constantly dripping water, you're going to want to plug it up with a stone, otherwise it will get annoying.

>> No.7758025

hey bros i'm at jplt n2 level right now. i've been taking japanese formally for the past 3 years and next month i'm going to tokyo to study abroad for 1 year.

here's a link to the book we used my 3rd year:
http://ebookee.org/An-Integrated-Approach-to-Intermediate-Japanese-with-2-Audio-CDs-_1122697.html

it's the continuation after the genki series.

study hard bros

>> No.7758022

>>7758007
滴水穿石

>> No.7758037

>>7754583
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjitai

uh, what?

>> No.7758038

>>7757950
As non-native English speaker who knows ~10000 words (according to http://testyourvocab.com/)) I can confirm that 一万 words (hmm. what is a counter for words?) is enough to read texts effortlessly in foreign language.

>> No.7758204

>>7758025
Hey, thanks for that link! I'd been going through the Genki books myself, but hadn't been able to find the continuation.

>> No.7758220

>>7758204
no problem bro. glad i could help

>> No.7758226

>>7758025
AFS program?

>> No.7758229

Is there any pdf of genki 2nd edition

>> No.7758262

>>7758226
what is AFS?

basically my university's japanese department in socal has a good rapport with a lot of unis in japan so there's a ton of school that you can do a direct exchange at. direct exchange means that i pay the tuition of my home institution instead of paying for the cost of the japanese school. this is a lot cheaper and most of my expenses will be coming from dorm rent and eating.

>>7758229
iirc there's a huge japanese language learning torrent that was on demonoid that i found that should have it.

but googling for 10secs i found this
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YMMY31M9
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1D3GWKLH
2 parts

pw:http://nihongo-dekimasu.blogspot.com

original link:http://nihongo-dekimasu.blogspot.com/2007/12/genki-2-integrated-course-in-elementary.html

i didn't check it cause i'm lazy

>> No.7758276

>>7758262
it's a high school exchange program

>> No.7758310

>>7758262
me again

http://free-books.dontexist.com/search?req=genki&nametype=orig&column[]=title&column[]=a
uthor&column[]=series&column[]=publisher&column[]=year

has both 1 and 2. still haven't checked it.

>> No.7758322

I just began studying Japanese about 4 weeks ago. Still quite basic. I've only got kana down. I also know the meaning to thousands of kanji, but I have no idea how to say them.

And op, that's Chinese and it's really simple simplified Chinese.

>> No.7758339

Going well actually.... Playing my games and reading my VNs. Talking to people and picking up new words etc. Just following the process now. My understanding is still greatly superior to my recollection when speaking however.

>> No.7759278

I have a related question.

Could I rephrase:

「主人公が犯人だったというのが一番面白かった。」
(Translated my Tim Kae as "The most interesting thing was that the main character was the criminal.")

as

「主人公が犯人だった物が一番面白かった。」

without losing significant meaning?

>> No.7759328

>>7759278
>It was the most interesting that the hero was a criminal.

>The thing whose hero was a criminal was the most interesting.

I don't think 物 and という works the way you expect it to.

>> No.7759335

>>7759278
Maybe with こと instead of 物. The concept of the protagonist being the criminal isn't a physical object.

>> No.7759350

>>7759278
物 only means thing as in physical object. Thus it changes meaning to "The most interesting things (books) were those with the protagonist as villain".

>> No.7759393
File: 986 KB, 1200x883, 1294090604366.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7759328
>>7759335
>>7759350
Thanks.

>> No.7761195
File: 92 KB, 841x1000, 1281521467799.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

仕事から帰ってきたらスレが伸びてる!

みなさん勉強がんばってください!

私も英語がんばります!

By the way,No one contact me...

>> No.7761392

>>7751778

If you haven't mastered Hymnos already you're never going to master it.

>> No.7763002
File: 140 KB, 806x625, mk1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What the hell does this mean? I'm too lazy to look at takajun's translation.

>> No.7763085

>>7763002
It was so damp I shook my head to clear up and gathered my fellows' power to help.And...

The meaning of the last phrase "みれば" is unclear. Because this is conjunction. The japanese usually use it followed by more phrases. So not knowing how this lines came up, I can't tell you precise meaning, sorry.

>> No.7763226

>>7763085
That's what confuses me the most. I know it means 'if', like 見ればわかる or やればできる, there must be something else.
And where does it say anything about shaking, more like 'while making my head run at full power'.

It'd actually be nice to have a 'VN lines translation help' thread floating around for things like this. We all could learn from it.

>> No.7763262

>>7763226
You obviously need a couple of sentences before or after this one, it's not complete by itself. Context is vital.

>> No.7763273

>>7763226
A sentence ending with a verb of that form should either mean:
1. The if refers to something said previously, as in "いいよね、出来れば", which would just be another way of saying "出来ればいいよね".
2. It implies something that should be obvious for the context. For example, "最初からそう言ってくれば…", which would imply something like "最初からそう言ってくればよかったのに". I guess it could also just imply that something would happen if.

Hope one of those make sense in the context.

>> No.7763327

Detestable, 嫌, has 女 in it.
I laughed when I first saw it.

>> No.7763348

>>7763273
Hmm, I only remember hearing 2 in a more forceful manner, 'why don't you ...?'

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action