[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 158 KB, 800x800, Emiya-Shirou[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7405765 No.7405765 [Reply] [Original]

I just have a quick question, I'll delete this thread once I get an answer. And yeah, I tried Google.

Is the name "Shiro" androgynous? If so, how common is it on either side and is there a difference in the way it can be written?

Thank you!

>> No.7405775

well as you prolly know shiro is just the color white. The name has been used for a pretty long time in japan, more common recently(?) though.

It's generally used as a name for men. Although the meaning is androgynous, the connotation has become somewhat male simply by it's common usage on men.

>> No.7405783

For a girl wouldn't they just put a "-ko" at the end of it?

Like to differentiate Macne Coco black from white some call them Shiroko and Kuroko.

>> No.7405785

In fact I don't recall ever hearing of a female Shiro, so it's safe to say the name is very much male.

Why btw?

>> No.7405806

士郎 isn't shiro
Shirou is a male name, lit. Schoolboy (/sarcasm)
Well the kanji has various meanings so I'm not sure how he wants us to interpret it, but Schoolboy is pretty male in my book.

>> No.7405807

Emiya Shirou's name is obviously masculine:
士郎
Warrior and Son

>> No.7405816

>>7405775
The kanji used in the name is not even fucking close to the one used on the color, don't go assuming things

>> No.7405829

Don't know how good this site is
http://www.hapinemu.net/
but it doesn't have any kanji results for "shiro" male or female, and it doesn't have any results for female "shirou."

Male "shirou:"
司朗
史朗
四朗
士朗
志朗

Plus those same ones with 郎 replacing 朗.

>> No.7405849

aren't nams that end in "ro" usually masculine?

It means, son or something

>> No.7405852

Shiro/Shiroi would be girl's name, right? 白/白い

>> No.7405859

>>7405852
that's an adjective

>> No.7405866

>>7405859
You're an adjective.

>> No.7405873

郎 朗
Any name with either of these kanji will always be masculine. If it was written with different kanji, you might be able to get away with using it for a female, though people would probably think it was a little odd.

>> No.7405886

It's not androgynous

it IS however, one of the more common names used for a pet dog

>> No.7406176

Sorry, I had to go do something.

I appreciate the responses! I take it from the replies that at the very least it would be really uncommon for a girl to be named Shiro/Shirou.

>>7405785

The girl in Deadman Wonderland is named Shiro and I wasn't sure if it was just because her skin and hair were very white or it went both ways. To answer your question, I'm somewhat of an aspiring writer (as a hobby, for the time being) and I figure that starting out with fanfiction is a great way to get better at it all while accruing fans and criticism. I adore the Nasuverse and my plan was to do a Fate/Stay Night fanfic with a gender swapped Shirou and Saber as per originally intended (of course, that wouldn't be the only difference), and I was just wondering if I should keep the name as "Emiya Shirou" or change it to something more feminine. I figure it's a good enough place to start before going off and trying to create my own world (motivationally speaking as well, since I love the Nasuverse and Fate), but that's neither here nor there.

>> No.7406199

>>7406176
>I'm somewhat of an aspiring writer
I'm out

>> No.7406289
File: 48 KB, 750x600, Berserker-Fortitude[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7406199

>Hurr durr im on 4chan guize im cool lol XD.

This thread was just for a simple question anyway, and I was only answering someone else's question.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6689191/1/The_Demon_of_Zero

Surprisingly, I've at least gotten this far. That story alone at least has a dozen more chapters I need to write before I catch up with all that I've planned out. Story boarding, descriptive writing, realistic characters, bringing a world to life. It takes a lot of effort (especially on someone else's character) but I like to think that I'm both smart and creative enough to handle it with practice and study.

We all have to start somewhere, ani. Even people from Nasu to R.L. Stein to Homer. All of your favorite stories? Their authors are no different. This is just the easiest place for myself to start and get a grasp on how to be good. You can hate on me for being a beginner all you want, if that was enough to bother me then I was fucked before I began lol

Anyhow, one more quick question regarding naming then I'll quit bothering you guys; is there any sort of conventional feminine/masculine.... thing used in Japan? Like the masculine "o" and feminine "a" in Spanish (Senora being a feminine way to say Senor)? Something like the previously mentioned "ko" in this thread? Does that apply universally or only certain names? Do they just try to name girls after gentle things and boys after tough things or what?

I really do appreciate it, and this is it, I swear.

>> No.7406310

>>7406289
You would have had much more luck if you didn't mention that you write crossover fanfiction.

Simple solution: Add a -ko to a male name and keep in in English. Now, begone.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action